daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 25th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #241
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmore87 View Post
Talk about pandering for votes, look at what this state senator from Kent County is planning to do http://wjz.com/watercooler/local_story_018101605.html. Are any of you in favor of a second bay bridge in Baltimore County?
sure, why not? i'd be in favor of it.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #242
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

I heard yesterday that PNC is planning to lay off 700 Merc employees.
southbalto no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #243
Xander21
B-More Believer

Likes (Received): 10

"It's really about increasing the number of jobs in Baltimore," Williams said.

I'm going to take that as (hopefully) a positive sign that we'll be gaining a significant number of jobs and not losing them.
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #244
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpreston02 View Post
Perhaps, but didn't the city build all the infrastructure, roads, etc, and then have no one interested in industrial use? I'm in favor of the most efficient and dense use of the property (given its flexibility for many uses) so when it was zoned industrial, and there were no takers, doesn't that mean that industrial use isn't the best alternative?
No.

Plan for the future. The port is our greatest natural asset. There's hordes of lesser industrial space that can, is, and will be converted. The port built this city and will allow us to survive in a future, energy-scarce economy. Long-term planning is the key.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:46 AM   #245
getontrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
sure, why not? i'd be in favor of it.
There was an earlier itteration on this issue in Annapolis last year. (I attended that hearing). Nobody wants it in Kent. Kent has remained fairly free of sprawl and they want to keep it that way. Smart Growth is fairly sympatric with that sentiment in this case.

TRAC is for the bill with provisions that would allow a future rail line crossing and fairies. The environmental impact would be heavy and not to mention suck up more money we don't have for far better mass transit projects.

Nate
Old January 26th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #246
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

I'm crossing my fingers about the news about lots of jobs coming here. Wonder what it could be?

Also, great news about the Blackbirds. That would be pretty sweet, although I really wish it was an Arena Football league team. Still, it could be more incentive for a new arena to be built too.
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #247
Patrick33

Blackbirds

Just checked out the Blackbirds and American Indoor Football Association sites. There are many teams -- but only one other major city (Pittsburgh). Although glad to see Pittsburgh's team name is the River Rats. I couldn't have picked a better name for them.
Patrick33 no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2007, 01:51 AM   #248
bmore87
B-MORE LIKE US

Likes (Received): 2

Welcome to the forum Patrick. Yeah River Rats is the perfect name for Pittsburgh. lol.
bmore87 no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2007, 04:39 AM   #249
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Welcome to the Forum, Patrick33.

Please post often.
Old January 26th, 2007, 04:56 AM   #250
SoBoChris
7th generation SoBoean

Likes (Received): 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
Here's a report from the senior Baltimore Park Ranger from a housing-assigned police officer in Sharp-Leadenhall:

You remember the plans to develop Port Covington beyond the Wal-Mart?

Well, the word is that the Wal-Mart will now close because the land is too valuable.

As I say, intriguing info, but more research and verification needed on this...

Nate
I also heard that the PC Wal-Mart was going to close. That's two of us, so maybe there's some truth to it.

I won't miss it much. I agree with what some of you have said about the place. I personally call it Ghetto-Mart. The bus stop there is ALWAYS trashed. It's always in the SoBo Guide crime section for shoplifting. Its a damn shame that I live about a mile from the place and still find it necessary to drive to the Wal-Mart in Glen Burnie.
SoBoChris no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2007, 05:09 AM   #251
Javalady1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBoChris View Post
I also heard that the PC Wal-Mart was going to close. That's two of us, so maybe there's some truth to it.

I won't miss it much. I agree with what some of you have said about the place. I personally call it Ghetto-Mart. The bus stop there is ALWAYS trashed. It's always in the SoBo Guide crime section for shoplifting. Its a damn shame that I live about a mile from the place and still find it necessary to drive to the Wal-Mart in Glen Burnie.
I think there's good and bad in just about everything. I live about a mile from the PC Walmart as well. Have no problem going there. Just part of city living. If you go to the Walmart in Catonsville, you will most likely feel better about PC. I do think there is much better use for that property. I don't go there a lot, but I will miss having the convenience of Walmart being so close.
Javalady1 no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #252
getontrac

I found the atomosphere in and out of the Wal-Mart "on the water" to be remarkably like just about every other Wal-mart in the universe.

However, I think the clientele was a little more socio-economically diverse than average. I don't feel a valid reason to refer to the store in a derogatory fashion outside of Wal-Mart being Wal-Mart.

