daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 20th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #2061
hpal3

Likes (Received): 4014

Page 2 of NY Times story

Free 14-Day TrialLog In Register Now Home Page My Times Today's Paper Video Most Popular Times Topics

Tuesday, March 20, 2007
Archives
World U.S. N.Y. / Region Business Technology Science Health Sports Opinion Arts Style Travel Jobs Real Estate Autos Focus: Baltimore; Waterfront Upgrading In Ripples
Print
Single-Page
Save
Digg
Facebook
Newsvine

By SUSAN WARNER
Published: May 25, 1986
THE next project due to open is the $15 million conversion of a seafood processing machinery plant into 56 apartments by Historical Developers of Pennsylvania, a Philadelphia-based company. The developers bought the property late last summer and it will be ready for occupancy July 1. Others have moved less smoothly. One of the first projects targeted for renovation was a former Baltimore & Ohio Railroad tobacco warehouse that was bought by the Carley Capital Group of Washington in 1983 with plans to convert it to a condominium, hotel, restaurant and marina complex. A fire gutted much of the interior in 1984 and the project has been slow to win financing. The developers, however, insist that work will begin this year.

While the initial waterfront redevelopment that began a decade ago near Harborplace and the aquarium depended heavily on public funds, the new construction is almost all privately financed, although many projects are designed to take advantage of tax incentives, including historic renovation credits.

For their part, the blue-collar residents who live in tidy row houses several blocks inland from the Canton waterfront approve of the new developments that will bring a new class of office and professional workers into the factory buildings where their parents carved out Baltimore's industrial character.

''We would rather have the jobs, but the jobs were gone long ago,'' said William J. Kelch, a community activist. ''It's a lot better than the garbage that was down there before.''

Most of the prime development sites have been bought up in the last two years, but heavy industry still hums in a few buildings, including a can factory, cement plant and food shipping terminals. Most of the owners, however, acknowledge they are likely to succumb to the pressure to sell.

Last year, a pair of local developers acquired an option on a three-story manufacturing plant next to the Tindeco building and proposed to create a gourmet food center. The owner of the property, however, decided to pass on the deal, so at least for now, air filters are still being made next to the building where $1,300-a-month penthouses are under construction.

< Previous Page1 2
hpal3 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #2062
MountVEE

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian21 View Post
Wow we're the same age.
haha. 25 is so hot right now. Maybe I should put my birthday on my profile like you guys.
MountVEE no está en línea  
Old March 20th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #2063
Hood

Likes (Received): 62

ahh, to be 25 again...
Hood no está en línea  
Old March 20th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #2064
B'moreOrioles
B'MORE LIKE CHARM CITY

Likes (Received): 2

Yes, to be 25 again.
B'moreOrioles no está en línea  
Old March 20th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #2065
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'moreOrioles View Post
me three!!!!!! 1981 must've been a special year.
1981 was a great year! I graduated from high school. sigh... I'm old.
Old March 20th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #2066
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremai View Post
Me too.
me three!!!!!! 1981 must've been a special year.

i'm so glad this rendering never came into fruition. it would've been a disaster to this city. that famous view of the harbor from federal hill that we all know and love would've been eliminated.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old March 20th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #2067
Brian21

I second that. Just looking at that old rendering makes me shudder. Thank god they didn't go forward with that.
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #2068
Hood

Likes (Received): 62

But look at all the nice pretty landscaping that would have screened the highway....
Hood no está en línea  
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #2069
pfd103
Bmore

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbaltimore View Post
But look at all the nice pretty landscaping that would have screened the highway....
It looks almost if they would need to impact the hill to put that highway in...thank god they didn't.

On another front, the GM plant on Holabird is totally demolished now. Not sure when they start building the new industrial parks, but I assume it'll start pretty quickly.

Go O's
pfd103 no está en línea  
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #2070
B'moreOrioles
B'MORE LIKE CHARM CITY

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Jeff, please don't tell me that you would actually be for this devil of a potential project. It's would've been chaos.
B'moreOrioles no está en línea  
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #2071
MountVEE

Quote:
i know! look at that HUGE park we would have had underneath the interstate exchange! what a great place to walk your dog! and think how fast we could get through town! No more pesky piers to obstruct traffic. We should have just filled in the harbor completely. Then we could have built a HUGE mall at the intersection of 70, 83, and 95!!! with tons of parking! right in the heart of downtown!!

missed opportunity if you ask me.
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #2072
MountVEE

my favorite parts are three little boats in the water with nowhere to go. I wonder if the people back then saw this as "futuristic." It's like that whole "Futurama" exibit GM did for the 1939 World's Fair. Laughable. They took away our streetcars and gave us THIS? what a joke.
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #2073
MountVEE

my favorite parts are three little boats in the water with nowhere to go. I wonder if the people back then saw this as "futuristic." It's like that whole "Futurama" exibit GM did for the 1939 World's Fair. Laughable. They took away our streetcars and gave us THIS? what a joke.

Old March 20th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #2074
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

while the above rendering is idiotic at best, I do wish there was something done to connect 83 with 95 downtown.

Shoulda been a tunnel...
cgunna no está en línea  
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #2075
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountVEE View Post
my favorite parts are three little boats in the water with nowhere to go.
They were all that was left of this little regatta at Pratt and Light.

jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #2076
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

BRAC move seen at risk
Walter Reed controversy might threaten shift of jobs to Bethesda site
By Matthew Hay Brown
Sun Reporter
Originally published March 20, 2007
WASHINGTON // Plans to expand the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda - part of a military realignment plan expected to bring thousands of jobs to Maryland - might be in jeopardy as a result of the controversy over medical care at the Walter Reed Army hospital, according to members of the state's congressional delegation.

The House of Representatives is expected to consider a measure this week that would keep Walter Reed Army Medical Center open. If approved, it could delay or cancel plans to move Walter Reed's existing operations, and nearly 1,900 workers, from the District of Columbia to Maryland.

The $2 billion expansion of the Bethesda Naval Medical Center is a key element of the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) process, which is expected to bring 40,000 to 60,000 new jobs to Maryland over the next five years.

A proposal to block the Bush administration from closing Walter Reed has been written into a $124 billion spending measure expected to be taken up Thursday by the House.

"Whether or not [expansion at Bethesda] is going to happen down the road, right now the best thing that we can say is that it's on hold until we stabilize the situation with the care of the troops," said Rep. C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger, who voted for the measure to keep Walter Reed open at a House Appropriations Committee meeting last week.

The proposal to block the closing of Walter Reed follows revelations of poor conditions at the medical center, a premier Army hospital for wounded soldiers returning from Iraq. Military officials have blamed the problems in part on a reluctance to invest in the facility after it was slated to be closed in 2011.

Ruppersberger said backers of the measure were "attempting to get the attention of the Department of Defense."

"The whole BRAC process is for efficiencies and to hopefully come into the new age as far as modern technology," the Baltimore County Democrat said. "But as it turned out, it didn't work, and we don't want any excuse. Our highest priority is to take care of those men and women who have come back from Iraq."

Merger decision
The base-closure commission voted in 2005 to merge the existing hospitals at Walter Reed and Bethesda into a new, 340-bed facility at Bethesda. It would be called Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, in honor of the storied Army hospital.

Congress has never reversed a decision of a base-closure commission. The process was set up to minimize political pressure on basing decisions.

The Bush administration is cool to the idea of revisiting the plan to close Walter Reed.

"We respect the BRAC process, and it is a rational process," said deputy White House press secretary Tony Fratto, adding that the administration is waiting for recommendations from a president's commission and other panels examining veterans' care before endorsing an alternative.

One former BRAC participant said a vote to keep Walter Reed open would undermine the entire process.

"The whole reason that Congress created the BRAC law and made an unprecedented grant of its own authority to an independent commission was to avoid exactly that problem - that no matter what base the administration tried to close, there were congressmen who wanted to keep it open," said Jeremiah Gertler, a senior analyst for the 1995 BRAC Commission.

"If there were an attempt to keep Walter Reed open, I suspect that other members would try the same tack with their bases," Gertler said.

The reversal is far from certain, at least as part of the push this month to approve emergency spending for the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. But with consensus on the proposal growing, it appears likely to resurface.

"I am very concerned about the timing of a Walter Reed closure, given the current strain on patient care for our soldiers," Democratic Sen. Barbara A. Mikulski said yesterday through a spokeswoman.

Undecided
Rep. Chris Van Hollen, the Montgomery County Democrat whose district includes Bethesda, said he had not determined the best course of action regarding the move.

"I think this requires an overall assessment of what is best for our wounded soldiers at Walter Reed and an assessment of what makes sense in the future," Van Hollen said.

"Obviously, the BRAC commission believed that it was in the interests of the military health care system to consolidate their operations at Bethesda. But there may be a short-term desire to delay the move, given the fact that you have lots of wounded soldiers there now," he said.

Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton had submitted legislation to keep Walter Reed open before the idea was written into the emergency spending measure.

The D.C. Democrat claimed the proposal would have "no impact" on Bethesda - because the move wasn't going to happen anyway.

"From the day Walter Reed made the BRAC list, there was absolutely no chance that Congress would come up with two or three billion in the middle of a war to spend on a new hospital," she said.

Army 'trapped'
Gertler, the former BRAC analyst, questioned whether the measure could be obeyed.

"The problem is that the Army is getting trapped between the irresistible force and the immovable object," he said.

"There is a law on the books now that says Walter Reed must be closed," he said. "If the appropriators pass a law saying that the Army may not spend any money to close Walter Reed, then the Army is stuck trying to decide which law it's going to obey."

The appropriate way to reverse the closure, Gertler said, would be to repeal the law.

In Bethesda, preparations for the expansion continue. Officials at the National Naval Medical Center are working now on an environmental impact statement, a draft of which is to be released in June.

"We have heard of no changes in terms of BRAC and executing BRAC here," spokesman Brian Badura said. "Until we get a change ... in terms of executing the BRAC law, we will proceed as we've been directed in the past."

[email protected]
-----------------------

uh-oh, doesn't sound too good.
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #2077
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Extreme sports tour coming to Baltimore
Baltimore Business Journal - 11:04 AM EDT Tuesday, March 20, 2007by Ryan SharrowStaff

For four days this summer, Baltimore will be transformed into a skateboard and motocross rider's paradise.

Charm City is one of five locations selected to host the ASPT Dew Tour as part of its 2007 schedule, which could result in thousands of visitors and millions of dollars in economic impact.

The tour, which is co-owned by NBC Universal and Live Nation, includes skateboarding, BMX biking, and freestyle motocross, and features live music performances. Some of the events are broadcast on NBC and the USA Network.

The event in Baltimore, dubbed the Panasonic Open, will take place June 21 to 24 in parking lots B and C between Oriole Park at Camden Yards and M&T Bank Stadium. Officials from the Maryland Stadium Authority expect attendance numbers to reach 50,000. The Baltimore Orioles will be on the road during those dates.

The Panasonic Open will be the first stop on the five-month tour. Cleveland, Portland, Ore., Salt Lake City, and Orlando, Fla., are the other cities chosen to host the event.

In February, the Business Journal reported that officials from the tour had narrowed down the event's 2007 leadoff site to Louisville, Ky., and Baltimore.

Wade Martin, the ASPT Dew Tour's general manager, told the SportsBusiness Journal, a sister publication of the Baltimore Business Journal, in February that the choice between Louisville and Baltimore means "weighing the known versus a desire to expand geographically a bit and get into the East Coast."

Louisville's two-year contract with the tour expired last fall.

A report issued in July by the Frankort-based Kentucky Sports Authority said the 2006 tour visit generated $2.8 million in economic impact and attracted about 41,000 fans and 350 athletes.
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #2078
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

BTW, wada, I'll be sending you some, "Newberry", material via snailmail tomorrow. Hope you enjoy it.
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #2079
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
while the ... rendering is idiotic at best, I do wish there was something done to connect 83 with 95 downtown.
Shoulda been a tunnel...
The vision 50 years ago:

At one point in the 70s, an alignment for 83 was proposed that would have had it enter a harbor tunnel around Little Italy. The tunnel would have looped just off-shore of Fells Point, coming back to land in Canton and joining 95 just past Ed Hale's place.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old March 20th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #2080
HAudidoody

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
while the above rendering is idiotic at best, I do wish there was something done to connect 83 with 95 downtown.

Shoulda been a tunnel...
I kind of agree. I hate unfinished freeways. Would be neat to have a tunnel connecting 70 with 95 and 83 with 395.
HAudidoody no está en línea  

Closed Thread