daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 20th, 2015, 05:41 AM   #661
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Ontario Highway 401 in Toronto, Canada

Via
http://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=59.375

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2015, 06:04 AM   #662
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17513

Brazil

Ricardo Bianchi

Ricardo Bianchi

SP-70 Rodovia Ayrton Senna by Ricardo Bianchi, no Flickr

SP-348 Rodovia dos Bandeirantes by Ricardo Bianchi, no Flickr

Rodovia Carvalho Pinto (SP-70) by Ricardo Bianchi, no Flickr

Last edited by xrtn2; July 20th, 2015 at 06:32 AM.
xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 04:15 PM   #663
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
Ontario Highway 401 in Toronto, Canada
I think all your posts in this subforum are about the 401.

Kanadzie liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 08:03 AM   #664
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
As for why green was chosen for guide signs in the United States may be due to the fact that the human eye is most sensitive to green and yellow wavelengths, rather than red or blue wavelengths.
The (urban legend?) story I've heard is that back in the days when we were first planning the Interstate system the plan was to have the signs blue like the Autobahn...

Except what happened was that the guy who tested the visibility and made the final decision just so happened to be blue-green colorblind and thought the green sign was more visible at speed.

So American highway signs have been green ever since.

Verso liked this post
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 04:50 AM   #665
Ale92Milano_SpA
BANNED

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by PovilD View Post
I think the best way to prevent drivers from falling asleep in motorways are electronic signage (with a warning sign) text, saying that you should keep your eyes on the road, etc.

Red motorway signs? It can be confused with warning signs. Blue or green are more neutral colors. E.g. Warning sign on blue background is less noticable and that makes it better for using for destinations, etc.

And Blue is German autobahn and green is Italian autostrada : East and Southeast Europe (+Denmark (influenced by U.S.?), Sweden and Finland) taked green for motorways, while West Europe (+Poland, Hungary, Lithuania from 2020) prefers German autobahn blue.

Spain, France and Portugal are too blue.
Ale92Milano_SpA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 06:21 AM   #666
Gorky

Likes (Received): 2275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale92Milano_SpA View Post
Spain, France and Portugal are too blue.
Portugal

Gorky está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 11:44 AM   #667
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
The (urban legend?) story I've heard is that back in the days when we were first planning the Interstate system the plan was to have the signs blue like the Autobahn...

Except what happened was that the guy who tested the visibility and made the final decision just so happened to be blue-green colorblind and thought the green sign was more visible at speed.

So American highway signs have been green ever since.
Urban legend indeed. In the 1950s, the Americans tested various colours for their directional signage, including white on green and white on blue. Differences between the latter two were perceived to be small, but eventually green was selected. Surely the yanks won't have allowed a colour-blind guy to choose.

From https://ceprofs.civil.tamu.edu/ghawk....1948-1988.pdf:
Most of the standards in this document [the MUTCD 1958, that is] related to the use of guide signs. Two new signing practices introduced by this manual were the use of the white legend on a green background for guide signs and the use of lowercase letters in certain guide signs. Introducing green was not an easy decision to make and required several tests before being accepted. Both black and blue were given serious consideration for possible use in guide signs before green was selected. The use of lowercase letters was not as controversial, but the decision was also based on the results of research.

Back in the days, differences were indeed small, and the choice will have been made on the basis of somewhat better or worse performance in specific circumstances (at speed, in the dark, with low sun ahead or when the sun reflects on the sign, etc). The introduction of retroflective foils for blue and green signs later on clearly changed that analysis, but countries that had previously opted for green would not reverse their historical choice in favour of now-superior blue.

Last edited by -Pino-; July 25th, 2015 at 11:53 AM.
-Pino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 03:04 AM   #668
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by PovilD View Post
I think the best way to prevent drivers from falling asleep in motorways are electronic signage (with a warning sign) text, saying that you should keep your eyes on the road, etc.

Red motorway signs? It can be confused with warning signs. Blue or green are more neutral colors. E.g. Warning sign on blue background is less noticable and that makes it better for using for destinations, etc.

