daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:26 PM   #161
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

There are brown signs here in Portugal too(and in other european countries too) for touristic places...
Those signs can be in the freeways for example, signaling some attraction nearby.

I'il post a photo of one when I have time.

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:52 PM   #162
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephasto View Post
There are brown signs here in Portugal too(and in other european countries too) for touristic places...
Those signs can be in the freeways for example, signaling some attraction nearby.
Thinking of it, that seams to be the pattern for brown signs here as well.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 08:42 PM   #163
Fede_Milan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Btw, just for information; in Italy they use both freeway signs, green and blue:

and this one too:

but freeways, designated with the green freeway sign, are better, and you can drive on them faster: 130 km/h on 'green freeways' (on some 6-lane freeways 150 km/h), whereas on 'blue freeways' the speed limit is only 110 km/h; so we can generally say 'green' for Italy, besides, there's much more 'green freeways' than the 'blue ones'.
Freeway signs in Italy are GREEN (autostrade). The blue signs are not used for freeways at all: they are used for expressways (superstrade) where the speed limit is 110 km/h but they are not autostrade.
Fede_Milan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 08:45 PM   #164
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Germany also has these brown signs to point out landmarks, cities etc.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 08:53 PM   #165
Minato ku

In France motorways we have also brown sign to point our landmark or our cities exactly like Geramy

We have those signs since the middle of the 1970's in our motorway

Old January 23rd, 2007, 09:06 PM   #166
Nephasto
Enlightened user

You can see one brown sign in that bunch of signs at the exit - photo taken in Portugal:

And this one here is a peculiar example, in Spain... Yellow signs for northern african people returning home (written in spanish and arabic), signaling 2 cities with ferries to northern africa(they are made for the huge number of french imigrants who go to their native country in the summer vacations):
Old January 24th, 2007, 07:37 AM   #167
dallas

Likes (Received): 582

Some freeway pictures from Perth (also use green)
IMG]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/jasondallas/Road%20signs/Frwy-dont-list.jpg[/IMG]
dallas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 07:39 AM   #168
dallas

Old January 24th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #169
dallas

Sorry, I'll get this right in a minute! (Signs from Perth)

Freeway signs

Future freeway sign

Plus a couple of suburban road signs

Blue signs are used for areas such as business parks and industrial estates
Old January 24th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #170
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas View Post
I didn't know animals could read. Australian animals were always sth special...
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #171
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fede_Milan View Post
Freeway signs in Italy are GREEN (autostrade). The blue signs are not used for freeways at all: they are used for expressways (superstrade) where the speed limit is 110 km/h but they are not autostrade.
Then Italy shouldn't abuse this sign: because it's reserved for freeways AFAIK. Isn't the 4-lane road between Florence and Siena (which AFAIK is equipped with the above sign) called "Raccordo Firenze - Siena", not "Superstrada"? And how many (and which) Italian roads are called "superstrada"? I just know for the "Superstrada Merano - Bolzano" (but I don't know, if it's equipped with the above sign or not). Btw, what's the English expression for "superstrada"? :P
Old January 24th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #172
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Quote:
I didn't know animals could read. Australian animals were always sth special...

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of text there is on road signage in Australia and the US for example.
In Europe we use images that everybody understands and that are much easier and faster to understand than a text! Which is undoubtedly 1000x better than wrighting it all down... besides the fact that everybody understands them, unlike the text, in which you have to know the language.

Quote:
Btw, what's the English expression for "superstrada"? :P
The litteral translation would be super-road.
Old January 24th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #173
Fede_Milan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Then Italy shouldn't abuse this sign: because it's reserved for freeways AFAIK. Isn't the 4-lane road between Florence and Siena (which AFAIK is equipped with the above sign) called "Raccordo Firenze - Siena", not "Superstrada"? And how many (and which) Italian roads are called "superstrada"? I just know for the "Superstrada Merano - Bolzano" (but I don't know, if it's equipped with the above sign or not). Btw, what's the English expression for "superstrada"? :P
This sign and only this, is used in Italy for "autostrade" (freeways or motorways, choose the english term you like most) :

Honestly I never drove from Firenze to Siena but that highway with 4 lanes of traffic, a median between lanes of opposite traffic and access control is not a proper "autostrada" but a "raccordo autostradale" meaning a road connecting a city to the closest freeway (in this case Siena to A1 Milano - Napoli). Other examples of "raccordi autostradali" are the ones linking Perugia to A1 or Potenza to A3.
Aside from highways bearing the "Autostrada" designation, Italy has many four-lane roads called "superstrade"
The speed limit in "superstrade" is 110 km/h and you don't have to pay to use them while you have to pay to drive in most Italian "Autostrade". The sign for superstrade is the blue one which is NOT reserved for Italian freeways.

Examples of Italian "superstrade":

- SGC Firenze - Pisa - Livorno
- SS1 Livorno - Grosseto
- SS38 Merano - Bolzano (the one you mentioned)
- SS131 Cagliari - Abbasanta - Sassari - Porto Torres

I hope the difference is now clear enough.
Fede_Milan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #174
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:

In Europe we use images that everybody understands and that are much easier and faster to understand than a text! Which is undoubtedly 1000x better than wrighting it all down... besides the fact that everybody understands them, unlike the text, in which you have to know the language.
When 82% of the population speaks English natively (as it is in the US, probably a higher percentage in Australia), it makes sense to have text signs since there aren't nearly as many people who do not speak the same language driving through your country at one time. In the EU, image-based signs are absolutely necessary, they're not just better. In the US, much more specific information can be displayed in text than in images that could possibly be misinterpreted.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 04:08 AM   #175
Nephasto
Enlightened user

^Even for someone who speaks the language, signs with images are much easier and faster to understand, hence, they are better.
Old January 25th, 2007, 06:32 AM   #176
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

If one had not grown up his entire life knowing that this meant "DO NOT PASS", this would be as unintelligible to him as a sign saying "DO NOT PASS" would be to someone who doesn't know a word of English.

Once again, this would have very little meaning for someone raised in the American system, and might confuse them to the point of putting themselves into danger, while "Danger Cross Winds" would be perfectly apparent to anyone who knows some English (i.e. 90% of the US population, or around 270 million people)

The European system is only better if you have been raised in it and are intimately familiar with what the signs mean. If you know English, and have never seen a road sign in your life, the American text based systems would be better. That's why they all started out text-based. The US pretty much copied the image-based signs where it would be more easily understood, but kept the text where an image would not be as clear. That is simply not an option in Europe, where the international traffic demands universally understood signs. But let's not think for a moment that they are all universally understood without the reader having been educated in their meaning.

But we digress, let's see some more sexy big green/blue signs!
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 01:52 PM   #177
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Sounds like an international expression. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fede_Milan View Post
Honestly I never drove from Firenze to Siena but that highway with 4 lanes of traffic, a median between lanes of opposite traffic and access control is not a proper "autostrada" but a "raccordo autostradale" meaning a road connecting a city to the closest freeway (in this case Siena to A1 Milano - Napoli). Other examples of "raccordi autostradali" are the ones linking Perugia to A1 or Potenza to A3.

I hope the difference is now clear enough.
Naah, I knew the difference, it's just funny to me that Italy uses both signs, green and blue.

But that's not true that all "raccordi autostradali" are equipped with the blue sign! Some of them yes, but not all, and I guess that's because "raccordo" just means "connection". One example is R37 (also RA13?) "Raccordo A4 - Trieste", which I guess isn't called A4 just because A4 runs from Turin/Torino to Trieste, and if you wanna go to the center of Trieste, you don't drive the entire bypass, at least that's what signs suggest. But that "raccordo" is certainly an "autostrada" (green sign), although on many maps not.

Another thing are "Diramazioni", which are in fact interchanges (to another motorway, not off the motorway), followed by a very short motorway. I don't know, how all of them look like, but I know that one of them is "autostrada" (green sign) D31 (also RA14?) "Diramazione Opicina - Fernetti", running from the previously mentioned R37 by Opicina to the border-crossing Fernetti with Slovenia. It's very short, just 2 or 3 km, but certainly "autostrada".

One thing I find interesting is that one of the so called "raccordi autostradali" is also the R16 (also RA17?) "Raccordo Villesse - Gorizia", running from the A4 by Villesse to the Slovenian border by Gorizia. It's called "raccordo autostradale", although it's equipped with neither green sign, nor with any of the blue signs! And the speed limit is only 90 km/h, the only thing that makes it look like a motorway or expressway, is that it's 4-laned (but without hard shoulders, only emergency stops, and sometimes it's not even divided) and with limited access. But on many maps it looks like a motorway, even more often than the R37!
Old January 27th, 2007, 02:11 AM   #178
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

khm, how about this problem in Lithuania: green motorway sign, but blue direction signs on motorway?!?!

x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 02:25 AM   #179
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20322

Quote:
In the UK we usually call them 'Dual-carriageways' ie two lanes but not a Motorway.

PS, We also have brown signs to point out attractions/local facilities. Sometimes the brown sign is incorporated into another sign, exciting!!!

Do other countries also use the system whereby you can be on any road but signs pointing to 'blue' Motorway routes are highlighted in blue?

Examples:

Jonesy55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #180
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
In the UK we usually call them 'Dual-carriageways' ie two lanes but not a Motorway.
The supperstrada would be a dual carrigeway with motorway characteristics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Do other countries also use the system whereby you can be on any road but signs pointing to 'blue' Motorway routes are highlighted in blue?
Yes, I think that happens everywhere. At least in Portugal and Spain I'm sure it's like that, but I'm quite sure it's the same all over western Europe.