daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 18th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #21
GuitarAce
Turn it WHAT?!

Likes (Received): 0

I don't know what all the fuss is about. I actually like it. It may just be a glorified box, but I think it's nicely done. I see plenty to look at. It really has some nice verticle elements.

I don't mind seeing buildings like this. They certainly add density, and at 644' this one has its ups as well.

Nothing wrong with a good box.
GuitarAce no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2007, 03:48 AM   #22
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

This is a nice building. However:
* We already have enough similar buildings in the proposed area
* There is limited opportunity to build in the loop, I believe every new building there should be special
* The location near the bend of the river will make this building more visible
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #23
Chi_Coruscant

Well, the tower isn't exactly eye-catching or stunning. I think it is much better to plop down this tower on the vacant lot on the west side of Franklin St between Washington St and Randolph St. The lot was owned by Crown family and has been sitting for 5 years, maybe longer.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #24
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Yes, except that John Buck wants to build a house on all the colored squares marked "Wacker Drive". Once he has a house on all of them, he can build a hotel and charge even higher rents.

But yes, the intersection of Randolph/Franklin needs a new building on the NE/SW corners, which have been vacant or parking lots for at least 12 years, probably more. Also a new building on the NW corner of Washington/Franklin, which used to have the old Merc building.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:15 AM   #25
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

More scaffolding is going up at 155 North Wacker.

February 21, 2007

Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 05:23 AM   #26
ricardo

Likes (Received): 1

has anyone seen the book on goettsch partners designs. The book contains
alot of new buildings beeing proposed for the city, including this one with differents designs. There are alot of suprises inside. You can get it any book store. Trust me you do not want to miss this book.
ricardo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #27
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

From SSP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
Demolition has begun at the 155 N. Wacker site. Work crews on Saturday were tearing into the rear of one of the mid-block buildings, dirrectly east of the yellow brick shit box.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #28
Retrograde
Chicago

March 8, 2007

Old March 10th, 2007, 02:00 AM   #29
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=24176

Law firm signs lease at proposed Loop tower
Skadden would take 15% of Buck's 155 N. Wacker

John Buck Co. says it has signed a lease with Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom LLP for a new 46-story office tower that the Chicago development firm has proposed for a site at 155 N. Wacker Drive.

The giant New York law firm has agreed to take about 165,000 square feet in the 1.1-million-square-foot tower, which is scheduled to be completed by July 1, 2009, Buck says in a statement.

But Skadden’s Chicago office would take just 15% of the proposed tower, creating a significant leasing challenge for Buck, which in recent years also developed UBS Tower at 1 N. Wacker Drive and 111 S. Wacker Drive.

“The continued leasing success of (those buildings) confirms our belief that there is a strong market demand for A+ buildings in this . . . location,” says John O’Donnell, a principal with Buck.

But many experts like Buck's chances, and say existing towers will eventually feel the impact, as tenants defect to the new tower.

"It's going to compound the giant sucking sound out of the second- and third-generation Class A buildings," says Richard Schuham, executive vice-president with Studley Inc., a tenant rep firm.

Attorney Marian Wexler, the head of Skadden's local real estate practice, cites the “state-of-the-art facilities” and “enhanced technology” as reasons for making the move to 155 N. Wacker from 333 W. Wacker Drive.

Drew Nieman, also a principal with Buck, handled the negotiations with Skadden, which was advised by Elaine Melonides, managing director with Chicago-based Jones Lang LaSalle.

Negotiations began about five months ago.

Scaffolding already is being put up around the existing, 10-story office building at 155 N. Wacker, which would be torn down to make way for the new skyscraper.

Construction is expected to begin this summer. Buck confirms that construction financing will be provided by a syndicate led by Bank of America, LaSalle Bank and German financial institution Helaba. Sources have previously said the construction loans will total $290 million.

The project is a joint venture that includes an investment fund managed by Buck, Morgan Stanley’s Prime Property Fund and Chicago-based Brijus Properties. Brijus sold the site to Buck.

The tower is being designed by Chicago-based Goettsch Partners.

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 02:11 AM   #30
Chitowner245

It's ok, but relatively uninspiring. The height and glass will be nice additions to the area though.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #31
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Uhh... 111 S. Wacker redux anyone? Gosh that lobby looks familiar .
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:17 AM   #32
spyguy
Expert

April 19 Plan Commission Agenda

A proposed Business Planned Development submitted by JBC/155 Development LLC for
the property generally located at 155 North Wacker Drive. The applicant proposes to
construct a 660-foot office tower to contain approximately 1,100,000 square feet of office
space, ground floor retail and 177 below-grade parking spaces. (42nd Ward)
Old April 11th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #33
trvlr70

I just can't seem to get excited about this building. It is simply filler to me. Perhaps the current boom is making me laxadasical about anything less than stellar.
trvlr70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #34
Chitowner245

^ Regardless of the boom, if it's fantastic, people notice it and love it. This building couldn't be more blah and look like a few other buildings in the city. No one is getting too excited about this and nor should they. It's not great architecture, and in this city people notice that and recognize their due accord to kind of ignore it.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 11:48 PM   #35
24gotham
Formerly InTheLoop

I worked on the seventh floor of the current 155 N Wacker in 1999-2000, and trust me when I say that loosing this one, is no loss at all. The building is much older than the exterior would proport, but was badly re-skinned in the 1950's removing any aspect of what was once a charming structure from an earlier part of the 20th century.

The company I worked for was located there stricktly for the Wacker Drive address, as this was the lowest rent sh*t-hole on Wacker. The new building, while not ground breaking, is a nice addition to the Wacker Drive Streetwall, and I welcome its arrival. I like how the lobby is focused on Randolph as well as Wacker.

Formerly "InTheLoop" of Chicago.
24gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:16 AM   #36
Retrograde
Chicago

May 21, 2007

Old June 13th, 2007, 02:16 AM   #37
spyguy
Expert

http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=25319

The Commission also signed off on a proposal for the city to acquire three properties just east of an office tower that the John Buck Co. plans at 155 N. Wacker Drive. The city and developer plan to raze the three low-rise buildings on the parcels to make way for a park.
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #38
spyguy
Expert

http://chicagorealestatedaily.com/cg...ws.pl?id=25322

Second tenant signs lease at 155 N. Wacker
By Alby Gallun

The John Buck Co. has landed a second tenant for its planned 46-story office tower at 155 N. Wacker Drive, luring Bridge Finance Group LLC there from its current home at the Sears Tower.

Bridge, a specialty finance firm, has signed a lease for 82,700 square feet on the top three floors of the new Buck high-rise, joining law firm Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom LLP, which agreed in March to lease as much as 185,000 square feet.

Chicago-based Buck is demolishing an existing building on the site and plans to begin construction of the 1.1-million-square-foot tower next month.

Bridge currently occupies about 30,000 square feet at the Sears Tower but needs extra space to accommodate projected rapid growth, says President and CEO Randy Abrahams. Founded by Mr. Abrahams three years ago, the firm employs 96 people, about half of whom work in Chicago.
Old June 13th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #39
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1447

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
DAMN - how did I miss this??? I work at Two North Riverside (until they lay me off next week, haha) and my vantage of this property is almost EXACTLY what you see in the rendering, except from 20 stories up.

I've been staring at them tear down the old building for weeks now, and had NO clue what was going in there. How did I miss this thread?????

It's pretty comical watching the little bobcats and whatnot race all over inside that building slowly eating it from the top down. It's cool to watch it all happen from a birds eye view.

I know a lot of people are saying it's bland, but I honestly like this tower. Between the old 155 N. Wacker, the General Growth building, and that other one near Lake on Wacker - this area REALLY needs this building to make it more "loopy". I'm excited about this building - 95% of the cities in our country would be ecstatic to get a 660' tall building like this....
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 06:44 AM   #40
Retrograde
Chicago

June 12, 2007

^ not much left