daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:45 AM   #2561
jpav

Likes (Received): 0

I walk past the Bath Time place almost every day. I don't think that place has any intention of opening up. Besides it is a ugly building so they should just build something new. Brewer's Art is always packed when I go in there on on Friday or Saturday night. Sol I think they will be fine.
jpav no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:55 AM   #2562
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

Steven W when are we supposed to hear good news again?
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:00 AM   #2563
k25150

Likes (Received): 414

I heard that Bath Time ran out of money and is sub-leasing the space or half of the space. They still might open. I know the owner but there are some shady issues as to who really owns it or where his money comes from. The Timonium store is nice and is still open.
k25150 no está en línea  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:10 AM   #2564
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreborn1 View Post
Steven W when are we supposed to hear good news again?
It's supposed to be this week some time. We'll see.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:20 AM   #2565
scando

Likes (Received): 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
Was at Filene's B yesterday.

Good size crowd.

I liked the selection and prices for men's clothing!

I'm coming back after next paycheck!

It's nice and Metro convenient, too

Nate
I'm in my grouch mode. I stopped into Filene's today, prepared to be real positive, looking forward to having a good place to shop. I wanted some short sleeve "work" shirts that were not white or blue (admittedly a rare commodity but I like color, even at work). None. I could have as many $50 long sleeve white shirts as I wanted (some even came in nifty boxes with ribbons) but nothing in colors, in fact not a single short sleeve non-casual shirt in the place. Going into summer at that. The little corner of the store with the men's clothes was nice but very limited. I keep hoping that one day I will be able to go into a store in the city and not puff and fume and drive out the the burbs to get what I need. Not today.
scando no está en línea  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:24 AM   #2566
scando

Likes (Received): 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Not good. But Brewers Art closing would be a real bummer.....

Anyone up for a "FREE THE CHARLES STREET LOTS" campaign directed at Kingdon Gould III?
Is there a reason to think that Brewer's Art would close? Every time I go past there at night, it is pretty busy.

Maybe we could agitate for a small garage inside a block to replace all those surface lots. It's not like they aren't busy but they sure are ugly.
scando no está en línea  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:57 PM   #2567
hpal3

Likes (Received): 4015

Save As My Homepage
Examiner.com Google Web
Baltimore | Change My City Clear, 53 °F - Forecast
5:54 AM April 3
View Print Edition

HomeNewsPoliticsEntertainmentSportsBusinessBlogsOpinionCity Guide MarketplaceClassifiedsAutosJobsReal Estate
Examiner Newsroom Yeas & Nays Scoop! Jim Williams Matt Palmer Frank DeFord Orioles Ravens Tips & Comments Submit a Photo
Local News The City Baltimore County Anne Arundel County Carroll County Harford County Howard County Maryland US World
Local Politics Maryland Politics White House North Korea Iraq Iran Bill Sammon Yeas & Nays
Local Entertainment Movies Movie Showtimes TV Music Restaurant Guide Events Calendar Strange
Local Sports Ravens Orioles Blast Jim Williams Matt Palmer Frank DeFord NASCAR Basketball College Football Soccer Hockey Baseball Golf
Local Business Technology Science Health Stock Market Stock Quotes
Baltimore in Videos Baltimore in Pictures Tapscott's Copy Desk Behind the Wheel Nate Beeler's Cartoons Today in History
Commentary Editorial Letters Nate Beeler's Cartoons
Restaurant Guide Movie Showtimes Events Calendar Maps Yellow Pages Government Traffic Weather

