daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 31st, 2007, 06:55 AM   #2521
scando

Likes (Received): 453

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Cool. Wonder if we should start an arena thread. Probably driving forumers who could care less about it nuts.
Sounds like a good idea to me. Aside from this thread, nobody else is talking about an arena. I care and would like to have a new one, but it's another one of those things that depend on the State, which is dealing with upcoming deficits. Building an arena is probably real low on the list of priorities compared to a $40 billion transportation deficit and the problems of too many people retiring and going on Medicare at the same time.
scando no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2007, 09:56 AM   #2522
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
precisely.

well-said, and this is the bottom line of this conversation. i think we're all starting to realize the BDC chose the WRONG convention center hotel plan.
Yes we realized that here from day one...that site would have been absolutely perfect for the new arena. But the powers that be could not see the forest for the trees...

I wonder if there's a way to fit it between the 2 stadiums?
micrip no está en línea  
Old March 31st, 2007, 03:15 PM   #2523
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

West-side story: one step forward, one step back
Jacques Kelly

Originally published Mar 31, 2007

Jacques Kelly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will this be the year when that elusive magic touch arrives at Howard and Lexington? My eyes have glazed over while I've read stacks and more stacks of redevelopment plans for Baltimore's old downtown shopping district.
Seriously. There were proposals for Lexington Street during the mayoral administration of Theodore R. McKeldin. That's a long time for a place to be ailing - 40 years and counting.

And because I enjoyed so many good times in this part of Baltimore, I hope that it can make the transition to a new day.

Other places have been reconstituted and recovered a lot faster. In the 1950s, East Pratt Street facing the harbor was the domain of downtown panhandlers. It was a skid row of cheap bars and hotels; Baltimoreans tolerated it at the time because we had a working waterfront that justified the warehouse-tattoo parlor look. But in just about a decade, Pratt Street jumped from flophouse to Harborplace.

Today, the corner of Pratt and Gay is a prestigious retailing address with hefty commercial rents and corresponding tax assessments.

The change has hardly been as rapid at Howard and Lexington. The area around the Lexington Market and the old department stores has been locked in a frustrating dance of one step forward, one step back.

I think of billionaire David Murdock's tries in the early 1980s to make something of the old Hochschild-Hutzler stores site. Developer David Hillman turned the old May-Hecht store into apartments. The state pumped millions into Camden Yards and the Hippodrome. The Bank of America took on Howard, Baltimore and Fayette streets for the Centerpoint project. The Weinberg Foundation restored the old Stewart's store.

Along the way, Howard Street was completely repaved, then was torn up for light rail track. In 2001, a tunnel under the street made national headlines when a train caught fire.

The University of Maryland has transformed its sprawling downtown campus along the Greene-Lombard corridor and thereby created a demand for downtown housing for students and staff.

And this spring, construction crews are making BGE's old Lexington building into apartments.

When you start listing the individual components here - and the money invested in them -the west side should be enjoying a nice comeback, as so many other Baltimore neighborhoods have.

Not so. One day this week, I walked along Lexington Street from Charles Center to Lexington Market. I looked at the boarded-up windows, the stores with going-out-of-business signs, the trash on the streets. I've lost patience with the promises and plans.

I thought that by 2007, something would have been accomplished here, given the efforts of so many downtown players.

If we could turn around the moribund Pratt Street of the 1960s, why is Lexington Street still such a mess?

[email protected]
Old March 31st, 2007, 03:16 PM   #2524
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

From Struever's Bid Board(Project start dates)

Project Contact Description Length Est. Start Status
The American Brewery Project Jimmy Stewart • Adaptive reuse for commercial application
• Historic renovation
• 62,000 square feet for restoration of the American Brewery Bottle Building
• 33,000 square feet for restoration of the American Brewery Brewhouse Building
Spring 2007 On Hold
The Olmsted Project Jimmy Stewart • Mixed-use mid-rise retail and residential in Charles Village
• Parking garage
• LEED Silver Certified Structure
4th Quarter 2007 On Hold
The City Pier Project Jimmy Stewart • Renovation of pier and head building
• Hotel and retail
Pier - Fall 2007; Hotel/Building On Hold
State Center Project Jimmy Stewart • $800 million development
• Mixed-use office, retail, residential, and hotel
• 25 acres

• Construction estimated to start January 2009. Preconstruction opportunities currently exist. (i.e. architects, engineers, etc.) Janury 2009 On Hold
Forest Glen National Park Seminary Site Work Jimmy Stewart • Historic renovation of National Park Seminary
• 29 buildings of which 25 are historic
• Renovation into 85 mixed-income rental units.
Spring 2007 On Hold
Forest Glen National Park Seminary Garage Jimmy Stewart • 200-space concrete garage
• 2-levels
Summr 2007 On Hold
Harbor Point Project Jimmy Stewart • $650 million mixed-use development
• Mixed-use office, retail, residential
• Environmental remediation already completed
• Waterfront promenade
• Parking garage
Summer 2007 On Hold
Barclay/Old Goucher Jimmy Stewart Rehab/Construction of 300 Units Fall 2007 On Hold
1040 HULL STREET SUITE 200 BALTIMORE, MARYLAND 21230 443.573.4000
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old March 31st, 2007, 03:18 PM   #2525
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

Very true on Howard and Lexington

I'm hoping for a major change in this area in 5 years. This is my guess when the project will be completely finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
West-side story: one step forward, one step back
Jacques Kelly

Originally published Mar 31, 2007

Jacques Kelly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will this be the year when that elusive magic touch arrives at Howard and Lexington? My eyes have glazed over while I've read stacks and more stacks of redevelopment plans for Baltimore's old downtown shopping district.
Seriously. There were proposals for Lexington Street during the mayoral administration of Theodore R. McKeldin. That's a long time for a place to be ailing - 40 years and counting.

And because I enjoyed so many good times in this part of Baltimore, I hope that it can make the transition to a new day.

Other places have been reconstituted and recovered a lot faster. In the 1950s, East Pratt Street facing the harbor was the domain of downtown panhandlers. It was a skid row of cheap bars and hotels; Baltimoreans tolerated it at the time because we had a working waterfront that justified the warehouse-tattoo parlor look. But in just about a decade, Pratt Street jumped from flophouse to Harborplace.

Today, the corner of Pratt and Gay is a prestigious retailing address with hefty commercial rents and corresponding tax assessments.

The change has hardly been as rapid at Howard and Lexington. The area around the Lexington Market and the old department stores has been locked in a frustrating dance of one step forward, one step back.

I think of billionaire David Murdock's tries in the early 1980s to make something of the old Hochschild-Hutzler stores site. Developer David Hillman turned the old May-Hecht store into apartments. The state pumped millions into Camden Yards and the Hippodrome. The Bank of America took on Howard, Baltimore and Fayette streets for the Centerpoint project. The Weinberg Foundation restored the old Stewart's store.

Along the way, Howard Street was completely repaved, then was torn up for light rail track. In 2001, a tunnel under the street made national headlines when a train caught fire.

The University of Maryland has transformed its sprawling downtown campus along the Greene-Lombard corridor and thereby created a demand for downtown housing for students and staff.

And this spring, construction crews are making BGE's old Lexington building into apartments.

When you start listing the individual components here - and the money invested in them -the west side should be enjoying a nice comeback, as so many other Baltimore neighborhoods have.

Not so. One day this week, I walked along Lexington Street from Charles Center to Lexington Market. I looked at the boarded-up windows, the stores with going-out-of-business signs, the trash on the streets. I've lost patience with the promises and plans.

I thought that by 2007, something would have been accomplished here, given the efforts of so many downtown players.

If we could turn around the moribund Pratt Street of the 1960s, why is Lexington Street still such a mess?

[email protected]
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old March 31st, 2007, 03:42 PM   #2526
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Would be nice.
Old March 31st, 2007, 04:07 PM   #2527
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
... it's another one of those things that depend on the State, which is dealing with upcoming deficits. Building an arena is probably real low on the list of priorities compared to a $40 billion transportation deficit and the problems of too many people retiring and going on Medicare at the same time.
You're right about the transpo deficit and Medicare.

However ... large projects that capture people's imaginations (and not just those on this forum) seem to take on a life of their own. If the MSA's report says let's rebuild on the current arena site, arena partisans will point to the already gi-normous state investment in the West Side--billions for UMB & UMMC, subway, light rail, stadia, convention center--and say: this is the final piece. The city at long last (maybe) has some movement on the Superblock. Once those are done, the momentum will be unstoppable. Or so the argument will go ...

At any rate, not sure how to migrate all this arena stuff to its own thread, but anticipate another explosion of commentary once the MSA releases the report this Spring.

Last edited by jamie_hunt; March 31st, 2007 at 08:03 PM.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old March 31st, 2007, 04:15 PM   #2528
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Hey, isn't today the day that the conceptual plans are to be released for the "Superblock"?
Old March 31st, 2007, 05:14 PM   #2529
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

Agreed about the Center St spot....not good.

It's too close to low rise residential Mt. Vernon houses and is just past the location where it would be in scale with the surroundings.

I'm biased here. I lived at 611 Park Ave, just a block north and I would have loathed the idea of it being there. Mt. Vernon needs more than just Park Ave to be the "quiet" street. And if it's built there, it certainly wouldn't.

More importantly, maybe they should move Greyhound there. Full circle?

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old March 31st, 2007, 05:21 PM   #2530
getontrac

I'd hate to see the Old Goucher/Barclay renovations on hold.

