daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 7th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #261
JoeZekas

Likes (Received): 1

More photos up at Flickr

Our means of ascent from the 39th to 40th floors.

I've uploaded 55 high-res (3872 x 2592) photos from yesterday's visit to the 39th and 40th floors to a set at Flickr. You can also view them as a slideshow.

These are my photos, so not the best. We'll have the ones from our staff photographer available next week.

Last edited by JoeZekas; March 7th, 2009 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Corrected typo
JoeZekas no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2009, 12:50 AM   #262
paytonc
Pragmatist

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
So what side will the views be the best 10 years from now?
Due south and southwest: remember, it's next to the Wacker/Congress interchange, which isn't going anywhere. (Yes, these can be decked over, but there are far more readily developable parcels around.) Southwest is the thermal plant, which is too tied in to the infrastructure to be easily moved -- and can't have anything built above it.

It will be a long time before the parking garage to the north gets replaced by anything.
Old March 10th, 2009, 05:56 AM   #263
JoeZekas

View south from 40th floor

Photo by Michael Kardas, Kardas Photography. See another Kardas panorama from atop 235 Van Buren at YoChicago.
Old March 10th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #264
therock473
Therock473

Joe-
Thank you and your staff for providing these exclusives..
therock473 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 01:50 AM   #265
JoeZekas

A hard-hat tour, in photos and video

Michael Kardas photo, panoramic view of 39th and 40th floor construction.

I've added 70 Kardas photos to the set at Flickr, bringing the total to 125 images. You can also view them as a slideshow.

In the first part of our edited video tour at YouTube, Bovis Lend Lease Senior Superintendent Jason Etheridge shows us around a part of the 39th floor and gives us some details on the flying forms. Bear with the audio - it's hard to descibe how noisy the conditions were up there.

More video, later. In the meanwhile, our thanks to Scott Hoskins of CMK and Jason Etheridge of Bovis for providing access and showing us around.
Old March 20th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #266
therock473
Therock473

Delivery

Is delivery still on time?

I remember they were saying that they anticipate April/May Delivery for lower units.

My friend has a space on the 16th floor..he still has not received any papers/etc for closing ..or getting ready for closing

any ideas?
Old March 20th, 2009, 05:01 AM   #267
JoeZekas

Deliveries pushed back a bit

The latest word I had from the marketing director was that deliveries are currently anticipated to begin in mid-May / end of May. They had been expecting to begin deliveries a month earlier.

I was in units on the 16th floor that appeared to be very near completion. Check these pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chicago...se/3344587427/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chicago...se/3344587383/

Last edited by JoeZekas; March 20th, 2009 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Added photo links
Old March 29th, 2009, 08:32 AM   #268
Precast

March 2009

Recent Exterior and Aerial Pics

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3637/...6890b395_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3465/...f3577151_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3471/...e9004801_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3575/...0675bb40_b.jpg

Last edited by Precast; March 29th, 2009 at 08:52 AM.
Precast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #269
therock473
Therock473

Delivery

Looks like they are on schedule..or even in some cases ahead of schedule
Old April 10th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #270
Reinsdorf Sucks
Seven Costanza

Likes (Received): 4

The core appears to be topped.
Reinsdorf Sucks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #271
Helmet Yawn

the contemporaine is one of the best residential high rises built in the united states over the last 15 years. the collaboration between p & w and cmk made it so.

that being said, this building is everything the contemporaine isn't. it's fat, unelegant, awkward, cliched, and about 5 years too late as far as ground-breaking design is concerned. knowing how long things take to get built in this city, it probably was designed 5 years ago, but it lacks the timeless quality of contemporaine. the only saving grace is that most young architects recognize this and won't try to copy this one.

hydro, if you could, please take a definitive b&w shot of contemporaine and post it on this site, would you?
Helmet Yawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #272
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Helmet - I typically agree with you, but, I'm not sure that I can in this instance. I think they took a very simple form and made it moderately interesting on a tight budget. I applaud the building as a completely passable piece of infill - the Contemporaine it's not, but, it's not the Shoreham either.
Old April 12th, 2009, 06:08 AM   #273
PrintersRowBoiler

Actually, I thought this building was proposed, designed, and built in extremely quick time (although they are topping it off, it probably was designed 2 years ago). I agree 100$ with geoff - built on a tight budget so they can offer the units to yuppies earning entry level salaries and investors who could cover their costs by renting out to the yuppies.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #274
therock473
Therock473

furthermore

in regards to the previous comments. This building has absolutely minimal amenities (pool, fitness center, rooftop access etc) which also contributes to the fast construction phase of the building. I wouldn't necessarily call this building an eye sore either. It is a in a great location and is really tailored for those folks looking to be close to work or are simply investors or first time home buyers. If you look at the shots precast provided the building actually looks pretty nice and stands apart from neighboring structures. When looking at the skyline south viewing north....a few buildings stick out. The sears tower, cna bulding, at&t building and 235 to name a few. I agree that its not necessarily the most architecturally advanced structure out there...but its not like its a big concrete slab at the edge of the city. I am actually curious to see what the main areas will look like inside. If it is similar to 1720 s Michigan..then it will certainly bring a modern feel to the building.

My biggest concern is for all those pre construction sold units, now that closing time is near...how many of those folks will actually be approved. This could be an interesting time because it is hard to say what will happen to the prices of the building even if 10% of those people get denied for loan. How will it affect the rest of us that have units?
Old April 15th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #275
Yoolee

Therock473, I completely agree with you. I have the same concerns and also like how and where 235 W. Van Buren sits. I am extremely excited about the completion of this project but you can't help to think, if this is an investment, does it make more sense to walk away from a 5% initial investment or a depreciating asset that may take some time to reach bottom, which may be a loss much larger than 5%. I remain positive and do believe this was and still is a great investment. The only difference is, the holding period before considering selling will be longer. I am extremely happy with this developer and their product. Despite the current situation, I believe you will kick yourself if you do not do everything possible to find a way to close on the unit you may currently have a contract on. Different people are in different situations but this is definantely worth fighting for. I am speaking from experience. Financing options were extremely reduced at the start of this economic problem but banks are starting to work on this. Word is that B of A is working on some loan programs that will help alot of people. According to a "little birdie" it is their way of saying thank you to the people for the bailout. I will post details if I get any. Also, look to FHA options. Can anyone confirm if this project has been approved for FHA or the 3.5% down? Those loans are also becoming extremely flexible. To those of us struggling, DON'T GIVE UP! GO DOWN SWINGING!
Yoolee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #276
PrintersRowBoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoolee View Post
Can anyone confirm if this project has been approved for FHA or the 3.5% down? Those loans are also becoming extremely flexible. To those of us struggling, DON'T GIVE UP! GO DOWN SWINGING!
I did not see it on the lsit of FHA approved buildings. Sometimes developments will pursue "pre-approvals" with a condition that 51% of the units must be owner-occupied. This is rare, even in the older buildings. I can't imagine half the units in this building will be owned by the residents. So be careful.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #277
Mokeman
Mokeman

I'm thinking I will be better off walking away. Do not want to do that, but I will not be in a position to close in June (22 floor). Maybe a later closing might give me a better option. Any thoughts on how I can delay my closing?
Mokeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #278
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokeman View Post
I'm thinking I will be better off walking away. Do not want to do that, but I will not be in a position to close in June (22 floor). Maybe a later closing might give me a better option. Any thoughts on how I can delay my closing?
you should probably talk to a lawyer or some kind of financial advisor. asking people in a skyscraper forum with questionable credentials (heck I barely even trust people to get height on buildings right ) may not be the best place to go for first-line advice.
Old April 24th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #279
therock473
Therock473

chicago.craigslist.org/chc/reo/1125229180.html

Someone certainly wants out. I think it should be noted here..that 235 Will not allow you to sell/transfer your contract before you close. I spoke with them a few months ago and basically the bank will not allow the release of the condo and place it under a new "owners" name.

The option is to hold for six months and then sell.

Now I dont know if thats 100% entirely true. I think they just said this to prevent people from trying to get out of their contracts. I understand that from their perspective it would require a lot of work to get it transferred
Old April 27th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #280
spidergirl

Just wanted to share some information with those of you who would like to walk away from your signed contract for 235 Van Buren. Not only you will lose your 5% of the earnest money, which you have paid, but also you will need to pay the additional 10% of the purchase price. You probably have signed the "promissory note" on the contract, which means that you will be liable for the entire 15% of the purchase price if you cannot close. CMK will go after you for the additional 10%. With that being said, you will lose the total of 15% of the purchase price on the contract. I have been doing research, trying to see what do I need to do to walk away the contract. The worse case is to lose 15%, not 5%, which is pretty substantial. I was told by one of the sale agent, that CMK did pursue a lawsuit to collect the remaining balance on the promissory note against 40 buyers who failed to close for 1720. I guess 15% is just too much to lose.......
spidergirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote