daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 1st, 2007, 03:17 PM   #2541
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

I don't think it's an ***** ****s joke being that they are not allowed on this Forum anywhere.

In other ***s:

Legg says leaving **** was never option in ***** deal
Baltimore Business Journal - March 30, 2007by Daniel J. SernovitzStaff

Legg Mason Inc. has never considered backing out of its ***ly inked lease for space at the planned Harbor East development, and a company official said **** officials are simply wrong if they are offering a financial assistance package to the developers of the project for fear Legg will break its lease and move out of Baltimore.

"The notion that Legg could still back out of the deal and move out of the **** is patently wrong, and we don't understand what the big deal is," said Legg spokeswoman Mary Athridge, who declined to speculate on whether the **** has other motivations for backing the financial aid ********. Athridge said Legg has been clear with the **** about that position.

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2007, 03:19 PM   #2542
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Developer says public cash not enough to alter plans
Baltimore Business Journal - March 30, 2007by Daniel J. SernovitzStaff

Developer Dave Holmes said he does not believe the promise of financial assistance from the **** will be enough for him to reduce the height of a 95-foot-high parking garage he is planning to build in Fells Point.

Holmes declined to say how much he would need to make the structure smaller, but he said he is willing to work with officials from the Baltimore Development Corp. and is open to any suggestions the BDC has about the project.
Old April 1st, 2007, 08:26 PM   #2543
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

***** ****s

Really funny. I have to say most websites wouldn't be that **** league
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old April 1st, 2007, 08:34 PM   #2544
Javalady1

Likes (Received): 0

Okay, so I've been away for a few days. How is anyone supposed to read the forum when it is just full of '*******' ? May as well shut it down.
Javalady1 no está en línea  
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:07 PM   #2545
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

I normally check the board several times a day, but im retiring early because this is bull****

Last edited by Baltimoreborn1; April 2nd, 2007 at 01:15 AM.
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old April 2nd, 2007, 01:56 AM   #2546
bmore87
B-MORE LIKE US

Likes (Received): 2

Lets hope SSC's legal team get this under control. This is so d*** distracting
bmore87 no está en línea  
Old April 2nd, 2007, 02:17 AM   #2547
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

yeah, it really sucks. the sooner they fix this, the better.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old April 2nd, 2007, 02:26 AM   #2548
bmore87
B-MORE LIKE US

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator
Today at the SSC offices, we received a letter from an attorney who represents a few various clients. It has been requested that we censor certain words that these clients hold as trademark. Including, but not limited to certain city and country names.

Due to the fact that it is a weekend, The SSC legal team is out of the office and unable to advise us. In the meantime we've taken steps to censor the words on the list.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

(April Fools!)
Wow, they sure did fool us.
bmore87 no está en línea  
Old April 2nd, 2007, 05:15 AM   #2549
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2659

And yet they still haven't fixed it. Watch it take them like a week to undo this
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old April 2nd, 2007, 09:54 AM   #2550
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

This Apri- Foo-s joke is about as dumb as New Coke was 25 years ago, and is leaving an equally bad taste. Suppose they can't fix this?
micrip no está en línea  
Old April 2nd, 2007, 01:32 PM   #2551
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 811

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
Wada, I believe this is the GoogleEarth overhead of the arena sight you've proposed, yes?
Thank you Peter. That is the block. The block due south has nothing historic on it and could also be used. As you can see, much of it is already cleared. The Arena could be elevated one story above the ground and Mulberry Street could still pass under it.

The block due West, not only contains the Mayfair, but also the Congress Apartments and the old Eastern High School Apartments. Both structures have been renovated, so demolishing them is out of the question. They are beautiful and historic buildings fully occupied.

Regardless, I still like this general area for an Arena because of the multi mode transit access and the additional development it would spur.

With regards to Abe Pollen, screw him. Basketball does not have anti-trust protection like baseball. Teams can move any place they like and the other owners can't do a darned thing about it! You can thank Al Davis, the owner of the Oakland Raiders, for that. He challenged the NFL's relocation rules in Federal Court and won. The only league that can control where teams locate now is baseball and that is because of the anti-trust protection they enjoy.

So in short, if you can buy the team you can move it to Baltimore!

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; April 2nd, 2007 at 03:48 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old April 2nd, 2007, 01:54 PM   #2552
30 Floors Up

The Hendler's Creamery renovation in Jonestown is about to begin according to the BBJ. They have companies ready to move into the space when it is complete. This is a beautiful building originally built to hold Streetcars.

