daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 12th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #1881
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Any plans for renovating Pionerskaya?
Perhaps, such plans are exist. But nobody has talked about this
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2012, 01:27 AM   #1882
dwdwone
Subway Dave
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 569
Likes (Received): 39

Is there an above ground section, or is that picture just the rolling stock being transported ?
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 07:51 AM   #1883
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER
 
Woonsocket54's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: East Millinocket, Maine
Posts: 5,660
Likes (Received): 5780

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
Is there an above ground section, or is that picture just the rolling stock being transported ?


If you're referring to this photo, then this is definitely showing rolling stock in transit (notice lack of third rail). Nizhny Novgorod and Yekaterinburg are the only all-underground metros in Russia.
__________________

geometarkv liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #1884
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
If you're referring to this photo, then this is definitely showing rolling stock in transit (notice lack of third rail).
You are right. These are new wagons at the Yekaterinburg rail station "Kalinovka". Russian Metro trains are powered by third rail. For this reason, they can’t run by itself at the Russian Railways. The only possibility of transporting of Russian Metro trains to another city - to use them as trailers. After arriving in the city by rail, they were transported to the Metro depot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Nizhny Novgorod and Yekaterinburg are the only all-underground metros in Russia.
Not quite so. Yekaterinburg Metro is really all-underground (see the first video at this page). But there is ground-level Metro station "Burevestnik" ("Storm Petrel") in Nizhny Novgorod (I visited this station last year ), and they have real plans to build another two ground-level stations in near future (instead of the existing rail line). I'll write about Nizhny Novgorod Metro in detail next week.
__________________

Rail_Serbia, geometarkv liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #1885
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

NOVOSIBIRSK METRO

2011 - THE MOST SIGNIFICANT EVENTS:

The most significant event of last year was reopening of "Zolotaya Niva" - 13th station of Novosibirsk Metro. This station was opened on October 7, 2010, but was closed just after 19 days due to lack of official permission from "Rostekhnadzor" (Federal Service for Ecological, Technological and Nuclear Supervision). In the beginning of last year all problems were solved, and the station was reopened on February 9, 2011.


Urbanrail

"ZOLOTAYA NIVA":

"Zolotaya Niva" ("Golden Field") is a eastern terminus station of the Dzerzhinskaya Line 2 of Novosibirsk Metro, in the Dzerzhinsky and Oktyabrsky Districts. It is Russia's most eastern Metro station. "Zolotaya Niva" will be have two vestibule and six exits. However, currently is opened only vestibule №2 with two exits, which located near the Fedoseyev street and Adrien Lejeune street. Some later will be opened vestibule №1 with four exits, which will be located at the intersection of Boris Bogatkov street and Koshurnikov street.

The station got its name, because in Soviet times there were large bakery shop and transport stop with name "Magazin Zolotaya Niva" ("Golden Field" Shop). After Soviet collapse bakery shop ceased to exist, but the name of stop didn't changed. Since 1980s future Metro station had project name "Gusinobrodskaya", but in September 2004 it was renamed into "Zolotaya Niva". Currently there is also living massive with same name on the border of Dzerzhinsky and Oktyabrsky Districts.

The construction of this station was planned in 1980s. The construction of the 4.1-km segment "Sibirskaya" - "Zolotaya Niva" with three new stations was started in 1991, but it was stopped due to lack of funding in mid-1990s. On December 28, 2000 was opened station "Marshala Pokryshkina" ("Marshal Pokryshkin"); on June 25, 2005 - "Beryozovaya Roshcha" ("Birch Grove"). The construction works at "Zolotaya Niva" station were resumed in May 2007, after the opening of the neighboring station "Beryozovaya Roshcha". The lenght between this stations is 1.71 km.

According to the project of 1990, "Zolotaya Niva" should to be built with two side platforms. In 2007, due to saving of money, it was proposed to built this station with automated doors like at the stations of "horizontal lift" type in St. Petersburg Metro. But in 2009 was chosen current type - shallow two-vaulted station of column type.

The works at the construction site began in 1993. The construction of the tunnels between "Zolotaya Niva" and "Beryozovaya Roshcha" stations were started in 1994, but it was stopped in 1998 due to lack of funding. Here were dug only 44 meters of left tunnel and 7 meters - right. In 2007 was declared tender for construction of tunnel, which was won by JSC "Bamtonnelstroy" (Krasnoyarsk). By mid-2007, they dug 240 meters of tunnel with old Soviet TBM, which was built in 1960s. They planned to finish this tunnel with modern TBM "Lovat". But in October 2007, due to delays in payment for the work, JSC "Bamtonnelstroy" decided to stop works in Novosibirsk and pick up TBM "Lovat". Then Mayority of Novosiborsk decided to continue construction with new local prime contractor and old Soviet TBMs without using of the means of mechanization of works. The construction of the tunnel resumed in May 2008. The last 100 meters of the tunnel were built with using cut and cover method due to high level of the groundwaters. The construction of tunnel was finished on June 12, 2010.

According to the plans, station was opened with the one tunnel and one vestibule with two exits. They had plans to build second tunnel and other vestibule with four exits in 2011. Originally station was planned to be open on June 27, 2010 to the 117-anniversary of the foundation of Novosibirsk. However it was rescheduled on October 7, on the Vladimir Putin's birthday. This fact was used by the leading party "United Russia" for own agitation on the eve of regional elections, which were held on October 10.

However, later it was discovered that the inspectors of the "Rostekhnadzor" (Federal Service for Ecological, Technological and Nuclear Supervision) given permission only to the operation of the power system of the station, but not for its opening for passengers. Inspectors went to the court, and on October 25, the judge decided to stop work of station for 30 days to correct deficiencies. However, the station was closed till February 2011.

On November 29, it was announced that happened strain of the tunnel in an area with high level of groundwaters. The using of obsolete Soviet TBMs impacted on the quality of works. On next day Mayor of Novosibirsk accepted the resignation of Nikolay Hvan, the chief of "Metrobuilding", and on December 5 Hvan officially ceased its powers. This scandal story led to the great dissatisfaction among residents and few non-numerous demonstrations near the station. It was announced that at the 200-m tunnel section was discovered the deformation of the tunnel rings. In January it was announced that these damage is not so critical, and the problems basically have judical character. On February 9, 2011 "Rostekhnadzor" gave permission, and the station was reopened for passengers.

"Zolotaya Niva" is a shallow two-vaulted station of the column type. There are 26 cylindrical columns (intervals - 4 m) along the axis of station. The main finishing material for the station is aluminum. The floor of station and lower parts of the columns are faced with granite. The column orders are faced with metalic panels of yellow and brown colors. The columns are decorated with metalic inserts which symbolize the ears of plants. The vault of the station is faced with aluminum siding of silvery-white color.

There is currently operated only right tunnel at the station. The left tunnel is not completed yet. According to officials, it must be ready within two next years. There is opened only one vestibule (№2) with two exits. The second more demanded vestibule (№1) with escalator, elevator and four exits planned to be opened this year.






Two exits from the vestibule №2:

-Wings-

October 7, 2010. Opening of the station:

Link


Link


Link


Link


Link


Link


ТОРМОЗ354

February 9, 2011, 7:03pm by local time. Reopening of the station - the first train with passengers arrived:

knsx


knsx


knsx


knsx

December 2011:

Gelio


Gelio


Gelio

__________________

Rail_Serbia, geometarkv liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #1886
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

2011 - RECONSTRUCTIONS, RESTORATIONS AND RENOVATIONS:

In 2011 were celebrations dedicated to the 50-anniversary of the first space flight of Yury Gagarin (1934-1968), who on April 12, 1961 became the first human in space. To commemorate this event, Novosibirsk Metro station "Gagarinskaya" ("Yury Gagarin"; Line 1; opened on April 2, 1992) was renovated to the 50-anniversary of the first human spaceflight. The author of renovation was artist Igor Yelchenko. Here were added "portholes" with portraits of the first world's spaceman and blue lighting. The cost of renovation is 2 mln. Roubles (~ 63.000 USD).



June 2009. Station before renovation:

Gelio


Gelio


Gelio


Gelio

April 12, 2011. "Gagarinskaya" station after renovation:

RG


Gelio

"He invited us all into space" (Neil Armstrong's quote about Yury Gagarin):

RG

Photo exhibition "Breakthrough in the space":

RG

Exhibition of children's drawings:

RG


Gelio


Gelio


Gelio


Gelio


Gelio


Gelio


Gelio


Gelio


Gelio


RIA-Novosti
__________________

Rail_Serbia, geometarkv liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #1887
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

In August 2011 were renovated two of four entrances to the station "Oktyabrskaya" ("October"; Line 1; opened on January 7, 1986). The walls of pavilions were faced with alucobond.

