daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 22nd, 2007, 05:16 AM   #2141
scando

Likes (Received): 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Sources: Police to rock Baltimore as part of Virgin Festival
Baltimore Business Journal - 3:12 PM EDT Wednesday, March 21, 2007by Julekha DashStaff

Legendary rock band The Police will play in Baltimore Aug. 4 as part of the city's Virgin Festival lineup, according to sources familiar with the event.

Landing the Police, the platinum-selling group led by vocalist Sting that dissolved in the mid-1980s and recently announced a reunion, will be a coup for the city. Virgin Festival promoters are expected to make a formal announcement about the event, which will be held over two days in August at Pimlico Race Course, Thursday morning in New York. The announcement will include at least two other headline bands who will play at Pimlico....
Cool. Last year's festival was a flawed but fun day. They did not sell out but attendance was pretty decent. When I saw that they had scheduled 2 festivals in Canada in September, I thought that Baltimore was out of the running. Instead I see that it will be 2 days this year. Now for the rest of the line-up.
scando no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2007, 07:55 AM   #2142
MountVEE

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
Cool. Last year's festival was a flawed but fun day. They did not sell out but attendance was pretty decent. When I saw that they had scheduled 2 festivals in Canada in September, I thought that Baltimore was out of the running. Instead I see that it will be 2 days this year. Now for the rest of the line-up.
Awesome!! I thought last years should have been two days. I had an incredible time last year. I saw no flaws. It was all bands I was dying to see and I even saw the notorious Richard Branson there!!! Bring it On! I'm buying tickets again. Lets hope it's a bright sunny day this year.
MountVEE no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:18 PM   #2143
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountVEE View Post
Awesome!! I thought last years should have been two days. I had an incredible time last year. I saw no flaws. It was all bands I was dying to see and I even saw the notorious Richard Branson there!!! Bring it On! I'm buying tickets again. Lets hope it's a bright sunny day this year.
I thought I read in the Sun a few months ago, that Baltimore had been selected to be the permanent US home of the festival.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:34 PM   #2144
Hood

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpreston02 View Post
Drawing people from harbor place is key. When you say "not commercial" does that mean the city wants no retail at all, or are we talking just not another harborplace? Wouldn't a restuarant and maybe a few shops be a welcome addition to the area? How else would you draw people down there on a consistent basis?

I see Rash field as large enough to sustain a little retail while at the same time making the park a pedestrian gateway from the Inner harbor to Federal hill Park and simultaneously supporting the festivals and activities of the inner harbor. The beach volleyball, while nice, can go; IMHO. It takes up too much space for the benefit of too few people.
We have a retail component on one side of the harbor so we felt that we needed to have the "anti" harbroplace to provide a different experience to enjoy. Our team includes not only planners but retail designers who are trained to draw people's interest to a certain location based on what it looks like and then design features that will keep them there. There will be some art, even some living art as we have the person who was behind the technical creation of the crown fountain that is in millineum park. He lives in canton so its perfect and a great opportunity to bring something spetacular and world class to our city.
Hood no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 02:09 PM   #2145
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbaltimore View Post
There will be some art, even some living art as we have the person who was behind the technical creation of the crown fountain that is in millineum park. He lives in canton so its perfect and a great opportunity to bring something spectacular and world class to our city.
Good to know. Always liked the art around the IH; after 9/11, Mark di Suvero's "Under One Sky" next to our World Trade Center seemed especially appropriate, with kids of all races playing together around the propeller (Unfortunately, kids have since been "landscaped" away from the sculpture, perhaps for liability reasons).

Anyway, Millennium Park in Chicago and Post Office Square in Boston seem like good examples to follow for Rash Field. The Kapoor "Bean," er, "Cloud Gate" in MP is a lot of fun http://www.millenniumpark.org/artand...loud_gate.html
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 03:15 PM   #2146
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Teens tell mayor what Baltimore City needs

by Stephen Janis, The Examiner
Font Size: a a A A
Current rank: # 142 of 22,889

BALTIMORE (Map) - Close to 200 teenagers gathered Tuesday evening at City Hall to let Mayor Sheila Dixon know what they believe needs to be done to make Baltimore safer. Sitting in a packed room across from Council Chambers, the students and the mayor had a no-holds-bar discussion of what is wrong — and right — about the city

“The crime scene is on North Avenue,” said 18-year-old Chris Goodman, a recent graduate of City College, referring to Baltimore City Schools headquarters at 200 E. North Ave. “The current state of city schools is unacceptable. They need to be fixed, and you need to hold the politicians, who let this happen, responsible.”

Dixon listened patiently, then asked for solutions.

Marcus Payne, 17, said his community has had problems with police, who keep making what he called unnecessary arrests.

“We need sensitivity training for police,” he said. “Then, they need to learn how to work with the community and do away with zero tolerance.”

Joan Edwards, 14, said the city needs more mentoring programs to help students develop small businesses.

“We need to help young people become entrepreneurs,” she said, before presenting the mayor with a gift basket she made during an after-school program called Street Soldiers, which helps students learn about starting businesses.

The second in a series of emergency community meetings called by Dixon in response to the city’s rising homicide rate, this one purposely targeted Baltimore’s younger residents.

“I want to learn from young people how to make the community safer,” she said.

Suggestions ranged from confiscating “flags” (handkerchiefs worn by students that represent gang colors) to offering more after-school programs.

Even the recent dirt-bike arrest and handcuffing of 7-year-old Gerard Mongo Jr. was mentioned as an example of flawed police strategies.

For Goodman, who is organizing a protest outside school headquarters this morning, the meeting was just the beginning of an effort to get students more involved in improving the city.

“The key for young people is to organize and hold people accountable,” he said. “Then we’ll see change.”

[email protected]
Old March 22nd, 2007, 03:26 PM   #2147
Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore

Likes (Received): 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Teens tell mayor what Baltimore City needs

by Stephen Janis, The Examiner
Font Size: a a A A
Current rank: # 142 of 22,889

BALTIMORE (Map) - Close to 200 teenagers gathered Tuesday evening at City Hall to let Mayor Sheila Dixon know what they believe needs to be done to make Baltimore safer. Sitting in a packed room across from Council Chambers, the students and the mayor had a no-holds-bar discussion of what is wrong — and right — about the city

“The crime scene is on North Avenue,” said 18-year-old Chris Goodman, a recent graduate of City College, referring to Baltimore City Schools headquarters at 200 E. North Ave. “The current state of city schools is unacceptable. They need to be fixed, and you need to hold the politicians, who let this happen, responsible.”

Dixon listened patiently, then asked for solutions.

Marcus Payne, 17, said his community has had problems with police, who keep making what he called unnecessary arrests.

“We need sensitivity training for police,” he said. “Then, they need to learn how to work with the community and do away with zero tolerance.”

Joan Edwards, 14, said the city needs more mentoring programs to help students develop small businesses.

“We need to help young people become entrepreneurs,” she said, before presenting the mayor with a gift basket she made during an after-school program called Street Soldiers, which helps students learn about starting businesses.

The second in a series of emergency community meetings called by Dixon in response to the city’s rising homicide rate, this one purposely targeted Baltimore’s younger residents.

“I want to learn from young people how to make the community safer,” she said.

Suggestions ranged from confiscating “flags” (handkerchiefs worn by students that represent gang colors) to offering more after-school programs.

Even the recent dirt-bike arrest and handcuffing of 7-year-old Gerard Mongo Jr. was mentioned as an example of flawed police strategies.

For Goodman, who is organizing a protest outside school headquarters this morning, the meeting was just the beginning of an effort to get students more involved in improving the city.

“The key for young people is to organize and hold people accountable,” he said. “Then we’ll see change.”

[email protected]
The kids make some really good suggestions in this article. It's going to be interesting to see how Sheila Dixon responds to these requests.

Last edited by Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore; March 22nd, 2007 at 03:33 PM.
Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 03:35 PM   #2148
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Good to know. Always liked the art around the IH; after 9/11, Mark di Suvero's "Under One Sky" next to our World Trade Center seemed especially appropriate, with kids of all races playing together around the propeller (Unfortunately, kids have since been "landscaped" away from the sculpture, perhaps for liability reasons).

Anyway, Millennium Park in Chicago and Post Office Square in Boston seem like good examples to follow for Rash Field. The Kapoor "Bean," er, "Cloud Gate" in MP is a lot of fun http://www.millenniumpark.org/artand...loud_gate.html
the cloud gate sculpture is awesome. our team had proposed something similar in mckeldin plaza as the focal point for pratt street. it sure sounds like the community doesn't want any retail in rash field. federal hill main street is still trying to get light street going strong, so they've been opposed to retail in rash and long key highway.

whatever team wins, i am hoping that the design of rash field incorporates federal hill park into the design. the two should work in tandem!
Old March 22nd, 2007, 03:41 PM   #2149
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by folsomfanatic View Post
i am hoping that the design of rash field incorporates federal hill park into the design. the two should work in tandem!

