daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 26th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #2301
MountVEE

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
It would really solidify that whole block, maybe get the male prostitutes out of there...
WHA??!!

Are there really male prostitutes over there? omg.
MountVEE no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #2302
getontrac

Yup. (I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.)

Mostly weekend nights. Park and Read, Park and Madison, Park and Eager, Madison and Howard, sometimes Madison and Cathedral. It rotates around, but they are usually at two corners at any given time. It doesn't appear to be as bad as it was 3 or 4 years ago. They look like drug dealers, I used to think they were. They dress like regular men (for men).

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #2303
MountVEE

Quote:

Mostly weekend nights. Park and Read, Park and Madison, Park and Eager, Madison and Howard, sometimes Madison and Cathedral. It rotates around, but they are usually at two corners at any given time. It doesn't appear to be as bad as it was 3 or 4 years ago. They look like drug dealers, I used to think they were. They dress like regular men (for men).

Nate
whoa. No I wasn't being sarcastic. I live near read and St. Paul but I guess I never really go over to the west side. Neither does anyone else really. Now I know why. I remember when I went to Michaelangelo's for carryout one night, I was shocked to find out that all the bars on West Read were full of old gay men. The west-side never ceases to amaze me.
MountVEE no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #2304
getontrac

Calvert St used to be full of prostitutes, both men and women who dressed like women. But I rarely see them these days. Even when I near lived there, I rarely saw them. They've moved up Calvert to Greenmount West, it seems.

Apparently, it used to be notorious, so I assume it was much more prevelent years ago.

Nate
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #2305
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
It could eventually be something like Chicago's Michigan Avenue, but not without some relo and demo.
Again, great point. Demo needs to happen to the federal courthouse. What an eyesore, and it turns its back on Prat St. Wasn't there talk about the feds building a new courthouse and offices sometime in the next few years? Anybody?
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:48 PM   #2306
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
As much as the Westminster House isn't cool. It's not offensive enough to demo anytime soon--not until we build out the rest of the area. It contributes with people and retail, though the retail doesn't really want you to come in, do they? behind those brutalist walls.
The Chase House is the most offensive tall building in or around Mt. Vernon.
Nate
Wouldn't demo it unless the residents had someplace else nearby to go (e.g. the redeveloped Waxter Center site), but as soon as they did, it'd be gone: Brutalist walls and all.

Couldn't find a picture of the St. James Hotel that stood on the Westminster House site 'til it burned in 1966. It was a low rise Victorian pile, not to everyone's liking, but it didn't cast a long, cold shadow over Centre Street and the Walters, and it contributed to active street life (nothing against the old folks -- I'm almost one myself -- but WHers mostly hang around the entrance ... a new building could at least have some decent porches, or a sunny deck).

Also, back in the day you could see the dome of the Basilica from the foot of the Wash Mon: the work of a genius (Latrobe) and his protege (Mills), linked in time and space. And Godefroy (dome of the First Unitarian) was no slouch either. That's an old-school skyline for you!

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what's proposed for the Waxter site, if anything.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #2307
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreborn1 View Post
How did you get those shots Wada? They are fantastic!
I believe they are from Google video. They are a little dated, but they are still are good. Harbor East is but a dream.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; March 26th, 2007 at 09:01 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #2308
getontrac

I think they must be at least six years old.

You can see the Southern Hotel, SunLife, Merchants and Miners buildings still in place in the first one.

Nate
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #2309
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountVEE View Post
whoa. No I wasn't being sarcastic. I live near read and St. Paul but I guess I never really go over to the west side. Neither does anyone else really. Now I know why. I remember when I went to Michaelangelo's for carryout one night, I was shocked to find out that all the bars on West Read were full of old gay men. The west-side never ceases to amaze me.
Watch it. You're talking about me! The Drinkery is a hoot.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #2310
BalWash
BANNED

Location: Bethesda, Maryland (BALTIMORE,MD-WASHINGTON,DC Metro) and Atlanta, GA
Likes (Received): 2

This is possibly the greatest interaction skyscrapercity has ever seen.
BalWash no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #2311
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
I think they must be at least six years old.

You can see the Southern Hotel, SunLife, Merchants and Miners buildings still in place in the first one.

Nate
Great video, but some are way older than 6 years. In the third one you can see the tower building and thats been gone since the 80's.

One of the news stations used the first video as there intro for a long time, and the 4th video was the background for a bacardi commercial.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #2312
Eerik

Likes (Received): 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudibjr View Post
Great video, but some are way older than 6 years. In the third one you can see the tower building and thats been gone since the 80's.

One of the news stations used the first video as there intro for a long time, and the 4th video was the background for a bacardi commercial.
The third one is from about 1983...
Eerik no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #2313
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalWash View Post
This is possibly the greatest interaction skyscrapercity has ever seen.
Time to (further) update the Wikipedia entry for Mt. Vernon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Vernon,_Baltimore
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #2314
Eerik

Likes (Received): 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
I believe they are from Google video. They are a little dated, but they are still are good. Harbor East is but a dream.
The first one is the best, especially looking down on the BoA building. If you ever have the opportunity to take a helicopter ride over downtown, do it! Especially if it's in a city police helicopter with the bubble cockpit: you'll never forget it! Watching the first video reminded me of a similar opportunity I had back in 1985...if you click on the image, you should be able to see a higher-rez image.

Eerik no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #2315
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Jason is knocking heads today eh?
southbalto no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #2316
getontrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Time to (further) update the Wikipedia entry for Mt. Vernon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Vernon,_Baltimore
The population sounds low. Most other sources I've heard from say it's about 7000.

Nate
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #2317
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

rash field

sounds like the zieger snead/ballsley team has won the rash field job.

i certainly hope that rash has more character than the west shore park has (ballsley's design). while it looks nice, it doesn't have much character and no real reason to be in there. there's nothing there to draw you in and make you want to stay there.

i'm afraid we're going to end up with another "pretty" space on the harbor that doesn't have much use....hopefully i am wrong though!
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #2318
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by folsomfanatic View Post
sounds like the zieger snead/ballsley team has won the rash field job.

i certainly hope that rash has more character than the west shore park has (ballsley's design). while it looks nice, it doesn't have much character and no real reason to be in there. there's nothing there to draw you in and make you want to stay there.

i'm afraid we're going to end up with another "pretty" space on the harbor that doesn't have much use....hopefully i am wrong though!
I was dissapointed that they didn't hook up the water feature in the park. I'm sure it would be a hit with the kids.
southbalto no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #2319
waj0527

Likes (Received): 484

Quote:

Nate
LOL @ they look like drug dealers. I've actually been approached three times leaving City Cafe. They seem to be very polite. I respectfully decline their services and go about my business.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #2320
waj0527

Likes (Received): 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbalto View Post
I was dissapointed that they didn't hook up the water feature in the park. I'm sure it would be a hit with the kids.
I thought it was still in the works. Didnt the city have to raise the money for it or something?
waj0527 no está en línea  

Closed Thread