daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Old November 13th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #81
london lad

Likes (Received): 486

Looks like this project might do more than sit on somebody's portfolio for years. Hopefully the new owners will progress with the planned scheme or come up with a new scheme sooner rather than later.

http://www.propertyweek.com/story.as...de=3153235&c=1

Separately, a receiver has been appointed to sell Kings Reach tower in Southwark, also owned by Halabi-linked companies. Allsop, property agent and receiver, is expected to market the building for Lloyds Banking Group next week.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 15th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #82
potto

Likes (Received): 1942

I really really hope the current proposal is binned. With the nonsensical Beetham tower height reduction pushed through by the clueless planning authorities combined with this height increase and the other blackfriars road developments we cleverly end up with a flat wall when viewed from the West. This either needs to be kept at its current height or reduced in height, the optimum choice would be to have it much taller but I cant imagine the developers going for it or maybe they will feel brave after the recent PI?
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #83
delores

Likes (Received): 178

Absolutely, the building's height increase just looked ridiculous next to all the other proposals,I think a reclad and possibly increasing it's density lower down would probably look ok as long as MAKE don't have anything to do with it and we end up with that horrid blue and yellow fleck building.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 07:44 AM   #84
spenster

Likes (Received): 11

Good news for this one guys (from the FT):

Jadwa steps up UK investment
By Robin Wigglesworth in Abu Dhabi

Published: June 16 2010 03:00 | Last updated: June 16 2010 03:00

Jadwa Investment , a company part-owned by the Saudi royal family, and CIT, a European property investor, have acquired the King's Reach Tower on London's south bank for £60m and plan to invest a further £500m in the UK real estate market.

Jadwa has invested £140m in UK property - including Hull's largest shopping centre in March - and King's Reach Tower is the fourth joint Jadwa-CIT acquisition.

The price paid for King's Reach was almost a quarter below the price paid the last time it was sold in 2006, said Jadwa. The purchase of the tower and adjacent podium building includes a planning consent for redevelopment and Jadwa and CIT plan to invest a further £200m in the property.

"It's a great location, it's overlooking the Thames with wonderful views," Fadi Tabbara, Jadwa's chief investment officer, told the FT. "The pound exchange rate is low, which makes investment in the UK inviting, and the legal structure is simple and transparent."

King's Reach Tower is empty and Jadwa is gambling on a UK economic recovery, Mr Tabbara said.

Gulf investors have a long-standing affinity with real estate , and high-end property in London in particular. The capital has historically attracted both individual and institutional investments from the oil-rich region, and interest is rising again on the back of declining property prices and weaker sterling.

Qatar recently bought Harrods from Mohammed Fayed for a reported £1.5bn, and is involved in the Chelsea Barracks and the Shard skyscraper developments.

"For us, London is the capital of the world. It's a lot closer than the US, and even the retail sector is often in tune to Arab culture," Mr Tabbara said.

Jadwa and CIT are targeting a return of 20 per cent or more on their King's Reach investment. In addition to £200m to develop the project, Jadwa plans to invest a further £300m or more in mixed-use, residential and commercial property in the UK.
.Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2010. You may share using our article tools. Please don't cut articles from FT.com and redistribute by email or post to the web.
spenster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 10:39 AM   #85
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 259

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenster View Post
"For us, London is the capital of the world. It's a lot closer than the US, and even the retail sector is often in tune to Arab culture," Mr Tabbara said..
Thats an interesting comment.

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 07:52 PM   #86
flippi1
flippi1

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulattokid View Post
Thats an interesting comment.
i think it is actually the truth !!
flippi1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #87
chrissyb
Lincoln - London - Greece

Likes (Received): 1

"...retail in tune to Arab culture" - I'd love to know what this means....
chrissyb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #88
rjgibb

Likes (Received): 6

Chippies putting up hoarding round podium today...
rjgibb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 12:57 AM   #89
delores

Likes (Received): 178

I hope the new scheme is better than the old one, the new renders on other pages looks like a new design, more restrained but much more elegant.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #90
heywindup
BńNNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by delores View Post
I hope the new scheme is better than the old one, the new renders on other pages looks like a new design, more restrained but much more elegant.
Does anyone have renders of the new scheme?
heywindup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #91
rjgibb

Likes (Received): 6

Hoardings now (apparently) complete, circling the site, and signs up saying "demolition in progress". No white sheet/scaffolding yet. Looks like the podium is certainly coming down in near future. No updates on www.kingsreachtower.com - which still seems to be administrators' "sale" website. Plenty of planning details including full renders etc. of the 2006 consented scheme on there but you need to register (free) for the docs.
rjgibb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #92
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Likes (Received): 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywindup View Post
Does anyone have renders of the new scheme?
There's one in the first post in the thread.
Old July 12th, 2010, 09:56 PM   #93
BorderBoy

Certainly hope they can come up with something better than what has been proposed in the past. As this is in my 'back yard' this is one scheme I'm very glad to see going ahead. The whole Kings Reach complex is a disaster area that should never have been built. Criminal in my opinion. It's up there with the worst excesses of soulless concrete "carbuncles". The tower is passable from a distance but, up close, it's a s**** hole.

Will get some pics tomorrow.
Old July 12th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #94
potto

Likes (Received): 1942

yeah it doesnt exactly sit in with the street scape, horrible horrible building. A reclad is not sufficient in my opinion and the height increase ruins the stumpy Beetham tower when viewing from Westminster bridge. Resurrecting the past plan is basically an all round disaster but cheap.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #95
i_like_concrete
cockney sparrow

Likes (Received): 175

Oh i can't stand for that. Far too much Kings Reach bashing going on for my liking, I think it's a great building, it may not be the best high rise but it's a decent attempt, I love the concrete fins and the overall brown-ness of it. I don't think the Podium itself is too bad, just that the ground floor interaction could be much much better.

Here are some pictures I got last year.

Flickr

Pinterest
i_like_concrete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #96
BorderBoy

Have you been inside the shopping area and podium? It's positively Soviet!

As for brown ... Brown is bad. Brown is shite. Brown is not a good colour for a scraper - unless you are some sort of retro freak. Basically this building is a sort of second-rate Tower 42. Demolish it and start again.
Old July 14th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #97
Yorkshire Boy
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 200

Hmmm... I wouldn't go too far with a reclad for it, all it needs is new clear windows and maybe a couple of modest lights to show off those fins and then it's fine and dandy.
Yorkshire Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #98
cpwken

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderBoy View Post

Have you been inside the shopping area and podium? It's positively Soviet! .
You mean Milroy Walk? If so it's not part of Kings Reach, it's underneath the adjacent block of flats. Soviet is quite a good word to describe it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderBoy View Post
As for brown ... Brown is bad. Brown is shite. .
OK, but do you think Cameron will be any better?
cpwken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 08:20 PM   #99
BorderBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpwken View Post
You mean Milroy Walk? If so it's not part of Kings Reach, it's underneath the adjacent block of flats. Soviet is quite a good word to describe it though.

OK, but do you think Cameron will be any better?
Didn't spot that - thought it was all same complex.

As for Brown - I only feel sorry for him - apart from the fact he sold off the gold
Old July 14th, 2010, 11:03 PM   #100
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 227

I'd rather it had a good scrub or a slight modification than a reclad like shown on previous renders, all those blue and white fins and stuff.. that is far worse than brown.

Let it be, London's skyline needn't be all shiney and new - this should be treated like T42, Centrepoint etc etc.. But hey, I just like it as it is.
ferge está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: