daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:35 PM   #2161
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

The Police to headline Virgin Festival
Smashing Pumpkins, Beastie Boys also among acts set for two-day concert at Pimlico

By Sam Sessa
Sun Reporter
Originally published March 22, 2007, 12:03 PM EDT
The Police, the Smashing Pumpkins and the Beastie Boys will headline this year's Virgin Festival, officials announced today.

The festival, which returns to Pimlico Race Course Aug. 4-5, will feature about 40 other indie rock and hip hop acts. Tickets will go on sale in about three weeks.

"With Baltimore, the atmosphere was fantastic -- very friendly," said Virgin Group CEO Richard Branson in a phone interview this morning. "I think this year if we don't sell out the two days, I'd be very surprised. I think we've got a fantastic lineup."

Though last year's one-day festival featured renowned acts such as The Who and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, it only sold about 40,000 of the 60,000 tickets made available. But Branson is hopeful this year's expanded lineup will draw a larger audience. He cites the festival's European equivalent as an example.

"It's building a brand -- building a festival brand," Branson said. "It took us 11 years in England to go from 20,000 people in the V-Fest in Europe to 130,000, which it is every year now. It will build."

The Police reunited this year for their first tour in more than two decades. The trio of Sting, Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland split up in 1984 after releasing a number of hits, including "Every Breath You Take," "Roxanne" and "Don't Stand So Close To Me."

The band was in negotiations to play at M&T Bank Stadium, but a Ravens pre-season scrimmage conflicted with the date.

Branson said he and Summers have a history, and he called in a favor to get the group to play the festival.

"It certainly was a coup to get them," Branson said. "We go back a long way. I made a personal call myself to try to persuade [Summers] to come, and it seemed to work, and we're very happy with that."

[email protected]

I love the Smashing Pumpkins. Should be a great show. Good for Baltimore!

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:37 PM   #2162
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
Yeah, it pops up every now and again, and they seem to have captured the imaginations of a number of people. I think the problem with killing this idea is that it's not being proposed by a firm, really, but rather just two guys who came up with the idea over a few drinks a few years back. It has since become their brain child. In all seriousness, the idea arose out of their dislike for having to walk around the harbor when going from the bars in Federal Hill to the bars in Fells Point. They initially proposed a bridge over the harbor with a bar in the center of the bridge, but that idea was replaced with today's gondola. My impression is that this is kind of a hobby for the two guys, so I'd imagine that it will pop up a few more times here and there before it completely fades away.

We'll it would be nice to have some sort of connection from south baltimore to IHE & Fells Point. Thinking drawbridge?

DemoDave....I'd love to know the access point for the tunnels. I live adjacent to the park and I've been told that there is a tunnel running up my street that connects to system in the hill.
southbalto no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:49 PM   #2163
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post

I love the Smashing Pumpkins. Should be a great show. Good for Baltimore!
Right there with you. My favorite band of all time...i'm excited that this could be their US debut!
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:51 PM   #2164
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionDave View Post
Slightly OT, but have any of you guys ever climbed through the tunnels under Federal Hill?
Thought any remaining tunnels under the park were filled in during the 1999-2000 slope stabilization project. Maybe not, though.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 09:00 PM   #2165
southbalto

Ha....here is my 3 min hack job. Obv. it would have to be a drawbridge of some sort. Link the Ritz to the 4 seasons and the IHE shopping!
Old March 22nd, 2007, 09:05 PM   #2166
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbalto View Post
Ha....here is my 3 min hack job. Obv. it would have to be a drawbridge of some sort. Link the Ritz to the 4 seasons and the IHE shopping!
Can you add the gondola running diagonally across the page from top left (Harbor Point) to lower right (Aquarium/World Trade Center)?
Old March 22nd, 2007, 09:27 PM   #2167
bma83

Aer Lingus SUCKS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.aerlingus.ie
Aer Lingus welcomes confirmation of Open Skies and announces new US destinations

San Francisco, Orlando and Washington Dulles

Aer Lingus has hailed today's (Thursday, 22 March 2007) ratification of the Open Skies agreement in Brussels as a momentous development for Irish aviation and has confirmed plans to commence three new long haul services to the US before the end of the year.

San Francisco, Orlando and Washington Dulles will become new Aer Lingus destinations, with services from Dublin to San Francisco expected to start in October. The expansion will increase Aer Lingus' US destinations from four to seven and will lead to significantly increased traffic between Ireland and the US.