And Blue is German autobahn and green is Italian autostrada : East and Southeast Europe (+Denmark (influenced by U.S.?), Sweden and Finland) taked green for motorways, while West Europe (+Poland, Hungary, Lithuania from 2020) prefers German autobahn blue.
I think the signs in Denmark looks influenced by the U.S. They are maybe some of the most US-influenced signs in Europe

Mirror's Edge liked this post
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 12:54 PM   #669
Autobahn-mann

Likes (Received): 187

and the irish signs? They're cleary inspired from american design (but I think the warning signs)

Been in: A, BiH, CH, CZ, D, E, ET, F, GR, H, HR, I, RSM, SLO, UK, V, VEC
Drove in : I, HR, SLO, VEC
Autobahn-mann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 03:19 PM   #670
PovilD
Naudotojas

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn-mann View Post
and the irish signs? They're cleary inspired from american design (but I think the warning signs)
Guide and most orher signs in Ireland are somewhat British-like. Only markings on roads and the warning signs are little inspired from America.

Autobahn-mann liked this post
PovilD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 06:28 PM   #671
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Outside Europe, South Korean signage is strongly influenced by the American one.

Driving in Ireland could be a nightmare for Europeans. In the UK you need to adapt to a different driving side, in the USA to different signage and in Ireland to both!
Also, the signage style is the only way to know whether you're in the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland, since the border is unmarked.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Autobahn-mann liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 07:43 PM   #672
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

I am not sure if it really could be a nightmare sign-wise... in Europe you are driving, see a curve in the road and a sign with arrow in a triangle, in Ireland you are driving, see a curve in the road and a sign with an arrow in a diamond
Old July 27th, 2015, 12:20 AM   #673
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

I'm not sure most non-roadgeeks even notice it.

Kanadzie liked this post
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 10:58 AM   #674
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

If my non-roadgeek wife, parents and sister are anything to go by, they won't. It's the symbols that people will look at (hence the fun when you see a kangaroo on an Aussie warning sign), not the question whether that symbol is found on a yellow diamond or a red-white triangle. I have seen non-roadgeeks making their first kilometres in many a foreign system. I have never heard any remark about a warning sign. They were always about elements in the directional signage, in difficulty to understand certain prohibition signs, never in warning signs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Outside Europe, South Korean signage is strongly influenced by the American one.
They use the colour green and an Interstate shield for their motorways. That's pretty much it. Korean signage until c. 2010 mostly resembled Japanese signage. You can of course raise an argument about the US influence on Japanese signs. But while there is definitely some influence, I reckon it is pretty much a standalone system. In recent years, the Koreans have moved into a more European direction. Not too surprising when you put a Dutchman in charge of your design team.
Old July 27th, 2015, 11:29 AM   #675
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2617

The Philippines is majority green,

Though some major roads will use blue,

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 04:53 PM   #676
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

I'm amused they mark "no swerving!" on signs
Old July 27th, 2015, 06:51 PM   #677
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

National road 23, South Sweden. The E22 is signed in green for motorway.

I think there should be green signs for motorways and blue signs for the other rural roads. In that sense you can easily distinguish if you are heading to a motorway or not even without the symbol of motorway.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2015, 06:56 PM   #678
Eddy Nicolay
Showtime

Likes (Received): 22

Hi guys. I'm not sure if I'm too late into the topic. But here are our freeway signs (South Africa). Other southern african countries follow the same style/pattern and layout, but have their freeway signs in green. Angolan freeway signs are white, like the one on the first picture, but there are also green and blue. Greetings.

Last edited by Eddy Nicolay; November 11th, 2015 at 07:09 PM. Reason: resized images
Eddy Nicolay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 08:40 AM   #679
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Nicolay View Post
Other southern african countries follow the same style/pattern and layout, but have their freeway signs in green.
I recall having seen blue motorway signs in Swaziland. But Swazi has very little formal motorway, and once you hit a dual carriageway without motorway status there, the signs will become green too. I suppose that the other SADC countries that use the same style of signposting have comparable situations. They have motorway-like dual carriageways, but these are not formal motorways.

Often authorities refrain from taking that step so that slower traffic is not restricted from using the road under the access restrictions that apply to motorways.
Old November 14th, 2015, 01:44 PM   #680
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

I guess the last three are not angolan
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote