daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 30th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #2461
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

Middle Branch and or westport can certainly be considered part of the CBD , but with regard to tourists and those who plan to be walking, its way outside of the CBD. Harbor East on the otherhand could certainly be considered the CBD.

As for Harbor Point, so far its up in the air what they are going to build correct? It seems the Thames Street Wharf has been held up and that along with Will's pier were the primary pieces of that development. Outside of that they planned to build mostly just offices because of the issues with the land. An arena would make excellent use of the waterfront property.

I also dont really see the Middle Branch area as far enough yet to build a welcoming arena for the city. If the arena were on that side of town it would have to be close to M&T Bank so the fans could atleast walk to some good retail , and be within (approaching long) walking distance of the water for other attractions. Isolating them on that side of town would not be good. If Middle Branch were already under development and we could see where it was going I might be in favor of it, but right now Middle Branch is still a big question mark, in need of that anchor in the community...which could be the arena. I just don't want the arena to end up over there and then Middle Branch fall through, and we get stuck with a nice arena ina decent part of town, then 40 50 or 60 years they will be asking the same questions we are right now.
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:59 AM   #2462
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

Baltimore gets stiffed twice in Yahoo news today.

Front page story on illegal immigrants raid
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070329/...migration_raid

And then instead of mentioning the pumpkins playing in Baltimore, they say DC

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070328/...nm/pumpkins_dc

"After the May 22 show at the Grand Rex, the Pumpkins will head to the Dutch city of Landgraf for the Pinkpop festival on May 28. They will subsequently travel to Spain, Germany, Portugal, Austria, Italy, Switzerland and England. They will also play the North American V Festival shows in Washington, D.C. on August 5 and Toronto on September 8. A statement said to "stay tuned" for news on more North American dates"

House3780 no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2007, 01:14 AM   #2463
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

I was told by an executive on Struever's staff that

a 270,000 sq ft office building will start in Harbor Point this summer along with 400 apartments/condo's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreborn1 View Post
Middle Branch and or westport can certainly be considered part of the CBD , but with regard to tourists and those who plan to be walking, its way outside of the CBD. Harbor East on the otherhand could certainly be considered the CBD.

As for Harbor Point, so far its up in the air what they are going to build correct? It seems the Thames Street Wharf has been held up and that along with Will's pier were the primary pieces of that development. Outside of that they planned to build mostly just offices because of the issues with the land. An arena would make excellent use of the waterfront property.

I also dont really see the Middle Branch area as far enough yet to build a welcoming arena for the city. If the arena were on that side of town it would have to be close to M&T Bank so the fans could atleast walk to some good retail , and be within (approaching long) walking distance of the water for other attractions. Isolating them on that side of town would not be good. If Middle Branch were already under development and we could see where it was going I might be in favor of it, but right now Middle Branch is still a big question mark, in need of that anchor in the community...which could be the arena. I just don't want the arena to end up over there and then Middle Branch fall through, and we get stuck with a nice arena ina decent part of town, then 40 50 or 60 years they will be asking the same questions we are right now.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2007, 01:18 AM   #2464
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

E-Mail I posted last month about Harbor Point/East

Yes, this deal is a hummer! We’ve been working on it for 8 months almost completely unknown to anyone other than the inside teams.

The Four Seasons Tower and Legg Mason will start together on a shared parking foundation. The emphasis in construction will be on Legg Mason due to their projected occupancy in May 2009, but the two towers will be built together. We expect the hotel and condos to deliver in early 2010. Retail will be on street level and 2 floors on the Legg building. Best guess is about 45,000 ft.

Harbor Point will begin in May. The program is the same as it has been. Probably about 25,000SF of retail in phase 1.

Will be ready to announce new retail in Parcel B soon, but leases are still being negotiated and we have a policy not to announce until the ink is on the lease.

Best regards,

Struever

Struever Bros. Eccles & Rouse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 8:38 PM
To: Struever
Subject: Wow Legg Mason(Love all your updates)

Mr. Struever,

I just have a few questions.

1. Will the Four Seasons Tower and the Legg Mason Tower both start construction this spring?

If no, when will the Four Seasons start? Is the Four Seasons 36 stories tall with a 200 room hotel and 130 condo's? Will there be street level retail in each building? How many sq feet of retail ?

2. Is Harbor Point still slated to start this spring with over 300 condo's/apartments and a 250,000 sq ft office building. How many sq ft of retail will be in the first phase?

