daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 27th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #2341
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennster View Post
Those are GORGEOUS. I wish they'd build stuff like that in DC.
i agree that they are great, but they are WAY too tall. all of the homes around them are two stories. the units on the ends should have stepped down to be 3 or 4 stories to blend in more with the neighborhood. they could've atleast spared the bump up on the roof.

it will be interesting to see how they sell. they are priced comparably to the townhomes in harborview, but those are down on the water. not sure if people are going to want all of these levels in their house or not. at least they have an elevator!

for a million bucks it's going to take a specific buyer!

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #2342
pennster

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by folsomfanatic View Post
i agree that they are great, but they are WAY too tall. all of the homes around them are two stories. the units on the ends should have stepped down to be 3 or 4 stories to blend in more with the neighborhood. they could've atleast spared the bump up on the roof.

it will be interesting to see how they sell. they are priced comparably to the townhomes in harborview, but those are down on the water. not sure if people are going to want all of these levels in their house or not. at least they have an elevator!

Yeah I agree if they're going to be that tall the developer should try a little harder to have them blend in with the existing neighborhood (what are they, 45 feet tall?). Not sure if I'd call that 6th floor a real floor though. Looks more like a one-room panoramic sitting area. That's the reason I'd pay a handsome sum for it. Where else will you find something that unique in a townhouse?

Last edited by pennster; March 27th, 2007 at 08:58 PM.
pennster no está en línea  
Old March 27th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #2343
cgunna
2A

Those houses look great in the renderings and might look nice in a different neighborhood, but where they are located, they look nothing short of a monstrosity. Baltimore is about NEIGHBORHOODS. Homes built should fit into the established fabric around them (NIMBYism anyone). If not, you have misplaced, unsold, million dollar 5 story townhouses.
cgunna no está en línea  
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #2344
Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore

Likes (Received): 218

Quote:

I am with you on this one. Yes, they really look nice, but of course there are some downsides to it. I agree with you Pennster. The architect should have tried a little harder to build these homes in a manner where they would've truly fit in. People in Federal hill pay a pretty penny for their homes not to be blocked but future development.
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #2345
Balmurfan

Likes (Received): 308

Dixon lays out economic development plan

BALTIMORE (Map, News) - Wearing two hats can be hard, but it is the position that Baltimore Mayor Sheila Dixon finds herself in as she lays out an economic course for the city while working on a campaign strategy as well.

In the first of this three-part series, Dixon — who is proposing a total operating budget of $2.65 billion for Baltimore in 2008, an increase of $257 million from 2007— shares her vision for the former industrial city’s economic future.

“When I came into office, I realized that in order to grow Baltimore I would have to enhance its economic base, identify industry sectors we can provide support to and attract, and increase the number of opportunities for city residents,” Dixon told The Examiner.

Dixon plans to provide financial incentive packages to attract and retain financial giants Morgan Stanley and Legg Mason; expand the hospitality, biotechnology and medical research industries; and launch an aggressive $250,000 marketing campaign geared at families impacted by the base realignment in an effort to grow the city’s tax base.

To move projects forward, Dixon has placed 12 city agencies under the control of Deputy Mayor for Economic Development Andrew Frank, including Planning, Parks and Recreation, Housing and Community Development, Transportation, Employment and Public Works, to name a few. All critical to economic development.

“We are actively marketing the city as a place for business, a point of destination to live and work and a vibrant and growing economy,” Frank said.

Dixon is said to be close to inking a deal for the expansion of Legg Mason in the city this week. She also plans to put $54 million into increasing affordable housing, developing job training programs for ex-convicts, targeted redevelopment for the city’s poorest neighborhoods, gaining control over more properties for city reuse, attracting more international businesses and growing small businesses. Dixon, a former employee of the Department of Business and Economic office, has also reached out to its new secretary to better leverage city dollars with state resources.

“We will be working with the mayor on strengthening business opportunities through our financial programs, marketing the city at trade shows, and in creating business incubators,” said Dave Edgerley, DBED’s secretary.

Showing panache in international business, Dixon already has lined up a business development trip Israel in October and is rezoning several parcels of deep-water land at the Port as a new maritime district to increase development and usage.

However, Baltimore still faces several hurdles, according to area economists.

“Property taxes are too high and the lack of diversity of housing stock and the reputation of Baltimore City schools will be constraints,” said Anirban Basu of the Sage Policy Group. “The city also needs to focus on its distribution industry, which is an important employer of entry level and lower skilled workers,” he added.
Balmurfan no está en línea  
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #2346
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Film in Baltimore

This is kind of off topic, but I was wondering if any of you knew of good opportunities for Film Internships in Baltimore. I have been looking for a while, but have yet to find anything.
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #2347
Eerik

Likes (Received): 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore View Post
I am with you on this one. Yes, they really look nice, but of course there are some downsides to it. I agree with you Pennster. The architect should have tried a little harder to build these homes in a manner where they would've truly fit in. People in Federal hill pay a pretty penny for their homes not to be blocked but future development.

The entire issue of access to the harbor is nothing new for Baltimore. Even during original settlement, there were ongoing controversies regarding access to the water. In those days it had more to do with commercial concerns, as marsh was filled in, new bulkheads created and old ones expanded. There were many existing property owners who suddenly found them selves being "cut-off" from the water. It took years to mitigate such claims in colonial Annapolis.

So while I'd hate to see development and progress hampered by laws, I think there is a genuine concern. When one property owner feels their capital investment is threatened by new development, the precedent is very clear: nine times out of ten, Maryland law will support the plaintiff in these matters.
Eerik no está en línea  
Old March 28th, 2007, 01:04 AM   #2348
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

Aside from zoning and URP, I don't see how anyone can claim they have a right to a view, unless one's property abuts the water How the heck can one claim they've been hurt? No one's owed the view of the damn water, or anything else, unless it's written into law like the aforementioned.

Commerce might be different if someone else filled in the water between them, but otherwise, I can't see how someone is owed or deserved of a particular view. The water is near, but seperate, it is not your property. One takes the risk on their "capital investment".

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old March 28th, 2007, 01:25 AM   #2349

Quote:
they look nice, but they blocked my view of the domino sign. i do like that they will fill in the "hole" that has been circling around digital harbor high school! they've got the first 10 units up and they're bricking them now. looks like they'll be ready to go in about two months at most!

Looks like we're neighbors. Thankfully, I did not get hit too hard on the view obstruction. I agree with everyone about how they don't fit into the neighborhood. I mean, not 2, 3, 4, but FIVE stories. They might as well have made a highrise. Instead, it's just tall enough to block everyone's view and look awkward in the neighborhood, but not tall enough to have any impact besides being a townhome.
21230 no está en línea  
Old March 28th, 2007, 01:43 AM   #2350
getontrac

^When and if the housing market goes bust, they'll be broken into walk-up apartments like the homes in Mt. Vernon!

Nate
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:15 AM   #2351
folsomfanatic

A day in Baltimore- Federal Hill/Locust Point Development

Took some pictures on my ride home pertaining to some of the things discussed earlier today. ENJOY!
If they aren't showing up for you, my blog sometimes makes you refresh to see pics on here. if you can't see them, go here:

http://folsomfanatic.blogspot.com/

South Baltimore's new gateway---BP and Quiznos! (beats the vacant station i guess)

out of scale townhomes. Why 5+ stories?!

Talk about a "wall" of development!

NV Homes Townhouses going up along Fort Avenue!

Silo Point is looking AMAZING!

A lot of progress has been made!

Last edited by folsomfanatic; March 28th, 2007 at 02:23 AM.
folsomfanatic no está en línea  
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:40 AM   #2352
Furiine
Proud Marylander

Great pics, folsom. I agree, I'm kind of questioning 5-story townhomes, but they look good either way. Silo Point is really coming along.
Furiine no está en línea  
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:44 AM   #2353
getontrac

Nice.

The new houses in Locust Point have such a reserved austerity to them.

Nate
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:46 AM   #2354
folsomfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
Nice.

The new houses in Locust Point have such a reserved austerity to them.

Nate
i think they're cool, but they need some character. they look too much like public housing IMHO. i wish they'd have some color to bring out the character.
Old March 28th, 2007, 04:56 AM   #2355
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

No reply for my last post yet.

Also, very nice pics.

Very nice angles as well

Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old March 28th, 2007, 05:03 AM   #2356
SoBoChris
7th generation SoBoean

Likes (Received): 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
^When and if the housing market goes bust, they'll be broken into walk-up apartments like the homes in Mt. Vernon!

Nate
That's the one thing I've worried about for a very long time. People think this neighborhood is so stable, but I think it was more stable 20 years ago before this became such a popular area to live in. There was a time that I knew nearly everyone on my block (I'm 28), and I hardly know any of the people here now. When I do finally meet them, the next thing I know, they've moved or worse yet had a child. Having a baby and living in the city is like water and oil to these people, it just doesn't mix. Nah, I'll take the old families like my own who not only built this area, but stayed while the rest of the city flew to the suburbs. Now, not many of us patriot families are left, and I'm very much afraid that one day this area won't be so popular and will be left a ghetto.

I'm not normally this pessimistic, but this truly is one of my fears. I love this neighborhood. It's a part of me. It's a part of my history.
SoBoChris está en línea ahora  
Old March 28th, 2007, 05:04 AM   #2357
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreborn1 View Post
This is kind of off topic, but I was wondering if any of you knew of good opportunities for Film Internships in Baltimore. I have been looking for a while, but have yet to find anything.
Not exactly what you're looking for, but a friend was a volunteer at the Maryland Film Fest http://www.mdfilmfest.com/2007/, chatted up some folks and got a small part in John Waters' "A Dirty Shame." Said it was a great experience and could've led to more, but a steady, lucrative job beckoned.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old March 28th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #2358
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBoChris View Post
I'm very much afraid that one day this area won't be so popular and will be left a ghetto.
Understand your fears, but keep in mind that the ghettoization of many areas in the decades since 1940 was the result of a "perfect storm" -- deferred maintenance during the Depression, massive and rapid in-migration of war workers from Appalachia and the South and the resulting housing shortage that spurred landlords to break up the big houses in Mt. Vernon, Reservior Hill and elsewhere, a massive and rapid post-WWII out-migration fueled by highways, cheap land, and cheap mortgages, etc. Then fear, racism, riots, and the advent of truly nasty drugs like crack did their damage ...

Sounds "pollyanna-ish," but the worst is behind us city lovers. The Boston Globe Magazine had an article this weekend that said the folks who need to worry are the boomers with McMansions in the 'burbs. Not enough Gen Xs and Ys coming behind to fill all of 'em.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old March 28th, 2007, 06:09 AM   #2359
getontrac

So history tells me, Federal Hill was an over-dense slum (though perhaps not a ghetto), and then the highway condemnation left the neighborhood vacant. I've talked to some older people who are amazed that people want to live in Federal Hill; they spent their formative years trying to get the hell out!

As a side note, given that S. Baltimore has solidified quite a bit, would not the quality of at least ES there be on the up and up with many more active and committed parents (parents--and/or lack thereof: the main reason why schools suck)?

Nate
Old March 28th, 2007, 07:05 AM   #2360
Exrexnotex

Likes (Received): 5

Four Seasons site...

Closed Thread