Agreed...And they need to improve pedestrian access over Key Highway.

The only rendering I've seen calls for the field to be raised to the same elevation, or just a few feet higher, than key highway. The parking garage will sit on the existing field.
southbalto no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 03:47 PM   #2150
southbalto

http://www.ci.baltimore.md.us/govern...rPlanDraft.pdf
southbalto no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:45 PM   #2151
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Nice link.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 05:59 PM   #2152
Hugh Jaramillo

Likes (Received): 0

The Gondola

I was gratified to see that none of the recent designs for the redesign of Pratt Street made any mention or included any drawings of the gondola that had also been proposed to run along Pratt Street. My hope then is that that idea has been nixed by the city fathers because in my opinion it had to be one of the worst ideas that has come down the pike for that area. Does anyone know what the status of the gondola proposal is or has it been abandoned (hopefully)?
Hugh Jaramillo no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 06:58 PM   #2153
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Not sure, Hugh.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 07:17 PM   #2154
waj0527

Likes (Received): 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore View Post
The kids make some really good suggestions in this article. It's going to be interesting to see how Sheila Dixon responds to these requests.
Good point. This women is VERY nasty when she addresses the public at forums and the like. She has NO POISE whatsoever. NONE!!! She never has nor will she EVER get my vote in any election. I dont care if she's trying to be my local dog catcher. Im so embarrassed by her.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:14 PM   #2155
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jaramillo View Post
The Gondola
Does anyone know what the status of the gondola proposal is or has it been abandoned (hopefully)?
Still in play, as of four and a half months ago ... the two partners certainly know the right folks.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...6/ai_n16823385

At least if it's done and is a disaster (aesthetically and financially, that is; hopefully not in human terms) it'll be relatively easy to undo: remove the poles. Would expect that the World Trade Center stop would be created by extending the existing footbridge stairs and elevator up, rather than interposing a new fugly structure on the landscape.

UPDATE: More detail here. http://www.citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=7368 Maybe there would be a new fugly structure on the landscape

Last edited by jamie_hunt; March 22nd, 2007 at 08:41 PM.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:14 PM   #2156
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 209

Slightly OT, but have any of you guys ever climbed through the tunnels under Federal Hill?
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:22 PM   #2157
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Hello, DemolitionDave! Welcome to the Forum.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:24 PM   #2158
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Still in play, as of four and a half months ago ... the two partners certainly know the right folks.

At least if it's done and is a disaster (aesthetically and financially, that is; hopefully not in human terms) it'll be relatively easy to undo: remove the poles. Would expect that the World Trade Center stop would be created by extending the existing footbridge stairs and elevator up, rather than interposing a new fugly structure on the landscape.
Will downtown Baltimore gondola plan fly?
Daily Record, The (Baltimore), Nov 6, 2006 by Jen DeGregorio

Trey and Peter Winstead have kept a low profile since they won a state grant last year to further their dream of building a ski lift- style gondola system around the Inner Harbor.

But the Winstead brothers are back, this time with a professional market study to show skeptics that the Baltimore Lift can fly in Baltimore. If the study is right, a car trip from the downtown convention center to Fells Point could soon be replaced with a seven- minute tram ride in the sky.

"That's what we've been doing for the last year or so," Trey said. "Just studying to see if this thing can work."

According to the study, the project, which would cost more than $30 million, would likely see 1.2 million riders each year. That makes the Baltimore Lift economically feasible, according to the study, funded in part by a $38,000 state business grant.

The system would consist of 90 cars that can carry eight people at a time, transporting 5,600 people an hour and moving them from one end to the other in about seven minutes, Trey said.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:26 PM   #2159
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

Quote:

Yeah, it pops up every now and again, and they seem to have captured the imaginations of a number of people. I think the problem with killing this idea is that it's not being proposed by a firm, really, but rather just two guys who came up with the idea over a few drinks a few years back. It has since become their brain child. In all seriousness, the idea arose out of their dislike for having to walk around the harbor when going from the bars in Federal Hill to the bars in Fells Point. They initially proposed a bridge over the harbor with a bar in the center of the bridge, but that idea was replaced with today's gondola. My impression is that this is kind of a hobby for the two guys, so I'd imagine that it will pop up a few more times here and there before it completely fades away.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:33 PM   #2160
Xander21
B-More Believer

Just announced, along with The Police, Smashing Pumpkins and Beastie Boys are headlining the Virgin Festival this year.

That's big time stuff folks.

Closed Thread