daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 9th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #741
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7094

"BAZHOVSKAYA":

The construction of this station was started in November 1992. It planned to be deep-level tri-vaulted station of pylon type. However, on January 10, 2003 Head of Yekaterinburg decided to stop construction of this station for acceleration of works at the other two stations. On January 13, 2008 was finished construction of the right tunnel between "Geologicheskaya" and "Bazhovskaya" stations.

"CHKALOVSKAYA":

"Chkalovskaya" planned to be deep-level single-vaulted station. Its construction begun in November 1992. In December 1998 was finished construction of the left tunnel from "Geologicheskaya" to "Chkalovskaya" stations. In July 1999, construction works were halted after the strike of Metro builders. The works in 2003-2006 were very slow due to lack of funding. On May 30, 2008 was finished construction of the right tunnel between "Geologicheskaya" and "Botanicheskaya" stations:

Metropts

Gelio-nsk

Link

"BOTANICHESKAYA":

"Botanicheskaya" planned to be shallow tri-vaulted station of column type. Its construction begun on March 27, 2007. On September 5, 2008 was finished construction of the left tunnel between "Chkalovskaya" and "Botanicheskaya" stations. On February 25, 2010 the construction of the right tunnel between "Botanicheskaya" and "Geologicheskaya" stations was begun. It planned to be finish this spring:

Metropts

Umformer

marla13

Rail_Serbia liked this post

Last edited by AlekseyVT; June 15th, 2013 at 05:53 PM.
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #742
AlekseyVT
BANNED

FURTHER DEVELOPMENT - 2013 AND LATER:

After the opening of the stations "Chkalovskaya" and "Botanicheskaya" they plan to start construction of the second line from western to the eastern parts of city. The first section with three stations - "Tatishchevskaya" ("Vasily Tatishchev"), "Uralskikh kommunarov" ("Ural Communards") and "Glavny Prospekt" ("Main Avenue") - planned to be opened in 2018, before the FIFA World Cup 2018 (of course, if Yekaterinburg will be include in the list of the hosting cities) or in the worst case in 2023 (when will be celebrations dedicated to the 300-anniversary of the Yekaterinburg's foundation). They also plan to extend first line on south with the station "Uktusskie Gory" ("Uktus Mountains") and to build third line in the distant future:

Metropts

Old January 10th, 2011, 01:25 AM   #743
WB2010

Likes (Received): 1789

Thanks a lot for your answer - I didn't expect it would be so quick, long and complete
There is one more thing I like about the underground in the Russian cities - every station is different and individually designed. Even if some are ugly, others are very interesting and some are really beautiful
WB2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 01:44 AM   #744
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB2010 View Post
Thanks a lot for your answer - I didn't expect it would be so quick, long and complete
There is one more thing I like about the underground in the Russian cities - every station is different and individually designed. Even if some are ugly, others are very interesting and some are really beautiful
"Ugliness" is a subjective criterion. I'm visited the subways of the some European capitals and major cities (London, Paris, Rome, Madrid, Lisboa, Milano, Porto, Barcelona), and I can say that even the most "ugly" Russian Metro stations look better than 98% of European subway stations.

Old January 10th, 2011, 02:04 AM   #745
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3959

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
"Ugliness" is a subjective criterion. I'm visited the subways of the some European capitals and major cities (London, Paris, Rome, Madrid, Lisboa, Milano, Porto, Barcelona), and I can say that even the most "ugly" Russian Metro stations look better than 98% of European subway stations.
Beautiful stations are more expensive to build than "ugly" but functional stations. I would prefer to have in my city a big but ugly metro system rather than a small but beautiful metro line. Maybe if Russian metro stations weren't so "beautiful", you could have more stations already in service, but that's your choice and Russian politics seem to prefer underground palaces rather than simpler, cheaper but useful metro stations.

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 02:33 AM   #746
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
Beautiful stations are more expensive to build than "ugly" but functional stations.
I'm agreed.

Quote:
I would prefer to have in my city a big but ugly metro system rather than a small but beautiful metro line.
I'm think that residents of the Russian regions will be agree with you.

Quote:
Maybe if Russian metro stations weren't so "beautiful", you could have more stations already in service...
I'm already wrote that the cost of decoration is no more than 2% from cost of the construction. It's mean that if you build 50 Metro stations, it's possible to build one more.

Quote:
...but that's your choice and Russian politics seem to prefer underground palaces rather than simpler, cheaper but useful metro stations.
1) Which politicans to you mean? Putin and Co? I'm very doubt that they use Metro
2) I'm loaded the photos of the last Moscow Metro stations at this page:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...589712&page=94

Where do you see underground palaces at this page? It's look more functional, but very far from being ugly.

3) I'm loaded photos of the stations which were opened this year:

K-Lex

Link

Where do you see palaces among these stations? The first station is not palace, but it's look beautiful for me. You can see at the other projects of the future Kazan Metro stations, Moscow Metro stations, Novosibirsk Metro stations, Yekaterinburg Metro stations. WHERE DO YOU SEE PALACES?

Old January 10th, 2011, 02:48 AM   #747
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3959

Don't take it literally. "Underground palace" is just a way of saying that a subway station is very decorated. Of course new stations don't look like the ones opened in the 30's or the 50's, but it is obvious that a big effort is put on their decoration. New stations are really beautiful, but I just wanted to point out that everything has a cost. I didn't want to sound rude, it was just a comment. Besides this, I want to congratulate you for your job in this post, it is splendid and I hope that this year you continue doing this great task. The amount of updated information you have is impressive.

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 05:03 AM   #748
LarisaCh
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Wow! How many photos at this thread!
LarisaCh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 05:10 AM   #749
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarisaCh View Post
Wow! How many photos at this thread!
Thanks.

Quote:
Don't take it literally. "Underground palace" is just a way of saying that a subway station is very decorated. Of course new stations don't look like the ones opened in the 30's or the 50's, but it is obvious that a big effort is put on their decoration. New stations are really beautiful, but I just wanted to point out that everything has a cost. I didn't want to sound rude, it was just a comment. Besides this, I want to congratulate you for your job in this post, it is splendid and I hope that this year you continue doing this great task. The amount of updated information you have is impressive.
Big thanks Let's come back on the current thread.
Old January 10th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #750
AlekseyVT
BANNED

NIZHNY NOVGOROD METRO

2010 - NEWS:

Since December 28, 2009 the new tokens of Nizhny Novgorod Metro were put into operation. Prior to that, in Nizhny Novgorod Metro were used the similar tokens as in St. Petersburg Metro. But the price of the St. Petersburg Metro tokens was twice as expensive (22 Roubles for St. Petersburg token and 11 Roubles for Nizhny Novgorod token in 2010). Therefore, many residents of Nizhny Novgorod before visiting of St. Petersburg bought a lot of tokens in the own Metro and used it in St. Petersburg. Similarly, many St. Petersburg residents during their visits to Nizhny Novgorod bought tokens and used it in the home city.

To stop it, it was decided to make a holes in the old tokens. The new tokens have become much slighter. Now it's possible to use it only in the turnstiles of Nizhny Novgorod Metro, not in St. Petersburg Metro.

Old tokens:

Link

New token:

arkhangel

Last edited by AlekseyVT; June 15th, 2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old January 10th, 2011, 05:28 AM   #751
AlekseyVT
BANNED

NIZHNY NOVGOROD METRO

FURTHER DEVELOPMENT - 2011-2013:

In the end of 2012 - early 2013 there must be important event for Nizhny Novgorod Metro - the opening of the first station at the rigth bank of the Oka River.

Unlike other Soviet time Metros, Nizhny Novgorod does not feature the traditional triangle layout of three line, six radii intersecting under city centre. This is because of the unusual layout of the city. Nizhny Novgorod is located on the right bank of the Volga River, and at the confluence of the Oka River.

Over the 20th century, the city developed in a polycentric manner. The historical city centre, including the Nizhny Novgorod Kremlin bears most of administrative, cultural and educational functions and is located on the high hilly right bank of the Oka, whilst the low flat left bank hosts city's most industries and some major residential districts grouped around the three centers in Kanavino (where the city's central railway station and the largest urban transport hubs are located), Sormovo (with the largest industry being the "Krasnoye Sormovo" plant) and Avtozavod (GAZ).

Faced with such a physical dislocation, the planners adopted a design that would feature two lines with four radii opened in a series of stages (and each stage in segments). The main hub of the system, the "Moskovskaya" station, located next to Nizhny Novgorod's main railway station, would feature a four track two island platform arrangement offering a cross-platform transfer. The first stage would be Avtozavodskaya Line, following south along the left bank of the Oka, through residential and industrial zones of Leninsky district, the massive GAZ automobile plant and into the Avtozavod residential districts. The second stage would be the Sormovskaya Line which would go from "Moskovskaya" west into the Sormovo districts. The third stage would feature a combined auto and Metro bridge across the Oka taking the "Avtozavodskaya" into the city centre, and the fourth and final stage would be the Sormovskaya passing into the Meshcherskoye Ozero residential area north-west of the Railway station, on the bank of the Volga. All of this would be finished by the late 1990s and the system would be a total of 25 kilometres long with above 20 stations.

The order in which the stages was opened was influenced by the industry-centric flows of passengers of the Soviet period, and the depot placement issue. Cross-river traffic used not to be as intense as it is today. GAZ was not only the dominating employer of the Avtozavodsky district, but also consumed a lot of workforce from the Northern parts of the city. The only suitable plot for the train depot was found near the automobile plant, too.

Whilst the pace of Metro construction in the Soviet Union was impressive, it did not, and could not foresee the events that would happen when the Soviet Union collapsed and how the financial and social implications would make the Nizhny Novgorod Metro a system with a very difficult future. So, when the first stage was completed in 1989, construction began on the second one...and that was the state in which the Nizhny Novgorod Metro embraced the 1990s.

The collapse of the Soviet Union had devastating effects on the economy and people's lives. Aided with a hyperinflation, almost all funding of expansion of Metros, save Moscow and Saint Petersburg was cut. Those segments that did open in the early 1990s were mostly completed already and the bankrupt companies and workers struggled to finish them off. In late 1993 the first two station segment of the Sormovskaya Line was opened in Nizhny Novgorod.

The Nizhny Novgorod Metro has an unusual operation. Formally it consists of two lines and 14 stations. However as "Moskovskaya" is a terminus for both of them, the trains arriving from one line continue into the other. Only two of the four tracks on "Moskovskaya" are in regular use, thus making sense to class it as a single station instead of two.

More than a decade and half later, little has changed for the Nizhny Novgorod Metro and now it faces the grimmest fate of expansion. The biggest problem is that despite being the longest of its "new" Russian Metro rivals (new refers to Novosibirsk, Samara and Yekaterinburg) it has a passenger traffic that is one of the lowest - 26.9 million annual ridership in 2009. For comparison, the passenger traffic of the Novosibirsk Metro is almost in 2.5 times more that this.

The root of this problem is not the layout but the Soviet priorities on stage openings, over the past decade, the new Russian population's social structure greatly changed. Many chose to abandon the factories and, particularly the younger generation, in favour of a career in commerce. For Nizhny Novgorod this had a great effect on the daily transport pattern, where the city centre became a nexus for the region's business. Many agree that it was a grave mistake not to link up the two banks of the Oka river prior to continuing the expansion into the residential districts.

Indeed at present the necessity of the Metro on the right bank is felt, as all the three bridges that connect the land transport routes are over congested. More disturbing is the fear that the first station on the right bank — "Gorkovskaya" would, if opened, not be able to deal with the massive passenger traffic, meaning that the right bank will have to open with several stations. For the other direction of the Metro — Sormovoskaya Line is also a mess. Neither the first segment of the line, nor its one extension to a surface station — "Burevestnik" actually reach Sormovo proper and ends amid an industrial zone. Many commuters thus choose not to use the Metro altogether as they would be forced to switch to land transport anyway.

Thus the only single transport artery that the Metro provides is the Avtozavodskaya Line, which apart from the terminus stations, is known for its very gloomy appearance due to the lighting being mostly off to cut electricity costs. Construction of Metrobridge began in 1992, but its pace has been very slow. The northern extension of the Sormovskaya Line began at the same time when the station pit was dug up for the future "Yarmarka" station, but since it has been disbanded and covered up.

Urbanrail

Old January 10th, 2011, 05:32 AM   #752
AlekseyVT
BANNED

NIZHNY NOVGOROD METROBRIDGE:

The construction of the 1.3 km. combined auto and Metro bridge across the Oka River begun in 1992, but it was stopped in 1995 due to lack of funding. The works were resumed in 2000-2002, but it was slowed again in 2003. Finally, construction was resumed in 2006, and on November 4, 2009 was opened upper tier of the bridge for the autoroad movement. In 2010 was continued construction of the autoways which leads to the bridge. The second stage of these autoways was put into operation on November 4, 2010. The Metro section of the bridge planned to put into operation in the end of 2012 together with the opening of the "Gorkovskaya" station.

November 4, 2009. The speech of Valery Shantsev, the Governor of Nizhny Novgorod Region:

Opening of the autoroad tier:

First transport on the bridge:

Wikipedia

Сергей Марков

Last edited by AlekseyVT; June 15th, 2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old January 10th, 2011, 05:33 AM   #753
AlekseyVT
BANNED

"GORKOVSKAYA":

The distance between station "Moskovskaya" ("Moscow") and future station "Gorkovskaya" ("Maxim Gorky") will be 3.44 km, including 1.23 km. section on the Metrobridge. The station will be named after Russian/Soviet writer Maxim Gorky (1868-1936), who was born in Nizhny Novgorod - the city, which was known as Gorky from 1932 till 1990 in his honour. The station will be built near square and street, which also are named after Maxim Gorky.

"Gorkovskaya" planned to be shallow tri-vaulted station of column type. Its construction begun on July 6, 2008. On September 17, 2009 was finished construction of the right tunnel between Metrobridge and "Gorkovskaya" station. On October 20, 2009 was begun construction of the left tunnel, which was finished on June 17, 2010. The station planned to be open in the end of 2012:

ЁжикНН

Link

Link

Link

Link

helst11

Last edited by AlekseyVT; June 15th, 2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old January 10th, 2011, 05:35 AM   #754
AlekseyVT
BANNED

FURTHER DEVELOPMENT - 2013 AND LATER:

After the opening of the station "Gorkovskaya" two Metro lines will be work in the separate mode. Sormovskaya Line (Line 2) will be extended to the west with two stations - "Varya" and "Sormovskaya":

Urbanrail

Avtozavodskaya Line (Line 1) will be extended to the eastern part. The next stations which planned to be open on the right bank of the Oka River after completion of "Gorkovskaya" are "Operny Teatr" ("Opera Theatre") and "Sennaya Ploshchad" ("Hay Square"). The construction of the Line 3 at the right bank of the Oka River planned to be start in the distant future:

Link

"OPERNY TEATR":

BlackShark

"SENNAYA PLOSHCHAD":

BlackShark

BlackShark

Old January 10th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #755
AlekseyVT
BANNED

SAMARA METRO

NEWS - 2010:

In 2010 they continued to install glass pavilions over the entrances to Metro:

metrovS

metrovS

de_samara

Old January 10th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #756
AlekseyVT
BANNED

FURTHER DEVELOPMENT - 2011-2015:

The most sad situation with Samara Metro building. During 2011-2015 they plan to extend current line on west with one station - "Alabinskaya" ("Peter Alabin"). This station planned to be open in 2012, but it's more possible that its opening will be rescheduled on 2014-2015:

Urbanrail

Last edited by AlekseyVT; June 15th, 2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old January 10th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #757
AlekseyVT
BANNED

"ALABINSKAYA":

The construction of the left tunnel between neighboring station "Rossiyskaya" ("Russian") and "Alabinskaya" station was started on February 21, 2007. The distance between these stations is 1.3 km. The construction of the left tunnel was finished on August 9, 2007. On February 5, 2008 was started construction of the right tunnel which was finished on August 19, 2008. The construction of the station itself was begun on May 21, 2008.

In May 2009 they decided to reduce funding of the Metro building. During the following months the pace of construction works was reduced and the question about conservation of station was discussed:

In the beginning of 2010 the pace of construction works was some increased:

"Alabinskaya" planned to be shallow tri-vaulted station of the column type:

Николай Курлин

avronn

xxela

СД-32

metrovS

Last edited by AlekseyVT; June 15th, 2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old January 10th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #758
AlekseyVT
BANNED

FURTHER DEVELOPMENT - 2016 AND LATER:

After completition of the "Alabinskaya" they plan to extend current line on west with station "Samarskaya" ("Samara"). The distance between "Alabinskaya" and "Samarskaya" stations will be 1534 metres. Later they plan to western extension with the station "Teatralnaya" (Theatre").

At the eastern part of the Metro line they plan to build station "Krylya Sovetov" ("Soviet Wings") near the stadium of the football club with same name. After the completion of the "Krylya Sovetov", ground-level station "Yunkgorodok" ("Junker town"), which now located in the building of the Metro depot, will be closed for passangers:

Urbanrail

Old January 10th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #759
AlekseyVT
BANNED

"SAMARSKAYA":

Samaratrans

Samaratrans

"TEATRALNAYA":

Samaratrans

Samaratrans

"YUNKGORODOK" (1987):

Samaratrans

Samaratrans

"KRYLYA SOVETOV":

Samaratrans

Last edited by AlekseyVT; June 15th, 2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old January 10th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #760
AlekseyVT
BANNED

VOLGOGRAD METROTRAM:

FURTHER DEVELOPMENT - 2011-2012:

The Volgograd Metrotram is a light rail system operating in Volgograd, Russia. It consists of 19 stations on one line, paralleling the Volga River from the northern suburbs of Volgograd to its downtown core for a total length of 13.5 kilometres. Most of the Metrotram line shares a surface-level right of way with a previously constructed railway line for 10.2 kilometres, in a manner similar to that of the south leg of the C-Train system in Calgary, for example; the three downtown stations, on the other hand, were built underground over a total length of 3.3 kilometres, meeting design standards consistent with existing Russian Metro systems:

The Volgograd Metrotram was inaugurated on 5 November 1984, and presently serves 50 million passengers per year. During 26 years of the exploitation there happened only two significant events. In April 2007 Metrotram stop "37th School" was renamed into "14th Gymnasium". On December 29, 2008 was added intermediate stop "TRK Europa City Mall" near the trade store with same name.

In the end of 2011 they plan southern extension of the Metrotram line on 4.2 kilometres with three underground stations - "Profsoyuznaya" ("Labor Unions"), "TYuZ" ("Theatre for Young Spectators") and "Yelshanka". It, however, will be possible only after replacement of the tram carriages on the new models with automatic doors on both sides (the trams are switching from right-hand traffic on left-hand traffic during entry into underground part of the Metrotram system and back):

Urbanrail

Tags
метро, kazan, metro, novosibirsk, samara, st. petersburg, subway, transport