daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 23rd, 2007, 04:24 PM   #2201
jpav

Likes (Received): 0

Hey Steven didn't you say that a rep from ArcWheeler told you there would be news on 10IH within a couple weeks some time ago. I'm guessing no news yet?
jpav no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2007, 04:27 PM   #2202
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
$120? Where did you buy yours? I only paid $90 and used the Ticketmaster mafia at that. I knew a fair number of people who figured that they might have paid close to that just to see the Who, so it seemed like not too bad of a price.
Me and the wife were thinking of spending that to see the Police in Hershey. Now I'll see them here and a lot of other bands, great news for us!

I think that ever rockin' smilie!
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:29 PM   #2203
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMoeJoeJoe View Post
Well Wada I guess we can agree to disagree on this one. While the state has done a good job of helping Southwest to grow, they've neglected the international carriers that gave BWI a shot. Was it the Raven's responsiblility to build a new stadium when they moved to Baltimore? No the state put up the money to lure them here. The same principle must be applied to attracting new international air service. While I agree with you that BWI is at a disadvantage because it's not a hub of a carrier who flies international traffice, alot of it is perception too. I travel 80% of the time for work and I agree BWI is great and easy to use but the point here is there ability to attract new international service not how user friendly it is. The Aer Lingus loss sucks but do we really need yet another flight to the Europen Isles when we alread have flights to England, Iceland, and Greenland? What we need is a direct connection to continental Europe. That being said BWI is served pretty well internationally even with Dulles just down the road. Try booking an international flight out of Pittsburgh or Cleveland. I love BWI airport but the incentive package should have been offered to Lufthansa, Air France, or KLM in my opinion.

The state built two stadiums for the pro sports teams. They then let the teams do the advertising.

The state built a top notch airport that any airline can contract with to have flights out of. It's up to the airlines to advertise and take advantage of what is there.

I think the leaders of the State of Maryland would catch hell if they subsidized International air traffic to the Europe, Asia, and/or Australia to any great extent. I can see the headlines now: "Millions Of Your Tax $ Spent So The Rich Don't Have To Change Planes".

BWI actually makes a proffit, but it is under the umbrella of the Department of Transportation. Money from the airport goes into the Transportaion Trust Fund. It subsidizes Port Operations, Mass Transit, and even Road Construction.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; March 23rd, 2007 at 05:37 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:45 PM   #2204
Itus

Likes (Received): 121

I'd like to chime in here to support Wada Guy's assertions about BWI.

I've heard a mix of positive and negative things about BWI's state ownership.

Having state ownership helps in a number of ways--
- BWI's fees can be kept low (which helped attract Southwest back in '93)
- BWI has funding available for construction projects, airline marketing, etc, even during adverse economic shocks --BWI had funding for the A/B expansion following the Sept 11 attacks, but delayed the project so the market could recover. I think Dulles had to halt their construction plans until the market and their finances recovered.
- I don't think the argument that state officials have ignored international options for BWI works...State officials have a vested interest in attracting international service to the state. They've been doing so for as long as such service has been a possibility. State leaders have been making trips to Africa, Europe and Asia to promote the possibility of adding service, although to no avail. The Glendening and Ehrlich administrations have both traveled abroad (to Taiwan, South Korea, South Africa, Ghana, Israel, etc) with this subject in mind.

State ownership hurts too--
Funding and airport expansion plans are also subject to political wrangling and the like...funding for some projects was delayed while the ICC overwhelmed MDOT, for example. That's where it hurts to share money and attention with other MDOT departments. There's also the issue of the BWI name change...

As for international service, I've heard most frequently that a lack of international service is due to a lack of a hub for a major US airline with close international alliances. Cincinnati has good options thanks to Delta's role in SkyTeam, although their service from foreign carriers isn't even as good as it used to be. (I think they're just down to Air France now.) At BWI, Icelandair tried to start a codeshare agreement with Southwest back in the day, which fizzled. This process was aided by the staff in BWI's marketing department. It wouldn't have led to multiple international carriers adding flights to BWI anyway, I don't think. The main reason British Airways started service at BWI in the first place was because of their alliance with the old USAir.

One (former?) airport manager also said to me back in 2001 that BWI continues to execute a strategy whereby we try to get international service and then expect the business to grow from there, rather than strengthen the existing international business and have air service created as a result. Because of this, the international carriers that we HAVE had couldn't sustain service for very long. I think KLM was one of these.
Itus no está en línea  
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:15 PM   #2205
LilMoeJoeJoe

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
The state built two stadiums for the pro sports teams. They then let the teams do the advertising.

The state built a top notch airport that any airline can contract with to have flights out of. It's up to the airlines to advertise and take advantage of what is there.

I think the leaders of the State of Maryland would catch hell if they subsidized International air traffic to the Europe, Asia, and/or Australia to any great extent. I can see the headlines now: "Millions Of Your Tax $ Spent So The Rich Don't Have To Change Planes".

BWI actually makes a proffit, but it is under the umbrella of the Department of Transportation. Money from the airport goes into the Transportaion Trust Fund. It subsidizes Port Operations, Mass Transit, and even Road Construction.

Building a top notch airport is great and having Southwest is great but if we're going to land new international service, we have to offer incentives for foreign carriers to come. I'm not saying that the state should pay for advertising and offer incentives forever but if we land a new carrier and then they pull up stakes a year later, it leaves a lasting impression that's worse than if they never flew to BWI at all. All I'm saying is, if we attract a new carrier, the state should offer free advertising for a few months to get them off to a good start. Don't tell me that you don't believe that the state has a vested interest in seeing a new carrier succeed? And this is where they have largely failed in the past. BWI is still served well but for the past few years it's been all about Southwest. Just look at the concession choices you have once you past security at the international terminal. I think that should we land just one flight to continental Europe and maintain it along with our existing service, this would be a catalyst for growth. Just because you build it doesn't mean they will come.
LilMoeJoeJoe no está en línea  
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:59 PM   #2206
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itus View Post
I'd like to chime in here to support Wada Guy's assertions about BWI.

I've heard a mix of positive and negative things about BWI's state ownership.

Having state ownership helps in a number of ways--
- BWI's fees can be kept low (which helped attract Southwest back in '93)
- BWI has funding available for construction projects, airline marketing, etc, even during adverse economic shocks --BWI had funding for the A/B expansion following the Sept 11 attacks, but delayed the project so the market could recover. I think Dulles had to halt their construction plans until the market and their finances recovered.
- I don't think the argument that state officials have ignored international options for BWI works...State officials have a vested interest in attracting international service to the state. They've been doing so for as long as such service has been a possibility. State leaders have been making trips to Africa, Europe and Asia to promote the possibility of adding service, although to no avail. The Glendening and Ehrlich administrations have both traveled abroad (to Taiwan, South Korea, South Africa, Ghana, Israel, etc) with this subject in mind.

State ownership hurts too--
Funding and airport expansion plans are also subject to political wrangling and the like...funding for some projects was delayed while the ICC overwhelmed MDOT, for example. That's where it hurts to share money and attention with other MDOT departments. There's also the issue of the BWI name change...

As for international service, I've heard most frequently that a lack of international service is due to a lack of a hub for a major US airline with close international alliances. Cincinnati has good options thanks to Delta's role in SkyTeam, although their service from foreign carriers isn't even as good as it used to be. (I think they're just down to Air France now.) At BWI, Icelandair tried to start a codeshare agreement with Southwest back in the day, which fizzled. This process was aided by the staff in BWI's marketing department. It wouldn't have led to multiple international carriers adding flights to BWI anyway, I don't think. The main reason British Airways started service at BWI in the first place was because of their alliance with the old USAir.

One (former?) airport manager also said to me back in 2001 that BWI continues to execute a strategy whereby we try to get international service and then expect the business to grow from there, rather than strengthen the existing international business and have air service created as a result. Because of this, the international carriers that we HAVE had couldn't sustain service for very long. I think KLM was one of these.
Welcome to the Forum.
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:00 AM   #2207
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpav View Post
Hey Steven didn't you say that a rep from ArcWheeler told you there would be news on 10IH within a couple weeks some time ago. I'm guessing no news yet?
Actually, he said in a "few" weeks we should hear a big announcement. So, I'd guess maybe by the end of next week or the very beginning of the following it should be known what the "big" announcement consists of.
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #2208
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

It seems to happen more than a few times that our contacts give us the heads up on announcements that never materialize. Weren't we told a few months back that the new 10IH renderings would be on Robert Stern's website?
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #2209
Itus

Likes (Received): 121

Thanks. I tend to get my news from you guys here.
Itus no está en línea  
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #2210
getontrac

Anything other than townhouse projects get delayed 6 months to 6 years, so I expect delay on just about everything.

To borrow Scotty's policy cited in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock: "Always multiply your [development] time estimates by a factor of 4."

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #2211
Interestedreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountVEE View Post
Does anybody know if The Zenith has a marketing website? I was wondering what the units, retail, etc. are supposed to look like but I don't think they even have a page. It's really odd. Cool building though.

www.zenithapts.com

Additional material in coming in April.
Interestedreader no está en línea  
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #2212
getontrac

^Thnx!

Nate
Old March 24th, 2007, 04:14 AM   #2213
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interestedreader View Post
www.zenithapts.com

Very nice.
Thanks for posting this link.
And, "Welcome to the Forum!"
Old March 24th, 2007, 04:58 AM   #2214
Interestedreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Very nice.
Thanks for posting this link.
And, "Welcome to the Forum!"
My pleasure and thank you. I've been an interested reader for some time. I enjoy the forum.
Old March 24th, 2007, 05:22 AM   #2215
Bastian

Quote:
My pleasure and thank you. I've been an interested reader for some time. I enjoy the forum.
That building is SO hot. I'm dying to see Interior shots. I hope it's ultra-modern. Despite the sketch-y desolate west side neighborhood I bet it'll be really over-priced.
Bastian no está en línea  
Old March 24th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #2216
Interestedreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastian View Post
That building is SO hot. I'm dying to see Interior shots. I hope it's ultra-modern. Despite the sketch-y desolate west side neighborhood I bet it'll be really over-priced.
Nope. It will be more reasonable than anything in Harbor East.
Old March 24th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #2217
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

Dont know how long the sign has been out there, but theres one on the gate to the lot on conway saying 10 Inner Harbor, Mixed Use Development with a phone number for questions about office and retail space. No website though with the phone number seems a bit more inspiring than the 300 East Pratt Street sign.
House3780 no está en línea  
Old March 24th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #2218
MountVEE

Quote:
www.zenithapts.com

Cool! Thanks! I registered at the website...mostly just to see the rental rates. I'm interested but figure it might be a bit out of my price range.

Last edited by MountVEE; March 24th, 2007 at 05:35 AM.
MountVEE no está en línea  
Old March 24th, 2007, 05:33 AM   #2219
Interestedreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountVEE View Post
Cool! Thanks! I registered at the website...mostly just to see the rental rates. I'm interested but figure it might be a bit out of my price range.
You are welcome. Regarding price range, you never know. It will be more affordable than some of the other rental programs in downtown.
Old March 24th, 2007, 05:37 AM   #2220
getontrac

Quote:
Nope. It will be more reasonable than anything in Harbor East.
I should hope and expect so!

Either way, not in my price range, I'm sure!

I don't think the area's desolate at all. Not until Park Ave and mostly north of Saratoga.

Nate

Closed Thread