daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 23rd, 2009, 05:03 AM   #321
Sir Isaac Newton

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokeman View Post
Anyone closed yet? How are the prices holding up given the current housing market?
I closed last week....although I'm not sure exactly what you mean by prices holding up. In terms of the remaining unsold units in this building, I don't believe that CMK has made any price reductions, if that is what you are asking....
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2009, 02:25 PM   #322
Chiman

Likes (Received): 1

Congrats Ike -- it's a beautiful building (IMO)
Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 05:59 AM   #323
spidergirl

If anyone is interested in taking over my contract, please contact me directly. I have purchased a 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom on 27th floor.
spidergirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #324
Mokeman
Mokeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
I closed last week....although I'm not sure exactly what you mean by prices holding up. In terms of the remaining unsold units in this building, I don't believe that CMK has made any price reductions, if that is what you are asking....
What I mean are the condos holding their values given the economy and the downturn in the housing market.
Mokeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 12:58 AM   #325
akhoja

any updates here?

Hey.. so whats going on.. ppls who bought it are they closing? or moving away.. ppls who have closed..hows everything with you guys...

akhoja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 03:49 AM   #326
Mokeman
Mokeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhoja View Post
Hey.. so whats going on.. ppls who bought it are they closing? or moving away.. ppls who have closed..hows everything with you guys...

Where is everyone?
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #327
therock473
Therock473

I havent closed yet so I am also wondering

The main lobby is open for you to take a look at. Looks nice..very high ceilings...
therock473 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 02:47 AM   #328
HalfManHalfAmazing

I went and looked at a unit for rent last month and the building is just AWFUL on the inside. Perhaps there are other floorplans, but I don't see how that's possible as the layout of the hallways leads me to believe that all the 1 bedrooms are like this:

LONG.

Laid out like a box car. The industrial look is cheap and tacky. The kitchen/living room is super tiny, and im not quite sure how you could live in it. Anything you cooked would get all over your furniture. The bedroom has no windows, and the only source of natural light in a 10' by 2' opening which abuts the kitchen wall. There is so much underutilized space taken up by a SUPER long, dark hallway. There is ONE airconditioning vent, in the kitchen. The bathroom and bedroom have no ventilation other than a small, ceiling, suction vent in the bathroom.

The landlord wanted $1250/month for the one bedroom. I wouldn't pay 1/2 of that. It's simply not a livable building. I was sad for him, I cant imagine how he will ever recoup his money let alone that the property could go up in value.

The ONLY positive was the VERY VERY tiny balcony which has a beautiful view.
HalfManHalfAmazing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #329
JoeZekas

Where did HalfManHalfAmazing go?

He didn't go to the same building I was at on Thursday.

I visited half a dozen of the furnished models and can guarantee you that the units and the common areas are nothing like his description.

The balconies, just for one example, are much larger than many other buildings, and the corner units have very large wraparounds. Anyone can see from the exterior of the building what the balcony size is.

Looks like a first-time poster with some sort of agenda here - not someone who's reporting accurately about the building.

Disclosure: CMK is an advertising client of my firm.
JoeZekas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #330
HalfManHalfAmazing

Wow SHOCKER that you would defend the building then.

I have no agenda other than being a Chicagoan on the lookout for his fellow man. I'm a law student, I have no interest in the building, don't represent a competitor.

There are BOATLOADS of condos in this building for rent on Craigslist (A lot of people bought before looking I would assume) so anyone that's curious can go take a spin for themselves.
Old July 27th, 2009, 07:40 AM   #331
JoeZekas

HalfManHalfAmazing more than half wrong

Just as anyone can look at the building and compare what they see with what you say you saw, anyone can look at Craigsist and verify that there are not, in fact "boatloads" of condos for rent in this building.

What you will see is a few units with multiple ads. And, as per usual on Craigslist, some of those ads will be bogus, with rental services using an attractive building as bait for naive renters.
Old July 27th, 2009, 11:13 PM   #332
HalfManHalfAmazing

11 Unique posts for the building just posted today. Find me another building in Chicago that has 11 ads per day posted.
Old July 28th, 2009, 05:16 AM   #333
Mokeman
Mokeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfManHalfAmazing View Post
11 Unique posts for the building just posted today. Find me another building in Chicago that has 11 ads per day posted.
How about hearing from someone who has actually closed on their unit??????

Also JoeZekas, what's up with the FB page? Noting new posting on that page. I do not live in Chicago now, I'm scheduled to close soon and I will love to hear ppls' opinion of the finished building.

Last edited by Mokeman; July 28th, 2009 at 05:22 AM.
Old July 28th, 2009, 06:00 AM   #334
JoeZekas

Facebook page / Craigslist

Mokeman,

CMK will be updating the Facebook group page later this week. As of last Thursday when I was at the building, just over 100 units had closed.

HalfManHalfAmazing,

Give it up. Anyone can follow this link and see that, today, July 27, at this late time in the evening, there are only 5 posts today at Craigslist. Five, not 11. Anyone who believes that those 5 posts represent 5 actual units just doesn't know anything about the apartment brokers and other slime who post at Craigslist.

Check this listing, for example, which bills 235 as "in the heart of River North."
Old July 28th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #335
chief56

Likes (Received): 3

Actually, there are 12 listings on that link.

Most of them are realty companies though, not individuals.
chief56 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #336
JoeZekas

But only 5 posted yesterday.

Last edited by JoeZekas; July 29th, 2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Typos
Old July 30th, 2009, 04:25 AM   #337
Mokeman
Mokeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeZekas View Post
Mokeman,

CMK will be updating the Facebook group page later this week. As of last Thursday when I was at the building, just over 100 units had closed.

HalfManHalfAmazing,

Give it up. Anyone can follow this link and see that, today, July 27, at this late time in the evening, there are only 5 posts today at Craigslist. Five, not 11. Anyone who believes that those 5 posts represent 5 actual units just doesn't know anything about the apartment brokers and other slime who post at Craigslist.

Check this listing, for example, which bills 235 as "in the heart of River North."
Thanks Joe for the update.
Old July 30th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #338
Sir Isaac Newton

I closed on a 2 bedroom/1 bathroom condo about a month ago and am looking to rent it out, as was my original plan.

I am using a few different apartment finder companies, although I don't think that any of them are using Craigslist. One of the apartment agents informed me that CMK is renting out some of there unsold inventory. Between all of this, and that closings started a month or two ago on I think in the ballkpark of 400 contracts, of course there are going to be many units in this building available for rent right now. I'm not sure what Halfman's point is, about mentioning that he saw 11 ads on Craigslist for units in this building.

I will agree with Halfman in that the layout for some (but not all) of the units are not that great...a little bit too long and narrow, and the living rooms are a little bit on the smaller side. While the units are nothing like the Manhattanesque shoeboxes that Halfman makes them out to be, someone who highly values a HUGE living space may not want to live in this building. There are quite a few apartments in Chicago that are very spacious - but not the majority of apartments downtown are not. And contrary to what Halfman said, the balconies are actually QUITE spacious.

That being said, I don't think that the landlord will have too much difficulty in recouping his money. The biggest selling point for these condos is that they are/were being sold at an incredibly cheap price for being downtown. I know that in my own situation, the rent I'm offering is $160 greater than my mortgage payment and assessments combined...and while I haven't rented my place out yet (which is primarily due to there being an insanely high amount of rentals on the market downtown due to the recent construction of numerous high rise rental buildings), I've had many showings and am pretty confident that I'll have my place rented out soon, at or very close to the rental price that I'm currently marketing.
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 12:48 AM   #339
JoeZekas

Sir Isaac,

Quoting from an e-mail from Scott Hoskins, CMK's marketing director: "the developer is absolutely not renting unsold units. For sale only."

I have a personal policy of believing absolutely nothing I hear from any apartment finder. That policy has served me well over the years.
Old July 31st, 2009, 02:24 AM   #340
paytonc
Pragmatist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfManHalfAmazing View Post
Laid out like a box car.
That's pretty much how most "loft-style" one-bedrooms built in the past several years have been. The front is an LDK combo, the middle is the bedroom with a partial-height wall to the kitchen, and the back is the bathroom. To make a 2BR unit, just add another bedroom to the side.