daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:52 AM   #1941
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1900s. Volga-Siberian Hotel at the crossing of Cathedral street (now Young Guard street) and St. John street (now Nekrasov street):

oldsamara

1900s, Cathedral street (now Young Guard street):

Laly

1915, Resurrection Cathedral. View from Volga River along the Gentry street (now Kuybyshev street):

oldsamara
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:53 AM   #1942
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1900s. Cathedral street (now Young Guard street):

samaramapsmu

1900s, Cathedral street (now Young Guard street):

Laly

1909, Consistory building at Cathedral street (now Young Guard street):

oldsamara

Mid-1900s. Cathedral street (now Young Guard street):

Link

Mid-1900s. Crossing of the Cathedral street (now Young Guard street) and Tinmen street (now Leo Tolstoy street):

Андрей Кравчук
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:54 AM   #1943
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1900s, Tinmen street (now Leo Tolstoy street):

oldsamara

1910s, Pushkin House (right) at Leo Tolstoy street:

oldsamara

1910s, Pushkin House at Leo Tolstoy street:

oldsamara
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:55 AM   #1944
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1910s, Rail Terminal Square:

oldsamara

1910s, Rail Terminal Square:

oldsamara
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:55 AM   #1945
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1906. Molokan Orchard:

samaratrans

1900s. Horse-drawn tram near Postnikov Ravine:

samaratrans
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:56 AM   #1946
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

Ten years of the "bureaucratic battles"

By 1916, population of Samara increased to 150 thousand people. The number of large enterprises increased from one in 1879 to 72 in 1914. In beginning of 20th century Samara was a largest center of grain processing in Russian Empire. There operated three large fairs per year. Samara pier was one of the best piers at Volga River. The city was large industrial centre of Volga Region.

At same times, before beginning of WWI Samara was only one large city of Volga Region (with population more than 50 thousand people), where was no electric kind of transport. By 1914, electric tram networks successfully exploited in the other large Volga cities - Nizhny Novgorod (since 1896), Kazan (1899), Astrakhan (1900), Yaroslavl (1900), Tver (1901), Saratov (1908) and Tsaritsyn, now Volgograd (1913). In contrast, Belgian owners of horse-drawn tram system in Samara didn't want to modernize or to sell own enterprise. For this reason, old tram equipment (including tramcars) began to come into disrepair with the time. The single-track horse-drawn tram system and horsecars with low capacity could not meet the needs of a growing city. Very soon, it became clear that era of horse-drawn tram began to come to an end. As result, many Samara residents began to think about construction of electric tram network in the city.

City authorities began to discuss this idea in 1902. The main question was the follow: is it necessary to build tram system at the money of entrepreneurs according to contract or it should to be built on the city funds? It was not simple question, and it was discussed by city authorities many times. In February 1902 nobleman Sergey Postnikov addressed with a proposal in the City Council. He proposed to sign concession contract for construction and exploitation of electric tram network. This proposal was discussed in City Council during 1902-1903. Finally, it was approved in July 1905. According to the contract, there should to be built two urban and one suburban tramline, the routes of which were been determined by Sergey Postnikov.

On December 9, 1905 Sergey Postnikov was elected at the post of Head of Samara. He did many positive things for the city: opening of 2nd Male Gymnasium, construction of the bridge across Samara River, construction of the water-conduit in the Zasamarskaya Settlement, expansion of the bay on Samara River. However, his idea of the construction of electric tram failed. He didn't have money for realization of this project. For this reason, Postnikov was forced appeal to Samara entrepreneurs with proposal to create common capital for construction. However, majority of Samara entrepreneurs, who had a lot of money, wanted to be the sole owners of electric tram instead of this. As result, Sergey Postnikov's concession was not approved in the Ministry of Internal Affairs, and he lost concession and own high post.

In 1905 Ministry of Internal Affairs, which managed Russian tram systems in those times, advised to city authorities to built tram system on own money. At those times about 75% tram systems in Russia belonged to Belgian entrepreneurs. For this reason, all profits from the exploitation of the tram systems sent abroad, while city authorities received only small part from those profits. However, due to construction of power station and water conduit, city treasury was empty. The city had nothing but debts.