August 1, 2011:

hungar

August 10, 2011:

hungar

August 13, 2011:

hungar

In October 2011 was started renovation of the one of two vestibules of the station "Rechnoy Vokzal" ("River Terminal"; Line 1; opened on January 7, 1986). Its walls will be faced with alucobond:

nsk-metro

In July-October 2011 were repaired stairs and walls of the two of five entrances to the station "Studencheskaya" ("Student"; Line 1; opened on January 7, 1986):

August 9, 2011:

ikeamen

September 14, 2011:

hungar

On August 26, 2011 was opened northern vestibule of the station "Ploshchad Garina-Mikhailovskogo" ("Garin-Mikhailovsky Square"; Line 2; opened on December 31, 1987), which previously was closed due to low passenger traffic and plans of the reconstruction of square:

savelevjazz

Since July 7, 2011 till October 3, 2011 was reconstructed one of four entrances to the station "Zaeltsovskaya" ("Beyond the Yeltsovka River"; Line 1; opened on April 2, 1992). Here was was made roofed pavilion, repaired stairs, marble facing and doors.

July 6, 2011:

nsk-metro

September 19, 2011:

hungar

October 2, 2011:

hungar

October 16, 2011:

hungar

In November-December 2011 was made replacement of the balustrade of escalators at the one of two vestibules of the station "Ploshchad Lenina" ("Lenin Square"; Line 1; opened on January 7, 1986).

December 2, 2011:

Myaroslav

December 25, 2011:

hungar

Among the other events of the last year are:
1) intoducing of sound ads about arriving of trains;
2) replacement of Metro schemes, indices and signage;
3) etc.
__________________

Rail_Serbia, geometarkv liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 05:12 PM   #1888
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

On August 3, 2011 began repainting of Novosibirsk Metro Bridge across Ob River, the longest Metro-only bridge in the world (2145 meters, built in 1980-1985). The preparation works started in May 2011. This repainting is necessary for protection of bridge from corrosion. According to the technical norms, the bridge should to be repainted every seven years. The previous repainting were made in 1992 and 1999. In 2011 here worked 40 people. They finished works in October 2011. Here were repainted more than 112600 square meters of the inner and outer surfaces of Metro bridge.

August 28, 2011:

gelio-nsk


gelio-nsk


gelio-nsk


gelio-nsk


gelio-nsk


gelio-nsk


gelio-nsk


gelio-nsk


gelio-nsk

September 13, 2011:

hungar
__________________

Rail_Serbia, geometarkv liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #1889
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

FURTHER DEVELOPMENT - 2012:

In 2012 they planned to complete construction of the second vestibule (№1) of the station "Zolotaya Niva" ("Golden Field") with four exits. This vestibule will be located at the intersection of Boris Bogatkov street and Koshurnikov street.

February 10, 2011. The uncompleted escalators in the vestibule №1 of the station "Zolotaya Niva" ("Golden Field"), which planned to be build with four exits (№№ 1-4). The station was opened with vestibule №2 and two exits (№№ 5-6):

NGS

September 11, 2011. Construction of the exit from the vestibule №1:

hungar

October 21, 2011:

hungar

October 23, 2011:

WingS-

November 4, 2011:

hungar

December 28, 2011:

hungar

January 9, 2012:

hungar
__________________

Rail_Serbia, geometarkv liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #1890
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

FURTHER DEVELOPMENT - 2013 AND LATER:

After the opening of the station "Zolotaya Niva" in 2010-2011, the extension of Metro network will be stopped for some years. The main problem is funding. Federal officials refused to give money for Metro construction. Regional and city authorities started realization of the other important project - construction of the new Olovozavodsky automobile bridge (so-called "Third Bridge") across the Ob River. Its construction began in February 2010 and is expected to continue until 2015. The total length of the bridge will be 2095.7 metres.

Therefore, regional and city governments has decided to fund this project instead of the funding of Metro construction. The funding of Metro construction was greatly decreased. In 2012 on Metro construction will be spent only 7 mln. USD, in 2013 - about 4 mln. USD. In 2012-2015, during the construction of "Third Bridge", they plan to made following things:
1) The construction and opening of the second vestibule of the station "Zolotaya Niva" with four exits;
2) The construction of the second tunnel from the "Beryozovaya Roshcha" ("Birch Grove") to "Zolotaya Niva" ("Golden Field") stations and opening of the train movement by this tunnel;
3) The construction and opening of the second vestibule of the "Beryozovaya Roshcha" station.