Filene's was PACKED on Saturday at 1:00. Every register was open and there were lines to check out. The tourists were downtown in droves and you could hardly walk a block without seeing an "I Just Got A Bargain At Filene's" shopping bag. Even the sailors from a visiting Swedish tall ship had them. It actually was crowded - in the store and on the streets! Yes, I took a picture right there in the middle of the store. I'll post it later when I get it up on my web.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 04:46 PM   #2553
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post

With regards to Abe Pollin, screw him. Basketball does not have anti-trust protection like baseball ... in short, if you can buy the team you can move it to Baltimore!
Ha! Abe may have done that to himself. Still owes $110 million on the Verizon Center; is now looking for DC taxpayers to fund improvements. Can't help but think there's an opening here for a team to move to Baltimore if we build the arena right. Of course, if that happens, it may mean the current site is absolutely out of the question. Team would have to play there while the new place was being built. Still think the Russell-Bush-Wicomico site would have the most appeal to the most fans ... not that it's the best city site. We'll see shortly what the Stadium Authority thinks.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old April 2nd, 2007, 04:46 PM   #2554
cgunna
2A

Co-sign on the Filene's comment....

I was there on Friday. Store was packed. To my delight, it had a life sized Men's department as opposed to the alternative up 83.

I think Urban Outfitters open on Wednesday. Should be great.

I think the new retail will actually HELP The Gallery.
cgunna no está en línea  
Old April 2nd, 2007, 06:08 PM   #2555
30 Floors Up

HORAY! Perhaps we will get an Architectural columnist again!

Break it up and sell the pieces.

Tribune Co. to be sold

Baltimore Business Journal - 11:03 AM EDT Monday, April 2, 2007by Julekha DashStaff
Print this Article Email this Article Reprints RSS Feeds Most Viewed Most Emailed
The parent company of the Baltimore Sun will be sold to a real estate mogul and go private, the Tribune Co. said Monday morning.

Sam Zell will invest $315 million in the Chicago media company and become chairman when the deal is completed sometime in the fourth quarter. Tribune shareholders will receive $34 per share. Separately, Tribune announced it will sell the Chicago Cubs and its 25 percent interest in Comcast SportsNet Chicago after the 2007 baseball season.

The impact that Tribune's sale will have on the Baltimore Sun was unclear Monday morning. Sun spokeswoman Linda Yurche said a town hall meeting of management and employees will be held Monday afternoon.

The Tribune Co. also owns the Los Angeles Times, Long Island's Newsday and the Orlando Sentinel. The nation's third largest newspaper publisher, Tribune also operates 23 television stations.

Tribune executives had been weighing a plan to sell all or parts of the company for months, under pressure to increase shareholder value as the newspaper industry grapples with dwindling readership and increased competition for readers and advertising revenue from the Internet.

The Sun had an average weekday circulation of 236,172, while Sunday's circulation totaled 380,701.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 07:03 PM   #2556
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

Was at Filene's B yesterday.

Good size crowd.

I liked the selection and prices for men's clothing!

I'm coming back after next paycheck!

It's nice and Metro convenient, too

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old April 2nd, 2007, 08:31 PM   #2557
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post

HOORAY! Perhaps we will get an Architectural columnist again!
Tribune Co. to be sold
FWIW: sent a somewhat sarcastic note (see below) to The Sun re: the absence of Ed Gunts in August. Here's their reply:

Cc: [email protected]
Subject: conflict of interest?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 12:44:41 -0400

Dear Mr. Hunt:

The Sun's public editor, Paul Moore, forwarded your e-mail to me, and I
wanted to respond. I appreciate your interest in The Sun's architecture
criticism and coverage, and I assure you that I share your interest in the
topic. But, I have to clear up some assertions in your note.

Contrary to the statement in your e-mail, Ed Gunts is not "lost" to the
newspaper. Ed requested a six-month leave of absence, and after decades of service to the paper
he was granted the time off. In fact, he's now about one-third of his way
through that personal leave, and he's expected to return to the newspaper
in December. We're looking forward to it.

While we feel his temporary absence, we have made a strong -- and, I
think, successful -- effort to continue to vigorously cover architecture,
planning, development and related issues in the city and state. A review
of our archives shows the range and depth of both news stories and
features on these subjects in recent months. For example, the ongoing
battle over the Rochambeau has received extensive coverage in The Sun -- 5
articles, 8 letters to the editor, 1 editorial and 1 op-ed column in less
than two months. Similar play has been given to the controversies
surrounding the Harborview development.

