daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 21st, 2007, 07:06 AM   #2101
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

sorry to hear that steven
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:07 AM   #2102
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

I really don't see the point in daylighting completely urbanized rivers/streams. They are so compromised anyway. Flood control is more important.

Save the untainted and salvagable. Stop sprawl. End of story.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:10 AM   #2103
getontrac

Sounds worse than mine, Steven.

I hope her a speedy recovery. My life has been severely limited in activities to allow healing. That's why you may have noticed I've been on here much more lately!

Nate
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:33 AM   #2104
Eerik

Likes (Received): 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
[snip] The extension of I-70 [through Leakin Park] into the city was cancelled, and the federal highway funds allocated were transferred to fully fund the Owings Mills extension (Section B) of the Baltimore Metro rapid rail transit line. [snip]

Excerpted from: "Roads to the Future: Baltimore Early Expressway Planning"
Copyright © 1998-2003 by Scott Kozel

http://www.roadstothefuture.com/Balt...xpwy_Plan.html

Love a happy ending [snif]
I’m not saying I was ever in favor of the original I-70 route, but what really bothers me more now is what we’re left with: a complete and utter waste. We’re talking about a 3.4-mile missing link…

Sure, the natural beauty of Leakin Park was protected, but couldn’t someone (anyone) voice his or her protest sooner (like during the condemnation and demolition process where hundreds of families were being dislocated)?

I’d almost lobby for a completion of the missing I-70 link through Leakin Park. What we have now is a double whammy: destroyed and disconnected neighborhoods in West Baltimore, untold wasted federal monies, and still no connection between Woodlawn and downtown.

Completed, at least we’d see some utility from our investment…
Eerik no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:54 AM   #2105
getontrac

We at least have the 1-mile, graded ROW for transit in the median. Then we can fill the damn thing in and do something nice (so long as we keep the MLK bypass ).

Nate
Old March 21st, 2007, 10:51 AM   #2106
micrip

Likes (Received): 1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudibjr View Post
Didnt the city recently tear down the old ghost ramps were 70 was to hit 95 at canton ave?
Yes I believe so. I think the stubs are still visible, if you look hard enough.

I don't think we need any more freeway access to downtown. Unless traffic is gridlocked, anyone coming via I-70 can head south on 695 to 95, then 395 into downtown. Today, I would not be in favor of bulldozing Leakin Park for asphalt.
micrip no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:07 PM   #2107
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
BTW, wada, I'll be sending you some, "Newberry", material via snailmail tomorrow. Hope you enjoy it.
Can't wait. I'm always looking for new places to visit, explore, and learn about. How tall is the highest building in Newberry (excluding steeples and water towers)? I'm going to guess 4 stories?

So sorry to hear about your wife. I'm sure that when she is unhappy, you are too. Tell her we all said to get well soon!

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; March 21st, 2007 at 01:23 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:11 PM   #2108
30 Floors Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
I walked around Calvert and Lombard and did not see anything going on. I may have missed something, but it didn't appear as though visible work was being done. One of the buildings had wooden planks over some entrances and windows, I think.

Also, there appears to be one of the Mercy townhomes still intact, I was down there today (rotator cuff check-up) and saw one of the smaller houses that faced south still standing and not gutted in any way visible from the outside. It abuts the walkway at the western base of the Calvert St garage.

Strange.

Nate
Well the boarded up doors and windows were not on the two buildings last week. And the dumpsters in the alley weren't being filled last week. So they are doing something. Why would they be doing anything if they are going to be demolished for a high rise? Could it be asbestos removal? If they are doing that, there should be a notification sign but I didn't have time to look closely.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; March 21st, 2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:33 PM   #2109
MtVernator
Baltimore Native

The article in the Baltimore Sun said something about keeping one of the houses to be incorporated into the new building. It is to be used as a museum according to the article.
MtVernator no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:44 PM   #2110
30 Floors Up

A suggestion to the task force redesigning Rash Field:

Include a professionally designed skateboarding park and BMX Bike park. You could probably get the companies that make the boards and bikes to help foot the bill.

Something like this is what a city like New York or San Francisco would have. These types of sports are what kids are into today and some of them are incredibly talented. If you have ever watched it on TV, you know hat I mean. They are all over the harbor area now. Give them a good place to play.

I think a park like this would be a tourist attraction in it's self. It would draw people to what is probably the most underutilized part of the Inner Harbor.
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:51 PM   #2111
Hood

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'moreOrioles View Post
Jeff, please don't tell me that you would actually be for this devil of a potential project. It's would've been chaos.
Oh no. My sarcasm font was turned off for my statement. I find it comical how the rendering shows these trees whe we all know what the land looks like under a highway. This would have been disasterous.
Hood no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:39 PM   #2112
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
Can't wait. I'm always looking for new places to visit, explore, and learn about. How tall is the highest building in Newberry (excluding steeples and water towers)? I'm going to guess 4 stories?

So sorry to hear about your wife. I'm sure that when she is unhappy, you are too. Tell her we all said to get well soon!
Close. It's 5 stories. The "Parr Building" on College and Main Streets in beautiful 'Downtown Newberry!'
The Newberry Magazine has an aerial of the Downtown area. Even though the "Parr Building" is the tallest by floor count and about 70 ft. tall in total height, the "World Famous Newberry Opera House" is the main attraction in town and tallest structure. I believe it's 115 ft. tall or so. Very nice architecture. French Gothic late 19th century. Beautiful on the inside too. A lot of big acts come to the Opera House here. Seating is small though. It holds, I believe, around 500 people. It's our version of the Hippodrome. It is surrounded by several very nice, elegant and expensive restaurants; Steven W's (believe it or not it's not how I got my nickname here on this forum AND no, I do not own it. If I did I would be very wealthy), Delatmaters, the Cabana, etc,.
One great thing that is happening to Newberry is that one very wealthy man has moved here and is developing and refurbishing the properties all along the Main street area. Very nice work. One day I'll have to get down there again and take some updated pix of the changes.

And thank you Wada and all of you for wishing Karen, (my wife), a good speedy recovery. Yes, when she is hurt it does make me sad too. Plus, I'm working extra hard after work to help her around the house and other things.
But I don't mind. Can't wait till she gets better though.

Old March 21st, 2007, 03:43 PM   #2113
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
A suggestion to the task force redesigning Rash Field:

Include a professionally designed skateboarding park and BMX Bike park. You could probably get the companies that make the boards and bikes to help foot the bill.

Something like this is what a city like New York or San Francisco would have. These types of sports are what kids are into today and some of them are incredibly talented. If you have ever watched it on TV, you know hat I mean. They are all over the harbor area now. Give them a good place to play.

I think a park like this would be a tourist attraction in it's self. It would draw people to what is probably the most underutilized part of the Inner Harbor.
Now you're thinking like me, wada!
I've always wanted something like this for Baltimore.
It really does raise Baltimore's cool factor up a good bit.
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:46 PM   #2114
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbaltimore View Post
Oh no. My sarcasm font was turned off for my statement. I find it comical how the rendering shows these trees whe we all know what the land looks like under a highway. This would have been disasterous.
Believe it or not, I always look for sarcasm in someone's statement before I totally take it as a serious statement.
I got your sarcasm. Was pretty funny, too.
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:49 PM   #2115
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
Sounds worse than mine, Steven.

I hope her a speedy recovery. My life has been severely limited in activities to allow healing. That's why you may have noticed I've been on here much more lately!

Nate
Thank you, Nate.
Yes, I've noticed your more frequent posts. And I must say, barring your pain and time off of work, I, and I'm sure others, have really enjoyed your posts.
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:50 PM   #2116
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
A suggestion to the task force redesigning Rash Field: Include a professionally designed skateboarding park and BMX Bike park. You could probably get the companies that make the boards and bikes to help foot the bill.
30 Floors, e-mail: Hord Coplan Macht, Inc. (Carol Macht, ASLA); PB Americas, Inc./Halvorson Design Partnership, Inc. (Gerald Jannetti, P.E.); Timothy Haahs & Associates, Inc./EDSA (Timothy Haahs, P.E.); Whitman, Requardt & Associates, LLP/Mahan Rykiel Associates (David McCormick, AIA); and Ziger/Snead Architects & Thomas Balsley Associates (Steve Ziger, AIA)

They were the five finalists chosen March 8 to compete for the RF redesign. Press release top right corner of the BDC website http://www.baltimoredevelopment.com/ has more info.

The RFP they responded to http://www.baltimoredevelopment.com/...d%201-2-07.pdf stipulates "flexible recreational spaces/programming spaces inclusive of existing uses such as the volleyball courts, trapeze school, running tracks, ice skating rink, and the Volvo Ocean Race" Skate park could at least occupy the rink space during the spring, summer, and fall.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:00 PM   #2117
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreborn1 View Post
sorry to hear that steven
Thank you.
What was really bad about her incident was that I was not at home at the time she fell. She was cooking and slipped on some egg yoke. She fell violently. Face first! She was knocked out. The toaster oven was on. When she woke up she couldn't move at first. She seen that the toaster and the bread in it were on fire. She forced herself to get up with her seperated shoulder and all the pain and she had to put the fire out!
The house was full of smoke. I was at the store getting some needed food for Dinner when I got a call over the intercom to "come to the service desk you have an emergency call". I got there and it was a friend of mine that told me that Karen had fell at the house and was in great pain and she was about to pass out. I didn't know what happened, how it happened, or what condition she was in. I dropped the food in my hand and ran to my truck. I was about 4 miles away! You never seen an S-10 move as fast as mine did that day! I got there and the house was all full of smoke, as I said earlier, and she was crying and yelling in great pain. I carefully took her to the hospital's emergency room. She did not want and ambulance to get her. Go figure. I wasn't going to argue. Anyway, she got there. They gave her some morphine, took x-rays and finally put her shoulder back into place.
Well, there you have it. Now you have the whole story.
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:05 PM   #2118
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
30 Floors, e-mail: Hord Coplan Macht, Inc. (Carol Macht, ASLA); PB Americas, Inc./Halvorson Design Partnership, Inc. (Gerald Jannetti, P.E.); Timothy Haahs & Associates, Inc./EDSA (Timothy Haahs, P.E.); Whitman, Requardt & Associates, LLP/Mahan Rykiel Associates (David McCormick, AIA); and Ziger/Snead Architects & Thomas Balsley Associates (Steve Ziger, AIA)

They were the five finalists chosen March 8 to compete for the RF redesign. Press release top right corner of the BDC website http://www.baltimoredevelopment.com/ has more info.

The RFP they responded to http://www.baltimoredevelopment.com/...d%201-2-07.pdf stipulates "flexible recreational spaces/programming spaces inclusive of existing uses such as the volleyball courts, trapeze school, running tracks, ice skating rink, and the Volvo Ocean Race" Skate park could at least occupy the rink space during the spring, summer, and fall.
If it was a private business running this proposed skatepark, it might do better than a city runned venue. I would think the biggest hurdle would be the big insurance issue.
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:11 PM   #2119
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Baltimore to welcome Dew Tour with open arms
Mar 21, 2007 3:00 AM (5 hrs ago)
by Dave Carey , The Examiner

(Courtesy photo)
Buck Lasek, a Baltimore native, is a standout skateboarder on the ASPT Dew Tour that is scheduled to come to Charm City in late June. BALTIMORE - Baltimore is doing the Dew.

This summer, the Action Sports Pro Tour Dew Tour will come to Charm City from June 21 to 24, the Maryland Stadium Authority announced at a news conference Tuesday. The Panasonic Open will be the event’s title, serving as first of five stops on the Dew Tour over the summer and fall.

The event itself is expect to be held in lots B and C in front of M&T Bank Stadium, part of the Camden Yards Sports Complex.

And the tour will be all about impact, both at the event and throughout the city.

“Events like this one that promote young people to come into the downtown are overall positive for two levels,” said Mike Evitts, spokesman for the Downtown Partnership. “One, it provides direct economic benefits like ticket sales, hotel rooms, eating out and shopping. But two, it also exposes Baltimore to the next generation of downtown residents and consumers.”

“With a history of athletic greatness and a strong sports community, Maryland has the facilities, the culture and the people to make this stop on the Dew Tour a success,” Gov. Martin O’Malley said in a statement.

Owned by NBC Universal and Live Nation, a concert and entertainment venue management company, ATSP consists of nontraditional athletes executing tricks and routines on motorbikes, bicycles and skateboards.

In its third year, the Dew Tour is the most-watched and attended action sports property in the world, with 2006 attendance totaling nearly 250,000, and about 38 million average viewers tuning in each year to watch the events on NBC and USA cable network.

“We want to show people up and down the East Coast how vibrant, alive and great downtown Baltimore is,” Evitts said. “We don’t want people here for the weekend; we want them back.”

[email protected]
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:18 PM   #2120
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Wada, the package is in the mail and should be there in a few days, hopefully.

Closed Thread