The project of the Olovozavodsky automobile bridge across the Ob River:

Novo-sibirsk.ru


Novo-sibirsk.ru

It's planned that after completion of the construction of Olovozavodsky bridge the funding of the Metro building will resume. According to the original plans, the next station of the Novosibirsk Metro planned to be "Ploshchad Stanislavskogo" ("Stanislavski Square") at the southwestern part of Line 1. This station will be located at the distance 1366 metres from the neighboring station - "Ploshchad Marksa" ("Marx Square").

Metroworld

"PLOSHCHAD STANISLAVSKOGO":

"Ploshchad Stanislavskogo" ("Stanislavski Square") is a future southwestern terminus station on the Leninskaya Line 1 of Novosibirsk Metro. It will be located under the Stanislavski Square, at the intersection of Stanislavski street and Titov street, in the Leninsky District. Due to saving of money, the station will be built with only one vestibule and four exits.

The station is named for Stanislavski Square, under which will be located. This square was named in the honour of Constantin Stanislavski (1863-1938), the great Russian actor and theatre director, the creator of the famous Stanislavski's system. Thanks to its promotion and development by acting teachers who were former students and the many translations of his theoretical writings, Stanislavski's system acquired an unprecedented ability to cross cultural boundaries and developed an international reach, dominating debates about acting in the West. That many of the precepts of his system seem to be common sense and self-evident testifies to its success. Sir Laurence Olivier wrote that Stanislavski's autobiography "My Life in Art" was a source of "great enlightenment" when he was a young actor. Sir John Gielgud said, "This director found time to explain a thousand things that have always troubled actors and fascinated students". Gielgud is also quoted as saying, "Stanislavski's now famous book is a contribution to the Theatre and its students all over the world".

Stanislavski treated theatre-making as a serious endeavour, requiring dedication, discipline and integrity, and the work of the actor as an artistic undertaking. Throughout his life, he subjected his own acting to a process of rigorous artistic self-analysis and reflection. His system resulted from a persistent struggle to remove the blocks he encountered. His development of a theorized praxis - in which practice is used as a mode of inquiry and theory as a catalyst for creative development - identifies him as the first great theatre practitioner. Stanislavski's work was as important to the development of socialist realism in the Soviet Union as it was to that of psychological realism in the United States. Many actors routinely identify his system with the American Method, although the latter's exclusively psychological techniques contrast sharply with Stanislavski's multivariant, holistic and psychophysical approach, which explores character and action both from the "inside out" and the "outside in". Stanislavski's work draws on a wide range of influences and ideas, including his study of the modernist and avant-garde developments of his time (naturalism, symbolism and Meyerhold's constructivism), Russian formalism, Yoga, Pavlovian behavioural psychology, James-Lange (via Ribot) psychophysiology and the aesthetics of Pushkin, Gogol, and Tolstoy. He described his approach as "spiritual Realism".

The station "Ploshchad Stanislavskogo" planned to be shallow three-vaulted station of column type. It will be built with two side platforms and track ways in the centre. The bridge over track ways will be lead into vestibule. Four entrances to the station will be located at the corners of Stanislavski Square.


Metronsk

However, it's more probable that next Metro station in Novosibirsk will be "Dovatora" of Dzerzhinskaya Line 2. The construction of the tunnel between "Zolotaya Niva" and "Dovatora" stations will be more difficult than southeastern expansion of Line 1 due to longer length (2194 meters) and the high level of the groundwaters. However, station "Dovatora" will be located on the territory of living massive and will be serve more passengers. In addition, it will be possible to build Metro depot "Volochayevskoe" beyond the "Dovatora" station. This Metro depot will be serve Line 2.

"DOVATORA":

"Dovatora" ("Lev Dovator") is a future eastern terminus station on the Dzerzhinskaya Line 2 of Novosibirsk Metro. It will be located at the intersection of Dovator street and Gusinobrodskoe Highway, on the border of Dzerzhinsky and Oktyabrsky Districts. The other project name of station is "Gusinobrodskaya".

The station is named for Dovator street, which located nearby. This street was named in the honour of Lev Dovator (1903-1941), Soviet Major-General and a Hero of the Soviet Union (1941).