Nate
Old March 31st, 2007, 05:30 PM   #2531
getontrac

West Baltimore Development

Not threadworthy yet, but, check this out....

www.uptonwesthomes.com

Also check out "Argyle Townhomes" on the 1200 block of Arglye St, you won't believe how much money those houses are listing for.......

W. Baltimore has the best housing stock in the Old city outside of Mt. Vernon. Really glad to see it coming around after all these years.

Nate
Old March 31st, 2007, 06:16 PM   #2532
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2659

Thanks for the link, Nate. That site lists that these homes are located near a "future light rail station." Any idea what this is referring to? It can't be referring to the Red Line because it mentions the Red Line separately.

It's interesting how nearly all of the attractions it lists are yet to happen: "Theatre District", "Red Line", "State Center", etc.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old March 31st, 2007, 07:59 PM   #2533
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
Mt. Vernon needs more than just Park Ave to be the "quiet" street. And if [the arena is] built there, it certainly wouldn't.
Right.

Would be interesting if Hamilton (another quiet MV street) were extended west through the Howard-Franklin-Centre-Park lot as the spine of a mixed-used (but primarily residential) development. Possibly Hamilton could continue across Howard, passing just north of the Mayfair to connect MV with Seton Hill. Finally.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:27 AM   #2534
getontrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
Thanks for the link, Nate. That site lists that these homes are located near a "future light rail station." Any idea what this is referring to? It can't be referring to the Red Line because it mentions the Red Line separately.

It's interesting how nearly all of the attractions it lists are yet to happen: "Theatre District", "Red Line", "State Center", etc.
I meant to talk to the other TRAC guys about your message question, Peter. I'll get back with you Sunday or Monday. It's been a crazy week for me.

My guess is that they're typical real estate agents/developers who sell things that aren't quite right--like saying a house is in one neighborhood when it most certainly is not!

Presumably they would be refering to the Red Line. It can't be anything else. Most think a stop at Carey St would be near certain (Ditch, of course). Others postulate another station toward Fremont, less favorable, IMO. There need only be one station in the Ditch, but Carey's not far away from this. This redevelopment is close to the existing Metro, too.

There are many great houses (those that remain )around there and so few people are aware of that.

Nate
Old April 1st, 2007, 02:25 AM   #2535
LilMoeJoeJoe

Likes (Received): 20

Movie Shooter

FYI:******** Baltimore, M&T Bank Stadium, and the Inner Harbor are all featured briefly but prominently in the movie Shooter.
LilMoeJoeJoe no está en línea  
Old April 1st, 2007, 06:49 AM   #2536
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
Not threadworthy yet, but, check this out....

www.uptonwesthomes.com

Also check out "Argyle Townhomes" on the 1200 block of Arglye St, you won't believe how much money those houses are listing for.......

W. Baltimore has the best housing stock in the Old **** outside of Mt. Vernon. Really glad to see it coming around after all these years.

Nate
hmmmmm, i wonder how many townhomes this development is going to deliver.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old April 1st, 2007, 07:50 AM   #2537
getontrac

True, but *** ***** ** **** ******** ****** ***** Red Line *** ***** is ****** *******. ******* ***** 10 IH ***** ** **** *** **** ** *** **** *** arena ***** **** parking *** (*** **** **** **** ***) As I said, *** **** *** ***** 300 E. Pratt and B***. ***** *** ****** *** ***, of course, **'* gondola. ****, there's ***** *** *** **** *** ****** ***** ***** would ***** cause Business/********/******* Growth, ***** plus a **** **** ******** ****.

Still, the *** ***** and the Olmstead by S*** **** *** will transform ****, ***** **** ****. **** *** ******* **** ***** Key Highway and Silo ***** can ******* *****, yet ***** **** ***** really *******a difference, t**. **** ******* ** *****.

So that's what I've heard will really transform the ****, I think it'd be great. What do you guys think???

EDIT: **********W*******T*************F******************!!

Last edited by getontrac; April 1st, 2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old April 1st, 2007, 09:23 AM   #2538
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Copywrited words?!

This has gotta be an ***** ****s joke. How could the words ne-s, stre-t, bui-ding, and other common words, not used as product or place names, possibly be copywrited?

Ah....busted!!! Look what got edited out!! Apr-l and Fo-ls!!

Last edited by micrip; April 1st, 2007 at 09:26 AM. Reason: add info
micrip no está en línea  
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:14 AM   #2539
MountVEE

***** ****s?

haha. it has to be a joke. it even blocked "biulding" for christ sake. What would B-more conversations be with the word "harber?!!"

misspelling intentional, btw.
MountVEE no está en línea  
Old April 1st, 2007, 03:12 PM   #2540
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2659

Well, it looks like this is going to put a damper on our conversation. There is no way someone can copyright such common words and even the names of countries. Where is SSC located? The Netherlands, right? Maybe Dutch law is as crazy as the rest of the country. Until then, quien habla espanol?
PeterSmith no está en línea  

Closed Thread