Nate
Old January 26th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #253
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbaltimore View Post
Plus the back roads offer a great alternative to the highways during rush hour. Through the city go south on hanover street. Follow Route 2 though cherry hill and brooklyn until you get to the AA County border. Make a right onto MD 170. Follow that to the airport loop road. Piece of cake. those are some great photos though.
Yes indeed....one of the great secrets. Everytime I fly I have to tell the cab driver to take that route as I live right off of 170 just south of the city line. Otherwize it would be twice the distance and twice the fare...

My nieghborhood is visible in the 2nd picture.
micrip no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #254
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBoChris View Post

I've been there several times and have never felt uncomfortable. Seems like any other Wally World to me, except less crowded. As much goes on at the Glen Burnie Wal Marts as here...you have to be alert no matter where you shop.

The parking lot near Sams Club is a good place to watch downtown fireworks, too. I was there on July 4 and there were hundreds there, of all races. It's about a mile closer to downtown than that other prime viewing spot, the Harbor Hospital lot.
micrip no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #255
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Mystery business has plans for Baltimore, but only the BDC knows what
JEN DEGREGORIO
Daily Record Business Writer
January 26, 2007
A big, new business could soon be coming to Baltimore. Or an established business could soon be leaving. Or expanding. Or relocating.

Something is definitely happening, but the Baltimore Development Corp.’s board members are the only ones who know what. And they aren’t telling.

“It’s not yet for public exposure,” said Arnold L. Williams, chairman of the BDC board.

The comment came after the BDC shooed reporters and other undesirables out of its monthly board meeting Thursday for a closed-door session. BDC meetings are supposed to be open to the public, according to a November ruling by Maryland’s highest court. But the city’s economic development agency can shut out the public when board members are discussing a company’s private financial data.

That was the excuse the board used when, after convening in the open for about 30 minutes, it closed its doors. About 10 days ago, some company approached the city about its desire to … do something “confidential.” The BDC board has been weighing various strategies to help that company accomplish its mysterious goal.

Reporters and others were pushed out of the session so the board could discuss the matter in private. More than an hour of the board’s roughly 90-minute session occurred behind closed doors.

Tapping their feet. Staring off into space. Squirming on uncomfortable furniture in the BDC’s 16th-floor lobby, discussing movies and television series “The Wire,” HBO’s homage to Charm City. That is how the three reporters charged with covering BDC board meetings spent most of Thursday’s meeting: waiting.

By the time the BDC opened its doors, the session was over. When asked what happened in the boardroom, Williams wouldn’t say.

“The name of the company deals with whether the company comes or not,” he said.

Does that mean that a new company is coming to Baltimore?

Williams said that was possible. But the company in question could also be relocating or expanding within Baltimore. It could also be a business that is threatening to leave the city and seeking tax credits or other incentives that would persuade it to stay.

Whatever the situation, the public will likely find out within 60 days, when the BDC has already decided what course to pursue, Williams said.

“Our responsibility is to make sure we can … retain jobs and businesses for Baltimore City, and in the private session that’s what we entertained,” he said.
Old January 26th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #256
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

I'm wondering if it's M&T Bank.
Old January 26th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #257
Brian21

Damn...Now we have to sit on edge of our seats wondering..
Old January 26th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #258
Gsol

Likes (Received): 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
I'm wondering if it's M&T Bank.
If M&T bank are pplanning to pack up their Buffalo operations and move to Balt., this can be cross checked with Buffalo media. If I have the time I'll check with the Buffalo Business Journal, their daily newspaper, etc. to see if there are any rumblings up there.

If anyone has any other ideas, try to cross check with local dailys or Websites. I can't believe this will be a secret for long. If the media is courious enough they can pry and find some unanmed source who is willing to talk. Thats what good journalists do.
Gsol no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #259
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 8

I don't see how “The name of the company deals with whether the company comes or not,” equals "It could also be a business that is threatening to leave the city and seeking tax credits or other incentives that would persuade it to stay."

Isn't it clear that a company is PLANNING on moving to Baltimore?
Old January 26th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #260
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsol View Post
If M&T bank are pplanning to pack up their Buffalo operations and move to Balt., this can be cross checked with Buffalo media. If I have the time I'll check with the Buffalo Business Journal, their daily newspaper, etc. to see if there are any rumblings up there.

If anyone has any other ideas, try to cross check with local dailys or Websites. I can't believe this will be a secret for long. If the media is courious enough they can pry and find some unanmed source who is willing to talk. Thats what good journalists do.
wow........the M&T bank headquarters possibly being here. now that would be something.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  

Closed Thread