daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 26th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #2281
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

Though slightly awkwardly shaped, the Lippman Lot is fairly large.

Part of the issue would be keep the rear easily accessible to truck delivery to Eddies.

I'd hate to lose Comprehensive Car Care, though!

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #2282
pfd103
Bmore

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbalto View Post
Like Wada, I want to see something new. ACE hardware opened up this week in south baltimore and I was thrilled. The last thing we need down here is another bar/coffee house.
I am happy that the Ace went in, and that "the Fed" is coming. It should really boost that section of Light street. I'll give you that South Baltimore/Federal Hill have too many bars (and hair salons it seems), but I think we need more coffee shops. On a Sunday morning, it's almost impossible to find a place with standing room.

I've wondered why Cross street market doesn't stay open on Sunday during the day. It seems that the neighborhood is crawling with people, so why stay closed? Is this part of the commuter mentally still lingering?
pfd103 no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #2283
BalWash
BANNED

Location: Bethesda, Maryland (BALTIMORE,MD-WASHINGTON,DC Metro) and Atlanta, GA
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Doesn't seem to make much sense developing State Center w/o addressing McCulloh Homes. Would the Housing Authority "run out the string" there--i.e. board up properties rather than replacing tenants who move on--until no one's left to protest the project's redevelopment?

OT but FYI: Critique of 10 IH in this month's Urbanite:

http://www.urbanitebaltimore.com/sub...&articleID=624

Well, more polemic, throat-clearing, and grumbling than critique. Question for users, though: would you rather have what Stern's proposing for Philly or Baltimore on the skyline?
Apparently the author of that article has never scene the JHC in Boston or the new renderings for their glassy supertalls, nor has he seen Liberty Place or currently U/C, almost supertall Comcast Center in Philly. I've heard that Boston and Philadelphia are also somewhat historical (although at present, I can't think of anything historical occurring there). Even Detroit whose skyline is one of the oldest has the RenCen. Chicago's extremely old skyline is mixed in with modern, glass gems like 333 S. Whacker (which is as glassy, thin and modern as it gets) and Prudential Tower. The brand new glassy Trump Tower is being built right across the street from the 425 foot Wrigley Building (built in 1924). Basically this is article is completely idiotic in suggesting that Baltimore not build anything modern.
BalWash no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #2284
getontrac

The Fed Hill garage plot is slightly larger (about .78 acre versus .68 for Lippman).

The difference is that one can build an extra level or two to make it more economical in Mt. Vernon versus Fed Hill due to the scale of the neighborhood.

Parking is power. And boy would urban development be easier and come faster, like it used to be in the good ol' days, before the car was king. Trying to accomodate the auto is such a goddamn expensive rackett.

Nate
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #2285
getontrac

Does anybody know of a non-big-box chain (hardware?) store that sells commercial dustpans and the pinching type trash pickers.

I really need those to clean my block, and I just don't shop much and don't feel like going all the way to Tinbucktu or Wal-mart to find them.

Maybe somewhere in N or NW Baltimore.

Thanks,
Nate
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #2286
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
I'd hate to lose Comprehensive Car Care, though!

Nate
Yes. They seem committed to the neighborhood.

Might be a parking opp at the Waxter Center across the street on the NW corner of Cathedral and Eager. RFPs are due April 27 for redeveloping the property. http://www.baltimoredevelopment.com/...FP%20Final.pdf

Calls for first floor retail, which could help link the stores Eager with those on Read.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #2287
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

I put my wings on yesterday and flew around town!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...Building&hl=en

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; March 26th, 2007 at 08:10 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #2288
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
Does anybody know of a non-big-box chain (hardware?) store that sells commercial dustpans and the pinching type trash pickers.

I really need those to clean my block, and I just don't shop much and don't feel like going all the way to Tinbucktu or Wal-mart to find them.

Maybe somewhere in N or NW Baltimore.

Thanks,
Nate
Try Odorite, 1111 Maryland Avenue. Here's their catalogue. Think p. 27 has what you need ... http://www.odoritebaltimore.com/cata...iteCatalog.pdf

And if they don't have it, they know where you can get it.
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #2289
pfd103
Bmore

Likes (Received): 129

Has anything been going on with this lately? Seems like it stalled to death...
pfd103 no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #2290
BalWash
BANNED

Literally, my jaw dropped when the video started.
BalWash no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #2291
BalWash
BANNED

1. New York City CSA: $1.103 T
2. Los Angeles/Long Beach/Riverside CSA: $770.6 B
3. Washington/Baltimore CSA: $436 B
4. Chicago CSA: $429.6 B
5. Boston/Providence CSA: $364.6 B
6. San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose CSA: $357.8 B
7. Philadelphia/Reading CSA: $286.1 B
8. Dallas/Fort Worth CSA: $284.5 B
9. Houston/Beaumont CSA: $244.4 B
10. Atlanta/Sandy Springs/Marietta MSA: $212.4 B

I thought you guys may be interested in this. I think #3 in the US makes us around #6 in the world, possibly #7 is Kyoto is included with Kobe/Osaka.

Baltimore seriously needs to hold itself to higher standards.
BalWash no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #2292
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 209

They have to get rid of the old asbestos pcb riddled power plant first. That is about an $8 million job (not counting soil cleanup). The developer (or Constellation Energy) has to pay that out of pocket.
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #2293
getontrac

Quote:
Yes. They seem committed to the neighborhood.

Might be a parking opp at the Waxter Center across the street on the NW corner of Cathedral and Eager. RFPs are due April 27 for redeveloping the property. http://www.baltimoredevelopment.com/...FP%20Final.pdf

Calls for first floor retail, which could help link the stores Eager with those on Read.
Hey, THIS is development news. Who says nothings going on! This is something to chew on. Sure it's not a high-rise, but, it's Mt. Vernon, baby.

I wonder how they would keep uninterrupted service to Waxter if they stay at the same location.

Thanks for the info.

Nate
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #2294
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Baltimore has added another skybridge.....!

The steel is up over Howard St. for the convention hotel/center bridge.
southbalto no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #2295
jamie_hunt

Re: Waxter Center RFP

RFP mentions housing seniors, so a mid-rise like Chase House (SE corner of Cathedral and Chase) may be possible. Wouldn't mind seeing the execrable concrete and brown brick Westminster House on the SW corner of Charles and Centre (across from the Walters Art Museum) demo'ed, and it's residents relocated to the Waxter Center site. They'd have easy access to Waxter Center programs and shopping at Eddie's Market; developers would have a primo site on the south end of Mt. Vernon Place. Also, Waxter only needs 30 spaces, so anything above that could serve the neighborhood--specifically, a market rate renovation of the Medical Arts Building ...

UPDATE: ... and the beautiful Brexton Apartments, briefly home of Bessiewallis Warfield Spencer Simpson Windsor aka The Duchess, just across Park Ave.

Last edited by jamie_hunt; March 26th, 2007 at 08:18 PM. Reason: the trivia never stops
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #2296
Xander21
B-More Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbalto View Post
Baltimore has added another skybridge.....!

The steel is up over Howard St. for the convention hotel/center bridge.
I meant to mention this. I saw it too yesterday coming off of 395 into the city. Lots of activity over there on the Convention Center hotel it seemed.
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #2297
Xander21
B-More Believer

Quote:
Re: Waxter Center RFP

RFP mentions housing seniors, so a mid-rise like Chase House (SE corner of Cathedral and Chase) may be possible. Wouldn't mind seeing the execrable concrete and brown brick Westminster House on the SW corner of Charles and Centre (across from the Walters Art Museum) demo'ed, and it's residents relocated to the Waxter Center site. They'd have easy access to Waxter Center programs and shopping at Eddie's Market; developers would have a primo site on the south end of Mt. Vernon Place. Also, Waxter only needs 30 spaces, so anything above that could serve the neighborhood--specifically, a market rate renovation of the Medical Arts Building.
Westminster House is a huge eyesore on Charles St. I definitely would not mind seeing it go.
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #2298
getontrac

Waxter's a pretty big plot, but presumably, to finance extra spots not utilized by the new mixed-use occupiers, the City would have to intervene to pay for that somehow. It could work...maybe. It would really solidify that whole block, maybe get the male prostitutes out of there and provide parking for the Brexton. (Seems to me there would be enough parking at Symphony Center for the Brexton. I think the Brexton has other issues which make it difficult to renovate--like the surface to volume ratio--it's all facade.)

Nate
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #2299
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

How did you get those shots Wada? They are fantastic!
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #2300
getontrac

As much as the Westminster House isn't cool. It's not offfensive enough to demo anytime soon--not until we build out the rest of the area. It contributes with people and retail, though the retail doesn't really want you to come in, do they? behind those brutalist walls.

The Chase House is the most offensive tall building in or around Mt. Vernon.

Nate

Closed Thread