daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 4th, 2015, 06:29 PM   #641
devo

Likes (Received): 41

Or you could solve this problem by averaging all colors:

(average of eight most used green and blue sign colors)
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2015, 09:15 PM   #642
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
The pictogram sign is universal in Canada and very common in the USA but the "lane ends" text sign is pretty common in the US too, maybe not with the "change lanes" adder, even Americans are not that stupid

The funny one is in Maryland I've seen, lane ends, merge left, with two crazy arrows... I can't find a pic but they're all over 495 if you look...
Maryland uses this sign on highways...

• John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6

Kanadzie liked this post
-Valentino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 11:24 PM   #643
PovilD
Naudotojas

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post

But maybe Lithuania want to change for political reasons? Poland is blue and Russia is green
Most of our signage is Russian-design and changing the design for political reasons would be absurd. I think that the main reason is that Lithuania pops out in the region with its green signage: Kaliningrad Oblast and Belarus doesn't have green avtomagistrales (doesn't heard about plans nether), Poland uses blue and Latvia doesn't have motorways at all. Being more "European" is the government decision and they meant that Lithuania will use the same signage as the most of the biggest European (& EU) economies: Germany, France, UK (German Autobahnen might influenced the most for this change) and might apply new directional signage in motorways.
PovilD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 11:28 PM   #644
PovilD
Naudotojas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFZANMNIM View Post
Does that mean that they will change their "other roads" signs from blue to green as well? And the 50%+50% is number of countries, population-wise, blue has a huge advantage in Europe while green has that advantage worldwide, counting China's extensive motorway network in especially
I meant that other roads will remain blue. (It would cost too much to change all the signage)
Old March 4th, 2015, 11:31 PM   #645
PovilD
Naudotojas

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Or you could solve this problem by averaging all colors:

(average of eight most used green and blue sign colors)
We will average everything to blue anyway: motorways will be blue as the other roads are blue now.
Old March 29th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #646
Losbp

Likes (Received): 5443

Indonesia

Renewal on regulations regarding Traffic Signs in Indonesia last year led expressways to have both green and blue sign on their directional signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losbp View Post
Another development in PM.13 implementation...

JORR

Road Signs in Jakarta by Adriansyah Yasin, on Flickr
Road Signs in Jakarta by Adriansyah Yasin, on Flickr

Transport for Jakarta - FDTJ
Drove in RI AUS NL L B F D CZ A
Losbp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 04:38 PM   #647
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Blue is for toll roads?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 06:15 PM   #648
Losbp

Both of them are toll roads

It is the result of the interpretation of the new regulation in which all arrow per lane directional signs depicted are signed in blue, but the rest of the signs such as the toll road exit and distance sign are signed in green..

Old March 29th, 2015, 09:49 PM   #649
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Fortunately those signs are still in Highway Gothic and not in the imperfect Clearview font.

However I don't understand the difference in colour right now. Maybe it becomes more clear when more new signage will be installed.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 04:27 PM   #650
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
heaven is blue and hell is... green

Blue seems very Europe... maybe just because of the EU-flagge...
Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
But EU covers less than a half of Europe, so not really very European.
I do not really see the link between the flag and motorway signage, but would like to point out that although now adopted by the European, the blue flag with 12 stars is a symbol for all of Europe, and it was originally, and still is, the flag of the Council of Europe, which pretty much includes all of Europe.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Europe
Old April 7th, 2015, 05:08 PM   #651
Losbp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
Fortunately those signs are still in Highway Gothic and not in the imperfect Clearview font.

However I don't understand the difference in colour right now. Maybe it becomes more clear when more new signage will be installed.
It is not long until finally the Clearview version of the sign installed. This one is in the Palimanan - Kanci Toll Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilham2new View Post
Rambu2 penunjuk arah dengan background biru

Tol Palimanan Cirebon by AnakMelayuRiau, on Flickr
Quote:
Originally Posted by rilham2new View Post
Menjelang ujung tol Palimanan....Rambu2 menunjukkan sambungan tol ke Jakarta sudah dibuat...

Tol Palimanan Cirebon by AnakMelayuRiau, on Flickr

Old April 8th, 2015, 12:09 AM   #652
sirfreelancealot

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losbp View Post
It is not long until finally the Clearview version of the sign installed. This one is in the Palimanan - Kanci Toll Road
Looks more like Transport font than Clearview.
sirfreelancealot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 10:33 AM   #653
miumiuwonwon

Likes (Received): 294

Blue or green, Switzerland has its own solution.

