daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > The Urban Fabric > Heritage Buildings

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 23rd, 2007, 09:40 PM   #101
SEAfan
mumbling imprecations

Likes (Received): 5

That Mountbatten bungalow project, repeating the practice followed at the Chansville site, restoration of the historic building with the addition of a few new bungalows, sounds great!
SEAfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 24th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #102
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 43

Yup...earlier redstone had mentioned about taking pics of mansions along the Mountbatten Street. I think I'll simply have to grab some shots!
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 03:59 AM   #103
SEAfan
mumbling imprecations

Don't let me be in your way, Raffi!

Go for it!
Old July 22nd, 2007, 03:09 PM   #104
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Well here is a fancy looking mansion in Little India.

Old July 22nd, 2007, 03:10 PM   #105
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Some info on it

Old July 23rd, 2007, 05:57 AM   #106
Maverick713

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafflesCity View Post

Some info on it

Yipes.... they take a plain looking Chinese-owned mansion and turned it into a bright, multi-coloured Indian-styled sari shop and called it "conservation"!
Maverick713 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 04:05 AM   #107
RafflesCity
By Spirit

If I'm not wrong, that corner of Little India is some kind of Arts area as well. An Indian restaurant has recently renovated next to the mansion. Looking at it now, it blends in so well with the area
Old July 24th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #108
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 27

The building is preserved, but the spirit is not retained
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #109
redstone
Lurker

No. 1 Pulau Ubin

A charming cottage was restored lately and was opened as the visitor centre for Chek Jawa mudflats.

Before that I heard from bus drivers that the place had been abandoned for perhaps more than 20 years. And the area used to be a village, Kampong Chek Jawa. But the village was cleared in the late 1990s by the govt.

The whole area and the surrounding sea was to be reclaimed, as a military training area. The village is gone, the mudflats are still there (thanks to public outcry and rare deferrement of redevelopment plans).

The interior of the house had been restored to appear as it was.
Old September 29th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #110
SEAfan
mumbling imprecations

Thanks to you both, Raffi and redstone!

Indeed it's good to see that the Chinese mansion, the Residence of Tan Teng Niah, was conserved and restored. But that paint job defaces it totally.

No. 1 Pulau Ubin on the other hand is a total delight. I wish more of Singapore's decaying mansions would experience this happy fortune of being restored with a new use rather than demolished or mutilated, like the poor Amber House.
Old January 25th, 2008, 04:23 PM   #111
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Never seen 1 Pulau Ubin before, but it is really lovely. Looks like something out of Europe.
Old January 29th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #112
Rajith

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone View Post
No. 1 Pulau Ubin

Coooool... It reminded me of my village back in Trivandrum..

Last edited by Rajith; January 29th, 2008 at 02:34 PM. Reason: adding link
Rajith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 04:39 PM   #113
RafflesCity
By Spirit

This rather quaint structure at Hong Lim Park must have been around since British times I'm guessing...

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old April 3rd, 2008, 06:03 PM   #114
redstone
Lurker

There used to be 2 very grand low-level courthouses there, from old pics. One is Police Court, I forgot what's the other one. I think this little building is an annex to one of these huge buildings. So sad, so many grand police buildings had been demolished.
Old April 4th, 2008, 03:52 PM   #115
Andrew

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAfan View Post
Thanks to you both, Raffi and redstone!

Indeed it's good to see that the Chinese mansion, the Residence of Tan Teng Niah, was conserved and restored. But that paint job defaces it totally.
Oh don't be such a grouch! It's only paint, it's cosmetic and can be changed if the tenant ever changes. In the meantime, bright colours are in character with the area and it's a good active use of an old building by something other than a large company, and it's not exclusive. This is far, far better than some of the other 'conservation' projects I've seen in many places which restore the buildings but sap all life and culture out of an area. It is conservation not preservation; conservation is about nurturing cultural heritage as a living thing and allowing it to change naturally to a certain extent. Preservation is only concerned with the building, and making it "authentic" at all costs, which invariably turns it into a dead museum exhibit not a living, vibrant piece of city.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #116
RafflesCity
By Spirit

LOL.....

I do agree on your point about conservation versus preservation. Over here, the slant tends to lean more in favour of conservation. The URA is considered the "conservation" authority, not a "preservation" authority. I think conservation is a more economically realistic and viable option in land scarce Singapore. It is also overall less selfish to future generations when you think about it. That is not to say that anything goes in re-using old buildings. There are some buildings that are simply "sacred".

Another shot of the Police Post:

Old April 6th, 2008, 03:32 AM   #117
SEAfan
mumbling imprecations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Oh don't be such a grouch! It's only paint, it's cosmetic and can be changed if the tenant ever changes. In the meantime, bright colours are in character with the area and it's a good active use of an old building by something other than a large company, and it's not exclusive. This is far, far better than some of the other 'conservation' projects I've seen in many places which restore the buildings but sap all life and culture out of an area. It is conservation not preservation; conservation is about nurturing cultural heritage as a living thing and allowing it to change naturally to a certain extent. Preservation is only concerned with the building, and making it "authentic" at all costs, which invariably turns it into a dead museum exhibit not a living, vibrant piece of city.
I don't see why a building whose interiors and exteriors are preserved or restored should necessarily turn it into a dead museum exhibit? It is there in its environment, it's being used, it's alive, so what keeps it from being a piece piece of the city?
Old April 12th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #118
Andrew

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAfan View Post
I don't see why a building whose interiors and exteriors are preserved or restored should necessarily turn it into a dead museum exhibit? It is there in its environment, it's being used, it's alive, so what keeps it from being a piece piece of the city?
I'm not saying that to restore a building to exactly how it was necessarily means it'll end up like a museum exhibit, but it can do. I'd personally rather have something that isn't completely true to the building's history if it brings more life and character to an area than something that perfectly restores a building to exactly how it was but ends up getting used by yet another Coffee Bean, TCC, Starbucks or McDonalds or whatever! An Indian Sari shop in Little India is far more desirable than those things even if it means they end up painting the building in crazy colours that it would never have had originally. As I said, it's only paint, it can be changed if the tenant changes and wants it different. Far more damaging as far as I'm concerned is the tendency towards facadism in recent years.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 06:25 PM   #119
redstone
Lurker

Reminds me of what happened to China Square and Far East Square. Entire blocks of shophouses were acquired and sold to developers for redevelopment. Some were demolished but most are preserved. Shophouses are so called because of the shops on the first level and residential on the upper levels. But as a result of the "redevelopment" of the original area of Chinatown, with some of the oldest shophouses in Singapore, the area became a bit "dead". Many of the shophouses had been converted into offices, and the upper levels of the whole block had been linked up. It's now essentially a huge office complex with the facades of the shophouses. At some places you can even see that the "shophouses" are fake.

Financially and economically the old area is considered "dead". Old trades, old houses. BUT now it becomes a financial commercial complex, the heritage gone. Whats the use of preserving historical areas but turning it into a new development, and the old feel and life of the area gone.

Historic area? Yes
Historic buildings? Yes
Historic trades? No
Historic feel? Diluted

The removal of shops, especially heritage shops on the ground level sucks the life away from it. This had happen to many times in Singapore. And I still object the idea of mass acquisition and restoration. I would rather see action being done to inject life and into the area, without facadism, redevelopment or demolition.

Even the last untouched unmodernised historic enclave, Little India had large areas demolished for the NE Line. The old Ellenborough area had been torn down too for it.
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #120
redstone
Lurker

A new building had been gazetted for conservation. No. 9 Buckley Road

http://www.ura.gov.sg/conservation/buckley_road.htm

Should be this: