daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 28th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #2381
B'moreOrioles
B'MORE LIKE CHARM CITY

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudibjr View Post
Didn't the metro west building recently (within the last 5 years) get a makeover?
Yes, they did. They gave it the traditional brick look that we Baltimoreans are so used to seeing.
B'moreOrioles no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #2382
B'moreOrioles
B'MORE LIKE CHARM CITY

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreDeb View Post
If anyone is interested, here's the official plat of the planned Athena Square development in Greektown . . . the development next to the planned KSI project.

http://www.mdarchives.state.md.us/me.../ds00158-1.tif

I'm going to see if there's anything for the KSI project available yet.
Yes, i'm going to see if there's anything on the KSI thingy as well. If they plan on breaking ground some time this spring, we should atleast get to see what we will be receiving.
B'moreOrioles no está en línea  
Old March 28th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #2383
baltimoreisbest

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreguy View Post
If the Social Security Admin decides to Move to West Port that would guarantee the the 65 story office tower. The Social Security Building is 1.5 million square feet. The U of Maryland is looking to take that over. The Social Security Admin no longer needs 1.5 million square feet, but would still probably need at least 750,000 square feet in the West Port Tower. If the West Port Tower is built it could give us a 900 foot plus tower.
Somehow I think that the SS Administration will want large floorplates instead of small ones that are components of a large tower. A 900 foot tower on that side of the city would also be way out of proportion not only with Baltimore's skyline, but also the distribution of its buildings.
baltimoreisbest no está en línea  
Old March 28th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #2384
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreisbest View Post
Somehow I think that the SS Administration will want large floorplates instead of small ones that are components of a large tower. A 900 foot tower on that side of the city would also be way out of proportion not only with Baltimore's skyline, but also the distribution of its buildings.
if we ever got a 900-footer, you would NEVER hear a complaint from me.....LOL. i wouldn't care less where it was placed.

Last edited by MasonsInquiries; March 28th, 2007 at 07:11 PM.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old March 28th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #2385
BaltimoreDeb

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'moreOrioles View Post
They're building a Wegmans in the city? HOORAY!! I shop there faithfully. It's a shame I have to go to Hunt Valley. It really is a nice quality store.
Oh, this is very, very, very much just a rumor.

Nevertheless, I did some snooping in the Maryland SDAT database. The Tulkoff properties on South Conkling (1200 and 1211) changed hands just this past January. The owners are Tulkoff Hops LLC and Tulkoff Main South LLC. The partnership names mean nothing, so we don't know who is behind the purchase.

Also, looks like this purchase was in the works for a while; I did a search and found this document. I think the Gunther Main South LLC is probably the same partnership (or some version thereof):

http://textonly.mde.state.md.us/asse...y_Parcel_5.pdf

This interesting document gives a brief history of the site . . . which was where Gunther Brewing Co. was located. Tulkoffs did not purchase it until 1980 or so.

When we remodeled our rowhouse in Greektown, we found an empty Gunther Brewing Co. bottle in the rear wall . . . dating from about 1918 or so. It's a nice souvenir of a Baltimore long past.

We will just have to wait and see what happens!!

Last edited by BaltimoreDeb; March 28th, 2007 at 07:11 PM.
BaltimoreDeb no está en línea  
Old March 28th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #2386
MtVernator
Baltimore Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Good point. Think, however, that everyone's gotten their argument chops down to the point where we could get the fighting over in a couple years. Plus, the footprint of new construction would take up the lot just to the south of WH as well and would be big enough for retail to anchor that section of Chas. St. A two-fer!
Like the old Buttery anchors the building across the street? I say fill in the empty lots first.
MtVernator no está en línea  
Old March 28th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #2387
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

sorry

i think i got my pics working again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by folsomfanatic View Post
http://folsomfanatic.blogspot.com/

South Baltimore's new gateway---BP and Quiznos! (beats the vacant station i guess)

out of scale townhomes. Why 5+ stories?!

Talk about a "wall" of development!

NV Homes Townhouses going up along Fort Avenue!

Silo Point is looking AMAZING!

A lot of progress has been made!
[/QUOTE]
Old March 28th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #2388
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtVernator View Post
Like the old Buttery anchors the building across the street? I say fill in the empty lots first.
Touche.

If you want action on the other empty Charles Street lots (SW corner Charles and Read, north of the old Gampy's, NW corner of Charles and Eager), go straight to the owner, Kingdon Gould III [email protected]

More at http://www.pmi-parking.net/team.htm
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old March 28th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #2389
Baltimoreguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreisbest View Post
HCFA Originally was going to move in the 50 story Murdock Tower in the West SIde before Murdock pulled out. I'm sure the floor plate size on the 65 story tower would be big enough for the social security admin. A 65 story office building will be at least 850 feet tall and as tall as 950. Yes it will stand out.
With the next tallest buildings being 700 to 800 feet tall.
Baltimoreguy no está en línea  
Old March 28th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #2390
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 807

READY. SET. SHOP!

The new Filene's at Lockwood Place, Pratt Street, Downtown Baltimore.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #2391
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

Hopefully the Men's section is better than the teeny closet of a men's department at the Timonium store.

I'll be there tomororw!
cgunna no está en línea  
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #2392
Xander21
B-More Believer

Likes (Received): 10

Is Lockwood Place fully leased now?

They've got Best Buy, PF Changs, Filenes... am i missing something?
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #2393
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander21 View Post
Is Lockwood Place fully leased now?

They've got Best Buy, PF Changs, Filenes... am i missing something?
panera is coming in, as well as a brazillian restaurant
Old March 28th, 2007, 10:02 PM   #2394
Xander21
B-More Believer

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by folsomfanatic View Post
panera is coming in, as well as a brazillian restaurant
Gotcha thanks. I really hope the old Fuddruckers space becomes something other than a chain restaurant then. We need more retail on Pratt. A Crate & Barrel would be a good fit there I think.
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #2395
scottbbfm

Likes (Received): 22

details post super-block meeting

The long-awaited redevelopment of a blighted swath of Baltimore's west side will be expanded and under way by sometime next year under an agreement signed today by city officials and one of the city's biggest charities.

City development officials and the Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Foundation signed a memorandum of understanding in which the city and the foundation will swap properties in a part of the city's old retail district known as the "superblock."

The swap will enable the Chera/Dawson Group, the developer selected by the city two years ago to revitalize the area, to proceed with a development of 400 to 500 market rate apartments, 200,000 square feet of retail space and parking in an area bounded by Howard, West Lexington, Liberty and West Fayette streets. The Weinberg Foundation currently owns more than half the properties in that area, and the city had threatened to condemn the buildings before reaching the settlement.

In exchange for giving up its properties, the Weinberg Foundation will be given properties north of Lexington Street for a development it plans with Baltimore-based Cordish Co.

Cordish Co. envisions building a mixed-use tower with apartments or offices or both, with retail on the first level and parking above the shops, said David Cordish, the firm's president and chairman.

The agreement also heads off a looming court fight between one of Baltimore's most powerful and influential institutions and the city. With $2 billion in assets, the Weinberg Foundation is a major benefactor in the area, with its founders' names on dozens of buildings including a YMCA and a cancer institute.

"We know all about the settlement and are extremely pleased with the resolution," Cordish said yesterday. "It is a true win-win-win. The main winner is the city of Baltimore and the citizens, which will be able to reap the benefits in the short term of a revitalized superblock area. The Weinberg Foundation and the Cordish Co. have a major development role in the superblock, which we are looking forward to."

The superblock is the largest redevelopment site on the west side and is considered the linchpin for bringing residents, shops and businesses to a deteriorated stretch between Charles Center to the east and the University of Maryland complex to the west.

S. Jerome Hagley III, executive vice president of the Harold Dawson Co., a member of the development team and a spokesman for Lexington Square, said the city and the foundation agreed to swap land, giving the city title to parcels needed for the superblock redevelopment and giving the foundation property for its own development with the Cordish Co.

The city's Board of Estimates approved an agreement in January to sell 37 properties -- more than half owned by the foundation -- on 3.6 acres in the superblock for $21.6 million.

Hagley said yesterday the developers are working through a schematic design in hopes of submitting it to the BDC Friday.

"It's a very positive step," Hagley said. "We're excited they reached an agreement on a land swap and how they're going to divvy up the parcels on the west side. ... We're looking forward to taking title by the end of the year and getting started.

"Whatever their agreement, we're happy the city and the Weinberg Foundation have come to an agreement. We look forward to collaborating with the Weinbergs ... so we can coordinate their plans for the west side with our plans for the west side. We'll be neighbors over there.

While details of the land swap were not immediately available, the agreement may resurrect all or parts of an earlier land swap agreement between the city and the foundation.

The charity's president, Shale D. Stiller, has said the foundation had accepted a BDC proposal that it exchange its properties on the south side of Lexington Street for properties being acquired by the city on the north side of Lexington Street. That was the reason, Stiller has said, that the foundation did not originally submit a bid in October 2003 to redevelop the superblock. But after the city's deadline for bids from potential superblock developers had passed, the city in mid-2004 notified the foundation it could not deliver on the land swap.

Since then, the foundation refused to sell the properties and last July proposed to develop along with Cordish Co. a mix of housing, offices and shops totaling more than 2 million square feet.

Business leaders, including the Downtown Partnership, had been pushing the two sides for a quick resolution.

"The New York team and Weinberg team seem to be heading in the direction they intended," said Kirby Fowler, president of the nonprofit Downtown Partnership, who said he had not seen the agreement but understood it involved a land swap. "It's imperative that there is progress on the superblock and this agreement is a step in the right direction."
scottbbfm no está en línea  
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #2396
BaltimoreDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
READY. SET. SHOP!

The new Filene's at Lockwood Place, Pratt Street, Downtown Baltimore.
Y'know, Filene's Basement used to be so much better than it is now. I used to go there for suits all the time. Now mostly what they have is schlock. I hope the men's is better - might be. And maybe they've gotten better overall . . . I haven't been there for a while.
BaltimoreDeb no está en línea  
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:36 AM   #2397
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2654

I have never shopped at a Wegmans before, but there was a very interesting article in the Sun a while back when the Wegmans opened in Hunt Valley. The article was poking fun at everyone in Suburbia going crazy over how great it is to have a Wegmans and how original and creative the concept is. The author reminded everyone that there are no fewer than seven markets in Baltimore that have operated using the same "original" concept for many years, one of which (Lexington Market) has been around for nearly 300 years.
So my question is, would a Wegmans coming to the city threaten the existence of Baltimore's municipal markets (more than they already are)? Or do you think they could co-exist?
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #2398
PeterSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbbfm View Post

In exchange for giving up its properties, the Weinberg Foundation will be given properties north of Lexington Street for a development it plans with Baltimore-based Cordish Co.

Cordish Co. envisions building a mixed-use tower with apartments or offices or both, with retail on the first level and parking above the shops, said David Cordish, the firm's president and chairman.
Is this a new tower that we're hearing about for the first time?
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #2399
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

sounds like it to me.
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #2400
PeterSmith

Well then, that's very cool. It might be an office tower too. That's two towers that Cordish has in the pipelines now. Pretty cool.

Closed Thread