Finally, on January 22, 1908 City Council approved project of concession contract for construction of electric tram system and exploitation of power station. They had few conditions for potential owners. After ten years from the opening of tram system, entrepreneur should to be built 2 km of new tramlines per each five years. In addition, entrepreneur should to built new tramlines according to the requirement of city authorities. In turn, city authorities should to pay money compensation in this case. Tramcars should to have first-class and second-class places. The number of second-class places should be no less than 2/3 of total number of seats. Ticket prices within one section should to be 5 kopecks (first-class) and 3 kopecks (second-class); within two sections - 8 and 5 kopecks respectively; at suburban line from Molokan Orchard to Postnikov Ravine - 8 and 5 kopecks; from Postnikov Ravine to Barboshina Valley - 10 and 7 kopecks. Entrepreneur should to built urban tramlines no late than after two years since completion of technical project and to built suburban tramlines no late than after two years since opening of urban tramlines. Entrepreneur had rights for cargo transportation, if it will not create problems for passenger traffic. The term of concession is 50 years, but city authorities had rights to purchase it after 30 years from beginning of exploitation. As result, city authorities received many proposal from Russian and foreign (mostly - Belgian) entrepreneurs. All those proposals were discussed till 1909.

On June 1, 1909 City Council finally decided to built electric tram system. The only one opponent was Belgian Tram Trust "Company of urban and suburban tramways in Russia" (owners of horse-drawn tram network), who found supporters among members of City Council. Despite on this opposition, in 1910 City Council unexpectedly decided to build electric tram network on own money. They declared contest for best project of construction of electric tram and expansion of power station and lighting network in Samara. After Meeting of City Council on July 28, 1910 were allocated 10.000 rubles to pay prizes for the projects. The main document in the project should to be explanatory note with economic calculations, general plan of tram network, longitudinal profile of all tramlines, general view of tramcars, plans of future tram depot and power station. According to the demand of City Council, there should to be built 13.8 km of two-track tramlines with 1524-mm gauge, the speed of tramcars should to be no less than 12.8 km/h. This contest was anonymous - experts had only projects with mottos, not knowing names of authors.

By 1911, special commission of experts received five contest projects with the mottos: "Esperons" ("We hope"), "Engineer", 'Better late than never", "Phoenix" and "Energy". Those projects were discussed at 12 meetings during first half of 1911. As result, commission decided not to award first prize (4000 rubles) to anyone. They awarded projects: "Better late than never" (second prize - 2000 rubles), "Esperons" (third prize - 1000 rubles) and "Phoenix" (fourth prize - 500 rubles). Therefore, the winner was engineer Pavel Sutkevich from St. Petersburg with project "Better late than nothing". In July-August of 1911 his project (172 pages with electric schemes) was published in Samara.

Enginner Pavel Sutkevich was "father of Samara Tram". He was born in Saratov on September 20, 1871. His parents were poor noblemen. In 1892 he graduated 2nd Classical Gymnasium of Odessa with Gold Medal, in 1897 - Saint Petersburg Institute of Technology. During 12 years (1898-1910) Sutkevich worked in the "Russian joint stock company of electric railways and electric lighting" in Nizhny Novgorod. He worked by Chief of central power station and later - by technical director of this company. On December 19, 1908 he was awarded by Order of Saint Stanislaus (3rd rank). In 1910 he moved in St. Petersburg, where worked with projects of power stations of Yelisavetgrad (now Kirovohrad), Orenburg, Ufa and other cities. He lived in Samara during four years - since October 21, 1912 till December 5, 1916.

For construction of electric tram network without entrepreneurs, it was necessary to find big money. Originally it was decided to take bonded debt (4.7 millions rubles). However, it was very unprofitable as the city should to pay big percents in this case. For this reason, it was chosen option with mortgage loan (9 millions rubles) - put in pledge urban lands in the bank. In 1912 realization of this project was slowed due to opposition of horse-drawn tram owners.

