daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 10th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #2741
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

check out this link: http://www.ci.baltimore.md.us/govern...LakelandMP.pdf
Check out page "48".

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:42 PM   #2742
waj0527

Likes (Received): 474

I just sent ther following to both addresses:

Hello:

I am writing to find out more information regarding the progress of your 10 Inner Harbor development in downtown Baltimore. The Baltimore Business Journal and Baltimore Sun both indicated that design changes are being made and would be released to the public. Have I missed those renderings or are changes still being made? Is the building still on target to be 59 stories tall?

I’d appreciate any insight you can offer into this development.

Thanking you in advance,
waj0527
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #2743
waj0527

Likes (Received): 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
check out this link: http://www.ci.baltimore.md.us/govern...LakelandMP.pdf
Check out page "48".
From page 48:
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:02 AM   #2744
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

hmmmmmm, interesting pic. kinda' makes me wonder. patrick turner's project is going to move swiftly with this project once it gets started. it also looks like we're going to get a bridge from this development.

Last edited by MasonsInquiries; April 11th, 2007 at 12:25 AM.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #2745
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

what is that developement in the picture? It kind of reminds me of the new rotunda, whats up with that by the way?
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:25 AM   #2746
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

the westport development.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:32 AM   #2747
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

The pdf wont work for me, does it say anything about the development? Also that looks like the smallest 65 story tower ever.
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #2748
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

i sent an e-mail a few weeks ago. nothing in return.
southbalto no está en línea  
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:16 AM   #2749
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 208

IMO Westport will never happen unless a major developer takes over.
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:36 AM   #2750
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Thanks, waj.
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:42 AM   #2751
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

More Crayolas, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreborn1 View Post
The pdf wont work for me, does it say anything about the development?
Top right caption: "These are concept illustrations showing possible scenarios looking towards the new waterfront: the top image is from Indiana Street, the bottom is from Maisel Street. Taller buildings are encouraged at the southern and northern ends of the waterfront, where they can create a neighborhood landmark that is not directly in front of existing homes. Shorter buildings are encouraged adjacent to existing homes. View corridors from existing streets are preserved."

Bottom left caption: "The recommendations for the Westport Waterfront call for new development that features new homes, stores, and restaurants, as well as trails, connections to the existing neighborhood, open space, and recreation opportunities."

Quote:
Also that looks like the smallest 65 story tower ever.
Counted about twenty-something stories. Great report from the Planning Dept.; Worst. Concept. Illustration. Ever.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:49 AM   #2752
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Dear Icon Supporters

The Icon project will come before the Land Use & Transportation Committee of the City Council on April 18th at 5:00 pm at City Hall. In order for the project to advance in a timely fashion, it is critical that we have a strong showing of support, as evidenced by e-mails and attendance at this very crucial hearing.

If there is any way you can, please come to the hearing to show your support. While not everyone will be allowed to speak, your presence alone will be a powerful statement in favor of the project.

In addition, please send an e-mail today in support of the project to:

Councilman Edward Reisinger at [email protected]

With copies to:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

And a blind copy (bcc) to me at:

[email protected]

Councilman Reisinger is the chairman of the committee. Even if you have sent e-mails in the past, it is important that your elected officials hear from you before the hearing next week..

You will hear from us again in the coming days. In the meantime, please contact me if you have any questions about the project.

Thanks for your support!

Marco Greenberg
Vice President
Cignal Corp
2401 York Road
Timonium, MD 21093
410-561-4901 Phone
410-561-4905 FAX
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:56 AM   #2753
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Counted about twenty-something stories. Great report from the Planning Dept.; Worst. Concept. Illustration. Ever.

i agree. the city needs to get better work out of people. that rendering was ridiculous.
Old April 11th, 2007, 02:15 AM   #2754
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

looks like a 3rd grader drew those renderings.
Old April 11th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #2755
urbane

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Wow! 4 months away. I wonder what kind of development proposals we might be able to see? Also notice the many, "vacant lots" mentioned. That's a good thing. No probable lawsuits? Maybe?
Also, the surface parking. Fill 'em up!
Whoever develops that lot will have to provide the property owners of the 100 block of Lexington Street with an easement to connect the back of their properties to Park Ave.

Speaking of the Superblock, I hear that the Jolivet lawsuit was turned down by the judge. Jolivet plans to appeal.
urbane no está en línea  
Old April 11th, 2007, 03:59 AM   #2756
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

We can only hope it will be sold soon

Third developer in three years looking at One Light Street
JEN DEGREGORIO
Daily Record Business Writer
April 10, 2007 7:07 PM
Yet another developer is eyeing One Light Street, a piece of land just blocks from Baltimore’s Inner Harbor that has not lured a buyer despite its prime downtown location and years on the market.

A Maryland group said it wants have the site under contract this year to study the creation of a mixed-use project, said J. Joseph Clarke, a Baltimore developer who is marketing One Light Street for owner Mirecourt Associates.

Clarke declined to identify the group.

That would be the third developer to hold a contract for the property in as many years. Two previous proposals for the site fell through after developers allowed their contracts to expire. In 2004, an Atlanta investor wanted to create a residential tower at One Light Street but dropped the plan in 2005. A Washington developer later floated a plan for a mixed-use skyscraper, but allowed its contract to expire in December.

Plans for One Light Street go even farther back. In 1989, Washington Capital Guidance Corp. wanted to build a 45-story office tower on the site, which was then home to the old Southern Hotel building, which has since been razed. But the office tower, and other versions of that plan, never came.

“It’s a feasibility issue,” Clarke said. “Developers did an awful lot of study, but they weren’t certain of the market, and they left.”

But observers say they cannot fathom why One Light Street, which has a 30,000-square-foot footprint at Light and Redwood streets, has taken so long to sell while properties around it have traded for top dollar in recent years.

Philadelphia developer ARCWheeler LLC is readying to break ground on a 59-story condominium tower at 414 Light St., a project that would also include a hotel, spa and retail space. UrbanAmerica LP, a New York company, has announced similar plans for a parking lot at 300 E. Pratt St., the former home of the News American newspaper, which it purchased last year for nearly $30 million. The Bush Cos., of Washington, is selling units in 414 Water St., a 31-story condominium tower under construction.

“There are so many positive influences that surround the property,” said J. Kirby Fowler, president of the Downtown Partnership of Baltimore Inc., a group that advocates for downtown development. “It’s really an empty space that’s begging for a building.”

One Light Street consists of a parking lot and three vacant buildings along Baltimore Street that are slated for demolition. City zoning allows a variety of uses for the site, Clarke said. With strength growing in downtown’s commercial and residential market, Fowler said he thinks a variety of uses could succeed there.

The city’s office market has perked up in recent years, with vacancy rates in top-tier buildings at about 11 percent for the first quarter of this year, according to data from real estate firm CB Richard Ellis. That compares to 12.3 percent during the corresponding period last year.

Downtown has seen more than 3,000 new housing units come on line since 2000. Condominiums that cost more than $750,000 are considered “overbuilt,” according to Downtown Partnership data. But there is still demand for condominiums that cost less than $500,000.

Hotels have also done well, with two being built at Redwood and Calvert streets. Another boutique hotel is planned for the corner of Redwood and Charles streets.

“We believe that there is a lot of interest in the site,” Fowler said of One Light Street. “It’s time to see some action there.”

Richard “Dicky” Darrell, a leasing agent with Columbia-based Manekin LLC, speculated that One Light Street’s owners could be holding out for a higher price than buyers are willing to pay. Clarke would not say how much Paris-based Mirecourt wants for the property.
“I think he’s got a great site,” Darrell said. “But maybe … the numbers don’t work.”

SEARCH RELATED STORIES Email the Reporter
Email the Editor
Submit letter to the Editor
Order a Reprint
Print this story
Email this story
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:24 AM   #2757
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Great story, fanofterps! Thanks for posting it. Wow!
Actual conversation about the One Light Street property.
What, I wonder, do you guys think, he's trying to sell this property for? Money wise?
I wish this property would sell to a serious developer.
Who knows, this waiting might be a good thing. I mean, look at a couple of those last proposals. They were horrible, IMO.
Maybe, the right developer will come along and buy it and build Baltimore's signature centerpoint skyscraper.
IMO, a skyscraper, (mixed-use), in the 60 story range, would be my fantasy tower. Something like the "Signature Tower" that Nashville is getting, is what I'd love to see on that spot. Maybe somewhere in the upper 700 ft. to mid 800 ft. height range.

At least people are still thinking about and talking about and taking interest in this property, still.

Old April 11th, 2007, 04:34 AM   #2758
baltimoreisbest

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
What, I wonder, do you guys think, he's trying to sell this property for? Money wise?
Who knows, this waiting might be a good thing. I mean, look at a couple of those last proposals. They were horrible, IMO.
Maybe, the right developer will come along and buy it and build Baltimore's signature centerpoint skyscraper.
IMO, a skyscraper, (mixed-use), in the 60 story range, would be my fantasy tower. Something like the "Signature Tower" that Nashville is getting, is what I'd love to see on that spot. Maybe somewhere in the upper 700 ft. to mid 800 ft. height range.

At least people are still thinking about and talking about and taking interest in this property, still.

It's all a function of the projected stream of rents the tower will generate and interest rates. Interest rates and construction prices will need to come down and demand remain strong for anything to happen here. Given the state of transition of downtown's office market, the site almost certainly will not be built speculatively as office. I could see hotel and condos, but again recent spikes in construction costs have made some projects prohibitive.

I doubt anything will happen with this site for a while.
baltimoreisbest no está en línea  
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:39 AM   #2759
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

A new level

The Vue, Water Tower, Zenith, Spinaker Bay, Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons/Legg Mason, Filene's, Best Buy are all terrific projects that have improved downtown.

The next level for Baltimore is add 10 Inner Harbor, 300 East Pratt, Naing Tower, Cordish Tower, Citiscape and 1 Light St. Can you imagine 4 towers 50-60 stories tall with 10 Inner Harbor containing a 30,000 Sq ft Saks Fifth Avenue on the first 2/3 levels and 300 East Pratt with a 30,000 st ft Bloomingdales or Lord & Taylor. We would also have a robust shopping district along with 6 beautiful towers.

Steve, I think he wants to sell it but has been wating for the highest price. I wonder if the Maryland group is Paterakis. Paterakis is partnering with him on the Rec Pier hotel. All these projects take 3-5 years to break ground so we have time(example Four Seasons/ Ritz Carlton)

Quote:

fanofterps no está en línea  
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:40 AM   #2760
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

True, and look at how many years have gone by with nothing happening on that site so far. It been a long time indeed. But, if and when those costs come down, then yeah, someone will buy it and build something big. I mean, come on. That site is just begging for a premeir structure. An Icon of a tower.

Closed Thread