Autos Home Used Cars New Cars Sell a Vehicle Find a Dealer Research a Vehicle

Business
There is a more recent version of this article. View article history.
Official seeks ordinance amendment for Inner Harbor developers
2 hrs 54 ago Fairfax might clamp down on big-box retailers
2 hrs 54 ago Official seeks ordinance amendment for Inner Harbor developers
4 days ago Report: Increased development needed to deal with regional growth
4 days ago Official aims to make meeting details more accessible to county residents
4 days ago Angelos won't give up 'superblock' fight
5 days ago County takes on new housing in old neighborhoods
5 days ago Columbia candidates split on role of downtown redevelopment in campaign
5 days ago West Side development hinges on Lexington Street property
6 days ago Announcement on superblock development expected early today
6 days ago Building can soon begin again in Westminster

Printer Friendly | PDF | Email
Apr 3, 2007 3:00 AM (2 hrs 54 mins ago)
by Rita Chappelle, The Examiner
Font Size: a a A A
Current rank: # 341 of 22,465

BALTIMORE (Map, News) - Baltimore City housing commissioner Paul Graziano is seeking an amendment to the Key Highway Urban Renewal Ordinance, which would enable HarborView to build two 26-story buildings in addition to its plans for a 17-story high-rise known as The Pinnacle.

The move has left a sour taste in the mouths of local residents angered that additional building at the Inner Harbor will further comprise their view.

“The city needs to slow down the building here,” said Paul Robinson, spokesman for the Friends of Federal Hill Park. “All these skyscrapers are resulting in a line of demarcation that creates a disconnect between the surrounding neighborhoods and communities and limits our views of the harbor,” he said.

According to Robinson, the current city ordnance has provisions in it to protect view corridors of the harbor from the west to the east. “[HarborView’s] creative lawyers are interpreting the language to move their plans forward,” Robinson said.

However Frank Wise, vice president of HarborView Properties Development Company, says it is Baltimore City, not his firm, that is seeking the amendment.

“This is something that the Department of Planning wants, the current ordnance allows the housing commissioner to make changes to the master plan as time evolves as part of his interpretive powers,” Wise said.

Wise says his company is already approved to build The Pinnacle and, in their interpretation of the law, the two additional 26-story buildings nearby.

“The reality is that we are building far fewer units than the ordnance allows, and in response to community concerns we altered our plans. This is really about the community’s displeasure with the commissioner’s ‘interpretive powers,’ ” he added.

At present, the amendment is before the City Council’s Urban Affairs and Aging committee, chaired by City Councilwoman Agnes Welch.

“The amendment just came to us and we haven’t even looked at it or scheduled public hearings, but due process will occur,” she said.

Paul Graziano was not available for comment.

[email protected]

Examiner
hpal3 no está en línea  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:00 PM   #2568
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
Is there a reason to think that Brewer's Art would close? Every time I go past there at night, it is pretty busy.
No reason at all. It continues to be an enjoyable and well-loved destination.

FWIW: years ago, worked at Mercantile when it was across the street in the Monumental Life Building. Had a front-row seat to the demise of Danny's, a similarly well-loved Balto institutition on the NE corner of Charles and Biddle (building now being reno'ed as part of 1209 project). Long story short, sometimes a business closing has nothing to do with the location, and everything to do with who's running it.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:01 PM   #2569
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 812

Just like the swallows come back to Capistrano each March, and politicians flock to Washington every November, the tourists invade Baltimore starting in April!

A VISITING SWEDISH TALL SHIP

SATURDAY'S TOURISTS

AMERICANS ARE GETTING FAT!

FILENE'S

URBAN OUTFITTERS!

INSIDE URBAN OUTFITTERS - STOCKING THE STORE

Which leads me to this. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but General Growth Properties seems to be transforming the Pratt Street Pavilion from a food court/festival market place to a traditional mall. The Urban Outfitters is huge and takes up a lot of space that once was food stalls on the 2nd level. This has led to the creation of dead spaces and corridors that lead to blank walls. They have blocked doors that once went outside with clothing displays. The character of that pavilion has really changed and not for the better I might add.

I suspect that they are looking for other large retailers for the rest of the food court space on the 2nd floor. Eventually the small stores and eateries there now will be no more or will be significantly scaled back in scope. The Hooters, at the other end, has expanded and takes up twice as much space as it once did. Hooters and Urban Outfitters alone occupy space that, at one time, contained at least 10 different businesses. The remaining businesses on the Light Street side seem to be struggling because there is significantly reduced foot traffic. This has been caused by the circular layout being compromised.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; April 3rd, 2007 at 06:49 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:27 PM   #2570
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

development along key highway....

don't get me wrong, i am ALL FOR development along key highway. it has the potential to be as sleek as Boston Street in Canton and a great gateway into the City, but after last night i am a little concerned.

we were sitting on top of federal hill last night and it appears that when the roofs are put on the buildings at the ritz carlton, that the view of the water all the way to Canton will be gone. That's right, you will no longer have that historic water view out into the Harbor. it's a REAL shame.

i was equally concerned when i was in Harbor East and looked back to Federal Hill. It is sadly gone from the landscape as well. All that you can see now are the trees atop the hill and the flag pole. the towns and condos screen the rest of the hill.

this is excactly why taller development would have been better to enhance, open and ultimately preserve windows to key viewsheds. all of this 5 story development is walling off the water.

while development is great, it's sad when it erases parts of what make this city great. the views from/to federal hill is by far one of the most unique settings in the world and it has been greatly compromised. would other cities sacrifice such a great amenity for the sake of one extra floor of condos?

i just hope the city and developers get it right as they continue to develop down key highway....
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:11 PM   #2571
waj0527

Likes (Received): 484

Howard St. offices on superblock up for sale
Move seen as test of west side's appeal
By Lorraine Mirabella
Sun reporter
Originally published April 3, 2007

An office building at Howard and Lexington streets in downtown Baltimore, owned by Los Angeles billionaire David Murdock, is for sale in what could be an early test of how investors regard west-side redevelopment.

Advertisement
Click here to find out more!
Murdock is selling One Market Center, the former Hutzler's Palace department store and an adjacent seven-story office building he developed, to take advantage of investors' strong appetite for commercial properties at a time when the west side's revitalization appears to be gaining momentum, said Richard S. Toppe, president of a Castle and Cooke division that manages the property.

The two adjacent buildings at 200 N. Howard St. have been owned for about two decades by the Murdock Atrium Limited Partnership, which is controlled by Murdock, the owner and chairman of Castle & Cooke.

Murdock also developed the Harbor Court hotel in 1986 as one of the Inner Harbor's early high-profile projects. The hotel was rebranded the InterContinental Harbor Court Baltimore last year after a sale.

Toppe said it makes sense to put One Market Center up for sale now.

"There's positive momentum in the general area, given the superblock and other activity that Baltimore Development Corp. and the city is involved in," Toppe said. "There definitely is positive momentum in that part of town. And it's a good time to be a seller of commercial real estate in general."

The area's long-stalled redevelopment of the superblock - a six-block area bounded by Howard, Lexington, Liberty and Fayette streets, and viewed as a critical link in the city's west-side revitalization - got a boost last week when city officials and one of the area's biggest landowners, the Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Foundation, agreed to resolve a dispute over Weinberg-owned properties. The project is expected to inject hundreds of new residents, workers and shoppers into the former retail district.

Toppe said plans for the superblock and other nearby projects, such as the Weinberg Foundation's conversion of the former Stewart's department store for Catholic Relief Services worldwide headquarters, played into the company's decision to sell One Market Center.

The buildings had been offered for sale nearly two years ago but were pulled off the market because of lack of interest, Toppe said.

"This time around, we do have substantial interest in the property," said Bo Cashman, vice president of investment properties for CB Richard Ellis in Baltimore.

The seven-story building is now occupied mostly by telecommunications companies. The adjacent five-story building, constructed on the site of the former Hochschild Kohn department store, is vacant.

In the mid-1980s, it housed a financially struggling Hutzler's Palace, adjacent to the original Hutzler's department store. It was used for offices after Hutzler's Palace closed.

The two buildings, which together total about 200,000 square feet, are 70 percent occupied, Cashman said.

"It meets what a lot of investors are looking for today. You can stabilize and increase cash flow and create some value," Cashman said.

Though the city adopted an urban renewal plan for the west side in 1999, it took years for major redevelopment to occur. Some of the bigger projects have included the refurbished Hippodrome Theater and the 392-unit Centerpoint apartments with 33,000 square feet of new shops, including Starbucks, 7-Eleven and Salsarita's Fresh Cantina.

Bank of America, the developer of Centerpoint, sold that project in January to real estate investment trust Avalon Bay Communities Inc. for $78 million.

"Investors are always encouraged by activity," Cashman said. "Certainly there's been a lot of activity in that general area, starting with the Hippodrome and the new retail popping up."

He said that One Market Center could offer an alternative to pricier leases on Pratt Street in the central business district with the advantage of having access to light rail on Howard Street and to a subway stop.

"This could always be the value alternative to more centrally located office buildings," Cashman said.

[email protected]
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:38 PM   #2572
MtVernator
Baltimore Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Not good. But Brewers Art closing would be a real bummer.

Anyone up for a "FREE THE CHARLES STREET LOTS" campaign directed at Kingdon Gould III?
Brewers Art's bar is busy enough that I see it being around a while, but you never know when the owner will tire of long hours, have other personal issues or sell the business to someone that doesn't know how to run it. These are some usual dimises of independent businesses that are successful. Didn't Danny's close because the owners divorced?

I see Gould holding onto those lots until height limits are lifted. You never know. Councilman Mitchell willingly helped the leveling of those rowhouses at Mercy. He may not see the historic landscape of MT Vernon as that important either. If Gould and the other condo builder wanna-bees give him enough money for his Mayoral race, we could see 30 story condos on all those lots.

If the city is smart about it, they will require lots of parking with any of those projects, make them architecturally significant and be done with it. What is modern today will be historic in a hundred years.
MtVernator no está en línea  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:47 PM   #2573
jpav

When I went by the 10IH site the ArcWheeler sign didn't have a rendering of the building from what I could see. Does anyone think this means the design has changed?? The Hilton Is finally starting to rise, they are up a couple of floors now.
jpav no está en línea  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 09:37 PM   #2574
30 Floors Up

Hmmm. Brand spanking new.

http://www.baltimoredevelopment.com/...P%20032807.pdf

This RFP appears to cover areas that were not in the original Superblock proposal. The properties are next to the Whine/Cordish block. Page 27 shows the site (in yellow). Cordish is block A. New York C/F site is block B.

Page 47 shows the "Market Center Historic District", which I didn't even know existed, and what buildings must be saved, should be preserved, and can be torn down. Interesting.

REMEMBER LAST YEAR'S MESS?
Motivational speaker expected to draw crowd downtown

Baltimore Business Journal - 2:53 PM EDT Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Thousands of motorists are expected to clog downtown streets Wednesday morning in a quest for motivation at the First Mariner Arena, prompting a Baltimore business group to issue a rush-hour traffic alert. Author and motivational speaker Zig Ziglar is bringing his day-long "Get Motivated Seminar" to the 11,000-seat arena, and his slate of guest speakers -- personal finance maven Suze Orman, General Colin Powell and Johnny Carson sidekick Ed McMahon among them -- is expected to draw a packed house, the Downtown Partnership of Baltimore Inc. said Tuesday.

The group is anticipating an "influx of additional drivers" near the West Baltimore Street arena and on Tuesday warned the approximately 160,000 people who are downtown daily to find alternative ways to get around. "While the crowds will not be as large as a typical stadium event, they will add to the rush hour traffic volume and could cause delays," the organization said in the alert it sent via e-mail.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; April 3rd, 2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 10:22 PM   #2575
Hugh Jaramillo

Harbor Place

I too have noticed how HP is changing from the way it was when the Rouse Company still managed it. It seems as though the idea now with General Growth is to make it more like a small mall with anchor tenants and with shops that you can find in just about in an upscale suburban mall. Whereas before it was more like a unique "festive marketplace" like it's cousins in Boston and New York with a lot of small locally owned one of a kind shops. Is the new Urban Outfitters going to be going into both levels of that side of the Light Street pavilion? Whatever happened to the Discovery store that used to be on the ground floor level? Is it relocating to another section of the pavilion or is it gone altogether? I agree with the poster that said that while it is nice to be getting more retail downtown, what's the point if the selection is losuy and you still need to end up going to the suburbs for the things that you need.
Hugh Jaramillo no está en línea  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 10:50 PM   #2576
getontrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtVernator View Post
Brewers Art's bar is busy enough that I see it being around a while, but you never know when the owner will tire of long hours, have other personal issues or sell the business to someone that doesn't know how to run it. These are some usual dimises of independent businesses that are successful. Didn't Danny's close because the owners divorced?

I see Gould holding onto those lots until height limits are lifted. You never know. Councilman Mitchell willingly helped the leveling of those rowhouses at Mercy. He may not see the historic landscape of MT Vernon as that important either. If Gould and the other condo builder wanna-bees give him enough money for his Mayoral race, we could see 30 story condos on all those lots.

If the city is smart about it, they will require lots of parking with any of those projects, make them architecturally significant and be done with it. What is modern today will be historic in a hundred years.

The City and the neighborhood just got through with the new URP that decided height limits.

Mt. Vernon will torch City Hall if they try to change it now.

Given that we can't even get the Olmstead project breaking ground yet, there's little to be gained from badgering Kingdon at this time.The neighborhood is willing to wait until real estate is expensive enough to get a high-quality building with the necessary parking (enough, but not a lot--about 1 space per unit) and possibly replace the existing parking there.

Mt. Vernon has PLENTY of rehab potential left. We need to stabilize buildings and houses sooner than later. As much as I'd LOVE to see the PMI lots filled, I'd rather know that the Brexton won't burn down and the townhouses won't fall into rubble.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:01 PM   #2577
30 Floors Up

Just an educated guess, but if I were a betting man I would say the odds are that Streuver is working a deal of some sort with JHU for the Olmstead site and THAT is the reason for the delay. Simply speculation on my part. But Hopkins is running out of land at Homewood and Stueuver has worked with them many times. Streuver recently developed the dorm project across 33rd street from the site.

Everyone thought that the 4 Seasons delay was due to market conditions, but now we all know the truth.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; April 3rd, 2007 at 11:12 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:11 PM   #2578
B'moreOrioles
B'MORE LIKE CHARM CITY

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
Just an educated guess, but if I were a betting man I would say the odds are that Streuver is working a deal of some sort with JHU for the Olmstead site and THAT is the reason for the delay. Simply speculation on my part. But Hopkins is running out of land at Homewood and Stueuver has worked with them many times and recently developed the dorm project across the street from the site. Everyone thought that the 4 Seasons delay was due to market conditions, but now we all know the truth.
So, i'm wondering could this mean that the Olmstead could possibly become taller. Is this possible?
B'moreOrioles no está en línea  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:29 PM   #2579
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
there's little to be gained from badgering Kingdon at this time.
Right.

Need to start appending a winking smiley when I make facetious posts.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:54 PM   #2580
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'moreOrioles View Post
So, i'm wondering could this mean that the Olmstead could possibly become taller. Is this possible?
Possible.

I remember reading that Union Memorial is considering moving forward with a helipad.

This has Charles Village Residents about to burst a blood vessel. No one wants to hear helicopters landing and taking off outside their bedroom windows at all hours of the night.

If the helipad moves forward, I could see their being some sort of height issues with the site.
cgunna no está en línea  

Closed Thread