daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 10th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #2721
waj0527

Likes (Received): 477

Thanks for the pictures. I drove along Key Hwy the other day to see some of the progress. That Ritz project is HULKING. I hope the skin makes it a bit more elegant.
waj0527 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #2722
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

i'm wondering if the naing towers are gonna' be shorter and squatter rather than taller and slimmer. i can't wait to hear the details for what he has in store for these sites. should be interesting.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old April 10th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #2723
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

Theres been a camera at Light and Pratt for at least a year now. And there have been at least 2 on lombard between president and light for at least a year also.

I think its good to put one at Conway at 395. I take that entire route to get to work and as Im waiting at the light I sometimes see semi's flying through red lights. If you dont wait a couple seconds after the light turns green you can get killed, espcially at 5 in the morning with cars and trucks coming off the highway at 50 plus miles an hour and no cops around.

I think its best to put a sign within a half mile of the light telling drivers about the photo enforcement because I believe cameras should be a deterrent to true red light running (while not causing accidents from people having to slam on their brakes), not a means to make easy money.

Last edited by House3780; April 10th, 2007 at 05:02 PM.
House3780 no está en línea  
Old April 10th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #2724
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by House3780 View Post
Theres been a camera at Light and Pratt for at least a year now.

I think its good to put one at Conway at 395. I take that entire route to get to work and as Im waiting at the light I sometimes see semi's flying through red lights. If you dont wait a couple seconds after the light turns green you can get killed, espcially at 5 in the morning with cars and trucks coming off the highway at 50 plus miles an hour and no cops around.

I think its best to put a sign within a half mile of the light telling drivers about the photo enforcement because I believe cameras should be a deterrent to true red light running, not a means to make easy money.
I just hope they enforce the rules on MTA drivers too. Just today, as I was driving down St. Paul, I watched a bus cross under a yellow light and block the intersection for the entire light. Needless to say the drivers going the opposite direction were pissed.

BTW, is it just me, or are the cab drivers in Baltimore the most clueless drivers in the world? In other cities like NYC, cabbies tend to be very aggressive. Here they just seem drive aimlessly around the city.
Old April 10th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #2725
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

Thanks for the pics. I was beginning to wonder if the Hilton had risen out of the ground yet as I hadn't been down in that area for probably close to two months or so now. I noticed something rising out of that area while watching the O's game yesterday and it's good to see that kind of progress. I'm interested in exactly what the skyline will look like from inside Camden Yards when the Hilton is completed.

Where is our news on 10 IH and many other projects? Seems like the last few months have been dead outside the Legg Mason news.
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old April 10th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #2726
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
We had one back in the mid 90's in the garage on Lombard and Market place. I went there a couple times and actually escaped with my life. Patron behavior was abominable and the place was trashed pretty quickly. Maybe the art house theaters in Harbor East will fare better because of their less popular movies.
Oh I remember the Harbor Park theater very well. I used to go there when i was a kid. It was a rough place indeed.

Maybe the memories of all the crime there have scared off mainstream theaters from returning.

Hopefully with all the progress in the past 10 years we can get past that.
cgunna no está en línea  
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #2727
Hugh Jaramillo

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I just hope they enforce the rules on MTA drivers too. Just today, as I was driving down St. Paul, I watched a bus cross under a yellow light and block the intersection for the entire light. Needless to say the drivers going the opposite direction were pissed.

BTW, is it just me, or are the cab drivers in Baltimore the most clueless drivers in the world? In other cities like NYC, cabbies tend to be very aggressive. Here they just seem drive aimlessly around the city.
No Huck you are not the only one. I will sometimes get a cab back home from Penn Station. Invariably the cab driver is not a native English speaker, the immigrant du jour type. Even though I only live several miles north on Charles Street, I always find myself repeating myself several times before they get where I want to go. In London for example, a cab driver has to study intensivley for 2 years to gain "the knowledge" and go before an examination board to be tested before they are allowed to be cab drivers. Although I did manage to stump one once when going to a friend's house well outside the cental London area in Higham's Park. But he was very polite and looked up the street in his A to Z road atlas and found it after only a slight delay. These guys over here are clueless!
Hugh Jaramillo no está en línea  
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #2728
B'moreOrioles
B'MORE LIKE CHARM CITY

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
Oh I remember the Harbor Park theater very well. I used to go there when i was a kid. It was a rough place indeed.

Maybe the memories of all the crime there have scared off mainstream theaters from returning.

Hopefully with all the progress in the past 10 years we can get past that.
Yes sir. That theatre was trach the day it opened back in the 1980's.
B'moreOrioles no está en línea  
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #2729
DCKenny

Maybe you catch a Hack I head that is popular in Baltimore and cheaper.
DCKenny no está en línea  
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #2730
tonyBmore
The rebirth of Bmore...

I remember seeing "ghostbusters" and "spies like us" at Harbor Park back in the day. A short walk down memory lane...Remember when there were several boarded up windows on the Lombard St. side of the building? That was a friend of mines handy work...he drove his car through the building driving us back to College Park from a Loyola College party. Needless to say, he wasn't sober. The best part of the story is the cops arrived on the scene (inside the lobby of the theater) and laughed their asses off for 45 minutes while my friend tried to change his shredded tire. After they changed it for him they let him pull out of the building and complete his journey to CP. Unbelievable, yet 100% true. I miss those days. Let's Go O's!
tonyBmore no está en línea  
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:48 PM   #2731
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'moreOrioles View Post
Yes sir. [Harbor Park Theater] was trash the day it opened back in the 1980's.
Saw U2's "Rattle and Hum" there without incident in December 1988, but two shootings in two months pretty much did it in. And if that hadn't, the advent of megaplexes with stadium seating would have.

Despite being an art house, The Charles usually has some mainstream fare available.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #2732
Brian21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post

I agree....some of the cab drivers here are morons. I've scene many accidents particularly downtown where cabs will stop in the middle of traffic to pick up a fare. Also yes...up in NYC those cabbies are nuts...lol. I went up there a few months ago and caught a cab Penn Station to Harlem...Let me just say my heart rate was double when I reached my destination..
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #2733
Brian21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCKenny View Post
Maybe you catch a Hack I head that is popular in Baltimore and cheaper.
Yeah its cheaper..but not safe. Alot of hacks here aren't even certified.
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #2734
DCer
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
1) This is great news. Im surprised no one made a bigger deal out of this. Now all we need to do is get Clark to move from Bethesda to Baltimore and we'd have ourselves a pretty solid construction company coup.
The Clarks live happily in MoCo (off Piney Meetinghouse Rd). I don't think anyone is going to get them to move from their long time headquarters in downtown Bethesda. If anything, they just won't want to make the commute!

I don't see why you would want a company already based in MD to move to Baltimore. If anything you should be looking for out of state companies. Rather divisive comment IMO...ONE MD.
DCer no está en línea  
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #2735
DCer
BANNED

The trailer for Live Free or Die Hard is on this site: http://www.livefreeordiehard.com/index_site.html

The BofA building is shown prominently.
DCer no está en línea  
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #2736
waj0527

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCer View Post
The Clarks live happily in MoCo (off Piney Meetinghouse Rd). I don't think anyone is going to get them to move from their long time headquarters in downtown Bethesda. If anything, they just won't want to make the commute!

I don't see why you would want a company already based in MD to move to Baltimore. If anything you should be looking for out of state companies. Rather divisive comment IMO...ONE MD.
Perhaps this comment was divisive, but I stand by it. if one company could choose downtown baltimore or bethesda as its home base. Of course I'd prefer they choose downtown baltimore. As for an out of town firm, I'm all for that too.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #2737
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian21 View Post
Yeah its cheaper..but not safe. Alot of hacks here aren't even certified.
None of the hacks are certified.
cgunna no está en línea  
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #2738
Hood

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
Perhaps this comment was divisive, but I stand by it. if one company could choose downtown baltimore or bethesda as its home base. Of course I'd prefer they choose downtown baltimore. As for an out of town firm, I'm all for that too.
While clark is in MD, its really a DC firm. They will never leave betheseda.
Hood no está en línea  
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #2739
waj0527

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbaltimore View Post
While clark is in MD, its really a DC firm. They will never leave betheseda.
That's partially why I said it'd be a heck of a coup if we got them to come to baltimore.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #2740
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Has anyone ever emailed ARCWheeler before?
I've tried recently. About 3 or 4 days ago. No answer yet. I just thought if maybe anyone else would like to e-mail them and ask about the status of 10 Inner Harbor, that I have the e-mail address if you wanted to e-mail them.
Here it is: [email protected]
Or you may want to contact Mr. Voneiff at [email protected]

I just thought maybe if there were more e-mails to them that they we all might have a better chance of getting some new info on this most exciting project.

Closed Thread