daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 8th, 2015, 10:58 AM   #3881
Ярик1010
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2443

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB2010 View Post
Number of new metro stations opened in Russia each year since 2010:
2010 - 6 (Moscow - 2, Sankt Petersburg - 2, Kazan - 1, Novosibirsk - 1)
2011 - 8 (Moscow - 3, Volgograd - 3, Sankt Petersburg - 1, Yekaterinburg - 1)
2012 - 8 (Moscow - 3, Sankt Petersburg - 3, Nizny Novgorod - 1, Yekaterinburg - 1)
2013 - 5 (Kazan - 3, Moscow - 2)
2014 - 4 (Moscow - 4)
2015 - 2 (Moscow - 1, Samara - 1)
Not quite so:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
2010 - 5 stations: Moscow (2), St. Petersburg, Kazan, Novosibirsk;
2011 - 5 stations: Moscow (3), St. Petersburg, Yekaterinburg + 3 Metrotram stations: Volgograd;
2012 - 7 stations: Moscow (3), St. Petersburg (2), Nizhny Novgorod, Yekaterinburg;
2013 - 5 stations: Kazan (3), Moscow (2).
2014 - 6 stations: Moscow (6);
2015 - 2 stations: Moscow, Samara.

Quote:
Interestingly in Tehran 31 new stations were opened, more than twice as much as in Moscow (just 15).
There was opened 17 Moscow Metro stations during this period.
Ярик1010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2015, 02:40 AM   #3882
Rail_Serbia

Likes (Received): 670

Quote:
Meanwhile in Russia there are many really big cities (around one million or more inhabitants) where the construction of metro lines has been dragging on for a long time without a single station inaugurated or even totally abandoned (Omsk, Chelyabinsk, Krasnoyarsk). Other big Russian cities lack any kind of a modern transportation (Rostov na Donu, Voronezh, Perm, Ufa). Russia is now in a dire economic situation but even before the current crisis the country lacked resources to provide the above mentioned cities with a decent transportation systems. The main problem is that in Russia the military has always had a priority and the civil infrastructure has been more or less neglected.
The fact is that Russian cities public transport systems are neglected, but that is not because of investing in military. Investing in weapons has some economical benefits, because of export (I don't support that, I just write the fact).

Real reasons are:
- Russia now expirience "car revolution". There is increasing number of cars, on old infrastructure from USSR time. There is a lot of investment in road infrastructure, but it is never enough, because USSR boulevards in big cities are planned for <=20% car transport.
- The most of polititions, decision makers, are fanatic car users, which looks on tramway like an obstacle for car transport. In the most of Russian cities, some very developed tram network are shortened, in some cities totaly closed. There are only a few exeprtions with good tram systems.
- Somewhere, the reasons for closing tram lines was ambitions of some building companies to grab the land from tram depots and terminals.
- The high level of ground water, harsh winters, bad structure of soil, expensive working force, and monopoly of some companies are the reasons for high costs of metro projects.
- The most of finacial power is concetrated in Moscow, because just all head officies for biggest companies are located in Moscow. In that case, there is permanent lack of money in city budget of no-Moscow cities.
- At all, Moscow now invest more in rail based public transport then Tehran, because Moscow invest in very extensive suburban and regional rail network. After years of neglecting not-metro public transport, Moscow now invest in all transport modes.
- Iran has state supported metro projects, but in Russia, there are only a few exeptions, where federal budget is used for metro projects.

At all, Russia don't have good policy of regional development, and it has nothing to do with Russia military program.
Rail_Serbia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 10:05 PM   #3883
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail_Serbia View Post
The fact is that Russian cities public transport systems are neglected, but that is not because of investing in military. Investing in weapons has some economical benefits, because of export (I don't support that, I just write the fact).

Real reasons are:
- Russia now expirience "car revolution". There is increasing number of cars, on old infrastructure from USSR time. There is a lot of investment in road infrastructure, but it is never enough, because USSR boulevards in big cities are planned for <=20% car transport.
- The most of polititions, decision makers, are fanatic car users, which looks on tramway like an obstacle for car transport. In the most of Russian cities, some very developed tram network are shortened, in some cities totaly closed. There are only a few exeprtions with good tram systems.
- Somewhere, the reasons for closing tram lines was ambitions of some building companies to grab the land from tram depots and terminals.
That how it was in 50'and 60's in USA. Before that tramway networks were very well developed in every bigger city in US. When people started to drive cars and move to suburbs big companies like General Motor or Ford started to lobby for tramways removal from cities and for building urban highways. In New York there was (in)famous Robert Moses. He demolished big chunk of city to make a room for highways. Now in US there is an opposite trend. More and more cities are going back to develop modern public transportation networks. Looks like 50 years later Russia is going similar way...

Eiropro liked this post
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 11:34 PM   #3884
Eiropro
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3282

Quote:
Russia claims to be a world superpower yet the country is not able to provide with a metro line one of its biggest cities. The construction of the Omsk metropoliten has been going on since 1992 and after more than 20 years it looks just like the pictures published above show us ...

Observing the development of metro systems in the Russian cities I came to the surprising conclusion: Russia has been surpassed by much smaller and until a short time ago less developed Iran.

Number of new metro stations opened in Russia each year since 2010:
2010 - 6 (Moscow - 2, Sankt Petersburg - 2, Kazan - 1, Novosibirsk - 1)
2011 - 8 (Moscow - 3, Volgograd - 3, Sankt Petersburg - 1, Yekaterinburg - 1)
2012 - 8 (Moscow - 3, Sankt Petersburg - 3, Nizny Novgorod - 1, Yekaterinburg - 1)
2013 - 5 (Kazan - 3, Moscow - 2)
2014 - 4 (Moscow - 4)
2015 - 2 (Moscow - 1, Samara - 1)
Total: 33 new stations (and a visible declining trend)

Iran:
2010 - 6 (Tehran - 6)
2011 - 28 (Mashad - 22, Tehran - 6)
2012 - 7 (Tehran - 7)
2013 - none
2014 - 10 (Tehran - 5, Shiraz - 5)
2015 - 14 (Tehran - 7, Tabriz - 6, Shiraz - 1)
Total: 65 new stations !

Interestingly in Tehran 31 new stations were opened, more than twice as much as in Moscow (just 15).

Iranian metro networks are also much newer than Russian (first metro line there was inaugurated in 1999).
Blah blal blah. How many station did Poland open? Compared to Russia you Poland should open at least 11 stations in same 6 years. How many cities except Warsaw have metro? No city? And how many lines has a capital? hardly 2 lines Compare it to Prague. Or Lisboa. Or Stokholm.

Well. you can compare Tehran to Warsaw. Also Moscow has huge network while neither Tehran, neither Warsaw has. It is no need to buld so much stations for Moscow but there is a need to build more roads and 2 level interchanges.

dresdener78 liked this post
Eiropro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2015, 06:03 PM   #3885
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26177

Bad news from Angarsk - tram sections between Zavod Polimerov and Upravleniye Neftekhimkombinata and between Peresecheniye and Zavid Bytovoy Khimiyi stops are closed forever from today, citing low rideship and financial constrains. This means route 10 is ceased and route 5 and 11 became semi-circular routes on Chaykovskogo — Peresechenie — Upravlenie ANKKh — Tekhnikum section. Route 5 became clockwise around section above, route 11 - anticlockwise:
http://liveangarsk.ru/news/20151103/...zhitele?page=3
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 07:34 PM   #3886
dimlys1994

Dzerzhinsk city hall approved closure of its tram network by the end of next week:
https://news.mail.ru/society/24251451/?frommail=1
Old December 12th, 2015, 11:46 PM   #3887
Yak79

Likes (Received): 2184

While several cities around the world have build new tram lines in recent years, are laying them now or plan to equip themselves with one in a foreseeable future, often bitterly regretting they tore up a previous network in the past, a lot of ex-USSR tramways are being carelessly closed down, one after the other, by municipal authorities: something to be really proud of!

It's indeed true that mankind never ever learns from its mistakes, and tends inexorably to repeat them.

-
- Primo Levi, Se questo č un uomo -

dimlys1994, jonasry liked this post
Yak79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2015, 08:59 PM   #3888
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak79 View Post

While several cities around the world have build new tram lines in recent years, are laying them now or plan to equip themselves with one in a foreseeable future, often bitterly regretting they tore up a previous network in the past, a lot of ex-USSR tramways are being carelessly closed down, one after the other, by municipal authorities: something to be really proud of!

It's indeed true that mankind never ever learns from its mistakes, and tends inexorably to repeat them.
If they can't afford to keep it running what do you expect them to do?
Old December 14th, 2015, 10:38 PM   #3889
Yak79

Generally speaking, I doubt that financial issues, though obviously true, are enough to justify all these closures: maybe in some cases lack of funds was actually so severe as to make this drastic step inescapable, but not everywhere in tramway withdrawals that have followed Soviet Union dissolution (16 town networks, ˝ of which in Russia, and a lot of other lines) and that, you bet, will continue in the coming years. Plus, you should consider that money trouble are similar for all the cities across the country, but in several of them they struggle to keep trams operational, and even to restore and renovate their network, while in others the tram system is left behind and then closed.

I read in the quoted article - ok, I Google-translated it, so I may misinterpreted something - that Dzerzhinsk authorities speak about substituting with buses all the current tram routes, in a way that can satisfy the whole transport demand; they need new buses and are thinking about calling on private operators: something that cost a reasonable amount of money, maybe even more than how many is needed to maintain to a minimum repair state the existent tram network.
Then the public transport company chairman affirms that twenty-years-old tramcars have already expired their life cycle time ago, whilst such an age is the barely minimum a rail vehicle can last, a modern one in rich countries like Germany and UK too - where cities can afford even to scrap them still usable -, and around the world there are still in regular service trams older than 80 years. I do understand that later KTM-5 from '80s and '90s aren't truly best quality products, but they're simple and relatively easy/cheap to repair, moreover the operator shelved and withdrew a lot of cars in recent years, so they should be provided by more than enough spare parts.

I'm not sure, and I don't want to judge anyone, but all these matters are exactly the same once used (and abused) to support the end of first generation tram networks in western countries (during the '40s in USA, during the '50s ad '60s in Europe): all for the progress's sake, obviously.

-

dimlys1994, jonasry, historyworks liked this post
Old December 17th, 2015, 07:26 PM   #3890
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5779

Dzerzhinsk is a dilapidated polluted city on the Oka River in Nizhniy Novgorod oblast. Population has dropped from 287,000 in 1990 to 234,000 today. Parts of the city are now uninhabitable.

Keeping this tram going is the least of their concerns.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 07:36 PM   #3891
dimlys1994

New trolleybus for Ulyanovsk - PKTS-6281 "Admiral" (ПКТС-6281 "Адмирал"):
http://transphoto.ru/photo/868920/

BadHatter, troop, yeisson liked this post
Old December 17th, 2015, 11:27 PM   #3892
Yak79

As I clearly stated, I was speaking in general therms about tram network closures, that are almost always seasoned with the same claims: “it's expensive to operate and we can't afford it”, “it's outdated”, “it's worn out and impossible to restore”, “buses fit better our transportation needs”, “it's a hindrance to road circulation”, “is't slow and rigid”, “its overhead wires are visual polluting”, etc.
Maybe in this case the given reasons are true (thought I pointed out their weakness in my previous post), but after having seen the identical lame excuses being used regardless of the circumstances, I became cautious and every time I hear them again, it's like a warning bell would ring in my head.

Besides, I do understand that in Dzerzhinsk's current situation it doesn't make much difference, but I don't think the substitution of trams with polluting diesel buses can be esteemed as a sign that things are going to change anytime soon, or at least that local authorities want them to change (and are pledging for it), whatever the reasons for this choice.

-

jonasry liked this post
Old January 6th, 2016, 04:58 PM   #3893
Ярик1010
BANNED

Well, there are some outdated news about Russian Metro systems. I wanted to post it last year, but I was busy at work back then. So now, during New Year and Christmas holidays, I would like to fill this gap.

November 16, 2015. Samara Metro. The reopening of vestibule of Metro station "Kirovskaya" ("Sergey Kirov") - the only ground-level vestibule in the city.

This vestibule was opened on December 26, 1987 together with first Samara Metro stations and was closed in 2000 due to wear of escalators.

http://samadm.ru/media/news/4501/

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old January 6th, 2016, 05:06 PM   #3894
Ярик1010
BANNED

November 18, 2015. Sankt Peterburg Metro. The construction of "Dunayskaya" ("Danube") station (Purple line).

http://subwaytalks.ru/viewtopic.php?...a7de&start=300

Old January 6th, 2016, 05:07 PM   #3895
Ярик1010
BANNED

November 30, 2015. Sankt Peterburg Metro. The construction of "Prospekt Slavy" ("Glory Avenue") station (Purple line).

http://subwaytalks.ru/viewtopic.php?...a7de&start=600

Old January 6th, 2016, 05:08 PM   #3896
Ярик1010
BANNED

Old January 6th, 2016, 05:08 PM   #3897
Ярик1010
BANNED

Old January 6th, 2016, 05:10 PM   #3898
Ярик1010
BANNED

December 3, 2015. Sankt Peterburg Metro. The start of construction of tunnel between future station "Begovaya" ("Running") and "Primorskaya" ("Maritime") station.

http://subwaytalks.ru/viewtopic.php?...a7de&start=825

dimlys1994, geometarkv liked this post
Old January 6th, 2016, 05:11 PM   #3899
Ярик1010
BANNED

TBM "Nadezhda" ("Herrenknecht")

The length of two-way tunnel will be 5.2 km

http://karpovka.net/2015/11/27/148067/

dimlys1994, geometarkv liked this post