daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 20th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #1701
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian
 
historyworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Shoalhaven
Posts: 3,366
Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Thanks for putting this together, grand work! Its sad thing about St Petersburg tram, which I believe at one point had the largest tram network in the World, although, thankfully, a lot still remains.
St Petersburg still has the highest patronage of any tram system in the world which means it is doing its job very well, which is the most important thing. Melbourne has the largest tram network but only carries less than one half of the passengers of St Petersburg.
__________________
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
historyworks no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2011, 08:35 PM   #1702
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

YEKATERINBURG METRO


gelio-nsk

"Ghost" station "Chkalovskaya" ("Valery Chkalov"):

gelio-nsk

"Chkalovskaya" is a intermediate station at the 4.2-km path "Geologicheskaya"-"Botanicheskaya", which was put into operation on November 28, 2011:

gelio-nsk

Uncompleted escalators. Look at the stairs at right side. According to the present-day standarts, if the length of the underground tunnel between two neighboring stations will be more than 3 km; they must to built emergency exit for evacuation of people from tunnel in case of unexpected situations. When this station will be opened, there will be no necessary in these stairs, because the length of both tunnels ("Geologicheskaya"-"Chkalovskaya" and "Chkalovskaya"-"Botanicheskaya") will be less than 3 km:

gelio-nsk

This deep-level station (depth - 40 m) planned to be opened next spring, after mounting of escalators:

gelio-nsk
__________________

Rail_Serbia liked this post

Last edited by AlekseyVT; December 27th, 2011 at 09:01 PM.
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 08:38 PM   #1703
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

The main theme of decoration is the famous 63-hour flight of Valery Chkalov and his crew from Moscow, Soviet Union to Vancouver, Washington, United States via the North Pole on an Tupolev ANT-25 plane (June 18–20, 1937), a non-stop distance of 8811 kilometres (5475 miles). The flight pioneered the polar air route from Europe to the American Pacific Coast. Chkalov was originally scheduled to land at an airstrip in nearby Portland, Oregon, but redirected at the last minute to Vancouver's Pearson Airfield. Today there is a street named for him in Vancouver. In 1975 an obelisk was erected at Pearson Field commemorating this event:

gelio-nsk

URSS N025 is a board number, on which flew Valery Chkalov by the route Moscow-North Pole-United States:

gelio-nsk

In the end of central hall will be installed four decorative clocks in the style of on-board instrumentation, which indicating standard time in Moscow, Arkhangelsk, Vancouver and Washington:

gelio-nsk

This is single-vaulted station with three floors - passenger hall and two technical floors (above and below the platform):

gelio-nsk
__________________

Rail_Serbia liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 11:03 PM   #1704
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER
 
Woonsocket54's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: East Millinocket, Maine
Posts: 5,660
Likes (Received): 5780

is there a reason for Arkhangelsk time? It's the same time as in the capital, right?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #1705
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
is there a reason for Arkhangelsk time?
Because Chkalov flew through Arkhangelsk on its route. Arkhangelsk is a major northern port on White Sea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
It's the same time as in the capital, right?
Right.
__________________

Rail_Serbia liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 11:14 PM   #1706
YaWW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 84
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
The main theme of decoration is the famous 63-hour flight of Valery Chkalov and his crew from Moscow, Soviet Union to Vancouver, Washington, United States via the North Pole on an Tupolev ANT-25 plane (June 18–20, 1937), a non-stop distance of 8811 kilometres (5475 miles). The flight pioneered the polar air route from Europe to the American Pacific Coast. Chkalov was originally scheduled to land at an airstrip in nearby Portland, Oregon, but redirected at the last minute to Vancouver's Pearson Airfield. Today there is a street named for him in Vancouver. In 1975 an obelisk was erected at Pearson Field commemorating this event:

gelio-nsk

URSS N025 is a board number, on which flew Valery Chkalov by the route Moscow-North Pole-United States:

gelio-nsk

In the end of central hall will be installed four decorative clocks in the style of on-board instrumentation, which indicating standard time in Moscow, Arkhangelsk, Vancouver and Washington:

gelio-nsk

This is single-vaulted station with three floors - passenger hall and two technical floors (above and below the platform):

gelio-nsk
Amazing station!! It's almost like steampunk design, of course not exactly as Obvodny Kanal in Saint Petersburg, but very cool looking! Romantics only oldtimers would remember!
__________________

Rail_Serbia liked this post
YaWW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 11:08 PM   #1707
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

28) March 26, 1908 - Warsaw, Poland;
29) October 18, 1908 - Saratov:


Early history

Saratov is a major city in southern Russia. It is the administrative center of Saratov Region and a major port on the Volga River. In addition to ethnic Russians, the city also has many Tatar, Ukrainian, Jewish, and German residents.

Saratov is in a location which has long been inhabited by successive cultures. Historians generally consider Ukek, a medieval outpost of the Golden Horde, as the likely ancestor to today's Saratov. According to legend, Gelonus, a Scythian city that was the northernmost colony of the Greeks, was thought to have been sited near the present-day city. Gelonus is mentioned in the Sixth Book of the "Histories" of Herodotus, according to which the city was burnt to the ground by the Persian Emperor Darius in 512 B.C.

The modern city traces its history to the reign of Russian Tsar Feodor I, who constructed several settlements along the Volga River in order to secure the southeastern boundary of his state. During the summer of 1586, the fortress of Samara was founded, followed by Tsaritsyn (now Volgograd) in 1589 and finally Saratov, located midway between Samara and Tsaritsyn. Saratov was founded on July 12, 1590 at the insistence of Count Grigory Zasekin. All three forts were located in a region where the Volga and the Don flow nearest one another, which allowed the Russia to secure both rivers and to ensure control over the recently annexed khanates of Kazan (1552) and Astrakhan (1556) in the years following the Livonian War of 1558-1583.

The future town's buildings were first constructed in the upper reaches of the Volga, a full year prior to the in situ foundation of Saratov. In the spring of 1590, workers disassembled the constructions, marked each log, and delivered the "town" to its destination via the river. This method allowed the buildings to be rapidly erected in just a few weeks. The name Saratov may derive from the Turkic words "Saryk Atov", which mean "hawks' island". Another version of the name origin is "Sary Tau", meaning "yellow mountain" in the Tatar language. There are sandy hills around the city. In 1708 Saratov was included into Kazan Governorate, in 1718 - into Astrakhan Governorate, in 1728 - again into Kazan Governorate, in 1739 - again into Astrakhan Governorate. Finally, in 1780 the city became centre of new-founded Saratov Governorate.

Saratov is an important city in the history of the Volga Germans. Until 1941, the town of Pokrovsk, today Engels, located just across the Volga from Saratov, served as the capital of the Volga German Republic. The ethnic German population of the region numbered 800.000 in the early 20th century, with some people whose families had been there for generations. The Russian Emperors had invited German immigration in the 18th and 19th centuries to encourage agricultural development in the area. The Volga German community came to include industrialists, scientists, musicians and architects, including those who built Saratov's universities and conservatories. The one of the central streets of Saratov was named German street.

By the 1800s, Saratov had grown to be an important shipping port on the Volga. It became centre of salt and fish trading in late-18th century and grain trading in 19th century. There were opened public school (1786), printing house (1794), Assembly of the Nobility (1807), theatre (1810), Guest Court (1811), gymnasium (1820), Alexander Nevsky Cathedral (1825), Transfiguration Cathedral (1826), theological seminary (1830), parish school and public library (1831), new building of City Council (1844), newspaper (1844), water-conduit (1844) and Municipal public bank (1863).

The Ryazan-Ural Railroad reached Saratov on July 16, 1871, after completion of Tambov-Saratov railway. It led to the rapid growth of industry in the city. Together with Nizhny Novgorod and Samara, Saratov became one of the largest Russian centres of grain trading and milling industry. In second half of 19th century there were built steam mills. As result, Saratov became most largest producer of flour in Russian Empire. The other significant industry in the city was vegetable oil industry. In 1900 in Moscow was built Saratov Rail Terminal (now Paveletsky Rail Terminal) for serving of Ryazan-Ural Railroad.

In 1876 Nikitin brothers built Saratov Circus. It was second permanent circus in Russian Empire after Penza State Circus (1873), which was also built by Nikitin brothers. On July 11, 1885 was opened first public museum in Saratov, which supposed to have been Russia's first major public art museum outside Moscow or St. Petersburg. In 1909 was founded Imperial Nicholas Saratov University, which became eleventh university in Russian Empire after Imperial University of Yuryev in Tartu (1632), Imperial Alexander University of Finland in Helsinki (1640), St. Petersburg Imperial University (1724), Moscow Imperial University (1755), Kazan Imperial University (1804), Kharkiv Imperial University (1804), Imperial University of Warsaw (1816), Saint Vladimir Imperial University of Kyiv (1834), Imperial Novorossiya University of Odessa (1865), and Imperial Siberian University in Tomsk (1878). In 1912 was founded Saratov Conservatory, the first provincial conservatory to be founded in Russia, after St. Petersburg Conservatory (1862) and Moscow Conservatory (1866).

In mid-19th century Saratov was one of the largest cities of Volga Region. The population of the city was 114.9 thousands people in 1880. In 1893 there were about 120 thousands residents, about 8 thousand students and 69 schools, 138 factories and plants, 16933 buildings, 9 periodicals (including 5 newspapers), museum, water-conduit, opera and drama theatres, public library, etc.

In late-1880s there was built horse-drawn tram network in Saratov, ninth in Russian Empire after St. Petersburg (1863), Warsaw (1866), Moscow (1872), Kazan (1875), Odessa (1880), Riga (1882), Kharkiv (1882) and Tbilisi (1883). On January 6, 1886 was signed contract between city authorities and enterpreneur Leonid Blummer on construction of horse-drawn tramline. According to the contract with the city authorities, Blummer received exclusive rights to develop and operate horse-tram network in Saratov for 40 years, after which he obliged to return the whole system to the city goverment. Horse-drawn tram transportation was taxed – annual contributions to the city treasury were to be 1000 rubles during the first decade, 1500 rubles during second decade, 2000 rubles - during third and 2500 rubles during the last decade.

Testing trip has been made along Moscow street on April 13, 1887. On May 13, 1887 the horse-tram lines (gauge - 1524 mm) were put into operation. Initially there were two lines - from Rail Terminal along Moscow street to the Old Cathedral Square (now Museum Square) and from Moscow street along Alexander street (now Maxim Gorky street) to the Big St. Sergius street (now Chernyshevsky street). The tram worked from 7:00am till 10:00pm. Time intervals were 10 minutes. Travel prices were 5 kopecks or 0.05 rubles (first-class) and 3 kopecks or 0.03 rubles (second-class).

Later were opened other five lines:
3) from St. Elijah Square along St. Elijah street (now Chapayev street) to the Big Mountain street;
4) from Moscow street along Astrakhan street to the Mercantile rail station (now station Saratov II);
5-6) from Moscow street along Nicholas street (now Radishchev street) to the Konstantinov street (now Soviet street) and later along Konstantinov street to the People Theatre (now Saratov Drama Theater named after Ivan Slonov);
7) along Big Mountain street.

In 1888 founder and owner of the horse-drawn tram Leonid Blummer died. The whole enterprise was transferred to the balance of the joint stock company. Its fund was 900.000 rubles. The cost of transporting of each passenger varied from 3.44 to 4.08 kopecks. Daily receipt of controller varied from 290 to 412 rubles. In 1888 there were 4 lines with total lenght 17.4 km, serving by 25 cars and 109 horses (later - by 69 cars and 306 horses). There were one-floor tramcars (without "imperial") with capacity 20 seats. Tramcar was run by one horse. At the most difficult parts one more (second) horse was fastened to the harness. Central horse-tram depot was located at Moscow Square.

After Blummer's death, horse-drawn trams successfully worked in Saratov during next 20 years. In 1893 horse-trams carried 2.579.500 passangers, in 1896 - 3.452.000, in 1900 - 5.473.000.

Scheme of horse-drawn tram routes in 1887:
Red line 1: Rail Terminal - Old Cathedral Square (now Museum Square);
Blue line 2: Old Cathedral Square (now Museum Square) - Alexander street (now Maxim Gorky street):

Zatwornik

Scheme of horse-drawn tram routes in 1905:
Red line: Rail Terminal - Old Cathedral Square (now Museum Square);
Blue line: Old Cathedral Square (now Museum Square) - St. Elijah Square;
Purple line: St. Elijah Square - Big Mountain street;
Orange line: Moscow street - Mercantile rail station (now station Saratov II);
Green line: Moscow street - Poltava Square (Children Park);
Grey line: Resurrection Cemetery - Salt Square (Backwater):

Zatwornik

Horse-drawn tramcar near Saratov Rail Terminal:

omnibus


omnibus


Link

1900s, horse-drawn tram near Cathedral Square (now Chernyshevsky Square):

sarmetro
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #1708
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

Electric tram network

According to Russian Imperial Census of 1897, Saratov was 12th most populous city in Russian Empire after St. Petersburg, Moscow, Warsaw, Odessa, Łódź, Riga, Kyiv, Kharkiv, Tbilisi, Toshkent and Vilnius. Therefore, it was third most populous city in present-day Russia. Population of Saratov was 137.1 thousands people, that was more than in the other Volga cities - Kazan (130 thousands), Astrakhan (112.9 thousands), Nizhny Novgorod (90.1 thousands), Samara (90 thousands), Yaroslavl (71.6 thousands), Tsaritsyn (55.2 thousands), Tver (54 thousands), etc. This number increased to 196.7 thousands people in 1906 and 231.8 thousands people in 1916. For this reason, Saratov was known as "capital of Volga Region". However, by late-1900s electric tram successfully operated almost in all major Volga cities, except Samara and Tsaritsyn (now Volgograd). Therefore, "capital of Volga Region" could not remain without it for long time.

The beginning of 20th century was golden time for welfare and rapid growth of Russian industry. One after another Russian cities lost its patriarchal rural view and turned in the "centres of growth". The one of main stages of development for Russian regional cities became electrification, which also led to rapid development of urban electric railways. At these times urban electrification was complex issue, and electrification of horse-drawn tram network became logical stage in formation of a citywide power system.

The first steps for electrification of city were made in late-1880s. The first demonstration of electric light was been in 1887 in the building of Commercial Assembly (now House of Officers). It were three electric carbon arc lamps, so-called "Yablochkov candles" (this type of lamps was invented by Pavel Yablochkov, who was born in Saratov Governorate). The first electric equipment was installed in 1890 at Schmidt mill. In 1898 electric setting (25 kW) was been installed in city theatre. The other setting (60 kW) was installed at Alexander vocational school. It produced energy for electric lighting of the several shops at German street (now Kirov Avenue). However, new century demanded more radical changes instead of old pace of development.

On February 11, 1902 city authorities published information about invitation of enterpreneurs for construction of Central power station for producing of energy for industrial enterprises, electric lighting and urban tram network. In the contest took part 13 foreign companies, so members of City Council were not able to made final choice for long time. Finally, on April 28, 1905 city officials signed contract with Belgian joint stock company "Mutual Company of trams". Electric tram was perceived as logical development of horse-drawn tram. It's not surprised that first electric tram routes were at the same streets, at which were former routes of horse-drawn tram. In some other cities (for example, in Samara) it was very hardly to do it due to strong rivalry between those old and new kinds of transport. Fortunately, there were no such problems in Saratov, and horse-drawn tram was replaced with electric practically without any resistance. Of course, it was necessary to re-equip tram network due to greater weight of electric tramcars and other differences.

On March 30, 1907 "Mutual Company of trams" presented own project for construction of electric tram network and electric lighting. Next day horse-drawn tram has been transferred to the ownership of Belgian joint stock company. On April 6, 1907 was started strike of horse-tram workers, who were unhappy with the new owners. This strike continued during 1.5 months till May 24. On May 31, 1907 City Council finally approved project of Belgian company. According to this project, they planned to built 9 electric tramlines.

In August 1907 at the crossing of Astrakhan street and Big Cossack street began construction of diesel power station of direct current. Its capacity was 2.35 MW. Therefore, this station was able to produce electricity not only for tram network and street lighting, but also for enterprises and private persons. It was completed in 1908.

The laying of electric tramlines began in August 1906 at St. Elijah street (now Chapayev street). The testing trip at this street was been made on October 14, 1908. On October 18 was held official opening ceremony with participation of city authorities and representatives of Belgian company. The first route was from Rail Terminal to the Volga piers. In this day occurred incident, which could lead to end of the development of the tram network. Due to technical problems in the electric network (ignition of the fuse), tramcar with official persons became uncontrolled. It rolled down by the slope towards the Volga River and only due to miracle was not derailed at the crossing to Millionnaya street (now Cosmonauts Embankment). However, all ended well. Despite of this incident, tram network was put into operation next day, at 3:00pm (there was running-in of tramcars at the morning). Before October 22, 1908 tramcars operated only at the path from Rail Terminal to the Police street (now October street), but later whole route was fully put into operation. The first route was been: Rail Terminal - Moscow street - Astrakhan street - Michael street (now Vavilov street) - German street (now Kirov Avenue) - Garden "Linden trees" - Armenian street (now Volga street) - Police street (now October street) - Millionnaya street (now Cosmonauts Embankment). On October 23, 1908 City Council made offical act about opening of Saratov Tram.

On November 12, 1908 was opened second route, which repeated the route of horse-drawn tram from Rail Terminal along Moscow street to the Old Cathedral Square (now Museum Square). On December 24, 1908 was opened third route: Trade Square (now Theatre Square) - Moscow street - St. Elijah street (now Chapayev street) - St. Elijah Square - Big St. Sergius street (now Chernyshevsky street) - Soldier Settlement. This route was also been built instead of former horse-drawn tram route.

On July 8, 1909 was opened fourth route - from Moscow street to the to the Mercantile rail station (now station Saratov II); along the Nicholas street (now Radishchev street), Konstantinov street (now Soviet street) and Astrakhan street. Fourth route was also been built instead of former horse-drawn tram route. During next four months were opened rest five routes, and by November 1909 there were nine tramlines, as it was planned. Those tramlines were two-tracks with 1524-mm gauge.

By 1910, there were nine tramlines:
1) 1st Mountain Line:
Astrakhan street - Big Mountain street - Nicholas street (now Radishchev street) - Regional Court at Moscow street;
2) 2nd Mountain Line: Salt Square - Big Backwater street - Big Mountain street - Alexander street (now Maxim Gorky street) - Moscow street;
3) Moscow Line: Rail Terminal - Moscow street - Old Cathedral Square (now Museum Square) - Chapel Climb (now Chelyuskintsy street) - Volga piers;
4) Konstantinov Line: Moscow street - Nicholas street (now Radishchev street) - Konstantinov street (now Soviet street) - Poltava Square (now Children Park) - Astrakhan street - Mercantile rail station (now station Saratov II);
5) Alexander Line: Moscow street - Alexander street (now Maxim Gorky street) - Small St. Sergius street (now Michurin street) - Volsk street - Bakhmetev street - Kamyshin street (now Rakhov street) - Mulberry street - Gendarmerie street (now Kholzunov street) - Alexander Hospital;
6) St. Elijah Line: Upper Market - Moscow street - St. Elijah street (now Chapayev street) - St. Elijah Square - Sad street (now Serov street) - 2nd Garden street - Big St. Sergius street (now Chernyshevsky street) - Kazan Church in the Soldier Settlement;
7) German Line: Babushkin Climb - Volga Embankment - Police Climb - Police street (now October street) - Armenian street (now Volga street) - Garden "Linden trees" - German street (now Kirov Avenue) - St. Mitrofan Square (now Kirov Square) - Michael street (now Vavilov street) - Astrakhan street - Moscow street - Rail Terminal (Rail Terminal was terminus stop of this line during every season. From the other end, terminus stop was Volga Embankment near Babushkin Climb during the river navigation; and corner of Police street (now October street) and Big St. Sergius street (now Chernyshevsky street) during rest of time);
8) St. Sergius Line: Moscow street - Big St. Sergius street (now Chernyshevsky street) - White Clay street - St. Elijah street (now Chapayev street) - St. Elijah Square;
9) Astrakhan (cemetery) Line: Moscow street - Astrakhan street - Resurrection cemetery.

The department of Saratov Tram was located at Moscow street. Originally in the tram depot were 55 wooden motor tramcars. During 1908-1911 Belgian "Ragheno" plant and "Mykolaiv Shipbuilding, Mechanical and Iron Works" (Ukraine) built 65 motor tramcars for Saratov Tram. In 1912 in the workshops of Saratov Tram were built four more motor tramcars according to the same drafts. Tramcars were painted into green and red colors. The speed of tramcars within city centre was 12.8-16.0 km/h and 21.3 km/h outside the centre. All routes were divided on 1-2 sections. Travel prices within one section were 5 kopecks or 0.05 rubles (first-class) and 3 kopecks or 0.03 rubles (second-class). For the trip by two sections it was need to pay two more kopecks (second-class). After 10:00pm travel prices increased in two times at all routes, except route near Theatre (at which travel prices increased in two times since 12:00 midnight).

The total length of tramlines was 35.2 km. Tram became popular kind of transport. Annual traffic was 11.011.702 passengers in 1909. The maximal daily profit was 1500-1600 rubles per day. The profit from tram exploitation was 414.318 rubles in 1909. Tram was used not only for daily business trips, but also for suburban trips in the weekends. The part of city culture became Cottage Line. This single-track line was built within two stages in 1910, after completion of the construction of nine planned tramlines. On June 18 was opened tramline from the Tram Terminal, which was built at the crossing of Moscow street and Astrakhan street, to the Trofimovsky Siding (5th Cottage street). On August 11 it was extended from Trofimovsky Siding to the 11th Cottage street (Kumis Valley). The full route was: Tram Terminal - Astrakhan street - Resurrection cemetery - "Strelka" stop - Moscow Route (now 50 Years of October Avenue) - Trofimovsky Siding (5th Cottage street) - siding between 8th and 9th Cottage streets - 11th Cottage street (Kumis Valley).

Kumis Valley became known in 19th century. Local Tatars used this place for walking of horses. Tatars sold kumis (fermented dairy product traditionally made from mare's milk), which became popular among local residents. In late-19th century Kumis Valley became popular place for resort and construction of summer cottages. There was used two-cars tram at the path from city centre to the siding between 8th and 9th Cottage streets. The line to Kumis Valley was been at the hill with big slope. The power of tramcar was not enough for transportation of trailer at this path. For this reason, they unhooked trailer at the stop between 8th and 9th Cottage streets and continued trip to Kumis Valley in the one-car tram. This trailer was fastened to motor tramcar on the way back. Cottage Line operated during summer seasons, from May 1 till September 1.

After few years since opening of electric tram appeared serious claims to the Belgian owners. In particular, there was appeal to the Senate and the judical trial for tax evasion. After beginning of WWI, condition of tram equipment deteriorated significantly. Due to problems of military times, Belgians refused to invest money in own company. There were no enough spare parts to repair worn-out tramcars. Almost half of men population of the city was mobilized on the front, and there were many tram workers among them. After February Revolution of 1917, tram enterprise became to face with much more problems. Since August 20, 1917 number of daily operating tramcars decreased in two times - since 69 to 22-34 tramcars. During November 9-11, 1917, Bolsheviks took power in the city. By January 1918 producing of energy decreased in two times comparing to 1913. There were exploited only 10 of 69 motor tramcars, 7 of 18 trailers and 12 of 20 tramcars for cargo transportation.

On January 31, 1918 was held meeting of workers of electric tram and electric lighting. As result, they adopted a resolution, in which they asked city authorities to do sequestration of tram enterprise. Otherwise, they threatened to go on strike since 6:00am, February 2. On February 1, 1918, at the Meeting of Executive Committee of Council of City Commissars, it was decided about confiscation of power station, workshop, rolling stock and tram equipment. All it was transferred to the property of city authorities on February 2. Since February 4 were introduced new travel prices - 15 kopecks for any trip (second class was cancelled) and 10 kopecks for soldiers. The trip by Cottage Line was twice as expensive. On February 22, 1918 Alexey Zolin became the Commissar of Saratov Tramway. His first steps were successful - the profit from tram exploitation became to increase. However, due to lack of fuel tram enterprise fell into crisis situation. Very soon kumis enterprise and unique forest sanatorium were ceased to exist. Therefore, exploitation of Cottage Line became senselessly, and this line was closed. Since August 20, 1918 was cancelled tram operation during nights. Since February 9, 1919 working time of tram operation was reduced even more. Since July 1919 tram operation was suspended, tramcars were used only for cargo transportation during following two years. It was necessary for saving of tram equipment and administrative personnel.

Share of the Belgian "Mutual Company of trams":

le-onora


le-onora


sarmetro

Scheme of electric tram routes in 1910:

Link
CLICKABLE
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 11:10 PM   #1709
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1st Mountain Line:

CLICKABLE

2nd Mountain Line:

CLICKABLE

Moscow Line:

CLICKABLE

Konstantinov Line:

CLICKABLE

Alexander Line:

CLICKABLE

St. Elijah Line:

CLICKABLE

German Line:

CLICKABLE

St. Sergius Line:

CLICKABLE

Astrakhan (cemetery) Line:

CLICKABLE

Cottage Line:

CLICKABLE

The route of Cottage Line:

Zatwornik
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #1710
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1910s, general view of Saratov:

old-saratov

Tram ticket for the trip by St. Elijah Line (3 kopecks; second-class):

Zatwornik

1911. Saratov tramcar (made at Belgian "Ragheno" plant):

Ааре Оландер

October 18, 1908. The crash of first tramcar at Moscow street on the opening day:

sarmetro
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #1711
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1910s. Tramcar at Moscow street near Imperial Nicholas Saratov University (now Saratov State University named after Nikolay Chernyshevsky):

DJHool

1910s, St. Mitrofan Square (now Kirov Square). Beginning of Michael street (now Vavilov street):

le-onora

1910s, St. Elijah street (now Chapayev street):

sarmetro
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 11:14 PM   #1712
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1910s, crossing of German street (now Kirov Avenue) and Alexander street (now Maxim Gorky street). Hotels "Russia" (left) and "Europe" (right):

sartram

1910s, Hotel "Russia" at the crossing of German street (now Kirov Avenue) and Alexander street (now Maxim Gorky street):

old-saratov

"Before Christmas". Modern picture of Vyacheslav Kurseev:

artnow

1910s, crossing of German street (now Kirov Avenue) and Alexander street (now Maxim Gorky street):

old-saratov

1910s, general view of German street (now Kirov Avenue):

lien

1910s, German street (now Kirov Avenue):

old-saratov

1910s, German street (now Kirov Avenue):

СТТС

1910s, German street (now Kirov Avenue):

sarmetro

1910s, German street (now Kirov Avenue):

sarmetro
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #1713
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1910s, crossing of German street (now Kirov Avenue) and Nicholas street (now Radishchev street):

sartram

1910s, State Bank at Nicholas street (now Radishchev street):

sarmetro

1910s, Medical School at the crossing of Nicholas street (now Radishchev street) and Big St. Sergius street (now Chernyshevsky street):

sarrest

1910s, Nicholas street (now Radishchev street):

katanay
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #1714
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1913, German street (now Kirov Avenue) near Saratov Conservatory:

sarmetro

"Saratov Conservatory". Modern picture of Vyacheslav Kurseev:

Link

1910s, Saratov Conservatory at German street (now Kirov Avenue):

sarmetro
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #1715
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1910s, Cathedral Square (now Chernyshevsky Square):

sarmetro

March 4, 1911. Solemn opening of the monument to Russian Emperor Alexander II (1818-1881) at the Cathedral Square (now Chernyshevsky Square), dedicated to the 50-anniversary of liquidation of the serf dependence in Russian Empire:

old-saratov

1910s, Cathedral Square (now Chernyshevsky Square). Alexander Nevsky Cathedral and Monument to Alexander II:

sarmetro

1910s. Tramcar at Nicholas street (now Radishchev street):

sarmetro
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #1716
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

Georgy Sviridov - "Snowstorm" (Happy New Year ):


1909, Armenian street (now Volga street). Church of the Icon "Soothe my sadness" and Garden "Linden trees":

KOSIAK

1910s, Lutheran Church at the crossing of Nicholas street (now Radishchev street) and Armenian street (now Volga street):

sarmetro
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 11:20 PM   #1717
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1910s, crossing of Alexander street (now Maxim Gorky street) and Moscow street:

old-saratov

1910s, Alexander street (now Maxim Gorky street). Female Gymnasium of Maria Horenburg-Ostrovskaya:

old-saratov

1910s, Hotel "Bristol" at the crossing of Alexander street (now Maxim Gorky street) and Small Cossack street (now Yablochkov street). Here was died Pavel Yablochkov (1847-1894), the inventor of the "Yablochkov candle" (a type of electric carbon arc lamp):

sarrest

1910s, Alexander street (now Maxim Gorky street) near Moscow street:

sarmetro

1910s, Alexander street (now Maxim Gorky street) near Moscow street:

sarmetro
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #1718
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1910s. Tramcars at the crossing of Armenian street (now Volga street) and Gymnasium street (now Nekrasov street):

СТТС

Modern picture. Crossing of Armenian street (now Volga street) and Gymnasium street (now Nekrasov street):

Диман из КТМ-5

1910s, Medvedev Gynaecological Clinic at Armenian street (now Volga street):

sarrest

1910s, Schmidt Mansion (now House of Goverment) at Armenian street (now Volga street):

lien
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #1719
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1910s. Tramcar going from Saratov Rail Terminal to the Moscow street:

sarmetro

1910s, Moscow street. New Barracks of Province Battalion:

old-saratov

1910s, 2nd Male Gymnasium at Moscow street:

old-saratov

1910s, Moscow street:

sarmetro

1910s, Azov-Don Bank (right) at Moscow street:

sarmetro
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #1720
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1910s, crossing of Moscow street and Alexander street (now Maxim Gorky street). View to the side of Rail Terminal:

sarmetro

1910s, crossing of Moscow street and Alexander street (now Maxim Gorky street). View to the side of Rail Terminal:

sarmetro

1910s, crossing of Moscow street and Alexander street (now Maxim Gorky street). "Grand Moscow" Hotel:

sarmetro

1910s, Exchange (left) at Moscow street:

le-onora

1910s, crossing of Moscow street and Nicholas street (now Radishchev street):

sarmetro

1910s, crossing of Moscow street and Nicholas street (now Radishchev street). View to the side of Volga River:

sarmetro

1910s, crossing of Moscow street and Nicholas street (now Radishchev street):

sarmetro
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
метро, kazan, metro, novosibirsk, samara, st. petersburg, subway, transport

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium