daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 8th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #181
chrome13

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks1981 View Post
Dude, no offense, but that's the kind of stuff you should be thinking before you buy a unit.
Seriously. I have a hard time believing someone could have actually bought a unit in this building while still asking these questions. "how is the economy in this area?" It's right next to the loop, this isn't some obscure exurb we're talking about here.
chrome13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2008, 01:56 AM   #182
cheeps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 112

Can anybody truly be that reckless.
cheeps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 07:47 AM   #183
jcmty

Likes (Received): 0

relax

Well excuse me for not doing all my research first. the real estate bubble was pumped up by speculators!!

i thought i could find a renter now and retire in it as a snowbird down the line.

aren't you midwesterners suppose to be nice and kind

Do you know if there have been big layoffs in the financial district or in the sears towers? they are close to this condo.

Also, is the condo-turned-apartment building down the street to ever open up? i will be competing with it for renters, not to mention the collection at roosevelt condos.
jcmty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #184
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal, a large law firm located in the Sears Tower, laid off over one-hundred staff members (including some partners) back in May.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #185
aleks1981

Do you know if there have been big layoffs in the financial district or in the sears towers? they are close to this condo.

Also, is the condo-turned-apartment building down the street to ever open up? i will be competing with it for renters, not to mention the collection at roosevelt condos.[/QUOTE]

Condo-turned-apartment building is not down the street. It is at 730 S. Clark, which is in Printer's Row. The main advantage of 235 Van Buren is that it is right next to the Financial District, there is not a single building as close. Which unit did you buy?
aleks1981 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 06:53 AM   #186
chrome13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmty View Post
Well excuse me for not doing all my research first. the real estate bubble was pumped up by speculators!!

i thought i could find a renter now and retire in it as a snowbird down the line.

aren't you midwesterners suppose to be nice and kind

Also, is the condo-turned-apartment building down the street to ever open up? i will be competing with it for renters, not to mention the collection at roosevelt condos.
We are kind. But we don't suffer fools kindly.

You bought a condo with a clear aim to rent it out, but you haven't a clue what's going on with the Chicago economy? That's pretty shocking carelessness, trumped only by the fact you choose to inform yourself by seeking the advice of a bunch of anonymous posters on a skyscraper blog, after you closed.

If you'd like to belatedly educate yourself on the climate surrounding your investment, start here.

www.chicagobusiness.com
chrome13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 11:00 PM   #187
jcmty

need for info on south loop

i called the sales office. he said burnham pointe has been doing well finding renters. i checked their prices: high. if i can get 2k for a 2/1 with one parking spot, i will be fine.

how early in the morning will i have to get up to beat the traffic heading north to the navy base? is 4 am early enough? i can live here, drive 30 miles without traffic.

also, with all the rentals in this area, where is all the retail? the place is definately under-built. when will this area turn into what the north loop has now? i feel like i will be on the train going to the north loop most everynight rather than doing little in the south loop.

help me with some info?
Old September 15th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #188
jpIllInoIs

Likes (Received): 48

Well fortunately for you, your lack of in depth research has failed to turn over another solution.

Metra runs a trains every hour northbound with a stop right outside of the GL naval base gate. You did not say what time you have to actually arrive on base, so it is hard to give an estimate on the alloted drive time. But why drive? One of the advantages of living "In the Loop" is that you have an abundannce of transit options.

The UP North line schedule is here..
http://metrarail.com/Sched/cnw_n/cnwn_wko.shtml
jpIllInoIs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #189
therock473
Therock473

jcmty

Firstly,
Why are you worried about finding a renter? I dont think its that difficult with craigslist, apartment finding services, or through friends/family you may know.

As for the previous comment, yes this is right in the financial section. Its next to the CBOT, Depaul Loop Campus, Roosevelt University, Columbia, close enough to UIC, obviously in the Loop. You have plenty of markets to tap its just about setting your price to be reasonable and of course the competition of other owners in the building.

As for your commute, I used to work in Vernon Hills and commute from this locale every day for two months. To put it simply, you are F'd if you plan on driving there everyday. Expect 1hr to 1hr 20 minutes in the morning to get there say if you leave at 730am and expect 1hr30 mins -2hrs on the way back if you left at 5 or 6pm. Oh and dont let me get started on Fridays, the traffic is the worst this day. Metra rail has very limited options going north but the good thing for you is this condo is near union and Ogilvy station.

Finally, what do you mean this area is underdeveloped? This is the Loop, and in case you are not familiar the loop pretty much shuts down on the weekends and at nights. Since this is basically the only condo/apartment in that quadrant (THis includes vector), the area is still developing. I am pretty sure this condo will drive more shops etc to open up. Plus there is a big plan to convert the old post office (right down the street) to commercial space & residential space.
therock473 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 04:52 AM   #190
PrintersRowBoiler

Quote:
i called the sales office. he said burnham pointe has been doing well finding renters. i checked their prices: high. if i can get 2k for a 2/1 with one parking spot, i will be fine.

how early in the morning will i have to get up to beat the traffic heading north to the navy base? is 4 am early enough? i can live here, drive 30 miles without traffic.

also, with all the rentals in this area, where is all the retail? the place is definately under-built. when will this area turn into what the north loop has now? i feel like i will be on the train going to the north loop most everynight rather than doing little in the south loop.

help me with some info?
I am assuming that you bought one of the small 2 BR's in the building. It is hard to compare with the very luxurious Burnham Pointe. You may need to compare with condo renters in One Place and even AMLI's building is cheaper, yet still nice.

The market you will get are people that want to live close to work obviously. They would rather have a commute of 5 minutes 5 days a week and a long commute on the weekends to some entertainment. The beauty of the area is the public transit. You are close to the red and blue lines so they have an easy designated driver to some of the best areas. In addition, it will be a 1/2-3/4 mile hike to Roosevelt Collection which will have a huge thater, bowling alley, a dozen restaurants, bars etc. I think you are making a good investment and I would do the same if I had expendable cash lying around.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 07:08 AM   #191
jcmty

printersrowboiler

finally a nice chicagoan. i thought i was talking to new yorkers for a minute

thank you for the info...if the crap hits the fan at the CBOT (as many financial institutions are heading down), i can still get a college kid etc. to move in.

how much would a 2/1 with 1 parking spot go for in a commercially-developed area (like the north loop)? $500k?
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #192
PrintersRowBoiler

Quote:
finally a nice chicagoan. i thought i was talking to new yorkers for a minute

thank you for the info...if the crap hits the fan at the CBOT (as many financial institutions are heading down), i can still get a college kid etc. to move in.

how much would a 2/1 with 1 parking spot go for in a commercially-developed area (like the north loop)? $500k?
I'm not sure... market drives the price. I am assuming you mean River North. And a lot goes into the market value besides # of bedrooms. Im not a realtor, but if I had to guess, for new buildings in the South Loop without too many bells and whistles, $300-$400 per SF is appropriate and I imagine that River North may be slightly more for some reason $350-$450.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 10:52 PM   #193
jcmty

economy

are they to finish this condo? i heard Trump made a comment about all the half finished high rises in chi-town and he predicted they wont be done in the next 10 years due to the financial crisis. in some ways i almost wish it doesnt finish for a while...it will be easier to get a loan in a few years maybe... your thoughts?
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #194
i_am_hydrogen
muted

The Donald is so beclouded by egoism and the desire to gain a competitive advantage that nothing he says can be taken seriously.
Old September 27th, 2008, 12:19 AM   #195
3521usa

Likes (Received): 36

Trump is a ******* liar...All this time I thought people were just being hard on him simply because he had a huge ego but I now know there are several reasons why people can't stand him. He's a liar, a cry baby and a ******* loud mouth. Now I also know why he's supporting McCain, they'rere both liars and will do or say anything to get ahead, even if it's not true.
3521usa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 06:53 AM   #196
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Taken today:
Old October 21st, 2008, 05:48 PM   #197
therock473
Therock473

Contract

I had a quick question maybe someone can answer. I have two units in this building and have a friend that is interested in one as well. He wants one of the units I have because the tier is not available anymore.

Is it possible to just give my contract over to him? I wouldn't necessarily be selling it to him I would just want him to take over my contract. Is this possible?

Im not sure the legalities if this can be done any ideas?
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:49 PM   #198
i_am_hydrogen
muted

There is a legal mechanism called a "novation" which allows a party to a contract (yourself) to be replaced by a third party (your friend). The third party then assumes the obligations of the original contract. Obviously, the party with whom you originally contracted has to consent. My guess--I don't practice real estate law--is that execution of the novation would not entail the refund of your deposit, since the payment of such a deposit is a term of the contract. Consequently, you would likely have to seek reimbursement from your friend. And if he is unable to pay you the amount in full, demand a promissory note. You can find boilerplate installment note forms on the internet. Just make sure to engage in some form of due diligence, e.g., find out his credit rating, what his debts are, etc. You can't lend money willy-nilly.
Old October 21st, 2008, 08:44 PM   #199
therock473
Therock473

thanks

thanks hydro

most likely i will just end up keeping both but I wanted to know what the options were
Old October 22nd, 2008, 02:32 AM   #200
chief56

Likes (Received): 3

Any more pictures? Up to 21 I believe.
chief56 no está en línea   Reply With Quote