daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 2nd, 2009, 05:06 AM   #241
JoeZekas

Likes (Received): 1

Don't be so quick to assume that people can't do math.

235, i.e. the project, had sold 450 of its 714 units.

450 / 714 - 63%

Last edited by JoeZekas; February 2nd, 2009 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Supplementing info
JoeZekas no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2009, 05:51 AM   #242
PrintersRowBoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeZekas View Post
Don't be so quick to assume that people can't do math.

235, i.e. the project, had sold 450 of its 714 units.

450 / 714 - 63%
Oops my bad... too many cold ones last night...
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:10 AM   #243
JoeZekas

The concrete will be painted, per the developer. The base will be a darker color.

Floors 14 through 18 have already been drywalled. Move-ins, starting at floors 14 through 21, are scheduled for late April / Early May, assuming city approvals.
Old February 7th, 2009, 12:01 AM   #244
JoeZekas

On the 18th and 25th floors at 235 Van Buren

Joe Askins, YoChicago's managing editor and I toured parts of the building today with Scott Hoskins, CMK's Director of Marketing.

My photo above is from a southwest corner unit on the 16th floor. We walked most of the units on the 16th floor and parts of the 25th floor. Fourteen through 18 have been dry-walled, and 25 is ready for the electricians to begin. Most of the units have 10 foot (nominal) ceiling heights and play a lot better than I expected from the floor plans. The large windows make a huge difference in the feel of the units.

The building is at 36 floors and will top out at 48 (weather obliging) within 2 months.

You can see more images at YoChicago. Click the smaller images to enlarge them.

We'll have video up early next week, and expect another walk-through with the developer about two weeks from now. If you have any questions about the building you'd like to pose to Colin Kihnke (the developer) e-mail them or post them here and I'll do my best to get answers for you.

Last edited by JoeZekas; February 7th, 2009 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Correct image link, url
Old February 9th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #245
therock473
Therock473

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks Joe!!

If you can get some more "view pics" from all directions that would be great.
therock473 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #246
JoeZekas

View pics coming

There's an interesting reason behind why we didn't have more view pics.

I've been on quite a few high-rise construction sites over the years. This one was locked down for safety as tightly as any I've ever seen. Since construction was underway and we were only on floors with the windows in, the windows made it tough to do anything from the inside. All the balconies were securely locked off, as they should be but often aren't. The contractor, Bovis, is running a tight ship.

Within a week or 10 days I'll be headed back up to a higher floor where we should be able to shoot without dirty windows clouding the view. I'll post a bunch of pics as soon as we have them.

ADDED: You'll get some muddy view shots from the 16th and 25th floors in the video at YouTube (below), which was shot last Friday. There's also more video on the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SitHSxSSYlI

Last edited by JoeZekas; February 10th, 2009 at 06:24 AM.
Old February 10th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #247
Jibba

Too bad this one's getting painted. The best part about this project for me was the honesty and expression of the form and the materials--paint will counter that aesthetic substantially, IMO.
Jibba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 07:38 AM   #248
JoeZekas

The second and third parts of our walk-through of 235 Van Buren are now live at YouTube:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SitHSxSSYlI

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-bjOd7C_Z4

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyGJuTLLLn8

In the third part we're on the 23rd and 25th floors, which are waiting on the electricians and about a week away from the beginning of drywalling.

At the risk of being repetitive, we'll be going up higher in about a week, and should be able to get some view shots at that time.
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #249
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Okay, JZ spill the beans.

After a long hiatus from SSC, you're recently back. Your website covers all sorts of projects in Chicago--why all the interest in 235 W Van Buren?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #250
JoeZekas

Questioning my motives for posting is a fair thing to do. If I didn't make it clear enough, I should have.

CMK is an advertising client. As a result of that I have access to information that people here have been asking for or speculating about.

That's also true for MCL Companies (ParkView), Belgravia Grouip (600 LSD, 565 Quincy) and a number of other projects.

Because of those relationships I also have access to the buildings in a way that isn't available to many of the members of this community.

I've always been a bit surprised that the developers aren't participating here and answering the questions that people are posing.

That said, I'm a pretty independent cat (I can afford to be), and do my best to pass on only information that is factually accurate.

If the information I'm providing isn't welcome, I'll respect the community's judgment on that.
Old February 12th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #251
chief56

Likes (Received): 3

Joe,
I think everyone appreciates your efforts with the information, pictures and videos. Keep em coming!
chief56 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #252
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

235 W Van Buren
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #253
Ch.G, Ch.G

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
Too bad this one's getting painted. The best part about this project for me was the honesty and expression of the form and the materials--paint will counter that aesthetic substantially, IMO.
That's terrible news. I love the texture of the concrete; it brings life to the base. You're right, Jibba: The bare materiality was part of the justification for such an honest but otherwise severe podium. Now it will just be severe.

Who's call is this? Ralph Johnson or the developer?
Ch.G, Ch.G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 12:58 AM   #254
srinven

Likes (Received): 0

Loan Deals From Chase

Did I hear correctly (in one of the you tube videos) about chase giving loans with 10% down and at 3.5%?
srinven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 03:31 AM   #255
JoeZekas

Yes and no

You heard correctly about 10% down payments. The 3.5% referred to the down payment on an FHA loan. FHA approval is being sought for the project.

There was no talk of a 3.5% mortgage interest rate.
Old February 25th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #256
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post

235 West Van Buren

cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #257
JoeZekas

Video from the 40th floor

Bovis, the construction manager, and CMK, the developer, were kind enough to provide us access to the construction site today.

We rode the construction elevator to the 33rd floor, then walked up to the 39th, the last full floor that's complete. We then climbed the construction ladder to the partially completed 40th floor.

I had a professional photographer along, so we'll have some great scenes for you early next week. We also shot about half an hour of video with the Bovis project manager and CMK's marketing director. Here's a brief teaser clip - there'll be much more to see next week.

Last edited by JoeZekas; March 7th, 2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old March 7th, 2009, 01:44 AM   #258
JoeZekas

235 Van Buren - from the 39th and 40th floors

I'll post a batch of images at Flickr - including high-res versions - early next week. Here are a few teaser shots.

Looking east from the partially-complete 40th floor onto the 39th.

Southeast view from the 40th floor.

Western part of 39th floor.

Eastern part of 39th floor, showing construction of 40th.

View northeast from the 39th floor.

Much more, later.
Old March 7th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #259
JoeZekas

More video available

Added some raw video which includes discussion of some of the construction techniques.
Old March 7th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #260
PrintersRowBoiler

Great video. It's amazing there are over 300 guys working on this building at once, and scary what happens to all these guys when the project(s) dry up. It is no wonder the blue collar neighborhoods are getting creamed by foreclosures.

I often forget how big a 46 story building is south of Congress. The SE, South, and West views are amazing. Even the lake views are impressive.

So what side will the views be the best 10 years from now? If and when the lot on the east side of Wells north of Congress is developed with a high rise, obviously that willkill eastern views from people facing south. If it is not, well, thanks to the historic buildings of Printers Row the lower levels should have a decent partial view of the lake. On the West side, if 401 S. Wacker gets built, residents of the first 35-40 floors will likely lose their western views from the west side of the building. Same goes for NW views if they build a second/third tower at 311 S. Wacker. Southwest views should be protected, especially towards the river thanks to the Wacker/Congress/Eisenhower interchange. South views will be lost if and when the west side of Wells is developed. SE will be lost if that lot at Wells/Congress is developed (not in forseeable future). East is good in the upper floors unless something big goes up at the lot of the sales center. North is good.

My vote would be the East (in particular the SE corner of the building so you get the river and lake views).
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote