daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 12th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #1
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 6425

South Bank Tower | Southwark | 151m | 41 fl | T/O

From what's being said in the World Forum, it sounds like the building is being vacated in preparation for its redevelopment. There will be a 4-storey height increase and a complete reclad of the exterior, plus improvements to the entrance and surrounding buildings.

wjfox está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 12th, 2007, 12:58 AM   #2
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 2

If it looks anything like the render it will turn out crap.

Let's hope only the render is done on the cheap.

stinkysteel liked this post
JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #3
nukey
Somnium Quinti

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
If it looks anything like the render it will turn out crap.

Let's hope only the render is done on the cheap.
I agree
Old January 12th, 2007, 01:15 AM   #4
london lad

Likes (Received): 494

All it seems to mean is IPC are moving to there new HQ at Bankside1. It doen't mean necessarily that the work on kings reach is going to start anytime soon as the previous owners who got planning permission sold it onto to new owners who haven't said when they are going to do the new work. Although saying that if its empty it will be foolish not to start work soon.

I think the thread needs to be closed in the world forum with the comments moved to the general London thread.

I prefered the original redesign without the extending fin on the roof to be honest.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 01:29 AM   #5
Wild@Heart

Likes (Received): 1

So essentially, by covering over the original crown, they're removing yet another Seifert from London's skyline.

We will lament some of these decisions in the future.
Wild@Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 01:31 AM   #6
gunners

Likes (Received): 0

sorry guys i should have put that thread in here or at least named it better. i work for ipc ignite based on the 23rd floor of kings reach, today the mover arrived and so we were sent packing, although were one of the last parts of the company to be moved because of our client base. the whole reason for the move is that as one of the worlds largest publishing company's we have a huge number of clients. as the company occupied the building before the boom of ICT it was never really suited to the computer age and has wires everywhere therefore creating a health and safty issue. so the decision was made to move, i myself am upset about the move as i see it that we are moving from i iconic london building into a less iconic building down at bankside

so i hear the building we remain empty until later this year as it will be used for storage of our documents until the DPA lets us get rid of them or they are put onto our new computer system. thereafter construction and reclading should begin.
gunners no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 02:27 AM   #7
GazKinz

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild@Heart View Post
So essentially, by covering over the original crown, they're removing yet another Seifert from London's skyline.

I am far more sorry to see drapers gardens slowly disappear
GazKinz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #8
jef

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
All it seems to mean is IPC are moving to there new HQ at Bankside1. It doen't mean necessarily that the work on kings reach is going to start anytime soon as the previous owners who got planning permission sold it onto to new owners who haven't said when they are going to do the new work.
The new onwer is the vehicle of Halabi who has recently put it back again on the market (tbc).
jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #9
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1076

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild@Heart View Post

No we wont.
'The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you choose, what you think, and what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny ... it is the light that guides your way.'
- Heraclitus
Zenith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #10
delores

Likes (Received): 184

I think make architects try too hard sometimes with their buildings. Too much color to deter from the fact the design is not that great in the first place. It would of looked better using more of a restrained color palette. Blue will just look dated and more of an eye saw than an improvement.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #11
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 281

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunners View Post
sorry guys i should have put that thread in here or at least named it better. i work for ipc ignite based on the 23rd floor of kings reach, today the mover arrived and so we were sent packing, although were one of the last parts of the company to be moved because of our client base. the whole reason for the move is that as one of the worlds largest publishing company's we have a huge number of clients. as the company occupied the building before the boom of ICT it was never really suited to the computer age and has wires everywhere therefore creating a health and safty issue. so the decision was made to move, i myself am upset about the move as i see it that we are moving from i iconic london building into a less iconic building down at bankside

so i hear the building we remain empty until later this year as it will be used for storage of our documents until the DPA lets us get rid of them or they are put onto our new computer system. thereafter construction and reclading should begin.
I am jealous that you worked on the 23rd floor, but disappointed for you that you have to move! What view do you get from there?

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #12
potto

Likes (Received): 2025

lets just hope beetham gets built
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:09 AM   #13
gunners

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulattokid View Post
I am jealous that you worked on the 23rd floor, but disappointed for you that you have to move! What view do you get from there?
you can see for miles as its one onf the tallest on the south bank, you can see the docklands right down to the greenwich, and the otherdirection you can see up to fulham its a staggering view i love it. the moves been put back to the begining of june i think because of final work at the new building (below)

Old January 17th, 2007, 02:22 AM   #14
Zedferret
DAMNED

Likes (Received): 151

Am I the only one who dislikes Seifert's buildings? only the Natwest tower has any quality. I'm not sentimental.
Zedferret no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:42 AM   #15
gunners

to be honest when i saw the plans i thought the same but actually like the new building its alot better in real life than in the graphics and its a hell of a lot better for sales its like were all battery chickens in a coup (the way i like it) just the thought of no more undulating floors or wires everywhere i cant wait to move!!!
Old January 17th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #16
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 281

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunners View Post
its like were all battery chickens in a coup (the way i like it)

...well I wont be buying any of your eggs!

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #17
dom

Likes (Received): 7

Space House on Kingsway is great, Lunar House in Croydon is interesting but his best building is near Ealing and has just been restored. Windsor House is lovely in Victoria and Remax House just off Tottenham Court Road is a great building.

Seiferts buildings usually have interesting windows which I'm a fan of. Kings Reach Tower is very mediocre though.
dom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #18
london lad

Likes (Received): 494

Make plan for King’s Reach Tower axed
16 February 2007

A dramatic scheme by Make Architects to remodel a London skyscraper has been shelved after the practice was replaced by a rival firm.

Syrian tycoon Simon Halabi’s development firm Buckingham Securities, which bought the 30-storey King’s Reach Tower on the South Bank last year, has asked Hamiltons Architects to work up a new solution for the 1970s Richard Seifert building.

Make won planning for previous owner Capital & Counties for a project to re-clad the tower and put a series of mini-towers around it.

The scrapping of Make’s project has sparked concern at Southwark council, which is planning a series of tall buildings at the location and this week received an application for a neighbouring twin-tower scheme by Land Securities and Wilkinson Eyre.

A spokesman said it was important to see the King’s Reach tower “fully utilised”, adding: “It’s an important block in that stretch of the South Bank.”

Buckingham Securities and Hamiltons Architects declined to comment.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:09 PM   #19
Eastender

axed? thank god ...
Eastender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #20
hellolazyness

Likes (Received): 4

Mmm I was wondering what happened to this project.
hellolazyness no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: