daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 26th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #261
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

how in the hell did my posts jump from 715 to 925???? go figure that one.....lol
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #262
jpav

Likes (Received): 0

The article sounds like a company is moving to the city but there is that one statement where it says "our job is to retain jobs in Baltimore" which sounds like they are trying to keep something here. So I'm a little confused. Does anyone know a reason that M&T would leave Buffalo for Baltimore?
jpav no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #263
wada_guy
Oh say can YOU see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
how in the hell did my posts jump from 715 to 925???? go figure that one.....lol
When he moved the threads from the Northeast to here, all the posts that were moved were double counted. Steven is in the 4,500 club now. Everyone's went up. That should compensate us for when the count went down a few months ago when they were having all the server troubles.

I sincerely doubt that M&T Bank is coming here. Most of the stock is owned by a Buffalo investor and he controlls the board of directors. If anything, they will be bought over the next few years since they are only a regional bank and are a prime takeover candidate.

I hope that it's a bio-tech firm moving to either the Hopkins or the U of M bio-parks. That will do more for the city economy than a bank will. A few years ago, Eastman Kokak's medical division was going to move here and they backed out of the deal at the last minute.

There are other possibilities too. I could have something to do with the GM Plant. It could have something to do with the port. Or it could have something to do with a NY financial firm's back offices.

Whatever it is, the question that must be asked is much corporate welfare will this cost us? I'm sure it isn't going to be cheap. It never is.

Last edited by wada_guy; January 26th, 2007 at 05:42 PM.
wada_guy no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #264
baltimoreisbest

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpav View Post
The article sounds like a company is moving to the city but there is that one statement where it says "our job is to retain jobs in Baltimore" which sounds like they are trying to keep something here. So I'm a little confused. Does anyone know a reason that M&T would leave Buffalo for Baltimore?
It wouldn't make sense from a practical or a financial standpoint for M&T to move the rest of its operations here. Baltimore is the company's second largest operations base, and assuming that they want to expand into the mid-Atlantic more, the company will use the city as a regional operations base.

Wada, I agree M&T may be a candidate for take-over, but what bank isn't? Heck, a couple years ago, PNC was eyed for a take-over. The industry experiences violent shake-ups occasionally, but it's pretty fair to say that large regional banks like M&T are less vulnerable than institutions like Mercantile and Provident. You know those are going to get swallowed...Provident is next.
baltimoreisbest no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #265
wada_guy
Oh say can YOU see?

Agreed. Any bank that isn't national in scope is a candidate to be purchased. Citibank, BoA are likely the purchasers. PNC, M&T, Suntrust, Provident, and others are going to be purchased.

The experts predict that we will eventually have 4 to 8 major national banks and a bunch of very small local institutions, such as Harbor Bank, once all this shakes out over the next 15 to 20 years or so.
wada_guy no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #266
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Wait, I thought PNC was taken over by a NYC bank?
Old January 26th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #267
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

btw, I was just wondering if M&T could be the company, based on some comments I've heard other forumers say around the site. That's all.
Nothing solid.
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #268
HAudidoody

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Wait, I thought PNC was taken over by a NYC bank?
Mellon was purchased by Bank of NY. PNC is a pretty aggressive bank. I wouldn't be surprised if they were around, independently, for a long time.
HAudidoody no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #269
Gsol

Likes (Received): 311

My point was not to sepeculate on which firm is coming, going or expanding/relocating. The upshot here is if any journalist is curious enough to resolve this mystery. These writers know the "go to" people and/or the principals. Even if no one will talk, the writer can coyly ask, for example, "Is a major company locating to Baltimre?". Then read the body language. No one has to say a word. Just place the right questions and look at the eyes and face especially.

If this were a national story or an epic one, you best believe the press would be all over it.

If there is a big story here, someone will break it. I only wish it could be me.

Last edited by Gsol; January 26th, 2007 at 11:13 PM.
Gsol no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #270
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAudidoody View Post
Mellon was purchased by Bank of NY. PNC is a pretty aggressive bank. I wouldn't be surprised if they were around, independently, for a long time.
thanks, I wasn't quite sure if I had the right one.
Old January 26th, 2007, 11:17 PM   #271
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

i would LOVE to see PNC move here from pittsburgh now that they've taken over merc. it may make sense for them to be closer to d.c. and become more of a 'mid atlantic' bank rather than an "appalacian" institution. i'm not going to go as far as to speculate it, but it would be nice to see a major bank's hq here. honestly, i COULD see m&t moving here. much more central than buffalo (unless they do canadian buisiness too. anyone know?). if they move to b-more, it gives them an easier reach into the southern markets. besides...as cold as it is here...its colder in buffalo!
quabex no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #272
quabex

wait a minute.... i just re-read the article concearning the bdc meeting and saw this line...

"By the time the BDC opened its doors, the session was over. When asked what happened in the boardroom, Williams wouldn’t say.

“The name of the company deals with whether the company comes or not,” he said. "

this insinuates that the company in question has a geographical title in its name. kinda like PNC (PNC was born from the PITTSBURGH NATIONAL COMPANY). you couldn't have a company named for pittsburgh based in baltimore now could you.

hmmmm...maybe i should look into becoming a full time conspiracy theorist!
quabex no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #273
Brian21

I was downtown the other day and there seems to be another crane rising at the Convention Center Hotel site. Hopefully it will finally start to rise up from the ground.
Old January 26th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #274
quabex

ok...one more post....

there is a public meeting tomorrow morning at the du burns arena in canton regarding the city' s, and the department of forrestry's goal of increasing the urban tree canopy by 30%. if anyone here has ever tried to deal with the city for tree plantings, you know how disparaging it can be. i'm going to try to get there for at least part of the meeting.

10a-12p. du burns arena. boston st. canton.
quabex no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2007, 11:43 PM   #275
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

I'm not sure creating a 30% additional tree canopy is a wise way to spend money nor waste resources. Obviously it would be a nice addition but things like crime and education should be receiving that money.

There aren't too many people who look at Baltimore negatively or don't want to come here because of our tree canopy.
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #276
quabex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue View Post
I'm not sure creating a 30% additional tree canopy is a wise way to spend money nor waste resources. Obviously it would be a nice addition but things like crime and education should be receiving that money.

There aren't too many people who look at Baltimore negatively or don't want to come here because of our tree canopy.
i think this is a long term goal (20-30 years?). more trees mean cleaner air. cleaner water. a more positive way of thinking for the next generations. lower summer temperatures resulting in less energy expenditures. not to mention that one of the jobs of government is to provide a good standard of living. there are some things you just can't quantify no matter how hard you try.
quabex no está en línea  
Old January 27th, 2007, 12:24 AM   #277
rxsoccer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quabex View Post
i think this is a long term goal (20-30 years?). more trees mean cleaner air. cleaner water. a more positive way of thinking for the next generations. lower summer temperatures resulting in less energy expenditures. not to mention that one of the jobs of government is to provide a good standard of living. there are some things you just can't quantify no matter how hard you try.
I agree with you on this one. And we shouldn't forget how much aesthetics and context play a role in quality of life and behavior. If any of you have read "the tipping point", there are some great arguments for how NYC reduced crime through simple tasks like beautification. Although other factors were at play, this clearly had a big impact. And I can tell you when my wife and I were shopping for homes near patterson park a few years ago, there was a HUGE difference in the comfort level on certain blocks that you could almost completely attribute to the number of trees on the block. Call me crazy, but if you look at a block without any trees, it simply looks and feels a lot less safe. In fact, my wife refused to buy a house on a non-tree lined street....
rxsoccer no está en línea  
Old January 27th, 2007, 12:46 AM   #278
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxsoccer View Post
I agree with you on this one. And we shouldn't forget how much aesthetics and context play a role in quality of life and behavior. If any of you have read "the tipping point", there are some great arguments for how NYC reduced crime through simple tasks like beautification. Although other factors were at play, this clearly had a big impact. And I can tell you when my wife and I were shopping for homes near patterson park a few years ago, there was a HUGE difference in the comfort level on certain blocks that you could almost completely attribute to the number of trees on the block. Call me crazy, but if you look at a block without any trees, it simply looks and feels a lot less safe. In fact, my wife refused to buy a house on a non-tree lined street....
I fully agree, more trees in the city is a very good idea that has many, many benefits and should be encouraged. I know when my wife see some of these new developments, with house and no trees or shrubs, it looks so naked. Not to mention the much higher costs to heat and cool.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old January 27th, 2007, 01:40 AM   #279
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

city + green = better place.
Old January 27th, 2007, 01:52 AM   #280
quabex

i am the lorax...and i speak for the trees!

i'm glad there's such a consensous regarding greenery! even a planter of flowers during the summer months helps the overall state of a neighborhood. look at a block that has no flowers outside compared to one that has full planters. its easy to tell which block is populated with people who care about where they live. plantings also translate into stronger neighborhood social structures and cleaner areas.

i'll remember to hit you all up for my spring flower sale charity fund raiser!

cheers

quabex no está en línea  

Closed Thread