Welcoming the confirmation of Open Skies, Dermot Mannion, chief executive of Aer Lingus said: "Aer Lingus has waited a long time for this momentous day and to be able to fully exploit the potential to significantly grow long haul traffic between Ireland and the US. We are taking delivery of two new A330 long haul aircrafts this summer and, with the proceeds of the IPO, are financially resourced and strongly positioned to start three new long haul routes to the US before the end of the year. Finally, Aer Lingus can offer the increased choice of US destinations that our customers want and that will contribute to the continued growth of Aer Lingus as a profitable and independent company."

Dublin, 22nd March 2007
What is BWI going to have to do to get some new international airlines, or get the ones that left, come back?
bma83 no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:23 PM   #2168
LilMoeJoeJoe

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bma83 View Post
What is BWI going to have to do to get some new international airlines, or get the ones that left, come back?
The very first thing they should do is stop the state from running BWI because they've focused on Southwest and neglected the international passengers. There isn't even an over head walk way to get to the international terminal from the parking garage and don't even get me started on the concessions. For their part they really tried offering an 11 million dollar incentive package but the damage has already been done. They've tried twice before and cancelled both times. Whenever a new carrier comes to BWI, they do so from a position of weakness meaning that the State doesn't do much to get the word out. I still think BWI could get a Frankfurt or Amsterdam flight but the state has to do a better job with marketing those foreign carriers that dare to land at BWI.
LilMoeJoeJoe no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:36 PM   #2169
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by folsomfanatic View Post
Right there with you. My favorite band of all time...i'm excited that this could be their US debut!
I seen them in Columbia, SC. in their last tour I think it was around 2000 or so. Should be very exciting.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:37 PM   #2170
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:

That would be interesting. Probably, pretty costly, wouldn't it?
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:53 PM   #2171
jamie_hunt

Quote:
That would be interesting. Probably, pretty costly, wouldn't it?
Ah, it's only money ... this might work better, though ...

http://www.greenwich-guide.org.uk/tunnel.htm
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:57 PM   #2172
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

A foot tunnel?

Maybe.......
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:58 PM   #2173
southbalto

Quote:
A foot tunnel?

Maybe.......

yea and only 120k pounds...ha

Seriously though, I would think this could be done for a few million. Imagine....a 10-20 min walk from Cross St. market to Fells Point!!!
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:02 PM   #2174
jamie_hunt

Quote:
A foot tunnel?
There was a lot of shipping on this part of the Thames when it was built, so something like the Millennium Bridge built further upstream at the end of the 20th c wouldn't have worked.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:03 PM   #2175
southbalto

Oh and jamie...i looked on google for images of a tram. Unfortunatly they are all taken at bad angels.....nothing that woould fit well given that perspective.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:10 PM   #2176
MtVernator
Baltimore Native

Likes (Received): 0

The foot tunnel is a great idea. I would suggest though that it have a glass top or at least big port holes so one could see the beautiful Harbor water as you walked through. Water clean enough to drink!
MtVernator no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:10 PM   #2177
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2654

Quote:
Originally Posted by bma83 View Post
It would be nice to have gotten AerLingus back, but it's not the biggest loss we could have suffered. I've flown AerLingus before. The good thing is that you can fly to London for under $300. The bad side is that when you get there you'll have wished you paid the extra $200 for a real airline.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:11 PM   #2178
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
My impression is that [the gondola] is kind of a hobby for the two guys, so I'd imagine that it will pop up a few more times here and there before it completely fades away.
Probably right.

OTOH, if it turns out this thing really can move 6000 people an hour between Harbor Point and the Convention Center/Oriole Park/Pratt Street Light Rail Stop/Convention Center Hilton, hedge your bets.

If any one of the property owners/stakeholders on the route -- Struever/Paterakis, Marriott, Cordish, the Aquarium, General Properties (HP), the City of Baltimore, or the State of Maryland -- gets behind it, it's no longer just two guys with an idea on the back of a napkin.

Incidentally, here's their site: http://www.baltimorelift.com/
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:12 PM   #2179
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Oh and jamie...i looked on google for images of a tram. Unfortunatly they are all taken at bad angels.....nothing that woould fit well given that perspective.
Bummah. Thanks for the effort, though!
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:32 PM   #2180
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 208

The tunnel is an old tunnel dating back from when they used to mine sand. It's really kind of cool. It still has the burn marks from when they lit it with torches. I never found the end of it. After about 150' or so I started to freak myself out a little bit when I realized that it is structurally unsupported. With my luck I would have a cave in.
DemolitionDave no está en línea  

Closed Thread