daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 16th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #1981
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

We talked about the development at Madison and Howard before for a bit and got an early rendering.

At first we didn't know what was going on, because what tipped off the whole thing was the demolition, which was completed months ago.

Seems cool at this point.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #1982
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

^ Ah.

Any idea when the final design will be up for review?
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #1983
jamie_hunt

Perkins perkin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBaltimore1980 View Post
They need to knock down the Perkins Homes
From a story in the Baltimore Sun today about zoning on Broadway.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...ocal-headlines

[snip]
The conflict took shape shortly after the Historic Southeastern Zoning Task Force began meeting in March 2005 as part of a citywide endeavor to revamp zoning.

More than two dozen community groups examined a swath encompassing nearly 2,000 properties from Fayette Street to the waterfront and from the Jones Falls Expressway to Patterson Park Avenue.
[snip]

Wonder if this task force considered future development of Perkins. May be too sensitive an issue. Good area for mixed use, if not an arena.

Last edited by jamie_hunt; March 16th, 2007 at 11:13 PM. Reason: preposition problems
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:18 PM   #1984
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

I would Love to see a new arena in Baltimore.
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #1985
getontrac

I seriously doubt the task force could touch them. There's too much uncertainty.

If it were up to me, I'd build that area slightly more densely than the rest of Fells and Little Italy, say 30 units per acre. That way we can get more people in the area to support services, without overwhelming the area in scale. We might forgo the alley streets for 3 and 4 story 2-family houses or multi-family apartments. About 10% Section 8er's ex-public housing and another 15% affordable and moderate income, the rest market.

No arena there, not enough traffic flow, it'd be a mess.

Nate
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:19 AM   #1986
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Check out this amendment on the City Council agenda:

Restoring Baltimore's Football Heritage
FOR the purpose of encouraging the Executive Director and the Vice President of
Exhibits of the Pro Football Hall of Fame to separate the Colts' storied Baltimore
history from the current Indianapolis franchise to more accurately reflect the team's
legacy and to pay tribute to those spectacular Hall of Famers who brought to their
Baltimore fans many years of team spirit and civic pride and left to them
bittersweet memories of balmy days spent with family and friends at the old
Memorial Stadium on 33rd Street in the heart of Baltimore City.
07-0274R Sponsors:
Robert W. Curran
RESOLUTION:
IMMEDIATE ADOPTION
Old March 17th, 2007, 06:24 AM   #1987
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
ANy news on one in the near future. I have'nt acted upon your advice yet BTW.
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #1988
scando

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmurfan View Post
Open Spaces - Why are there so many properties for lease on Charles Street?

JEN DEGREGORIO
Daily Record Business Writer
March 15, 2007 4:57 PM

The storefronts are dark inside many of the historic buildings lining Baltimore’s Charles Street, which many consider the city’s grandest thoroughfare.

There are now 10 vacancies in the four blocks between Saratoga Street and the George Washington Monument, the central corridor linking Mount Vernon with the city’s Central Business District.

Merchants and officials acknowledge the vacancies but say the area is in transition, not decline.....
In all of my years on Mt Vernon, one of the constants has been that at any given time, about 25% of the storefronts are empty. Business is never completely bad but stores are always coming and going. I have often thought that if the Mt Vernon retail strip were shorter, it would be better. If you consider the whole stretch of Charles St from Saratoga to Mt Royal, you have close to a mile of stores. If we had about 1/4 mile, they would be more concentrated, an easier walking experience and more concentrated shoppers. But, as I remarked on another thread, Mt Vernon always seems to be about 5 buildings getting better while 2 get worse.
scando no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2007, 06:35 AM   #1989
jamie_hunt

Current site question

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Questions for a planner, engineer, or architect (or someone who plays one on TV)

Suppose the city decided to, say, forgo the circus for three years, and the Baltimore Blast relocated for that time to College Park (like the old Baltimore Stars USFL team). If the current arena and its parking garage were leveled, would the block bounded by Baltimore, Howard, Lombard, and Hopkins Place be large enough for an NBA-sized arena? Large enough for an arena topped by a super-tall (or even tall)? Could Hopkins Place go temporarily underground, allowing Hopkins Plaza to be the forecourt for the arena?

If a supertall were built here, it would give the skyline as seen from the harbor the Mont Saint Michel look ... the buildings around the harbor would appear to rise up to it.

http://www.mont-saint-michel.net/

Idle speculation welcome. Forget, if ony momentarily, what the economics of something like this would look like.

Last edited by jamie_hunt; March 17th, 2007 at 06:36 AM. Reason: no "u" in "mont"
Old March 17th, 2007, 06:38 AM   #1990
scando

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Monument and Madison run parallel, east-west. Since demo in Mt. Vernon is next to impossible these days (except by neglect, as in the old Peabody Book Shop and Beer Stube on Charles Street), guess this would be on the surface parking lot on Eutaw, bounded by Madison on the north and Monument on the south. As for the architecture: eh, hard to tell from that rendering. Kind of a 70s Brutalist vibe with those slanted elements. Good transit oriented development w/ the light rail stop less than a block away.

DEPT. OF SECOND THOUGHTS: Looks like it's on the SW corner of Howard and Madison, just north of AT Jones and Sons. Think that's outside of the Mt. Vernon CHAP district, so demo (some 19c. buildings on the corner) would be involved (and allowed). Which is not to say there won't be a fight about it.

THIRD THOUGHTS: There's demo, but also infill of a surface parking lot. And it's still close to light rail. And that part of the neighborhood could use all the life it can get.
I think I remember from when this was announced a couple years ago, that it was on Howard.
scando no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #1991
scando

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Questions for a planner, engineer, or architect (or someone who plays one on TV)

Suppose the city decided to, say, forgo the circus for three years, and the Baltimore Blast relocated for that time to College Park (like the old Baltimore Stars USFL team). If the current arena and its parking garage were leveled, would the block bounded by Baltimore, Howard, Lombard, and Hopkins Place be large enough for an NBA-sized arena? Large enough for an arena topped by a super-tall (or even tall)? Could Hopkins Place go temporarily underground, allowing Hopkins Plaza to be the forecourt for the arena?

Idle speculation welcome. Forget, if ony momentarily, what the economics of something like this would look like.
I keep thinking that this would be the obvious and best solution to the arena question. I think that if they tore down the garage on the south side, used the parking lot on the east side and cantilevered the thing over the streets, it would work. Being next to the subway and light rail as well as about a dozen bus lines and lots of downtown garages that are empty at night, this is unquestionably the best location. I can't imagine it being anywhere else.
scando no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #1992
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
I keep thinking that this would be the obvious and best solution to the arena question. I think that if they tore down the garage on the south side, used the parking lot on the east side and cantilevered the thing over the streets, it would work. Being next to the subway and light rail as well as about a dozen bus lines and lots of downtown garages that are empty at night, this is unquestionably the best location. I can't imagine it being anywhere else.
I don't like it. A city the size of Baltimore should not be without any arena at all for 3 years. As inadequate as it is, the First Mariner Arena still hosts well over 100 events a year. But the question remains...where to build a new one? The best site is gone (convention center hotel).
micrip no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #1993
jamie_hunt

Not much out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
The best site is gone (convention center hotel).
Agreed. Another good site might have been south of Ravens Stadium. Like the Cleveland arena (formerly "Gund" now "Quick Loans" or something like that) built next to Jacobs Fields, it could've been a gateway into town.

Just isn't much out there. Nothing between JFX and MLK.

http://www.godowntownbaltimore.com/i...Report2006.pdf

(Download pdf and scroll to map on pages 18-19)

And acquiring properties a la Camden Yards is expensive and time-consuming and, ah, fraught. One hundred events a year for three years is a tough hit, but--against all odds--Cleveland survived without football for three years while their new stadium was built on the site of the old.
Old March 17th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #1994
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

Larry Silverstein buys another

block of Central Ave in Little Italy(near Harbor East) from warehouse to condo/retail conversions. Plans 40 condo's, 35,000 sq ft of retail, and offices. I see the portion of Central Ave in Little Italy looking like Harbor East in 3-5 years. Siverstein(Union Box Company) owns 3/4's of the street now. http://www.canalstreetmalthouse.com is his first project on Central Ave with 40 condo's(run $500,000, 2 resturaunts, bowling alley,etc..) all opening in June. Article in this weeks Baltimore Business Journal.

Last edited by fanofterps; March 17th, 2007 at 05:09 PM.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #1995
getontrac

It'd really be great to see Central a nice avenue. I don't know if it was ever nice, really! It used to have rail freight cars running on it.

I think the City plans to rebuild the streetscape on it, but they were waiting to see what would happen with the Red Line (probably nothing on Central, thankfully) to rebuild.

Nate
Old March 17th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #1996
Molo

Likes (Received): 1

Broadway

What ever happened to letting the market decide what pops up on Broadway. If they have 70 bars, are decent citizens, and can support the industry, what's wrong with that?

Take the Lexington Market district, which is somewhat similar in foot traffic. They have no bars and high crime.

My point--stop trying to plan and muck up communities that make themselves. The most popular communities usually grow from what happens naturally.

Certain sections of Canton have bars every 4 feet. I don't see laws being introduced to limit more of them there.
Molo no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #1997
getontrac

^I don't believe the Lexington Market area has high crime.

Nate
Old March 17th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #1998
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

The portion of Central Avenue

from Eastern Ave to Fleet is almost the same size at Canton Square. I could see 3 blocks of condo's, resturaunts, and retail stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
It'd really be great to see Central a nice avenue. I don't know if it was ever nice, really! It used to have rail freight cars running on it.

I think the City plans to rebuild the streetscape on it, but they were waiting to see what would happen with the Red Line (probably nothing on Central, thankfully) to rebuild.

Nate
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #1999
NewBaltimore1980

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
I don't think the area has enough traffic capacity. It would be ugly.

Baltimore St gets bad enough when there's an event and that's where we've got plently of capacity and transit.

Perkins is same as McColluh, where will they go?

Perkins is bad, but I think we need to get rid of the Gilmor Homes first, it's keeping Sandtown down. Poe Homes need riddance as well.

Nate
The perkins homes are holding back a huge amount of development in downtown and fells point.
NewBaltimore1980 no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #2000
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

http://www.godowntownbaltimore.com/p...dt/SODT_06.pdf
Check out page "6".

Closed Thread