3. Are there any new retailers besides Arhaus, Landmark, and the Athletic Club in the Vue and Four Seasons/Legg Mason/Harbor Point?

Thanks for you updates and a great day for Baltimore
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2007, 01:43 AM   #2465
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

A good link to click on sometime. http://www.planetizen.com/
Some interesting articles on Baltimore development/density.
Old March 30th, 2007, 01:52 AM   #2466
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Superblock WJZ News http://wjz.com/local/local_story_087132430.html
Old March 30th, 2007, 05:28 AM   #2467
Interestedreader

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreborn1 View Post

Patience is a virtue....

The Middle Branch is VERY important to the city fathers and mothers...
Interestedreader no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2007, 07:15 AM   #2468
Eerik

Likes (Received): 205

Baltimore Sun Owner Tribune Pondering $8 Billion Takeover Bid

Baltimore -- Tribune, the Chicago-based owner of The Baltimore Sun, could be sold by the end of the week, Bloomberg News reported. Real estate billionaire Sam Zell has offered $8 billion for the company, which put itself on the auction block last fall, and has since received inquiries from McLean-based Gannett, several private equity firms and a pair of Los Angeles billionaires. Locally, a group led by former Baltimore County Executive Ted Venetoulis made public its interest in acquiring The Sun. All told, Tribune owns 11 daily newspapers and 25 TV stations, as well as the Chicago Cubs baseball team. Bloomberg said that Zell's offer primarily is competing with the company's plan to reorganize. If successful in his bid, Zell said earlier this month that he plans to keep the company's TV and newspapers assets in tact.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aQGZ6UMkrZSA
Eerik no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #2469
micrip

Likes (Received): 1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerik View Post
A few years ago I had the opportunity to look at regional stats for various malls in the area. According to credit card use, and zip-origin, more than half the shoppers at Pentagon City are from PG County. This is around the same time PG residents became very vocal about their lack of shopping options.

It's amazing they are willing to drive that far to do shopping. I hate to bring up the issue of race, but what else could it be? Why doesn't PG have a major shopping mall?

Eh, who knows. Maybe it's a good thing they don't: who needs another Tysons-styled retail center.
I can tell you from personal experience that we get tons of shoppers from PG County at Annapolis Mall. A large proportion of our deliveries are to places such as Bowie, Clinton, Mitchellville, etc. It's an easy jaunt east on US50 to Annapolis, especially with the mall actually being 5 miles west of Annapolis.
micrip no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #2470
micrip

Likes (Received): 1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
When you have a minute, write more about the negative impact of Baltimore not having an arena for three years. Not seeing it, other than that it would be tough on the Blast. Closest venue that could accommodate them is Comcast Arena at UM. Playing there in the interim, though, could help them build their DC audience. Would we really miss not having Blue Man Group or Christina Aguilera or Disney on Ice or the circus in town for a while?

Here's an excerpt from a longer article that helps make the argument for keeping the arena at Baltimore and Howard Streets

[snip]
Steve Weathers, president and CEO of the Regional Growth Partnership in Toledo, Ohio, says that successful downtown arenas all share certain traits. Most tend to be near bus and subway stations, which reduces the hassle of stadium parking. It's also ideal if a critical mass of residents and office workers live and work within walking distance. Many will spend money along the way, he says. Another ingredient is keeping the facility active with concerts and other events when the team's away. “You need to draw people to the arena all year round,” he says.
[snip]

Current site would probably be large enough if the arena was built out to the sidewalks of Baltimore, Howard, Hopkins Place and Lombard Streets. The current garage and surface parking eat up a lot of valuable space. Roads in and out of Canton don't seem adequate to the traffic demand. If folks are complaining about the traffic the Icon project would allegedly draw, they'd be apoplectic about an arena. Harbor Point's moving forward with offices and housing. Middle Branch would be cool, but Ray Lewis's development team got the part with the best access and the chance to share parking with Oriole Park and M&T Bank Stadium.
It's already built partially over the sidewalks, by about 5-6 feet on both the Howard and Hopkins Place sides. The arena floor is also 10-15 ft below street level on the Howard side..less so on the Hopkins Place side, which is why the apparrent hieght of the building seems low.

The bottom line is...the current site is too small for a first rate replacement. Plus, despite some arguments to the contrary, we must not be without a building while another is being built. For example, the circus pens Baltimore into its itinerary every March. With no arena, they will go elsewhere for that week, and could decide they like it better there and never come back.
micrip no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #2471
pennster

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
I can tell you from personal experience that we get tons of shoppers from PG County at Annapolis Mall. A large proportion of our deliveries are to places such as Bowie, Clinton, Mitchellville, etc. It's an easy jaunt east on US50 to Annapolis, especially with the mall actually being 5 miles west of Annapolis.
Annapolis Mall is just outside the city's western border. It's only 3 miles and a 10 minute drive from the State House. But you're right, the mall is just about 12 miles from Bowie on the PG/Anne Arundel border. Of course, you get tons of intercounty shoppers in any area.
pennster no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:00 PM   #2472
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

2 Baltimore Aquarium videos to watch: http://www.mddailyrecord.com/article...125&type=Daily

It's a new ad campaign they are trying to lure new visitors.
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #2473
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Angelos still a contender in “superblock” fight

BALTIMORE (Map, News) - An agreement reached Wednesday between Baltimore City officials and the Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Foundation to move forward the redevelopment of the west-site project known as “superblock” by swapping land and each party playing a major role in the future of the area, will not put a stop to legal action by lawyer and Orioles team owner Peter Angelos.

Angelos’s development company, Atrium at Market Square, LLC and two other plaintiffs filed a lawsuit earlier this month challenging the Baltimore Development Corporation’s autonomy to enter into an agreement with Lexington Square Partners to develop the property and the BDC’s role in the selection process.

“I am surprised that no one asked how this will impact Angelos’s lawsuit,” said Shale Stiller, president of the Weinberg Foundation. “This agreement won't stop his lawsuit, which seeks to reopen the selection process by the BDC based on the fact that [Nam Seo] Koo’s property was omitted from the original RFP and if Baltimore City can't acquire Koo’s property, that may well happen.”

The city is hoping that Angelos and the other plaintiffs will see that with the signing of the agreement between the city and the Weinberg Foundation, progress is being made on the project.

“Though Angelos filed the lawsuit, it does not ask for any injunctive relief,” said Baltimore City Solicitor George Nilson. “Clearly it was prompted by his perception that there has not been significant progress on the west side. We will respond to it in April. My hope is that Mr. Angelos and the other plaintiffs will see that with the signing of the agreement progress is being made and once Lexington Square Partners releases is plans for the site on March 31, he will not continue with the suit.”

Neither the Baltimore Development Corporation nor Angelos’s attorney, M. Albert Figinski, were available for comment by press time.

[email protected]

Will Angelos go quietly?
Old March 30th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #2474
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

Yet another restaurant? One Hundred East Pratt Street is sporting a new sign, which reads "Premier Restaurant Site Available". This leads one to question; is Legal Seafood leaving, or are they leasing the space between Joseph Banks and American Express that was used for construction access?

Also, the mystery condo development that I asked about several months ago on Saratoga Street has now been solved. Someone thought it was the building at Cathedral and Saratoga, but it isn't. It is the old St. Alphonsus Hall near Park and Saratoga on the West Side! From the BBJ:

An Upper Marlboro developer is gearing up for the launch of a $5 million renovation of the former St. Alphonsus Hall in Baltimore, a Catholic school that Phoenix Developers LLC hopes to turn into a 19-unit condominium building.

Renovation work at the Saratoga Condominiums at 125 W. Saratoga St., could begin in a month or two and should be finished by year end or early 2008, Phoenix President Donald Brown said. Units are expected to sell for between $100,000 and $600,000.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; March 30th, 2007 at 04:09 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2007, 02:28 PM   #2475
Hood

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interestedreader View Post
Oh and by the way, there is NO WAY the arena goes in the superblock. The entire political landscape would IMPLODE.
I don't understand the political explosion. I though the whole idea of the superblock was to consolidate the parcels so they could be sold to one developer who would then be able to control the development thereby facilitating the rebuilding of that area. I realize that the vendors and shop owners are extremely upset about being displaced. But that firestorm is done now that the land is being transferred. As far as I see it, development will not run its course and we know the policial will it so save the west side. I think if the arena plan does that, our elected officials will get in line. I think the parking garage could be built first and those stores could be relocated to the ground floor of the parking component of the ne corner where I labeled parking. I see no reason why that couldn’t be a garage like the one that houses flemmings, roys, james joyce in harbor east. Stores on the ground, parking up above. But beef up the foundations and columns so it can accommodate an office tower on top in the tuture. Nice new store fronts. Instant tenant mix. And give them lease rates that are fair as part of their relocation deal. Perhaps with some city assistance.

Then the arena could mimic the same. Put retail around the perimeter and put the arena floor up a few levels so you can accommodate the perimeter retail. Like MSG. Provide service entrances at grade and interior ramping to truck in and out equipment to the ground level.

There are an infinite amount of reasons why the arena wants to be there. CBD. Next to light rail. Next to metro. Clear out blight of the west side. Close to convention center and new convention center hotel. To me this is a no-brainer.
Hood no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #2476
Brian21

I think Peter Angelos should buy the "One Light Street" site. What do you guys think?
Old March 30th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #2477
Interestedreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbaltimore View Post
I don't understand the political explosion. I though the whole idea of the superblock was to consolidate the parcels so they could be sold to one developer who would then be able to control the development thereby facilitating the rebuilding of that area. I realize that the vendors and shop owners are extremely upset about being displaced. But that firestorm is done now that the land is being transferred. As far as I see it, development will not run its course and we know the policial will it so save the west side. I think if the arena plan does that, our elected officials will get in line. I think the parking garage could be built first and those stores could be relocated to the ground floor of the parking component of the ne corner where I labeled parking. I see no reason why that couldn’t be a garage like the one that houses flemmings, roys, james joyce in harbor east. Stores on the ground, parking up above. But beef up the foundations and columns so it can accommodate an office tower on top in the tuture. Nice new store fronts. Instant tenant mix. And give them lease rates that are fair as part of their relocation deal. Perhaps with some city assistance.

Then the arena could mimic the same. Put retail around the perimeter and put the arena floor up a few levels so you can accommodate the perimeter retail. Like MSG. Provide service entrances at grade and interior ramping to truck in and out equipment to the ground level.

There are an infinite amount of reasons why the arena wants to be there. CBD. Next to light rail. Next to metro. Clear out blight of the west side. Close to convention center and new convention center hotel. To me this is a no-brainer.
Great points. Here's the reason for the implosion:

City Council and other community activists were in an uprise with the thought of building a convention center hotel with public money when there existed proposals that involved private investment. With the Superblock, you have two development teams that are prepared to make private investment to an area blighted by decay. Why move the arena to that location and spend public dollars when some level of private investment revitalizes the area? In light of the convention center hotel fiasco, politicians can't sell that to their constituency or community activists. I'm not saying that thinking is right or wrong. Its all subjective. However, I am saying that's reality.

Now that the Superblock is "underway" (spin, spin, spin), its makes the case for the development of the arena as one of the final pieces to redeveloping that west side corridor. However, politicians will not want to tell its constituency that they are shutting down the arena for two to three years. The powers-that-be will make the case that "complementary" mix-use development is in order where the arena sits today and it continues the momentum established by Superblock and Centerpoint. Again, it may not be the optimal scenario but its reality.

Contrary to belief, a comprehensive and new arena program will fit at the existing location. The issue will always be the fear of the hiatus. Someone else said it correctly. No one wants to risk 1) Bookings finding a more competent location than the arena while its shut down; and 2) citizens and their families missing out on "family entertainment" activities.

The arena will be somewhere else in the "new CBD" which can include the "non-traditional" areas of downtown. Once upon time, I remember people saying, "who wants to go all the way down to Camden Yards! Keep Memorial Stadium in place!" People will go to Canton or the Middle Branch for an arena event. Now, I don't think Canton will happen. I think its the middle branch.

IMO
Old March 30th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #2478
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian21 View Post
I think Peter Angelos should buy the "One Light Street" site. What do you guys think?
Absolutely. With the proceeds from the sale of the O's.

Of course, given how slow he is to pull the trigger on development (2 Charles Center reno took forever; convention hotel was much talk, no action) expect 1 Light to remain an empty lot for the next decade.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old March 30th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #2479
Interestedreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian21 View Post
What would you want him to program there?
Old March 30th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #2480
scottbbfm

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
Yet another restaurant? One Hundred East Pratt Street is sporting a new sign, which reads "Premier Restaurant Site Available". This leads one to question; is Legal Seafood leaving, or are they leasing the space between Joseph Banks and American Express that was used for construction access?
The 'construction access' is actually construction....its the lobby being built specifically for T.Rowe.

I agree with you though, I have no idea where exactly its going to be, or if someone is leaving.
scottbbfm no está en línea  

Closed Thread