Here is a sampling of other recent coverage:
--- August 3, 2006 - Front page - Condo craze losing steam by Lorraine
Mirabella
--- July 30, 2006 - Maryland front - Big Plans for Broadway: Duo envisions
redevelopment of Fells Point Street by Jill Rosen
--- July 22, 2006 - Front page - New bid for west side: Weinberg charity
poses idea amid dispute by Lorraine Mirabella
--- July 22, 2006 - Business - Shops, restaurants for Mechanic by Andrea
Walker
--- July 21, 2006 - Business - Prime site sold for skyscraper by Lorraine
Mirabella
--- July 16, 2006 - Sunday Business - Retailers shift to edgier and hip
displays and architecture to get shoppers' attention by Andrea Walker
--- July 16, 2006 - Modern Life - Imperfect Beauty: Some designers say
forget about balance and straight lines. The principle is asymmetry by
Stephanie Shapiro
--- July 14, 2006 - Business - Mix of ideas proposed for west side by
Lorraine Mirabella
--- July 5, 2006 - Business - Reinventing the cubicle by Barbara Rose

Finally, your attempt to compare Tom Pelton's Stony Run news story to the
Ed Gunts situation simply doesn't hold up. First of all, Tom writes news
stories -- not criticism and commentary -- and his news account of the Stony Run restoration initiative was a
balanced piece of reporting about a project that already is underway. This project is going to go forward -- whether or
not Tom wrote about it. And, Tom's home ownership in a nearby neighborhood
is not comparable to owning multiple investment properties in an area in which a
journalist is offering public criticism. These are just not analogous
situations.

Again, I do appreciate your interest in the newspaper, and we'd be happy
to answer any further questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Tim Franklin
Editor & Senior Vice President
The Baltimore Sun

----- Forwarded by Tim Franklin/BaltSun/TMC on 08/21/2006 12:01 PM -----

Paul Moore
08/19/2006 09:56 AM

To: Tim Franklin/BaltSun/[email protected]
cc:

---------------------- Forwarded by Paul Moore/BaltSun/TMC on 08/19/2006 09:59 AM ---------------------------
To: [email protected]
cc:

Mr. Moore --

I don't understand why it's a conflict of interest for Ed
Gunts to write about Mt. Vernon and own property there,
but it's _not_ a conflict for Tom Pelton to write about
the Stony Run project when he lives near it on Wilmslow
Road. Presumably, his property values are at stake as well.

Let me be clear: I have no problem with either reporter
writing about either area. They've earned my respect and
the respect of a lot of other people for their thoughtful,
even-handed reporting and sound judgment. This should
matter above all.

What I _do_ have a problem with is the loss of a first-
rate writer like Ed Gunts from the pages of The Sun over
such a trivial matter. But, if that's the standard you're
going to apply, then you should be consistent.

Sun readers would lose another good writer, but what else
is new?

James C. Hunt
Old April 2nd, 2007, 09:03 PM   #2558
30 Floors Up

That is interesting. At least your letter elicited a response. Mine didn’t. I too wrote to the public editor about the loss of the Architecture Column around the same time. My letter was much more generic and, I think, had a pleasant tone about it.

I pointed out that the Sun was closing all their overseas bureaus and purchasing more wire stories because, according to them, they wanted to “devote more resources to local news”. I then posed the question: “What can be more local than local architecture?” I got no response at all.

The quality of the Sun has really declined since it was locally owned. It started when the LA Times purchased it. It has really accelerated since the Tribune Company purchased the Times. They don't even have the courtesy to answer every public editor letter. If someone takes the time to write you, they deserve a response.

The NY Times ran a very long piece lamenting the decline of the Sun a few months ago. It explained how the Tribune was milking it for every penny they could get out of it, and how H.L. Mencken wouldn't even recognize the paper today.

At one time I couldn’t stand not reading the Sun every day. Now, I can take it or leave it. I've resolved that the Sun is just another piece of old Baltimore that has gone by the wayside. It has joined the ranks of Hutzlers, Hausner's, and the Harvey House in my book.

BTW: December has come and gone and still no Ed. They didn't say what year did they. If you feel like devoting even more time to a lost cause, forward your e-mail exchange to them and ask for an update. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a reply though.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; April 2nd, 2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 09:56 PM   #2559
Xander21
B-More Believer

Likes (Received): 10

Just took a little break from work to stroll around Mt. Vernon on this gorgeous day.

1209 N. Charles is flying up. They've "topped out" and are working on the interiors of the new sections. The older buildings that are connected to the project have been gutted and are awaiting work. There's a big sign advertising retail/restaurant space available there.

Looks like Cobbers Pub directly across the street from 1209 has closed. Too bad. Although it wasn't anything special, still don't like to see businesses fail.

Anyone have any idea when Bath Time is going to open up on Charles St? They've had their "coming soon" sign up for over a year.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:54 PM   #2560
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander21 View Post
Just took a little break from work to stroll around Mt. Vernon on this gorgeous day.

Looks like Cobbers Pub directly across the street from 1209 has closed. Too bad. Although it wasn't anything special, still don't like to see businesses fail.
Not good. But Brewers Art closing would be a real bummer.

30 Floors: will give The Sun folks time to suss out what the Trib's sale means for them before re-launching the "FREE ED GUNTS" campaign. They're probably dealing with enought botheration right now.

Anyone up for a "FREE THE CHARLES STREET LOTS" campaign directed at Kingdon Gould III?

Closed Thread