However, only after arriving of Pavel Sutkevich in Samara this project was turned into reality. By 1913, there was nothing except resolution of City Council for construction of electric tram network on own money. In 1913 City Council established tram comission for construction and exploitation of electric tram network. According to law, such comission must be heading by one of members of City Council. However, in case if it required special knowledges, the City Council had the right to appoint an independent person to this post. For this reason, Sergey Postnikov was appointed Official Chairman, but in fact the Head of Comission was engineer Pavel Sutkevich. Sutkevich signed contract with city authorities till October 1914.

On February 12, 1913 it was officially decided to conclude a mortgage loan, and was signed contract with Nizhny Novgorod-Samara Bank. All necessary documents were sent in St. Petersburg. Originally total amount of loan was 1.960 mln. rubles. However, according to project of Sutkevich, it was also necessary to expand city central power station, to mount electric lighting and to conduct electric current at enterprise. As result, total amount increased almost twice, to 3.680 mln. rubles. The detailed technical project was ready in March 1913. In May 1913 Ministry of Internal Affairs approved this project and gave permission for mortgage loan in Samara. After ten years of the "bureaucratic battles", the project was ready for realization.

Engineer Pavel Sutkevich (1871-1919), the "Father of Samara Tram":

Link
__________________

geometarkv liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:58 AM   #1947
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

Construction of the electric tram network

Engineer Sutkevich asked 850 thousand rubles for construction works in 1913, including: expansion of power station - 150 thousand rubles, construction of traction substation - 25 thousand rubles, laying of tramlines - 285 thousand rubles, installation of overhead lines - 60 thousand rubles, installation of cable network - 45 thousand rubles, construction of tram depot and workshops - 150 thousand rubles, purchase of rolling stock and equipment - 50 thousand rubles, miscellaneous and incidental expenses - 85 thousand rubles.

On June 16, 1913 was held solemn laying of an extension building to the city's power station. The construction of the tram depot began in June 1913 at the crossing of Field street and Nightingale street (now Michurin street). In August 1913 were ordered 60 tramcars to Kolomna Plant. The construction works began in spring of 1914. On May 3, 1914 was held solemn laying of electric tram at the crossing of Saratov street (now Frunze street) and Factory street (now Ventsek street).

Wanting to bankrupt the horse-drawn tram enterprise, Sutkevich decided to built electric tramlines parallel to the horse-drawn lines along the other streets. For example, electric tramlines were laid along the Saratov street (now Frunze street) and St. Alexius street (now Red Army street), while horse-drawn tramlines were built at parallel Gentry street (now Kuybyshev street) and Tinmen street (now Leo Tolstoy street). He planned to open five routes:
1) Philistine Settlement (now Michurin microdistrict) - Philistine street (now Proletarian street) - Mill street (now Clinical street) - Field street - St. Elijah street (now Artsybushev street) - St. Alexius street (now Red Army street) - Saratov street (now Frunze street);
2) Tram depot - Field street - Samara street - Resurrection Square (now Samara Square) - Trinity street (now Galaktionov street) - Factory street (now Ventsek street) - St. Alexius Square (now Revolution Square);
3) semicircular route: Rail Terminal - St. Alexius street (now Red Army street) - Trinity street (now Galaktionov street) - Factory street (now Ventsek street) - Embankment street (now Maxim Gorky street) - St. Alexius street (now Red Army street);
4) semicircular route towards to tram route №3;
5) Tram depot - Nightingale street (now Michurin street) - Artillery barracks (present-day Lunacharsky street) - New Garden street - Postnikov Ravine - 4th Cottage Glade (now Soviet Army street).

All electric tramlines were two-track, except tram route №5 and part of tram route №1 at Philistine Settlement (now Michurin microdistrict). In April were laid tramlines at Factory street (now Ventsek street), Trinity street (now Galaktionov street), Field street and Samara street; in May - at Saratov street (now Frunze street), St. Alexius street (now Red Army street) and St. Elijah street (now Artsybushev street). In July began construction of tramline at Embankment street (now Maxim Gorky street) as well as construction of tramlines to Rail Terminal, Postnikov Ravine and Philistine Settlement (now Michurin microdistrict).

In June 1914 was finished expansion of power station. By beginning of WWI, were completed laying of underground cable, construction of majority of tramlines as well as tram depot with workshops. The construction of tram route №2 was fully completed. However, there were problems with delivery of tramcars, which were ordered to Kolomna Plant. No one of those tramcars has been made. According to original plans, first tramcars should be delivered in 1913. However, it was postponed on two years. Only due to efforts of Pavel Sutkevich, who personally went into Kolomna, its production has been accelerated. For this reason, city authorities were forced to prolong contract with Sutkevich till 1915.

After beginning of WWI, these plans were corrected. Some lines were fully completed only in 1915-1916. For example, light rails for Cottage Line were ordered to Kerch Metallurgical Plant, but due to shortage of rail cars at the beginning of WWI its supply was disrupted. The trailers were ordered in Budapest on the eve of WWI, but after two weeks Austro-Hungary became a military adversary for Russian Empire. As result, trailers appeared in Samara only in 1926. In general, in 1914 were laid 29.8 out of 37.3 km of planned tramlines.

After beginning of WWI, majority of construction works were interrupted and male workers were mobilized on front. There was interrupted delivery of equipment, construction of tramcars at Kolomna Plant was totally stopped. Tram system was built on 95%, but it could not work due to many small imperfections and lack of tramcars. Pavel Sutkevich was forced to go into Kolomna for few times. As result, some tramcars were built and delivered into Samara. The first tramcar arrived in Samara on November 24, 1914. Two days later was made testing trip - from tram depot to the Simbirsk street (now Ulyanovsk street); along the Field street and St. Elijah street (now Artsybushev street). The first tram driver was Pavel Sutkevich, and city officials were first passengers.

On January 29, 1915 special commission examined tram route №2 and gave permission on the launching of tram operation at this line. The problem was only in the lack of tramcars. On February 9 were delivered four tramcars into Samara, on February 22 - four more. As result, city authorities decided to open tram route with nine tramcars. Opening day was set for February 25. It was day of Metropolitan Alexius, Patron Saint of Samara.

Electric tram system in Samara was opened on February 25, 1915. At 12:00 noon was held liturgy in tram depot. The first route was from tram depot to the St. Alexius Square (now Revolution Square). The driver of first tramcar was engineer Sutkevich. At 1:30pm five tramcars arrived at St. Alexius Square (now Revolution Square). The first passengers were city officials. Tramcars with officials returned in the tram depot, where they officially cut the ribbon. After this, tramcars returned at St. Alexius Square. The passengers of head tramcar were clergymen, who sprinkled holy water on the route. After second arrival at St. Alexius Square, tramcars were opened for passengers.

Tramline was divided into four segments with the borders at Resurrection Square (now Samara Square), crossing of the Trinity street (now Galaktionov street) and St. Alexius street (now Red Army street), and near Trinity Market. Ticket price for the trip by two line segments was 3 kopecks or 0.03 rubles (for comparison, cost of ticket of horse-drawn tram was 5 kopecks). The capacity of tramcars was 22 seats and 18 standing, average speed of tramcars was 10.7 km/h, the maximal speed - 22 km/h. During first day of exploitation, tram profit was 297.60 rubles, during first week - 3451 rubles, during 17 days - 8385.03 rubles. During first week tramcars carried 115 thousand passengers. It was possible to have 150.000 rubles of annual profit instead of planned 80-90 thousand rubles.

The part of profit was used for the purchase of new tramcars and opening of new routes. In the end of February were delivered six tramcars in Samara, in the beginning of March - six more tramcars. Tramcars continued to arrive within all year. By October 13 there were 52 tramcars in Samara, by the end of 1915 - all 60 tramcars, which were ordered to Kolomna Plant. There were operated 30 tramcars every day. Tram system operated from 5:00am till 1:00am (summer schedule) and from 6:00am till 10:00pm (winter schedule).

After arriving of new tramcars, it became possible to launch four other tram routes. On March 27, 1915 tram route №3 was partially opened. Three tramcars began to operate from Rail Terminal to the crossing of St. Alexius street (now Red Army street) and Trinity street (now Galaktionov street). On April 17 tram route №1 was partially opened at the path from Trinity street (now Galaktionov street) to the Police Square (now Bread Square); along the St. Alexius street (now Red Army street) and Saratov street (now Frunze street). On June 10 tram route №3 was extended to Embankment street (now Maxim Gorky street); along the Trinity street (now Galaktionov street) and Factory street (now Ventsek street). On July 3 single-track line of tram route №5 was partially opened at the path from tram depot to Postnikov Ravine; beside the Artillery barracks (present-day Lunacharsky street) and Artillery Plant (now Maslennikov Plant).

In October 1915 tram route №1 was extended to Philistine Settlement (now Michurin microdistrict). There was opened single-track tramline from Nightingale street (now Michurin street) to Moscow street; along the Mill street (now Clinical street) and Philistine street (now Proletarian street). Also there were built tramlines at the descent to St. Alexius street (now Red Army street) and the path at Embankment street (now Maxim Gorky street). Therefore, semicircular tram routes №3 and №4 were totally built. However, those routes fully worked only at summer period, during active navigation on the Volga River. During winter period these routes were shortened - tram route №3 was limited to Trinity Square (intercession of present-day Galaktionov street and Leningrad street) while tram route №4 was limited to Saratov street (now Frunze street). Also, single-track cottage tram route №5 did not operated in winter period. In addition, was built Theatre branch line - from St. Alexius street (now Red Army street) along the Saratov street (now Frunze street) to the Strukov Garden and Samara Drama Theatre. This branch line was used only for transportation of spectators after end of theatrical performances as well as on special occasions.

However, exploitation of electric tram network was not without problems. Men-workers were mobilized on front. For this reason, city authorities were forced to hire women for the work by controller. In addition, traumatism of electric tram was higher than horse-drawn tram. In the end of 1915, due to military spending, tram commission was forced to increase travel price on 1 kopeck - to 4 kopecks for ticket. Nevertheless, despite of the all shortcomings, the electric tram has become a favorite kind of transport in Samara, and activity of tram commission was evaluated very high. Annual traffic in 1915 was 20.5 mln. passengers, annual profit - more than 600 thousand rubles.

Electric lines were specially constructed parallel to the horse-drawn lines along the other streets. It led to a sharp decrease of passenger traffic at horse-drawn tramlines, because electric tram was more fast and cheap. The owners of horse-drawn tram tried to resist the sharp decreasing of profit. In summer 1916 they have lowered travel prices on 1 kopeck (from 5 to 4 kopecks at urban lines). Therefore, travel prices of both enterprises became equal. However, this did not change the situation radically. As result of decreasing of profit, horse-drawn tram owners were forced to use only one horse in harness of each horsecar. But in heavy winter of 1916/1917, due to strong storms and snow drifts, the work of horse-drawn tram system was irregular and some lines were closed at this period. As a result, the popularity of horse-drawn tram decreased even more.

On July 1, 1916 single-track line of tram route №5 was extended from Postnikov Ravine along the New Garden street to the Trinity Church near 4th Cottage Glade (now Soviet Army street). Therefore, all planned lines were put into operation. In end of June there daily worked 50 (maximum - 53) tramcars of 60. The average speed increased to 12 km/h. In the end of 1916 tram enterprise was transferred to the ownership of City Council. After completion of works in Samara, engineer Pavel Sutkevich resigned and moved to Nizhny Novgorod for the expansion of the local tram system, which needed in complete reconstruction after transfer to municipal ownership. Like in Samara, his project was named the best in Nizhny Novgorod and he also has been awarded by the City Council. Reconstruction works in Nizhny Novgorod should to begin in 1917, but it was prevented by Revolution.

The annual passenger was 38.4 mln. passengers in 1916. Therefore, during two years Samara Tramway became one of the most busiest tram systems in Russian Empire. In the late-1916 and early-1917 some military factories were evacuated into Samara. For military cargo transportation from Rail Terminal to the Artillery Plant (now Maslennikov Plant), there were built two service branch tramlines. One branch line was built between the cottage line of tram route №5 and the workshops of Artillery Plant. Second branch line was built between the terminus station of tram route №3 and the freight house of Samara-Zlatoust Railway. For those lines were made 14 cargo tram platforms. During 1918-1920 Theatre branch line was extended to the power station and later to the warehouses of firewood at the bank of Volga River. It was used for transportation of fuel from railway to the power station as well as for transportation of firewood for heating of living houses and public buildings. Due to shortage of rails for construction of those branch lines, there were partially dismantled rails at the descent of St. Alexius street (now Red Army street) and Embankment street (now Maxim Gorky street).

After February Revolution of 1917, electric and horse-drawn tram enterprises began to face with difficulties. In the spring of 1917 there worked only 8-10 electric tramcars per day. After October Revolution of 1917, Bolsheviks under leadership of Valerian Kuybyshev took power in the Samara. According to decree of city authorities on January 1, 1918, all horse-drawn tramlines were closed and all equipment (tramcars, horses, etc) was given to the military departament. Therefore, horse-drawn tram enterprise ceased to exist.

On June 8, 1918, with the armed support of the Czechoslovak Legion, the city was taken by the Committee of Members of the Constituent Assembly or "Komuch". They organised a "Democratic Counter-revolution", which at its height encompassed 12 million people. They fought under the Red Flag against the Bolsheviks. Within the short time, Samara was capital of the so-called Russian Republic, which was established from the few governorates, captured by Czechoslovak Legion. However, on October 7, 1918 Samara was seized by Red Army troops under leadership of Mikhail Tukhachevsky and Tikhon Khvesin.

Due to Russian Civil War, summer operation at tram routes №№3-5 was not launched. In November 1918 was cancelled tram route №2. On March 1, 1919, due to lack of electricity, tram operation was totally stopped at all five lines. Truly speaking, since mid-April till June 7 few tramcars still operated at some routes. But later passenger operation was stopped again, and tram system began to use only for cargo transportation.

HISTORY OF SAMARA TRAM ROUTES (1915-1920)

Tram route №1:


Opened on April 17, 1915:
Police Square (now Bread Square) - Saratov street (now Frunze street) - St. Alexius street (now Red Army street) - crossing of St. Alexius street (now Red Army street) and Trinity street (now Galaktionov street);
End of 1915:
The route was extended to the Philistine Settlement (now Michurin microdistrict) with single-track tramline along the Mill street (now Clinical street) and Philistine street (now Proletarian street):
Police Square (now Bread Square) - Saratov street (now Frunze street) - St. Alexius street (now Red Army street) - St. Elijah street (now Artsybushev street) - Field street - Nightingale street (now Michurin street) - Mill street (now Clinical street) - Philistine street (now Proletarian street) - "Philistine Settlement";
March 1, 1919 - July 1920:
The route did not operate.

Tram route №2:

Opened on February 25, 1915:
St. Alexius Square (now Revolution Square) - Factory street (now Ventsek street) - Trinity street (now Galaktionov street) - Resurrection Square (now Samara Square) - Samara street - Field street - "Tram depot";
November 1918 - 1922:
The route did not operate.

Tram route №3:

Opened on March 27, 1915:
Rail Terminal - Terminal street (now Agibalov street) - St. Alexius street (now Red Army street) - crossing of St. Alexius street (now Red Army street) and Trinity street (now Galaktionov street);
June 10, 1915:
The route was extended to the Trinity Square (now Leningrad street) during winter and to the steamship piers at the Embankment street (now Maxim Gorky street) during summer:
Rail Terminal - Terminal street (now Agibalov street) - St. Alexius street (now Red Army street) - Trinity street (now Galaktionov street) - Trinity Square (now Leningrad street) - Trinity street (now Galaktionov street) - Factory street (now Ventsek street) - Embankment street (now Maxim Gorky street) - "Embankment";
End of 1915:
The route became semicircular (for summer period). During winter it operated in both directions along the Trinity street (now Galaktionov street) to the Trinity Square (now Leningrad street):
Rail Terminal - Terminal street (now Agibalov street) - St. Alexius street (now Red Army street) - Trinity street (now Galaktionov street) - Trinity Square (now Leningrad street) - Trinity street (now Galaktionov street) - Factory street (now Ventsek street) - Embankment street (now Maxim Gorky street) - "Embankment" - Embankment street (now Maxim Gorky street) - St. Alexius street (now Red Army street) - Terminal street (now Agibalov street) - Rail Terminal;
1918:
Tram operation along the Embankment street (now Maxim Gorky street) did not opened during summer:
Rail Terminal - Terminal street (now Agibalov street) - St. Alexius street (now Red Army street) - Trinity street (now Galaktionov street) - Trinity Square (now Leningrad street);
March 1, 1919 - 1922:
The route did not operate.

Tram route №4:

End of 1915:
It was opened as semicircular route (for summer period). During winter it operated in both directions along the St. Alexius street (now Red Army street) to the Saratov street (now Frunze street):
Rail Terminal - Terminal street (now Agibalov street) - St. Alexius street (now Red Army street) - Saratov street (now Frunze street) - St. Alexius street (now Red Army street) - Embankment street (now Maxim Gorky street) - "Embankment" - Embankment street (now Maxim Gorky street) - Factory street (now Ventsek street) - Trinity street (now Galaktionov street) - St. Alexius street (now Red Army street) - Terminal street (now Agibalov street) - Rail Terminal;
1917:
The route operated before the Saratov street (now Frunze street) during all year:
Rail Terminal - Terminal street (now Agibalov street) - St. Alexius street (now Red Army street) - Saratov street (now Frunze street);
March 1, 1919 - 1922:
The route did not operate.

Tram route №5:

Opened on July 3, 1915 at the single-track tramline:
Tram depot - Nightingale street (now Michurin street) - Artillery barracks (present-day Lunacharsky street) - New Garden street - Postnikov Ravine;
July 1, 1916:
The route was extended with single-track tramline to the Trinity Church near 4th Cottage Glade (now Soviet Army street):
Tram depot - Nightingale street (now Michurin street) - Artillery barracks (present-day Lunacharsky street) - New Garden street - 4th Cottage Glade (now Soviet Army street);
1918 - July 1920:
The route did not operate.

Horse-drawn and electric tramlines at the Map of Samara (1915):
Red lines - horse-drawn tram network;
Green lines - electric tram network;
X - Horse-tram depot;
X - Electric tram depot;
X - Samara Rail Terminal;
Blue arrow - Volga River;
Red arrow - Samara River:


oldsamara
CLICKABLE

Horse-drawn and electric tramlines at the Map of Samara (1916):
Red lines - horse-drawn tram network;
Green lines - electric tram network;
X - Horse-tram depot;
X - Electric tram depot;
X - Samara Rail Terminal;
X - Pumping and power stations;
Blue arrow - Volga River;
Red arrow - Samara River:


oldsamara
CLICKABLE
__________________

geometarkv liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:59 AM   #1948
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

Scheme of electric tramlines (1917):
Green square - tram depot;
Red spots - tram route №1 (Police Square, now Bread Square - "Philistine Settlement");
Green spots - tram route №2 ("Tram depot" - St. Alexius Square, now Revolution Square);
Blue spots - semicircular tram route №3 (Rail Terminal - "Embankment" - Rail Terminal);
Purple spots - semicircular tram route №4 (Rail Terminal - "Embankment" - Rail Terminal);
Orange spots - "cottage" tram route №5 ("Tram depot" - 4th Cottage Glade, now Soviet Army street);
Red arrows - branch line to the warehouses of firewood for cargo transportation;
Blue arrow - branch line to the freight house of Samara-Zlatoust Railway for cargo transportation;
Orange arrow - branch line to the workshops of Artillery Plant for cargo transportation;
X - Philistine Settlement;
X - Bridge accross Postnikov Ravine:


Музей ТТУ
CLICKABLE

1915-1918, ticket of electric tram:

Laser
__________________

geometarkv liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:59 AM   #1949
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1900. Central power station of Samara:

oldsamara

1900s. Power station of Samara:

oldsamara
__________________

geometarkv liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:00 AM   #1950
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

