daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 12th, 2007, 03:19 AM   #61
PilotEricB

Likes (Received): 0

235 W. Van Buren

Well, there's at least 3 of us on here that have bought units in the building...so that's at least a verified 0.04% sold!!
PilotEricB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #62
Yoolee

Hello everyone. It's interesting to read opinions regarding the CMK 235 W. Van Buren project. I actually have signed a contract on a unit there about 4 months ago. I currently live at 1620 S. Michigan, also a CMK project. I know it is a great investment whether you plan to live there or rent it out. 1620 has turned out very well for me. "If you build it they will come", that is how I feel about 235. Look at South Loop, sure, the availability for expansion is considerably different but I feel this project will have several creative juices flowing to grow the area when it comes to retail availability. I sure hope Cal's and Peppers are sticking around! I believe sales are going very well. I was last in the sales center on Michigan about 2 months ago and almost all the units in my tier were gone (SW corner). I sure am glad I got in when I did. Any updates on when this will go public?
Yoolee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:39 PM   #63
bart3

I suspect the 75% figure is true as well based on the information I have received from my sales agent a CMK. I have a north facing 1 bedroom on hold and the entire tier sold out in the first few weeks, about 4 weeks ago they told me that they had sold over 200 1bedrooms alone and they were almost all gone.
bart3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:13 PM   #64
danthediscoman

Likes (Received): 1

I can't remember any devolopment selling so many units before marketing even began, can anyone else?
danthediscoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 02:59 AM   #65
bart3

looks more interesting close up, see below

Last edited by bart3; May 27th, 2007 at 03:05 AM.
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:03 AM   #66
bart3

a new drawing:

image hosted on flickr

I think this one below must be an older conceptual drawing (too bad).

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by bart3; May 27th, 2007 at 03:22 AM.
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:49 AM   #67
danthediscoman

So is the first rendering actually the current design or is it just new as in new to us...if the first one is an accurate representation of this tower, then I think Im in love, its gorgous.
danthediscoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:05 AM   #68
bart3

Yes the first drawing should be an accurate representation of the building, it was just added to the CMK website.
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #69
CHIsentinel
padisha emperor

Likes (Received): 319

Agreed.
image hosted on flickr

Those balconies look like braille or some old 80's 2-bit-block video game - absolutely briliant.
CHIsentinel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #70
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Pretty damn sexy.
Old May 27th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #71
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Neat building.

It kind of makes me wonder if there are still any active plans to build the two other office towers that were planned for either side of the nearby block with the 311 S Wacker building.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #72
CHIsentinel
padisha emperor

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Neat building.

It kind of makes me wonder if there are still any active plans to build the two other office towers that were planned for either side of the nearby block with the 311 S Wacker building.

Mike
Doubtful perhaps. I believe those two towers which were essentially identical to 311 S. Wacker, were part of the original scheme for that area, but that was ultimately scrapped more than 15-17 in favor of the one building that was ultimately built.
CHIsentinel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 01:11 AM   #73
BorisMolotov

Likes (Received): 9

^ And I'm glad. Can you imagine 3 of those buildings right next to each other?
BorisMolotov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 01:46 AM   #74
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Three of them would probably blind nearby pilots.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 04:10 AM   #75
Frumie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisMolotov View Post
^ And I'm glad. Can you imagine 3 of those buildings right next to each other?
There were to be two identical towers bonded with the winter garden atrium; it really would have been a spectacular finish to the east side of Wacker. At that time, it was the world's largest concrete pour for a skyscraper; Trump will trump that. The recession aborted the second phase of the project. I believe it was a Texas outfit.
Old May 29th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #76
therock473
Therock473

Hey fellow van buren residents. i ended up buying 2 units here.

a couple of questions you guys might be able to answer

1) i have a unit on the 43rd facing south you think i will be able to get some lakeviews from the balcony?

2) I work right by the construction site..there is crane there but it hasnt moved in months. any idea why construction hasnt started? i was told it was going to start in may

thanks
also i hear that parking there is appreciating quite nicely
therock473 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 04:47 AM   #77
PilotEricB

235 W. Van Buren

I think there is an excellent chance of a lake view from the 43rd floor. Granted, it's not the same, but you can go to the 14th floor of the parking garage on the north side of the street and that will give you a good perspective of what the obstructions are to the southeast. The 440 S. LaSalle building is 40 stories tall just to the south and east on Congress. I think if you turn towards the lake, you'll have a pretty good sliver to the immediate east and slightly south. I will be on the 28th floor and I am happy with the views just to the south.

As far as construction delays, I basically work for CMK but I haven't wanted to bug them for an answer. I think they are pretty focused on topping off the 1720 S. Michigan building right now. Hopefully I can have a clearer answer soon.
PilotEricB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #78
therock473
Therock473

Advertising is UP!!

Just an update..walked by the construction site and they have surrounded the fences with advertising for 235 W Van Buren. Its open to the public now. They are advertising condos from the low 200's and have CMKs number.
therock473 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 02:57 AM   #79
robituss

A south view would be cool, especially since it would be permanent. Who cares about the lake, you can watch the south loop grow like crazy over the next few years, and you can watch cars circle around all day when you're bored.

This design, like most of CMK's, is pretty simple to me. Not amazing, but pretty solid. My favorite thing about CMK though, is they get shit done, and fast. They threw 1720 up faster than almost any other building Ive noticed.
robituss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:42 AM   #80
duke_of_hazard

Is it a good investment?

Anyone know roughly what the condo fees are for this place, say for a 1-bedroom? I suppose the price is ok if you plan to live there, but are rents high enough to make any money off of? Usually you need 1% of the property value in rent per month to be making money. So for a 250k condo, can you rent it out for $2500 ? Also a lot of people are speculating on the development of teh south loop area. Doesn't the price already reflect this? What are the appreciation rates for other condos built in the last 10 years in downtown?

Sorry for so many q's, hopefully yuo can answer whatever you can.
duke_of_hazard no está en línea   Reply With Quote