daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 13th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #2841
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Yes. Earns an "eh" at best. SnoozerBlock.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #2842
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

chesapeake paper board site

does anyone have a rendering for the proposed development that's planned for the old Chesapeake Paperboard Site?

They can't build that new grocery store fast enough. SFW's quality is rapidly declining (and that's scary because it never was good to begin with!).
Old April 13th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #2843
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 810

Smith Barney taking space in popular Harbor East spot
Baltimore Business Journal - April 13, 2007by Daniel J. SernovitzStaff

Citigroup subsidiary Smith Barney has signed a lease for more than 40,000 square feet at the Harbor East development in Baltimore as part of a consolidation of its city branches, a company spokesman said.

"We are combining the branch into Harbor East," Smith Barney spokesman Alexander I. Samuelson said April 11.

A LITTLE BAD NEWS AMONGST ALL THE RECENT GOOD NEWS

JP Morgan to close downtown office

Baltimore to lose 220 jobs; firm to pay back incentives
Baltimore Business Journal - April 13, 2007by Rachel SamsStaff

Seven years after economic development officials lured a check-processing center to Baltimore with incentives worth $1 million, financial-services giant JP Morgan Chase plans to close the facility, which employs 220 people.

The JP Morgan center did not meet job-growth targets and will have to return up to $500,000 to the city, according to officials with the Baltimore Development Corp., the city's economic development arm.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; April 13th, 2007 at 04:38 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #2844
LilMoeJoeJoe

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itus View Post
From The Times April 13, 2007

Transatlantic dogfight looms as Ryanair promises £7 fare to US
David Robertson, Business Correspondent

The bargain flights common in Europe yesterday looked set to spread across the Atlantic, as the budget airlines announced plans to challenge the dominance of British Airways and Virgin Atlantic.

Ryanair’s Michael O’Leary promised £7 tickets to the US and Southwest Airlines, the American pioneer of no-frills travel, signalled its intention to start flying to the UK.

The prospect of cheap flights from London to New York will revive memories of Freddie Laker’s ultimately doomed challenge to the flag carriers 30 years ago. However, liberalisation of air travel through last month’s “open skies” agreement promises to revolutionise transatlantic travel.

Ryanair, Europe’s biggest low-cost carrier, yesterday unveiled plans to offer flights to Baltimore, Rhode Island and New York for as little as 10-12 euros each way, but the service is likely to face stiff competition. The Times understands that Southwest Airlines is considering going international, while Jet Blue, another US low-cost airline, is also thought to be keen to join the fray.

Other entrants to route have failed to get off the ground
If the plans are carried out, prices for passengers would be slashed and a much wider choice of service would be available, from the top end offered by BA and Virgin, to aircraft on which everything from food to entertainment costs extra.

The opportunity to launch low-cost fares across the Atlantic has been made possible by the “open skies” agreement, which will lift the restrictions on where airlines can fly. Only BA, Virgin, American and United are currently allowed to fly from Heathrow to the US. From next year this will be opened to all carriers. Technology is also making budget flights possible as the next generation of aircraft will be at least 20 per cent more fuel efficient and less expensive to maintain.

Mr O’Leary, Ryanair’s chief executive, said he was looking to buy between 30 and 50 long-haul jets. These would be either the Boeing 787 or Airbus A350, neither of which are yet flying. He is proposing to launch a company, wholly owned by Ryanair, which will start flying within four years to up to half a dozen US cities. Ticket prices will start at 10-12 euros but the company will use the typical low-cost model of increasing the price as more tickets are sold.

This would challenge the already competitive market for economy passengers between the UK and the US, potentially forcing BA and Virgin to offer similar promotional fares.

BA and Virgin are also experiencing competition in business class, which accounts for most of their profits. Silverjet, Maxjet and Eos have all begun operating business-class-only flights for substantially lower prices.

However, the real threat to all these operators will be if Southwest launches international flights, possibly through its code-share partner ATA. Southwest said: “It is definitely something we are looking at.” The prospect of America’s and Europe’s largest budget airlines going head to head could mean flights to New York costing less than the journey to the airport.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle1647610.ece

---
These guys are looking at 2011 apparently. There's going to be fierce competition for these flights for sure...and BWI is in a pretty good spot.
If the new service is integrated into the BWI market properly, it could indeed be a substantial boost for BWI. My initial fear is that a sudden rush of low cost international flights to and from BWI would drive off British Airways and Icelandair. However these new flights will be going to secondary airports on both sides of the atlantic and I think that leaves room for the traditional and low cost carries to both be successful. When I travel internationally, I book my trip base on the best connections and business class availability. I think we could sustain some new international service but the flights have to be introduced into the market at a measured pace.
LilMoeJoeJoe no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #2845
k25150

Likes (Received): 414

I don't buy into or understand this "low cost" airline stuff. I fly to Fla. often and I can sometimes get a cheaper ticket on US Air or Delta than SW or Air Tran. And the service is identical. Same fake leather seats, same drink service and same peanuts. You actually get a better deal on US Air or Delta because they have video monitors. I think the low fare talk is more media driven and keen marketing than an actual fact.
k25150 no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #2846
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by k25150 View Post
I don't buy into or understand this "low cost" airline stuff. I fly to Fla. often and I can sometimes get a cheaper ticket on US Air or Delta than SW or Air Tran. And the service is identical. Same fake leather seats, same drink service and same peanuts. You actually get a better deal on US Air or Delta because they have video monitors. I think the low fare talk is more media driven and keen marketing than an actual fact.
You are correct when you speak about today's market. But it wasn't that long ago when a ticket to Florida would have cost you $1,100 round trip on Delta or USAir. The traditional airlines have had to lower their standards and prices BECAUSE of the lower cost airlines. The lower cost airlines have totally shaken up the airline industry and that is why almost all of the traditional airlines don't make money and have become more like the discount airlines just to stay in business.

The $900 difference between a $200 SW ticket to Florida and an old Delta ticket to Florida is what it cost to serve you rubber chicken on a flight. Look at that as the most expensive meal you ever ate. The rest was pure profit for the airline.

As soon as a discount airline starts service to a market, the price that the traditional airlines can charge plummets.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; April 13th, 2007 at 09:58 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #2847
pepperjack
Organ Bank

Likes (Received): 22

There is a fresh 'for sale' sign on the truck yard on the north end of Greektown. I think it was planned for 700 homes per an article in the sun, but i'm guessing that is dead. The sign does say zoned for residential development, at least.
pepperjack no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #2848
BaltimoreDeb

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperjack View Post
There is a fresh 'for sale' sign on the truck yard on the north end of Greektown. I think it was planned for 700 homes per an article in the sun, but i'm guessing that is dead. The sign does say zoned for residential development, at least.
Yes. That is "Oldham Crossing," at 120 Oldham, and the original buyer pulled out. MacKenzie is offering it for sale; it's already pre-zoned.

Link to MacKenzie's listing:

http://www.mackenziecommercial.com/r...projectid=1544

Story from the BBJ last December:

MacKenzie eyes land deals

Baltimore Business Journal - December 22, 2006

A Baltimore real estate firm is gearing up to capitalize, once again, on the region's commercial development activity.

MacKenzie Commercial Real Estate Services LLC, which recently added a new associate to its land sales division, expects activity to pick up as some of the stalled and failed redevelopment projects in the region come back onto the market for new buyers and new development plans.

Lutherville-based MacKenzie handles a variety of commercial real estate services including the sale and resale of properties in the Baltimore region, and with the new associate it expects that portion of the business will pick up after the market's cooling-off period of recent months.

"Everything was rolling along and, all of a sudden, the gas crisis hit," said John F. Harrington, a senior vice president who joined MacKenzie's land sales division in 1993. "There's now a lot of properties that are coming back on the market."

Harrington cited projects like Oldham Crossing, which was under contract to be developed with as many as 230 condominium units until the buyer pulled out, and the breakdown of another condominium project in Owings Mills that is now being developed as an apartment complex by Sidney Emmer Builders.

MacKenzie recently hired a new associate, Charles K. Vandenburgh, to aid Harrington as he gears up for the second rung of land sales. Vandenburgh previously worked as regional director of land acquisitions for Technical Olympic.

In addition to initial land sales, Harrington said many other projects are nearly completed, meaning his firm will step in once again to market the properties to other buyers such as residential home sellers.
BaltimoreDeb no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #2849
BaltimoreDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperjack View Post
Oh - the "700 new homes" was the KSI project, which is proceeding apace, from all accounts. That's located at 820 Oldham, right next to the Ryan Homes' "Athena Square" development.
BaltimoreDeb no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #2850
pepperjack
Organ Bank

Ok, I was confused with the 700. This was the only thing i'd ever read about the development:

The Greektown North project, proposed by Towson-based Moran Properties, would transform the Servu Trucking operation into up to 232 new homes on slightly less than 10 acres bounded by Lombard Street on the north, Gough Street on the south, Oldham Street on the east and a rail line on the west.

from the Sun October '05
pepperjack no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #2851
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by k25150 View Post
It pays to shop around. I am flying to Denver in July, and I was able to book on United for quite a bit less than Southwest, for the itinerary I wanted. Quite often, the cheapest possible flights are at a time you don't want, or are not nonstop.
micrip no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #2852
Hugh Jaramillo

A Missed Opportunity

I saw the renderings in the Sun this morning of the Four Seasons and Legg Mason towers in Harbor East. I was underwhelmed to say the least. I would have thought that the architecture would have reflected the dynamic change in the economy of Baltimore from blue collar/manufacturing town to a service based economy. Especially since the lead tenent is just such an industry! I can think of at least a dozen or so world class architects that could have been chosen, e.g. Sir Norman Foster, Renzo Piano, Santiago Calatrava. Instead we got the Hillier Group! I guess it could have been worse it could have been Beatty who did the Marriott Waterfront. With such wonderful architecture from various periods in time, i.e. the Basilica, B of A tower, why can't we get somthing truely world class and outstanding, like the Swiss Re building in the city of London or some of the newer buildings built in other major American cities?
Hugh Jaramillo no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:56 PM   #2853
pennster

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
You are correct when you speak about today's market. But it wasn't that long ago when a ticket to Florida would have cost you $1,100 round trip on Delta or USAir. The traditional airlines have had to lower their standards and prices BECAUSE of the lower cost airlines. The lower cost airlines have totally shaken up the airline industry and that is why almost all of the traditional airlines don't make money and have become more like the discount airlines just to stay in business.

The $900 difference between a $200 SW ticket to Florida and an old Delta ticket to Florida is what it cost to serve you rubber chicken on a flight. Look at that as the most expensive meal you ever ate. The rest was pure profit for the airline.

As soon as a discount airline starts service to a market, the price that the traditional airlines can charge plummets.
JetBlue to Florida. Usually the cheapest around, with REAL leather seats, DirecTV and XM Radio in EACH seat and unlimited snacks. Delta and US Airways don't come close.
pennster no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #2854
bmore87
B-MORE LIKE US

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennster View Post
JetBlue to Florida. Usually the cheapest around, with REAL leather seats, DirecTV and XM Radio in EACH seat and unlimited snacks. Delta and US Airways don't come close.
Yeah, I just finished a business analysis on JetBlue yesterday and was amazed at all those features. Customer Service is okay too.
bmore87 no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #2855
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

^unless it snows......
cgunna no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2007, 12:02 AM   #2856
bmore87
B-MORE LIKE US

Likes (Received): 2

Touche'! That's why I typed, "okay" lol.

Did anyone hear the rumor that York Co. wants the Light Rail extended there?
bmore87 no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #2857
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Hey guys, should be getting some new info on 300 east pratt street tower, soon. I thought it might be sent to me today, but maybe tommorow. Stay tuned.
Old April 14th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #2858
scottbbfm

not a rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmore87 View Post
Touche'! That's why I typed, "okay" lol.

Did anyone hear the rumor that York Co. wants the Light Rail extended there?
Apr 10, 2007 — York City Council Vice President Joe Musso said he plans to ask council in May to pass a resolution in support of light rail from Baltimore to York.
The prospects are good, he said.

A rail line already runs north from New Freedom along the York County Rail Trail. The land around the line is owned by York County because of the rail trail.

And stations for light rail lines in Maryland amount to concrete slabs and small shelters similar to bus stops.

"We need to focus on getting this to York," Musso said. "For the most part, the rails are there."

Also, for the most part, the mood was positive at the first meeting in recent years to promote the far-north stop of the Maryland Transportation Authority's light rail becoming York instead of Hunt Valley, Md.

About 15 people attended.

However, the group that included the city's economic development team, candidates for and members of city council, and a candidate for York County Commissioner made a list of the initial problems to overcome.

Matt Jackson, city economic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
development director, said that, in order for the light rail to continue north from Hunt Valley, it would have to come through the Kosher foods section of the new Wegman's grocery store nearby.
"That's a concern," Jackson said.

He also said the idea might overlap with public transportation funding allotted to projects in the Harrisburg area.

City council candidate Genevieve Ray said she worked on transportation projects in Ohio and worried the size of the tracks might not be right for light rail.

Some of the biggest concerns came from Jenna A. Reedy, business development manager with Rabbittransit.

Many at the meeting Monday said that, in an ideal world, light rail would provide north-to-south transportation and Rabbittransit buses would provide transportation east-to-west from the light rail stations.

Reedy said Rabbittransit is seeing up to 20 percent cuts in its routes because of shortfalls in state funding. She said all of its resources, from a "social justice" standpoint, need to go toward serving those in the York area who do not have automobiles and rely on Rabbittransit to get to work.

But all in the room felt the obstacles could be overcome.

WHAT'S NEXT?
The next step is a fact-finding meeting with state, county and Maryland top brass, with a date to be determined.

http://www.ydr.com/newsfull/ci_5633451
scottbbfm no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2007, 01:14 AM   #2859
getontrac

What and use the NCR trail?

Nice idea for commuter rail, horrible for LR. I'm glad we've preserved most of the ROW, but the LR is too slow and inefficient as it is. Making a ridulously long LRT line would crush the system.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #2860
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

BRT would be better?

Closed Thread