June 16, 1913. Solemn laying of an extension building to the city power station:

oldsamara

1914. Expansion of power station during construction of the electric tram system:

oldsamara

1914. Expansion of power station during construction of the electric tram system:

oldsamara

1914. Expansion of power station during construction of the electric tram system:

oldsamara

1914. Expansion of power station during construction of the electric tram system:

oldsamara
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:01 AM   #1951
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1914. Expansion of power station during construction of the electric tram system:

oldsamara

1915. Pumping station and power station:

oldsamara

1915. Power station:

oldsamara

1916. Power station after expansion:

oldsamara
__________________

geometarkv liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:02 AM   #1952
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1910s, construction of the electric tramline. Drainage of lake (crossing of New Garden street and Maslennikov Avenue):

oldsamara

1915. Construction of the electric tramline at the descent by St. Alexius street (now Red Army street):

oldsamara

1915. Construction of the electric tramline at Terminal street (now Agibalov street):

oldsamara
__________________

geometarkv liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:03 AM   #1953
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1914. Construction of tram depot at the crossing of Field street and Nightingale street (now Michurin street):

samaratrans

February 25, 1915. Solemn opening of the electric tram in the depot:

oldsamara

February 25, 1915. Solemn opening of the electric tram in the depot:

oldsamara
__________________

geometarkv, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:04 AM   #1954
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1915-1917, workers of electric tram:

Pavel Novikov

1915-1917, workers of electric tram:

samaratrans

1917, first tram drivers:

oldsamara
__________________

geometarkv, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:05 AM   #1955
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1910s, tramcar in Samara:

oldsamara

1915-1918. Factory street (now Ventsek street) between Saratov street (now Frunze street) and St. Alexius Square (now Revolution Square):

oldsamara

1917, Club of Communists at Factory street (now Ventsek street):

oldsamara

1916. Tramcar at St. Alexius Square (now Revolution Square):

oldsamara
__________________

geometarkv, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:06 AM   #1956
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

1915-1919. Tramcar near crossing of Saratov street (now Frunze street) and St. John street (now Nekrasov street):

samaratrans

1915-1916. Theatre-circus "Olympus" (now Samara State Philharmonia) at the crossing of Saratov street (now Frunze street) and Leo Tolstoy street:

oldsamara

1916. Tramcar at the crossing of Saratov street (now Frunze street) and St. Alexius street (now Red Army street):

Pavel Novikov

1915, tramcar at St. Alexius street (now Red Army street):

oldsamara
__________________

geometarkv, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:07 AM   #1957
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

June 8, 1918. Czechoslovak troops at Soviet street (now Kuybyshev street). Closed line of horse-drawn tram:

oldsamara

1910s. Kolomna tramcars in the depot:

oldsamara

1920, Kolomna tramcar in the depot:

Pavel Novikov
__________________

geometarkv, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:08 AM   #1958
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

Electric and horse-drawn tram in Samara:


2007. Models of tramcars in the Museum of Tram-Trolleybus Department in Samara:

Музей ТТУ

Working place of driver in the tramcar:

Музей ТТУ

The bell of tram controller. With its help, controller gave the signal for tram driver about possibility to start the movement:

Музей ТТУ
__________________

geometarkv, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:11 AM   #1959
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

May 25, 1986. Replicas of the Kolomna tramcar (1915) and first trailer (1926):

matrokreazoth

May 25, 1986. Celebrations dedicated to the 400-anniversary of Samara's foundation:

matrokreazoth


matrokreazoth


matrokreazoth


matrokreazoth


matrokreazoth
__________________

geometarkv, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:13 AM   #1960
AlekseyVT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moscow City
Posts: 8,283
Likes (Received): 7094

February 27, 2005. City tram depot in the year of 90-anniversary of electric tram in Samara:

Дмитрий Касаткин

2009, replica of Kolomna tramcar (№12) in the city tram depot. Inscription on the stone: "On June 10 (22), 1895 in Samara was launched horse-drawn tram; on February 12 (25), 1915 - electric tram":

Mashinist

Memorial plate on the wall. "On February 25 (12), 1917 the first tramcar in our city rode from the gate №2 of tram depot in Samara":

Андрей Киняев
__________________

geometarkv, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
метро, kazan, metro, novosibirsk, samara, st. petersburg, subway, transport

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium