daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 18th, 2007, 12:12 AM   #2001
Brian21

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
^I don't believe the Lexington Market area has high crime.

Nate
Yeah, Lexington Market rarely has problems with crime. I try to get down there at least a few time a month and police pretty much patrol the area regularly.

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2007, 01:13 AM   #2002

Quote:
^I don't believe the Lexington Market area has high crime.

Nate
Maybe not relative to West Baltimore, but Lexington Market has some high crime. The parking garage is used by the VA and UMD Medical as is its' metro stop. While at the VA, I knew plenty of folks who were mugged, harrassed, witnessed crimes, etc...
21230 no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #2003
getontrac

I avoid anecdotal evidence wherever possible when empirical data and statistics other wise exists, particularly regarding crime rates and trends.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:13 AM   #2004
Eerik

Likes (Received): 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21230 View Post
Maybe not relative to West Baltimore, but Lexington Market has some high crime. The parking garage is used by the VA and UMD Medical as is its' metro stop. While at the VA, I knew plenty of folks who were mugged, harrassed, witnessed crimes, etc...
The West Side does have some crime issues...and the BCPD has tried to address that problem. From more foot patrols, to kiosks and (crime) information sharing, it's become better.
Eerik no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:18 AM   #2005
Eerik

Likes (Received): 205

Quote:
I avoid anecdotal evidence wherever possible when empirical data and statistics other wise exists, particularly regarding crime rates and trends.

Nate
Empirical and statistical data are as tainted as anecdotal evidence. Reported crime can be searched in a database at http://141.157.54.34/bpdmaps/police.htm. There you can search for types of crimes.

From my experience, as well as the "anecdotal evidence" of others I know, there does seem to be a problem with larceny in downtown.
Eerik no está en línea  
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:29 AM   #2006
getontrac

I don't see how one can measure whether one is as tainted as the other given they are drastically different manifestations of reality by their very nature.

Either way, larceny is a heck of a lot different than violent crime.

Nate

Last edited by getontrac; March 19th, 2007 at 02:40 AM.
Old March 18th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #2007
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
I think so. I think the forumers have to create a banner in order to have one up there. I doubt the moderators create each and every banner. If you browse other forums, some of them have threads dedicated specifically to creating and posting new banners. Perhaps we could create one....
About a year ago, when they changed the banner size, I created and submitted one at the thread set up for that purpose.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #2008
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Speaking of markets ...

News in early Feb. that the "Marketplace at Fells Point" www.marketplaceatfellspoint.com project (Broadway Market and properties on both sides of Broadway betw. Fleet and Aliceanna) had gotten community approval (a pretty big hurdle, though more remain) didn't get much traction on this thread (post #584 was followed by ruminations about One Light Street and the Mercy townhouse demo).

Retail junkies take note, though. That project could end up being the eastern anchor of a first-rate retail street on Aliceanna, with the western anchor being Harbor East. Paterakis and Struever tag Aliceanna as "Baltimore's Main Street of Retail with 50 stores" on page 9 of their Harbor East/Harbor Point leasing brochure http://www.sber.com/downloads/HEHP_Leasing_Brochure.pdf. Lots of small retail, but footprints are (conceivably) available for larger retail. Could be a hybrid of Philly's South Street and Boston's Newberry.

The bad news is, "Baltimore's Main Street of Retail" is what Charles Street from downtown to Mt. Vernon has sought to be for the last two and half decades. Aliceanna will never have the architecture Charles Street does, but it has some of the history (working class/industrial), and it's flat, has a lot of parking and adjacent residential, and can accommodate diverse retail. Dunno if you can have two BMSRs. If Perkins Homes were ever redeveloped along the lines getontrac suggested, Aliceanna would be amazing.

Last edited by jamie_hunt; March 19th, 2007 at 12:11 AM. Reason: note page # in brochure
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2007, 02:39 AM   #2009
getontrac

We could have both, of sorts, but I don't think Aliceanna will function as "the" main retail strip. Geographically, it's poorly located with respect to the City as a whole, because it's cutoff by the water. I think it will be more niche oriented--ma and pa or superexpensive, I guess

Charles St probably has more parking nearby, although perhaps not necessarily as much at any given moment during a weekday. Charles St will always have more density, there's more opportunity for it to grow. It's better located to everything: roads, highways, transit, people. It's just the uphill thing that's part of the problem. Even sans Rochambeau, it'll come around. Really, the Westside is better "main street" reatail than Charles. Mt. Vernon is just coming later to the revitilization game than Fells Point.

Gould will sell/or build on those parking lots eventually, and that will add more density and vitality.
Old March 19th, 2007, 02:54 AM   #2010
getontrac

Looking at the Fells redevelopment project more closely, it appears to redevelop Fleet, not Aliceanna (it does Broadway, course), so this project wouldn't be a direct contributor to Aliceanna as a "main street".

Nate
Old March 19th, 2007, 03:27 AM   #2011
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Demand for affordable housing fuels developer's city condos plan
Baltimore Business Journal - March 16, 2007by Daniel J. SernovitzStaff

Baltimore-based UrbanEx Development has launched plans to convert a mid-rise Mount Vernon apartment building into an environmentally friendly, 16-unit condominium building.

The units, to include recycled countertops and bamboo flooring, will range from $125,000 to $345,000. The developers are hoping to tap into what they see as a growing demand for moderately priced housing in the downtown area at a time when Baltimore is enjoying an increase in the popularity of city living.
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:03 AM   #2012
Javalady1

Cold case, hot author

Cold case, hot author

Stephen Bedford
Vail CO, Colorado
March 18, 2007

Baltimore is a quaint city nestled along the Chesapeake Bay, renowned for its seafood, colonial history and its remarkably high crime rate.

Perhaps nobody has shined the light on Charm City's seedy underbelly more than award-winning crime writer Laura Lippman, who visits Eat! Drink! Wednesday at 5 p.m. as part of The Bookworm's visiting author series.

Lippman spares no details about her hometown, which has served as the backdrop for her dozen novels. From corrupt cops to crab cakes, stick-up kids to strolls along the city's posh Inner Harbor, devious politicians to doubleheaders at Camden Yards, Lippman makes every reader at home in Baltimore. Although enchanting on the surface, Baltimore has its share of evil, averaging nearly a homicide a day. Baltimore would annually have murder cases in the thousands if it had New York City's population.

For 12 years Lippman was a full-time reporter for The Baltimore Sun, yet still managed to release a novel a year beginning in 1997. She actually debuted with two releases that year: "Baltimore Blues" and "Charm City." Those two novels introduced Lippman's primary protagonist Tess Monaghan (who, cruelly, is allergic to shellfish), a private investigator with a penchant for precarious predicaments. The debut duo also launched Lippman's award tour, which includes virtually every known crime fiction prize such as the Agatha, the Edgar and the Gumshoe, among others.

Lippman even garnered the first-ever Baltimore City Mayor's prize for fiction in 2003, which may seem ironic since she has made a career of critiquing the city. She is quick to point out there's plenty of affection for the city within her novel's pages.

"I love Baltimore and my life here is idyllic," Lippman said. "The public schools aren't particularly good and opportunities are fewer and fewer. The difference, I guess, is that the haves and the have-nots in Baltimore, and cities like Baltimore, aren't separated by much."

Monaghan has managed to crack cases up and down the Baltimore social ladder, including a high-price attorney who pays dearly for his serial infidelities, a trio of girlfriends on the wrong side of a gun in a high school bathroom and a vigilante in the aptly-named neighborhood of Butcher's Hill.

The super sleuth takes a seat in Lippman's most recent release, "What the Dead Know," ($24.99. HarperCollins, available now). The novel represents Lippman's most ambitious work to date, featuring a multi-layered plot that unfolds across roughly three decades.

"It was very difficult and a lot of credit needs to go to the copy editor and the proofreader, both of whom did a wonderful job ensuring the book's continuity," Lippman said of the time travel across generations. "The trick, for me, was writing in a chronological order, although that wasn't the original plan. I wrote the first section, which takes place over Tuesday and Wednesday 2005, then began writing the section set in 1975.

"When I was done, I found I couldn't return to the present until I knew more," Lippman said. "So I wrote 1976, then 1983, then 1989. I felt as if I were 'cheating' because I've always been an advocate of writing straight through a draft."

"What the Dead Know" focuses on the squabbling Bethany sisters, Sunny and Heather, and their disappearance into thin air from a busy Baltimore-area mall in the mid 1970s. Every avenue of the investigation became a dead end until an ordinary Tuesday night in 2005. A woman flees the scene of a hit-and-run only to be apprehended down the road, claiming to be Heather Bethany.

The "cold case" heats up under the guidance of Kevin Infante, a Baltimore City detective, who likes his liquor hard and his women easy. Infante, a more-than capable detective if not unorthodox, discovers all the twists the case has taken during its dormancy.

Though the story's chronology became a tricky task, Lippman still used her usual formula when manufacturing the mystery.

"When writing, I generally know what I call the big secret. But I don't always know why people do what they do, or how the book's primary investigator is going to put it together," Lippman said. "I also go through many, many drafts, and with each draft, I have more control, more knowledge, so I can mislead readers where I see fit, and slip in the key details where I think they belong."

At the core of the story is the dynamic of the Bethany family. The morether, Miriam, is having an amorous affair with the head of her realty firm, meanwhile her husband, David, is a bohemian struggling to run an off-beat crafts store while alienating his adolescent daughters with his hippie tendencies, and the sisters take sibling rivalry to new heights.

"I did a lot of babysitting in the 1970s and the Bethany family is influenced by some of the things I observed," Lippman said. "Not the actual situation so much as parents of a certain age, who seemed to feel a little wistful about missing out on the big social changes of the late 1960s and early 1970s."

The publicity push of "What the Dead Know" promises to put Lippman at the forefront of the crowded suspense/crime scene, and deservedly so. It may also solidify Lippman and her husband, David Simon, as crime-creating royalty. Simon is the creator and principle writer of HBO's critically-acclaimed, highly-addictive serial drama The Wire, which focuses on city issues with the war on drugs as the underlying theme.

Both pieces of art exude affection for Baltimore, and aren't afraid to examine its faults as a microcosm of what's wrong with America. Lippman's novels also have a reputation as being an unofficial dining guide to the city, although she insisted she receives no special treatment despite her celebrity. After "What the Dead Know" she might get a table a little quicker, and not just in Baltimore.

http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20070318/AE/103180076
Javalady1 no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:04 AM   #2013
getontrac

Where is this!?!?!? What's the address!?!?!? I might have a chance!?!?!?

Seriously, by the time they did that project, it just might be within my price range!

--

Just got back from Charles Village; Olmstead site as dead as ever, so are all the streetlights on both sides of the block. Not reassuring at night from an urban sense of continuity or safety.
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:27 AM   #2014
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

They seem to have several development projects in the city. Here's the website: http://www.urbanexdevelopment.com/projects.asp
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:28 AM   #2015
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

Here is the particular project mentioned above: http://www.ten14condos.com/index.asp
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #2016
Javalady1

Quote:
Where is this!?!?!? What's the address!?!?!? I might have a chance!?!?!?

Seriously, by the time they did that project, it just might be within my price range!
This project/link was included some time ago in one of those Baltimore development pdf links. I bookmarked it at that time. It's nice to see it progress.
Javalady1 no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2007, 07:29 AM   #2017
getontrac

The chance that I will get the (only) $125,000 unit has now gone form 0% to 1%! I entered my info.

The estimated monthly payments seemed pretty low for that price. I think it may have something to do with the tax credits. (Shows how much I know about the nitty-gritty details of housing financing--all I know is to stay away from ARM, for obvious reasons).

Nate
Old March 19th, 2007, 12:54 PM   #2018
jeremai
Grade I Listed

Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
News in early Feb. that the "Marketplace at Fells Point" www.marketplaceatfellspoint.com project (Broadway Market and properties on both sides of Broadway betw. Fleet and Aliceanna) had gotten community approval (a pretty big hurdle, though more remain) didn't get much traction on this thread (post #584 was followed by ruminations about One Light Street and the Mercy townhouse demo)
This is the first I've heard of this, although life in the UK has only really just settled down enough for me to keep up with the forum again.

I really like the look of this plan. I didn't know Brodway market used to have such a grand second storey and I think it would be great to restore it to the original design.
jeremai no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2007, 01:38 PM   #2019
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

Jeremai - Good to see you back! Wada_guy here (I had to re-register). I hope things are well over there with you and yours.

I heard this at Bertha's in Fells Point this weekend:

My neighbors are getting divorced.

The Judge asked their 13 year old kid if he wanted to live with his mother?
He replied; "No she beats me".

He then asked the kid if he wants to live with his father?
He replied "No, he beats me too."

He then asked well, who do you want to live with then?
The kid replied "The Orioles. They never beat anyone!"

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Things are looking up! Has this been a Harlem free week?

Crowne Plaza Announces New Build Near Baltimore Airport

BWI Resort & Conference Center to Host Largest New Build Crowne Plaza

ATLANTA - IHG (Intercontinental Group Hotels Group) [LON: IHG, NYSE:IHG (ADRs)], the world's largest hotel group by number of rooms, today announced plans for the largest new-build Crowne Plaza in the U.S. with 300 deluxe guest rooms and suites. Located just two miles from Baltimore Washington Airport (BWI), the property will be part of a $350 million resort complex, attached to a 90,000 sq. ft. state of the art conference center featuring a 50,000 sq. ft. grand ballroom, reaffirming Crowne Plaza as the "Place to Meet." The hotel is expected to break ground later this year and open early 2009.

Situated on the campus of The Grand Isle Resort, the Crowne Plaza will also be connected to a 140,000 sq. ft. indoor aquatic center featuring the east coast's most exciting combination of water slides and attractions. Surrounded by 3.5 million sq. ft. of office space, the resort will be an oasis for the business traveler, conference attendee and family alike. Other resort components include a 200-room Hotel Indigo, 10 franchised and fine dining restaurant options, specialty retailers, full service day spa, a 25,000 sq. ft. fitness center and entertainment options located within a themed entertainment village. The restaurant and entertainment village will fill a much needed void in the market for casual upscale dining and entertainment in the Baltimore Washington Airport market.

"We are pleased to introduce The Crowne Plaza at Grand Isle Resort to the Baltimore, Maryland area. This hotel will be our largest new-build property in the U.S. We believe its convenient airport location will satisfy both business and leisure travelers," said Kevin Kowalski, vice president, Brand Management, Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts, North America. "The property will provide Baltimore guests with industry-leading meetings services and a great night's sleep through our Sleep Advantage program."

The Crowne Plaza at Grand Isle Resort is owned by ASHA Companies (http://www.ashacos.com/) and managed by American Resort Management, LLC (http://www.americanresortmanagement.com/), under a license agreement with a company in the InterContinental Hotels Group.

"We are very excited to develop the largest new-build Crowne Plaza hotel in a booming market such as the Baltimore area," said Jay Patel, CEO/CFO, ASHA Companies. "With more than 4,000 rooms in our pipeline we look forward to growing our relationship with Crowne Plaza and IHG in the years to come."

The hotel will sit on 29 acres and will be located just 11 miles south of Baltimore's Inner Harbor and just 30 miles north of Washington, D.C. Guests can take advantage of the surrounding historical Baltimore neighborhoods and numerous famed attractions.

ASHA Companies, the hotel and resort's owners, will invest over $300 million in constructing the new two tower hotel and offer guests comforting and convenient amenities including:

Concierge and executive level featuring private fitness center and loungeFitness facility, swimming pool and whirlpool Spa with multiple treatment rooms

Business CenterExecutive level with private business center offering complete remote office services such as Administrative staff, conferencing, etc...Connecting central atrium between two hotels

Standard in-room upscale amenitiesComplimentary high-speed wireless Internet accessIndoor Aquatic Center Packages Available

Multiple Dining Options Including 24 room service

Crowne Plaza Sleep Advantage Encompassing the entire sleep experience, from training staff on how to create and maintain a restful environment to providing innovative products and services

Program components include new bedding, guaranteed wake-up calls, designated quiet zones, night lights, drape clips, sleep CDs, sleep tips and amenities such as eye masks, ear plugs and lavender spray

Consistent with the Crowne Plaza brand, The hotel will offer a comprehensive meetings package to ensure a seamless planning process and an exceptional meeting experience consisting of three key components: a Two-Hour Response Guarantee, Crowne Meetings Director and a Meetings Daily Debrief. All meeting rooms feature wireless Internet access.

Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts participates in Priority Club Rewards. With more then 31 million members, Priority Club Rewards is the first, largest and fastest-growing guest loyalty program in the hotel industry. Winner of the 18th Annual Freddie Awards hotel loyalty "Program of the Year" and named "Best Hotel Rewards Program in the World" by Global Traveler magazine, Priority Club Rewards offer more sought-after benefits and the greatest ease of use of any hotel loyalty program.

Enrollment in Priority Club Rewards is free. Guests can enroll by logging on at priorityclub.com, by calling 1-888-21-9874 or by inquiring at the front desk of any of IHG's 3,700 hotels worldwide.

Crowne Plaza was recently recognized by Lodging Hospitality magazine as one of the industry's top growing brands. As part of the InterContinental Hotels Group global portfolio, Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts has nearly 260 hotels in 48 countries, and are located in major urban centers, gateway cities and resort destinations. For reservations at Crowne Plaza properties, visit http://www.crowneplaza.com/ or call 1-800-2CROWNE.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; March 19th, 2007 at 01:54 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #2020
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Looking at the Fells redevelopment project more closely, it appears to redevelop Fleet, not Aliceanna (it does Broadway, course), so this project wouldn't be a direct contributor to Aliceanna as a "main street".

Nate
Here's the view north from Aliceanna.

http://www.marketplaceatfellspoint.com/overview_nw.html

The wooden shed on the south side of Aliceanna would remain a market.

http://www.marketplaceatfellspoint.com/overview.html

"Anchor" is probably too lofty a term and "contributor" is certainly debatable, but there'd be a certain cool factor to walking down from tres moderne Harbor East and coming across the restored market building at Broadway (someone once said Mayor McKeldin was so dismayed at driving down B-way in the early 60s and seeing the second floor removed that he kicked into gear the effort to save other historic landmarks, such as the Carroll Mansion) ...

... then heading south to the harbor and back to HE via Thames and Harbor Point (some time after 2012). A good half-day's walk, taken at a leisurely pace, stopping to shop and eat.

Last edited by jamie_hunt; March 19th, 2007 at 07:28 PM.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  

Closed Thread