daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 20th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #2081
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAudidoody View Post
I kind of agree. I hate unfinished freeways. Would be neat to have a tunnel connecting 70 with 95 and 83 with 395.
considering where 70 ends today, where would a tunnel be possible to connect it to 95?
cgunna no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #2082
HAudidoody

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
considering where 70 ends today, where would a tunnel be possible to connect it to 95?
Not just a tunnel, just the part closer to downtown

Clear-cut Leakin Park, fine with me.
HAudidoody no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:08 AM   #2083
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

We'd be Detroit or the Bronx if we had built all those highways...thank God. One good thing Baltimore did, by not doing.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:11 AM   #2084
getontrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAudidoody View Post
Not just a tunnel, just the part closer to downtown

Clear-cut Leakin Park, fine with me.

Don't you know where I work!!!!!??????

What a waste of money all that was.....highways tunnels--RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE--talk about subways.

Priorities...priorities.....

Nate
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:30 AM   #2085
BRBaltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerik View Post
The problem with Harford Run, as with the Jones Falls, is that with the exception of a prolonged rain, the stream smells pretty bad.

While the Jones Falls was covered up in the early 1900s, Canal Street wasn’t covered up until the mid 1950s.

I can’t imagine any benefit of opening us that urban sewer. The Jones Falls, perhaps, but not Central Avenue.
There wasn't any odor when portions of the stream were uncovered a few years ago for the city to repair the supports under Central Avenue, but I suppose it would have to be well maintained and kept clean to prevent it from becoming an eyesore.
BRBaltimore no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:25 AM   #2086
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

Tunnel connection doesnt make much since from 83 to 395. Why would someone spend two bucks, or however much it costs when it would be completed when it takes less than 10 minutes from lombard to light to conway. Where would the toll plaza go? If it did actually get some traffic volume, it would probably take LONGER to reach 95 via tunnel.
House3780 no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:41 AM   #2087
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Daylighting Harford Run under Central Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBaltimore View Post
I suppose it would have to be well maintained and kept clean to prevent it from becoming an eyesore.
If Central were wide enough to create this http://www.urbanitebaltimore.com/sub...&articleID=569 daylighting Harford Run would be worth the investment. Otherwise, a tree-lined median (if that's even possible over a stream) or sidewalks wide enough for a double row of trees would be good.

Of course, the Jones Falls south of Eager would be wide enough ...
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:51 AM   #2088
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
What a waste of money all that was.....highways tunnels--RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE--talk about subways.

Nate
[snip] The extension of I-70 [through Leakin Park] into the city was cancelled, and the federal highway funds allocated were transferred to fully fund the Owings Mills extension (Section B) of the Baltimore Metro rapid rail transit line. [snip]

Excerpted from: "Roads to the Future: Baltimore Early Expressway Planning"
Copyright © 1998-2003 by Scott Kozel

http://www.roadstothefuture.com/Balt...xpwy_Plan.html

Love a happy ending [snif]
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:21 AM   #2089
getontrac

^Gotta love Willie Don for something......

Of course, deciding to build a station beneath the Jones Falls probably didn't give us the best bang for the buck on Section "C"......

Nate
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:24 AM   #2090
Balmurfan

Likes (Received): 308

There is a down side to not having mass transit after all

City's bid for corporate HQ lost in traffic

Atlanta's traffic has gotten so bad that it helped cost the region a Fortune 500 headquarters.

Just over a year ago, MeadWestvaco Corp. (NYSE: MWV), a $6.5 billion packaging conglomerate formerly based in Stamford, Conn., decided on Richmond, Va., for its new $100 million base of operations and up to 1,000 headquarters jobs.

I wonder if Baltimore did anything to attract MeadWestvaco Corp to the city?
Balmurfan no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:40 AM   #2091
getontrac

I walked around Calvert and Lombard and did not see anything going on. I may have missed something, but it didn't appear as though visible work was being done. One of the buildings had wooden planks over some entrances and windows, I think.

Also, there appears to be one of the Mercy townhomes still intact, I was down there today (rotator cuff check-up) and saw one of the smaller houses that faced south still standing and not gutted in any way visible from the outside. It abuts the walkway at the western base of the Calvert St garage.

Strange.

Nate
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:16 AM   #2092
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
I walked around Calvert and Lombard and did not see anything going on. I may have missed something, but it didn't appear as though visible work was being done. One of the buildings had wooden planks over some entrances and windows, I think.

Also, there appears to be one of the Mercy townhomes still intact, I was down there today (rotator cuff check-up) and saw one of the smaller houses that faced south still standing and not gutted in any way visible from the outside. It abuts the walkway at the western base of the Calvert St garage.

Strange.

Nate
yeah, very.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:29 AM   #2093
MtVernator
Baltimore Native

No tunnels. Give me an amazing subway system instead!
MtVernator no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:10 AM   #2094
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Quote:

Strange.

Nate
My wife fell over two weeks ago and dislocated her shoulder. She did not have a torn rotator cuff. She chipped a bone, though. She has to wear this brace for 2 more weeks, then therapy. Very painful experience. She is out of work for at least 4 weeks. That hurts.
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:08 AM   #2095
MountVEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtVernator View Post
No tunnels. Give me an amazing subway system instead!
I agree. I just want the red line and the yellow line. the blue line sucks and doesn't go anywhere.
MountVEE no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:37 AM   #2096
getontrac

^If all we get is the Red and Yellow Lines done before I die, I'll be happy. It'll happen, if they are the same line .

The "Blue" Line (it wishes it could have a color to hide it's true nature), does suck, and will forever suck, and forever go to many irrelavent destinations.

Nate

(Alright, I'll try to be nicer, sorry Willie)
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:53 AM   #2097
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
[snip] The extension of I-70 [through Leakin Park] into the city was cancelled, and the federal highway funds allocated were transferred to fully fund the Owings Mills extension (Section B) of the Baltimore Metro rapid rail transit line. [snip]

Excerpted from: "Roads to the Future: Baltimore Early Expressway Planning"
Copyright © 1998-2003 by Scott Kozel

http://www.roadstothefuture.com/Balt...xpwy_Plan.html

Love a happy ending [snif]
That guys site is the be all and end all for local highway transit history.

Your 83 to 95 tunnel became the 795 extension.

Unfortunetly we don't have any approved 90% fed funded highway projects left to trade in for a subway. Most of the intial cost of the DC subway was from cancelled highways.

Last edited by Maudibjr; March 21st, 2007 at 07:01 AM. Reason: more tasty info
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:54 AM   #2098
Maudibjr
Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
Didnt the city recently tear down the old ghost ramps were 70 was to hit 95 at canton ave?
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:59 AM   #2099
Maudibjr
Indeed

Take this as anecdotal evidence, but a friend of mine bought a house in the Hollins market area in 2001 for <40k (this was literally all he could afford), we made fun of him for living in a shady area. But he said he had no problems, did some very minor repairs (no house flipper he) and sold it in 2006 for <110,000.
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:04 AM   #2100
Eerik

Likes (Received): 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
If Central were wide enough to create this http://www.urbanitebaltimore.com/sub...&articleID=569 daylighting Harford Run would be worth the investment. Otherwise, a tree-lined median (if that's even possible over a stream) or sidewalks wide enough for a double row of trees would be good.

Of course, the Jones Falls south of Eager would be wide enough ...
Harford Run is barely even a stream; it is generally dry unless it rains. The only reason water is down there at all is from the harbor water that back-flushes into the canal.

Jones Falls is a legitimate stream; while I would have no problems seeing it opened up south of Penn Station, but keep in mind the main reason it was covered up in the first place: flooding.

As to wastewater improvements, sure, that will help remedy a significant portion of pollutants, but the stream still flows thorough urban areas, and with reduced turbidity, it always will have a stale odor, at best...
Eerik no está en línea  

Closed Thread