daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 26th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #2321
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
I thought it was still in the works. Didnt the city have to raise the money for it or something?

I think you're right. Maybe this year.......

Have we talked about the Ritz latley? That stretch is looking downright cavernous? I would love love love so see some high end retail go in between Digital High and Harborview. They are currently using the land for construction parking.
southbalto no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2007, 11:42 PM   #2322
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

What ever happened to the helicopter rides that used to be available in Bmore??

I think I can recall taking a helicopter ride when I was a kid (early 80's). From my limited memory, it just kinda flew around the harbor, Ft McHenry etc,. I had totally forgot about it until it was mentioned eariler.

Anyone else know what I am talking about??
cgunna no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #2323
cgunna
2A

west shore park

Quote:
Originally Posted by folsomfanatic View Post
sounds like the zieger snead/ballsley team has won the rash field job.

i certainly hope that rash has more character than the west shore park has (ballsley's design). while it looks nice, it doesn't have much character and no real reason to be in there. there's nothing there to draw you in and make you want to stay there.

i'm afraid we're going to end up with another "pretty" space on the harbor that doesn't have much use....hopefully i am wrong though!
I agree. I am less than enthused by the design of West Shore Park. I mean, where is the design?? Trees, benches and some flowers...

Here's to a great looking Rash Field Project.
cgunna no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 11:50 PM   #2324
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbalto View Post
I would love love love so see some high end retail go in between Digital High and Harborview. They are currently using the land for construction parking.
Hmmm. Don't think it's in the cards ...

http://www.pfarc.com/34akey.html

Could change, though. Most high end retail is probably going on the other side of the harbor.

http://www.pfarc.com/ihe_ret.html

Last edited by jamie_hunt; March 26th, 2007 at 11:53 PM. Reason: add url
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2007, 11:53 PM   #2325
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
I think you're right. Maybe this year.......

Have we talked about the Ritz latley? That stretch is looking downright cavernous? I would love love love so see some high end retail go in between Digital High and Harborview. They are currently using the land for construction parking.
that site is slated for high end flats and condos. if i am not mistaken it proposes a couple of taller buildings (8 stories maybe?) at each end (at cross street and next to the new townhomes along gittings and covington), with 4 stories in between.

the plans i saw had no retail there. i think our best bet for retail along key highway is when the globe brewery, little havana, and the garage marks thomas is in gets redeveloped. that's a good, straight stretch that can become a nice retail street, plus some garage parking could be incorporated.

the plans used to be on harborview's website, but they are gone now!
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #2326
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

I thought this project was dead.

Who knows... maybe it's alive again.
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #2327
folsomfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
I thought this project was dead.

Who knows... maybe it's alive again.
i think thtis was dead as well. the condos/flats i am referring to are directly in front of digital harbor highschool between key highway and covington street.

parcel 34A is tough because it is so small. it'd cost too much money and would likely be under fire from nearby residents whose view would be impacted.

but who knows, they pass anything these days! the homes being built by patriot homes on the old JED property are enormous. 5 stories next to a neighbor with 2 stories is a little over the top. you can see these homes clearly from locust point. they are looking MUCH better with their bricj going up though. nice homes, just one floor too tall in my opinion....
Old March 27th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #2328
Balmurfan

Likes (Received): 308

UMB eyes Social Security’s Greene Street space

The University of Maryland, Baltimore, is eyeing office space now occupied by the Social Security Administration for an expansion on the city’s West Side.

The Daily Record reported this month that the SSA wants to move from its Metro West facility, two buildings connected via skywalk at 300 N. Greene St. The 1 million-square-foot property was built nearly 30 years ago to house about 5,000 employees, a work force that has since shrunk to fewer than 2,000.

SSA has been looking for new space at city locations that include Montgomery Park, the former Montgomery Ward catalog warehouse, and a massive mixed-use project being planned by developer Patrick Turner to rise on the shores of the Middle Branch of the Patapsco River. The federal government agency expects to have a lease contract next year but does not expect to move until 2011.

When it does, UMB is “very interested” in acquiring the Metro West property, according to a university spokesman. The school has had “informal contact, including a walking tour” with officials in charge of SSA’s move.

The university’s intentions for the facility are unclear. But UMB is intrigued by the opportunity to control a large property adjacent to its campus, which has undergone a major expansion, the spokesman said.

Last year, UMB opened a dental school on West Baltimore Street and announced plans to build a $300 million research facility next door. The university also said it wants to develop a hotel and parking garage in the Drovers and Mechanics National Bank building, a vacant, university-owned property at the corner of Eutaw and Fayette streets, just north of the Hippodrome Theatre. The second building in the UMB BioPark could be completed sometime this summer.

The Metro West facility could offer space for UMB’s medical school, which is overcrowded, according to Dr. E. Albert Reece, the medical school’s new dean. The medical school is looking to expand in a space nearby its Greene and Baltimore streets location, Reece told The Daily Record during an interview last month.

Mike Evitts, a spokesman for the Downtown Partnership of Baltimore Inc., said the prospect of UMB taking over the Metro West buildings would be a boon for downtown.

“We would have nothing but good things to say about UMB occupying that space and revitalizing that part of the West Side,” he said. “They have been a fantastic stakeholder on the West Side and … have done a lot to create life and vitality and to stimulate the larger West Side renaissance.”

The university does not know whether it would keep or demolish Metro West’s existing buildings if it purchased the property, according to the spokesman. The facility is old and will require many expensive upgrades.
Balmurfan no está en línea  
Old March 27th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #2329
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Baltimore has added another skybridge.....!

The steel is up over Howard St. for the convention hotel/center bridge.
wow, they've started on the bridge portion already? they're movin' swiftly with this project. i think i'm starting to have a better feeling about this hotel.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old March 27th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #2330
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 209

The Westminister House was originally designed to be a couple of floors taller.

I think the handwriting is on the wall. It's days are numbered. Maybe not this year or next year but IMO definately withi hte next 5 years.

In my 'hood, I heard an interesting rumour last night. The Tulkoff plant is being demolished and just to the east of it Wegmans is building a new store.
Safeway has had it to good for way too long.
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old March 27th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #2331
MasonsInquiries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmurfan View Post
The University of Maryland, Baltimore, is eyeing office space now occupied by the Social Security Administration for an expansion on the city’s West Side.

The Daily Record reported this month that the SSA wants to move from its Metro West facility, two buildings connected via skywalk at 300 N. Greene St. The 1 million-square-foot property was built nearly 30 years ago to house about 5,000 employees, a work force that has since shrunk to fewer than 2,000.

SSA has been looking for new space at city locations that include Montgomery Park, the former Montgomery Ward catalog warehouse, and a massive mixed-use project being planned by developer Patrick Turner to rise on the shores of the Middle Branch of the Patapsco River. The federal government agency expects to have a lease contract next year but does not expect to move until 2011.

When it does, UMB is “very interested” in acquiring the Metro West property, according to a university spokesman. The school has had “informal contact, including a walking tour” with officials in charge of SSA’s move.

The university’s intentions for the facility are unclear. But UMB is intrigued by the opportunity to control a large property adjacent to its campus, which has undergone a major expansion, the spokesman said.

Last year, UMB opened a dental school on West Baltimore Street and announced plans to build a $300 million research facility next door. The university also said it wants to develop a hotel and parking garage in the Drovers and Mechanics National Bank building, a vacant, university-owned property at the corner of Eutaw and Fayette streets, just north of the Hippodrome Theatre. The second building in the UMB BioPark could be completed sometime this summer.
the more UMB makes their presence downtown, the better. not only better for downtown, but the entire city. also, i can't wait to see the renderings for this $300M research building.
Old March 27th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #2332
folsomfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionDave View Post
The Westminister House was originally designed to be a couple of floors taller.

I think the handwriting is on the wall. It's days are numbered. Maybe not this year or next year but IMO definately withi hte next 5 years.

In my 'hood, I heard an interesting rumour last night. The Tulkoff plant is being demolished and just to the east of it Wegmans is building a new store.
Safeway has had it to good for way too long.
where is this?! Wegmans is very particular with their new stores and where they go. Being originally from NY, i am addicted to them. Thank goodness the store in Hunt Valley is fairly close by.

the Shoppers Food Warehouse in Federal Hill is a travesty. Good riddance to it when the new grocery store in Locust Point opens up on the old paperboard site!!!
Old March 27th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #2333
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
where is this?! Wegmans is very particular with their new stores and where they go. Being originally from NY, i am addicted to them. Thank goodness the store in Hunt Valley is fairly close by.

the Shoppers Food Warehouse in Federal Hill is a travesty. Good riddance to it when the new grocery store in Locust Point opens up on the old paperboard site!!!
this is in cannton. i live there too but havn't heard this particular rumor. i welcome it though!
quabex no está en línea  
Old March 27th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #2334
MasonsInquiries

Quote:
i think thtis was dead as well. the condos/flats i am referring to are directly in front of digital harbor highschool between key highway and covington street.

parcel 34A is tough because it is so small. it'd cost too much money and would likely be under fire from nearby residents whose view would be impacted.

but who knows, they pass anything these days! the homes being built by patriot homes on the old JED property are enormous. 5 stories next to a neighbor with 2 stories is a little over the top. you can see these homes clearly from locust point. they are looking MUCH better with their bricj going up though. nice homes, just one floor too tall in my opinion....
damn, FIVE-story townhomes. i'm sure they're going for atleast $900K, right?
Old March 27th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #2335
folsomfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by quabex View Post
this is in cannton. i live there too but havn't heard this particular rumor. i welcome it though!
interesting. not sure if that would be a fit for wegmans. they love their suburban stores with LOTS of parking and a particular (to a fault sometimes) demographic that they market towards.

would be a drastic change in their MO, but it would be cool!
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #2336
Xander21
B-More Believer

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
interesting. not sure if that would be a fit for wegmans. they love their suburban stores with LOTS of parking and a particular (to a fault sometimes) demographic that they market towards.

would be a drastic change in their MO, but it would be cool!
This story from a few months ago would definitely fuel those rumors. If the factory comes down that would be a lot of space for Wegmans to build a store and a parking lot.

http://baltimore.bizjournals.com/bal...y2.html?page=1
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #2337
folsomfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
damn, FIVE-story townhomes. i'm sure they're going for atleast $900K, right?
They had a posting on-line a month or so ago that they were $1million and up, but the prices aren't listed now.

http://www.lennar.com/findhome/commu...2&DIVID=PATPAT

they look nice, but they blocked my view of the domino sign. i do like that they will fill in the "hole" that has been circling around digital harbor high school! they've got the first 10 units up and they're bricking them now. looks like they'll be ready to go in about two months at most!

Old March 27th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #2338
folsomfanatic

nv homes

the NV Homes development, Harbour Pointe, is well underway. went past last night and they finished the utilities and the basements for several units that are facing onto fort avenue. they seem to be moving very quickly.

i enjoyed this rendering:

i never knew fort avenue was in the woods! LOL
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #2339
waj0527

Likes (Received): 484

^those look quaint.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #2340
pennster

Quote:
They had a posting on-line a month or so ago that they were $1million and up, but the prices aren't listed now.

http://www.lennar.com/findhome/commu...2&DIVID=PATPAT

they look nice, but they blocked my view of the domino sign. i do like that they will fill in the "hole" that has been circling around digital harbor high school! they've got the first 10 units up and they're bricking them now. looks like they'll be ready to go in about two months at most!

Those are GORGEOUS. I wish they'd build stuff like that in DC.
pennster no está en línea  

Closed Thread