Lev Dovator came from a family of peasant Jewish origin. At the start of the German invasion of the Soviet Union, he was posted as Chief of Staff of the Red Army's 36th Cavalry Division. He soon became the commander of a cavalry group, and in August - September 1941 this cavalry group executed the most daring raid through the rear areas of the German army in Smolensk Region.

During the Battle of Moscow, Dovator was the commander of 2nd Guards Cavalry Corps, which fended off the enemy advancement at Volokolamsk. He was killed on December 21, 1941 in action near the outskirts of Ruza town. He was reportedly cut down by machine-gun fire while crawling towards a forward position to get a better look. Dovator was posthumously given the title Hero of the Soviet Union two days after this. Upon hearing of his death, Marshal Georgy Zhukov is said to have lamented that it was a grievous loss.

In the later future, Metro station "Dovatora" will be have interchange on the future Oktyabrskaya Line.


Wikipedia
__________________

Rail_Serbia, geometarkv liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #1891
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

37) January 11, 1913 - Toshkent, Uzbekistan;
38) April 22, 1913 - Tsaritsyn (now Volgograd):


Early history

Volgograd, formerly called Tsaritsyn (1589–1925) and Stalingrad (1925–1961), is an important industrial city and the administrative center of Volgograd Region. It is 60-kilometer (37 miles) long, north to south, situated on the right bank of the Volga River.

Volgograd originated with the foundation in 1589 of Tsaritsyn at the confluence of the Tsaritsa and Volga Rivers. Before Tsaritsyn, there was a settlement of the Golden Horde in the mouth of the Tsaritsa River. The fortress Sary Su (a local Tatar language name meaning: Yellow Water/River), was established to defend the unstable southern border of Tsarist Russia. It soon became the nucleus of a trading settlement.

The original name of the city, Tsaritsyn, was first recorded by English explorer Christopher Barry in 1579, though he did not refer to the city, but to the island on the Volga River. In contrast to the popular misconception, this island was not named in honor of the any Tsaritsa (Tsarina). The origin of the name is usually traced back to the Turkic "Sary-Su" ("Yellow Water") or "Sary-Sin" ("Yellow Island"). The date of the founding of the city is considered to be July 2, 1589, when the fortress Tsaritsyn was first named in the charter of Russian Tsar Feodor I. The fortress was located slightly above the confluence of the Tsaritsa and Volga Rivers, on the high right bank of Volga River.

In 1607, the fortress was in revolt against the Tsar's troops but was suppressed six months later. In 1608 there was built first stone church, St. John the Baptist. At the beginning of the 17th century, the garrison consisted of 350-400 people. It was captured twice by Don Cossack rebels, under Stepan Razin in the rebellion of 1670-1671 and Kondraty Bulavin in the rebellion of 1707-1708. In 1670 the fortress was taken by troops of Stepan Razin, who was forced to leave it after a month. In 1708, the fortress was captured by insurgent Cossacks under leadership of Kondraty Bulavin, who was also left it after one month. In 1717 Tsaritsyn was sacked by the Crimean and Kuban Tatars. Later, in 1774, the city unsuccessfully stormed by rebel Cossack troops under leadership of Yemelyan Pugachev.

In 1691, Tsaritsyn established customs. In 1708 Tsaritsyn was assigned to the Kazan Governorate, in 1719 - to Astrakhan Governorate. According to the census in 1720, its population was 408 people. In 1773, Tsaritsyn became the provincial and district town. From 1780 it belonged to the Saratov Viceroyalty (since 1797 - Saratov Governorate).

Tsaritsyn became an important river port and commercial center in the 19th century. The population expanded rapidly during the 19th century, increasing from fewer than 3000 people in 1807 to 60.631 in 1900. In 1814 there was built first pier, in 1818 began to operate first tugboat. The regular operation of tugboat fleet began in 1848. In 1857 was opened first regular steamship passenger route along the Volga River - from lower part of river to the Nizhny Novgorod through Tsaritsyn.

The first railroad came to the town in 1862. It was Volga-Don Railway, the one of the first railways in Russian Empire. This railway linked Tsaritsyn with Kalach-on-Don town. It was built between Volga and Don Rivers (two major rivers of European Russia) in the place of its closest approach. During 1868-1870 was built railway Tsaritsyn-Gryazi station, which linked Lower Volga Region with the historical center of Russia. In 1899 was launched railroad between Tsaritsyn and Tikhoretsk station, Kuban Region. It was part of Vladikavkaz Railway (now North Caucasus Railway).

The first theater opened on October 13, 1872; the first cinema - in 1907. In 1879 was launched oil refinery of Nobel brothers, in 1881 - first steam sawmill of Maksimov brothers. By 1880 there was built Central Volga Embankment with landscaped boulevards, staircases and piers; and was formed trade center of the Tsaritsyn. The small living district of Nobel brothers became the ornament of Tsaritsyn. At the territory of this district were electric lighting (1884), telephones in the office and workshops of oil refinery, fontains, lawns with watering and flower garden.

On January 14, 1885 there was published first newspaper of Tsaritsyn ("Volga-Don sheet"). On November 2, 1890 was launched first city water-conduit. On January 17, 1894 was opened first public library. On May 12, 1897 was established metallurgy plant of joint-stock "Ural-Volga Metallurgical Company", which belonged to the French enterpreneurs. It was put into operation on December 7, 1898. Very soon, it became one of the largest metallurgy plants in Russian Empire. The population of Tsaritsyn was 55.2 thousands people in 1897.

Therefore, during 19th century Tsaritsyn was turned from quite provincial town into large trade and industrial centre, river port and important junction of railways. According to unconfirmed information, the first horse-drawn tram appeared in 1894 in the city garden of the famous merchant Vasily Lapshin, who was Head of Tsaritsyn. It, however, was used only for fun trips and entertainment of the noble citizens and didn't became the urban public kind of transport.

1910s, Tsaritsun. View from the Volga River:

volfoto

1910s, Tsaritsyn. View from the Volga River:

volfoto

1910s. Steam ship near the pier of Tsaritsyn:

volfoto

Probably, this is horse-drawn tram in the Lapshin Garden of Tsaritsyn (unconfirmed information):

AirForce


Link
__________________

geometarkv, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:30 PM   #1892
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

Electric tram system

By beginning of 20th century, there was only one kind of transportation - horse-drawn carriages. Tsaritsyn was very stretched along the Volga River. Therefore, there was too long distance between southern and northern borders of the city. It was divided into two major parts by the small Tsaritsa River. Those parts were known as part №1 (now Central District of Volgograd) and part №2 beyond the Tsaritsa River (now Voroshilov District of Volgograd). Two parts were connected by the wooden Astrakhan Bridge across Tsaritsa River, which was built in 1868. The cost of the one-way trip along the all streets within one of two parts varied from 15 to 50 kopecks. The cost of the two-way trip (with 15-minutes stop) was 50 kopecks or 0.5 rubles, what is equal to 5 USD in current prices. Of course, it was not cheap price.

The first electric lighting system in Tsaritsyn was installed in the district of Nobel brothers. Very soon, few Tsaritsyn enterprises built power stations of low capacity for own needs. In 1908 city authorities built own power station, and first 30 lanterns were installed at the streets in the central part of city. However, full-scale lighting of the city began only after the launching of the central power station, which was built in early-1910s.

Tsaritsyn Tram was the first tram system, which was built in uezd city (uezd was a secondary-level administrative division). The previous tram systems were built in the governorate cities (governorates were subdivided into uezds). Tsaritsyn Tram was one of few tram systems in pre-Revolution Russian Empire, which were built practically without participation of foreign capital. It was did thanks to the city 5%-obligation loan of 1910 (1.5 mln. rubles) for "construction of the tram network, power station and electric lighting". The authors of the project of construction of tram system and power station were Russian engineers Shulgin and Sudkevich. In 1912 their project was approved in the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russian Empire.

In mid-1911 City Council declared contest for the post of Supervisor of the construction of Urban Tram and power station in Tsaritsyn. There were 150 contenders on this post. As result engineer Slotintsev was chosen for this work. Head of Tsaritsyn began to build power station not according the Shulgin's project. It was decided to build central power station near the old low-capacity station on the bank of Volga River. However, during construction of foundation pit for the diesel machines the incident occurred - the basement of station has been flooded with groundwater. It led to big scandal, as result of which Head of Tsaritsyn and Supervisor of construction were forced to resign.

New Head of Tsaritsyn invited engineer Vladimir Radzieg (1881-1960) for the vacant post of Supervisor of construction. Due to saving of money, Radzieg decided to continue construction of power station on the old site instead of finding new site for construction. His idea was approved by City Council. The construction of tram system began in February 1912. During two months they ordered: three diesel machines (2*400 kW + 1*600 kW) - to the Augsburg Plant (Germany), equipment for power station and tram system - to the "Westinghouse Electric Corporation" (United States), 20 motor tramcars - to the Mytishchi Plant near Moscow, equipment for tramcars - to the "Universal company of electricity" (Russia). Tram depot was built according to project of engineer Povalyaev.

During the construction, in 1912 was built reinforced-concrete Astrakhan Bridge across Tsaritsa River. It replaced the old wooden bridge, which could not withstand heavy tramcars. New bridge was built by Saratov firm "Gringof brothers". During eight days before beginning of construction works, master Yastrebov built temporary wooden bridge for connection between two parts of Tsaritsyn at the period of construction. On December 18, 1912 the new Astrakhan Bridge was opened. By the autumn of 1912, all 6.4-km tramline was laid. At the power station began mounting works for installation of two diesel machines. Tramline was two-track with 1524-mm gauge. The overhead lines were installed on the special pillars between the tracks (at the major part of route) or on the side supports (in the city centre).

By the beginning of 1913, tram depot was built. It was built at Serdobsk street (now KIM street) - at the site, where now located Plant of Repairment of Tramcars and Trolleybuses of the Volgograd Electric Transport. In mid-March 1913 power station was put into operation. In March 1913 were made testing trips. Therefore, in 1913 Tsaritsyn's first tramline was built, and the city's first electric lights were installed in the city center.

Tram system in Tsaritsyn was opened on April 22, 1913, at 8:00am. On the eve of the opening, there happened sand storm in Tsaritsyn. For this reason, workers were forced to clean rails from the sand. Tram operation according to the regular schedule began since June 12, 1913. The first tramline was built from the Tikhoretsky Rail Terminal of Vladikavkaz Railway (now Volgograd II) to the city centre. The first tram route was same: Tikhoretsky Rail Terminal (now Volgograd II) - Red Settlement street (now Militiaman Bukhantsev street) - Lipetsk street (now Barricade street) - Princess street (now Workers' and Peasants' street) - Azov street (now Kalinin street) - Astrakhan Bridge across Tsaritsa River - Astrakhan street (now Soviet street) - Assumption street (now Lenin street) - Alexander street (now Lenin Avenue) - Market Square - Chernihiv street (now Lenin Avenue) - Warsaw street (now Lenin Avenue) - Novorossiysk street (now 7th Guards Division street).

There were 22 tram stops, the average distance between stops was 300 meters. Besides the main route, there was also additional tram route (within first line) between two Markets in the central part of the city and in the part №2 beyond the Tsaritsa River (present-day Central and Voroshilov Markets). The tramcars and trailers were made at the Mytishchi Plant near Moscow. In March 1913 the first 16 wooden tramcars were delivered in the tram depot. Originally there were exploited 9 tramcars in the opening day. In July 1913 there were 20 tramcars in Tsaritsyn. There were operated 11 tramcars at main route and 6 tramcars at additional route everyday.

On December 27, 1914 was opened second tramline - from the Merchants piers on the Central Embankment of Volga River to the Police Department near the crossing of Gogol street and Voronezh street (now Communist street). Police Department was located only in few minutes walk from the Central Rail Terminal (now Volgograd I). There were 31 tram stops at two tramlines. The total length of tramlines was 10 km. The ticket price was 5 kopecks or 0.05 rubles. During the first day of exploitation tramcars carried 10.000 people, tram profit was 325 rubles. Therefore, tram enterprise brought big profit into city treasury. In September 1914, after beginning of WWI, it was increased on 1 kopeck due to "military needs". On July 14, 1915 was opened new route from the Central Market to the metallurgy plant (now "Red October" plant), which is located in the northern end of the city. The total length of tramlines increased to 14.5 km.

During the Russian Civil War Tsaritsyn was under Soviet control starting from November 1917. In 1918-1920 Tsaritsyn became important strategic centre of military actions between White and Red Armies. This was known as the Battle for Tsaritsyn. In July-October 1918, Tsaritsyn was besieged by White troops under leadership of Ataman Pyotr Krasnov. Three assaults by White troops were repulsed. However, on June 30, 1919 Tsaritsyn was captured by White Caucasus Volunteer Army under leadership of Lieutenant-General Pyotr Wrangel. As result of military actions, part of tram network was damaged and three tramcars were smashed by the artillery bombs. In July 1919, after capture of city, tram operation in Tsaritsyn was stopped.

On July 3, 1919, after arriving in Tsaritsyn, Lieutenant-General Anton Denikin signed "Moscow Directive" - famous order about offensive of White Army on Moscow. However, this offensive was failed. In autumn of 1919 White Army had suffered a fatal defeat, which led to beginning of the mass retreat to the Crimea. On January 3, 1920 White Army troops left Tsaritsyn. Before retreat, they blew important city objects - bridges, water-conduit and central power station. As result, Tsaritsyn remained without water, electric lighting and tram.

1912, consecration of the Tsaritsyn tram depot:

AirForce

1913, construction of the Tsaritsyn tram depot at Serdobsk street (now KIM street):

AS

2010, former tram depot (now Plant of Repairment of Tramcars and Trolleybuses of the Volgograd Electric Transport):

count-real

2008, former tram depot (now Plant of Repairment of Tramcars and Trolleybuses of the Volgograd Electric Transport):

Антон Буслов

Tramlines at the pre-Revolutionary Map of Tsaritsyn:
Red line - tram route №1: Tikhoretsky Rail Terminal (now Volgograd II) - Novorossiysk street (now 7th Guards Division street);
Green line - additional tram route: Zatsaritsynsky Market (now Voroshilov Market) - Central Market;
Blue line - tram route №2: Merchants piers - Voronezh street (now Communist street);
Purple line - tram route №3: Central Market - Metallurgy Plant;
Orange line - service tramline to the tram depot;
X - Tsaritsyn tram depot at Serdobsk street (now KIM street):


Click to enlarge
CLICKABLE
__________________

geometarkv, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #1893
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

April 22, 1913. Opening of the Tsaritsyn Tram:

AS

1910s, tramcar of Mytishchi Plant in Tsaritsyn:

AirForce

Engineer Vladimir Radzieg (1881-1960), who was Supervisor of the construction of Tsaritsyn Tram in 1912-1913:

gortransvolga
__________________

geometarkv, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #1894
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1914. Tram stop at the Princess street (now Workers' and Peasants' street):

AirForce

1910s, tramcar in Tsaritsyn:

AirForce

1910s. 4th Female Gymnasium at the Princess street (now Workers' and Peasants' street):

KIRILL
__________________

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #1895
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1917, Astrakhan Bridge across Tsaritsa River:

volgohist

1910s, Astrakhan Bridge across Tsaritsa River:

volgohist

1910s, Alexander street (now Lenin Avenue):

AS
__________________

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:34 PM   #1896
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1910s, tramcar near Volga Enbankment:

volgohist

1910s, tramcar at Market Square:

volgograd-trans

1910s, tramcars near Alexander Square (now Square of Fallen Fighters):

volfoto

1910, tramline in Tsaritsyn:

AirForce

1910s, Gogol street. View to the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral at Alexander Square (now Square of Fallen Fighters):

volfoto
__________________

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #1897
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1910s, Alexander Nevsky Cathedral (built in 1901-1916):

volfoto

1910s, Monument to Nikolay Gogol (1809-1852) - great Russo-Ukrainian writer - near Alexander Nevsky Cathedral. It was opened in 1910, to the centenary of his birthday:

volfoto
__________________

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #1898
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

Tram route №2 at Gogol street. Photo reconstruction of 1910s:

Laser

1914. Gogol street, view to the side of Central Rail Terminal (now Volgograd I):

Максим Валерьевич

1910s, Gogol street:

AirForce
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #1899
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER
 
Woonsocket54's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: East Millinocket, Maine
Posts: 5,660
Likes (Received): 5780

what's the purpose of the future Lesoparkovaya station on the Butovskaya light metro? It's right next to the MKAD freeway. Is it meant to be a park-and-ride, or is it actually close to residential areas?
__________________

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 07:01 AM   #1900
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
what's the purpose of the future Lesoparkovaya station on the Butovskaya light metro? It's right next to the MKAD freeway. Is it meant to be a park-and-ride, or is it actually close to residential areas?
This is a station in the future perspective. In any case, if the length of the underground tunnel between two neighboring stations is more than 3 kilometers, it is necessary to built exit for evacuation in emergency cases. So, they decided to built station instead of this.

At current moment, there is no big necessary in this station.
__________________

Rail_Serbia, geometarkv liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
метро, kazan, metro, novosibirsk, samara, st. petersburg, subway, transport

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium