daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #221
nrioq

Likes (Received): 0

Quick question, what are the plans for the concrete? Will it be left bare?
nrioq no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #222
therock473
Therock473

I believe the concrete will be left bare. Perkins and Wills have similar projects already up (1720 S Michigan) with bare concrete. I am assuming that the outside concrete will undergo a "cleaning" prior to delievery...and then the elements will take their course. Overtime You can expect the outside to have more of a darker color (dark or faded gray) that will compliment the black glass nicely. Take a look at Velcro right on Harrison and Wells it will look the same in terms of concrete color except picture it black glass.

The interior will also have the same exposed concrete. Your ceilings will be concrete and so will any support pillars that are exposed with your unit.
therock473 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #223
CHIsentinel
padisha emperor

Likes (Received): 319

1720 S. Michigan isn't Perkin & Will, it's Brinninstool (sp?) & Lynch.
CHIsentinel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 02:41 AM   #224
chief56

Likes (Received): 3

Bare or I believe some might get painted.
chief56 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #225
therock473
Therock473

Upgrades

I just got my upgrade selections for 235WVB and was wondering do we have to get them all done by the CMK?

For example, if I want to install my own cabinet handels/knobs rather than pay them am I allowed to do so? Some things, i understand is better left to CMK because it is often hard to do it after they complete your unit. But some items such as kitchen faucets/bathroom faucets etc can be done on our own correct?

This is my first condo purchase and was looking to get advice on what would be the best way to go for the items that can easily be done and at a much much less cost if you did it yourself or hired contractor.

Thanks
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #226
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by therock473 View Post
I just got my upgrade selections for 235WVB and was wondering do we have to get them all done by the CMK?

For example, if I want to install my own cabinet handels/knobs rather than pay them am I allowed to do so? Some things, i understand is better left to CMK because it is often hard to do it after they complete your unit. But some items such as kitchen faucets/bathroom faucets etc can be done on our own correct?

This is my first condo purchase and was looking to get advice on what would be the best way to go for the items that can easily be done and at a much much less cost if you did it yourself or hired contractor.

Thanks
I would think it is up to CMK. I have been told before it's all or none. Typically, the improvements are market price or better, but it goes without saying a lot of things can be done cheaper if done yourself. An advantage to taking it up with the developer is the financing could work in your favor. A lot of the banks will write down the purchase price as the appraised value. Therefore, if it is tacked onto the purchase price you are essentially getting 80% financed with the interest tax-deductible at a very good rate (less than 6%) - assuming you put 20% down.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 10:16 AM   #227
Yoolee

Hello everyone. Have not posted in a while. Hey, THEROCK473, as far as I know you can make your own upgrades but it would be left entirely up to you. The price will not change but if you want to put in your own tile or faucets or cabinets, you still have to choose one of the ones that is included in the purchase price and they will leave them uninstalled in the unit for you. In other words if you want your own tile, you have to notify them and they will give you the boxes of tile that were included in the purchase price without being installed. Maybe you could sell it on craigslist to try and recoup. some of your money. Well, this was an option with my unit at 1620 S. Michigan, not sure if it still applies. For those worried about financing (including myself) a little birdie told me that CMK is currently or might have already been approved for FHA lending. This means you can qualify for a loan with only 3% down as long as you meet all criteria. I heard it was being worked on. Just to throw it out there, I have a unit in tier 12, anyone interested in buying me out? Good luck to all.
Yoolee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:47 AM   #228
b3

cell phone photos today

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by b3; January 23rd, 2009 at 05:15 AM.
b3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 08:00 AM   #229
akhoja

Will these be ready by May ?

Sales guys are saying that these apartments will be ready by May atleast the lower units.. what you guys think?

akhoja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:40 PM   #230
Sandeman
everything's looking up

It looks like the lower floors are going to be completed before the higher floors. When they will be done is anyone's guess...

Who knows how how many units have been sold? The sales office is constantly empty.

I have always wondered who would want to live in this remote corner of the Loop? I have worked across the street for years and I have never liked being in this area before 6AM and after 6PM. Anyone familiar with this area knows that it is a no man's land frequented by drunk homeless (thanks to Cal's Liquors down the street). Options for groceries, restaurants, taverns are very limited because the area shuts down at 6PM.

As far as the conversations about renting, good luck! The rental market is so over saturated that you can not possibly come close to leasing your unit to cover the mortgage/assessments/taxes. I am praying that my tenant in Streeterville will renew the lease before asking for a reduction in rent.

I am not a big fan of CMK's contributions to the Chicago skyline and 235 Van Buren is not an addition that will find a place in my heart. The only great aspect of this building in my view is not the overall design, not that it's another concrete peg filling a mass, not that its balconies appear to be adhered to the boxy facade, but the wonderful views that the south unit owners will enjoy for many years...
Sandeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 08:45 PM   #231
chief56

Likes (Received): 3

The lower floor units are probably about ready for occupation. Last I heard, they want to top out in May. Not bad going from L3 to roof in a year.
chief56 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #232
selfdirected

235 Van Buren Chicago a great spot!

The location of 235 Van Buren reminds me of lower Manhattan, where the entire financial district is concentrated around, from the stock exchange to the commodity exchanges. You have same proximity to Soho in NY as 235 Vanburen has to Michigan St, Rush St…etc.

The financial district in New York has started out the same way, limited and lacking in residences and it grew to place where rentals of 1200 square feet apartments are going for 5K and up! Buying it? Fogatabit! In the millions!

It’s easy to be a skeptic in this environment, no doubt, but the people who have bought units in 235 Vanburen, one day will see a place that has transformed to a place that is full of life. Prices will be way above where they are today.

The CME/CBOT is there, and that is a huge advantage because futures trading is only growing exponentially with the advent of the internet and it will attract more and more jobs and more families coming to the area.
Every time I visit Chicago, it’s such a pleasure! You guys are in a great spot. Think long term….speculators lose, but long term thinkers win.
selfdirected no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 05:18 AM   #233
Satan's Mile Boy
South Loop Person

I do agree that the location is dead after hours... But isn't the J. W. Marriott Conversion just down the block (which will include retail)? If the old post office is still being converted to retail and condos, then I think this area will be more lively in a few years.
Satan's Mile Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #234
3521usa

Likes (Received): 36

Btw, I totally agree with your assessment. It seems like some people on here are only capable of thinking short term and I think that's pretty sad. I'm sure when the first building went up in the south loop people were asking why and wondering who would want to live there. The point is you have to start somewhere and 235VB is not in a very desirable location but that location has so much potential and I too believe it will pick up in the future.

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; January 31st, 2009 at 05:30 AM.
3521usa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #235
Jibba

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr
Jibba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #236
therock473
Therock473

nice progress thanks for pics

still 50% sold..i doubt they will sell any more units anytime soon. My guess is they will be 60-65% sold by Oct 09 considering the economy...they may even lower their prices
Old February 1st, 2009, 06:16 PM   #237
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 15837

The design and especially the way they arranged the balconies is very much now, which is always a good thing. I appreciate a building that's a product of it's age, unlike some of these boxes that have some classical references attached to it.
Jan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 08:30 PM   #238
PrintersRowBoiler

I still am not sold on this project.... still to this day I am on the fence whether or not to invest in a 2 BR. The units are dirt cheap and they have what I am looking for (balcony, good view, low assessments, etc.). But the units have virtually little space for storage.

Secondly, I am not sold on the location. Obviously short term there is nothing going on here except for maybe the Post Office (which is disconnected to this development... Chicago River) if it ever goes. But this area is dead at nights/weekends. And long term, it will still be dead. Review of any of the neighborhood plans, and there is not much hope for a residential boom in this area. There is no place to build anything? Maybe the lots with Cal's and Cactus. Everything else is south of Congress. This building in my opinion will always be isolated with maybe just a couple other buildings at best.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:14 AM   #239
JoeZekas

About 450 sold

I met with CMK's marketing director earlier in the week (they're a client). If I recall correctly he said 235 had sold about 450 units, which would be upwards of 60%.
JoeZekas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:27 AM   #240
PrintersRowBoiler

Last edited by PrintersRowBoiler; February 2nd, 2009 at 05:50 AM. Reason: oops