By me.

bogdymol, I-Soke, piotr71 liked this post
miumiuwonwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 08:25 AM   #654
Pink Jazz

Likes (Received): 73

Green is the standard color in the United States for guide signs, while blue generally indicates services, usually logo signs when used on freeways:

However, blue is permitted for street name signs as of the 2009 MUTCD alongside green, brown, and white.

As for why green was chosen for guide signs in the United States may be due to the fact that the human eye is most sensitive to green and yellow wavelengths, rather than red or blue wavelengths.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; June 7th, 2015 at 08:39 AM.
Pink Jazz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 12:06 AM   #655
marmurr1916

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCarty View Post
UK and Ireland

Motorways - White on Blue (route numbers are in taller type)
Primary Routes - White on Green (route numbers are Yellow on Green)
Non-Primary Routes - Black on White (route numbers normal type)
Detours - Black on Yellow
Tourist Attractions - White on Brown

So except for the special treatment of route numbers, it's more or less the same as France's system.
Ireland is slightly different to the UK.

Ireland:

Motorways - White on Blue (route numbers are in taller type)
National Routes (including National Secondary routes) - White on Green (route numbers are Yellow on Green)
Regional and Local Routes - Black on White (route numbers normal type)
Detours - Black on Yellow
Tourist Attractions - White on Brown

You also get black on white signs in the UK with red borders for military bases.
marmurr1916 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 12:39 AM   #656
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
As for why green was chosen for guide signs in the United States may be due to the fact that the human eye is most sensitive to green and yellow wavelengths, rather than red or blue wavelengths.
Road signs usually have a green background setting (trees, pastures, etc). Blue signs stand out better in the background clutter.

Which is probably why blue and green are by far the most used sign colors in the world.

Last Sunday I was driving through the city of Bordeaux in France. They had these long straight tree-lined boulevards with a quick succession of signalized pedestrian crossings and cross-streets. It's easy to miss a green light between the trees. Although missing a green light is not as bad as missing a red light, I like to know where the crossings are.

Another thing I noticed is that when you have 4 nearby traffic signals, the far three of them green, but the first one red, it's easy to overlook the first one, as drivers could focus too much on the signals farther ahead. Especially if they're mounted on the side of the road instead of overhead, where there is a lot of visual distraction (trees, buildings, signs, ads).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

piotr71 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 12:03 AM   #657
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Road signs usually have a green background setting (trees, pastures, etc). Blue signs stand out better in the background clutter.
Though arguably much less so at night. At least before Diamond Grade retroflection was introduced, green must have performed better than blue at night.
-Pino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 01:21 AM   #658
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Another thing I noticed is that when you have 4 nearby traffic signals, the far three of them green, but the first one red, it's easy to overlook the first one, as drivers could focus too much on the signals farther ahead. Especially if they're mounted on the side of the road instead of overhead, where there is a lot of visual distraction (trees, buildings, signs, ads).
This always happens to me in one specific place near my house, you pass over a freeway so are relatively high and can see far, and frequently red light is the first and then two or three green, and I see only green and never the red
Old July 19th, 2015, 04:17 PM   #659
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

i guess it would be better to make green signs as they are rather more visible in the night. Ukraine does that on all of 192 km of motorways, and IMO green makes you react more than blue.
The best thing on the motorway could be yellow orange or red. These colours disturb the eyes during nighttime, and they are better noticed then green or blue. And you won't count sheep while speeding 150 km/h
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 12:40 AM   #660
PovilD
Naudotojas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukraroad View Post
i guess it would be better to make green signs as they are rather more visible in the night. Ukraine does that on all of 192 km of motorways, and IMO green makes you react more than blue.
The best thing on the motorway could be yellow orange or red. These colours disturb the eyes during nighttime, and they are better noticed then green or blue. And you won't count sheep while speeding 150 km/h
I think the best way to prevent drivers from falling asleep in motorways are electronic signage (with a warning sign) text, saying that you should keep your eyes on the road, etc.

Red motorway signs? It can be confused with warning signs. Blue or green are more neutral colors. E.g. Warning sign on blue background is less noticable and that makes it better for using for destinations, etc.

And Blue is German autobahn and green is Italian autostrada : East and Southeast Europe (+Denmark (influenced by U.S.?), Sweden and Finland) taked green for motorways, while West Europe (+Poland, Hungary, Lithuania from 2020) prefers German autobahn blue.

Last edited by PovilD; July 20th, 2015 at 12:52 AM.