daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 14th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #2881
scottbbfm

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
What and use the NCR trail?

Nice idea for commuter rail, horrible for LR. I'm glad we've preserved most of the ROW, but the LR is too slow and inefficient as it is. Making a ridulously long LRT line would crush the system.

Nate
I agree 100%...I just posted the article, I gave no opinions. I think a commuter rail (MARC) from harrisburg to Baltimore wouldn't be a bad thing. Stop at Penn Station, Hunt Valley, Sparks?, Shrewsberry, York, prob a couple others would def have some demand....only problem is that there is limited transit from the Penn Station to the CBD. I realize there is the light rail which is fine for once in a while trips, but not daily commuters. Yellow line anyone?
scottbbfm no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #2882
HAudidoody

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
That will happen about as soon as the Orioles winning a World Series!
Has a building that tall ever been demolished (on purpose..I'm not talking about the WTC in NY) before? Lots of cities are full of 500ft+ buildings that are getting quite old. You would think some of them are going to be taken down soon.
The only places in the US where such a new building in such great condition could be demolished is where land values are high enough. Parts of mid-town Manhattan, maybe Chicago, the Las Vegas strip... Anywhere else I couldn't see it happening. I can't imagine that statement was made in seriousness. After all, one has to be true to their username.
HAudidoody no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #2883
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Attention: Nate!

Maglev costs less than top-speed rail
The Sun recently published a picture showing the French superspeed train, the TGV, breaking the world speed record for conventional rail at 357.2 miles per hour ("French train speeds into record book," April 4).
The caption mentioned that this speed is slightly short of the record set by the Japanese magnetically levitated train.

These records are of only limited interest because they are normally achieved under ideal conditions (on a straight track and at no grade or on downhill track) that do not represent typical operating conditions.

In any event, a difference of a few miles per hour will not significantly affect travel time.

Of greater importance when comparing conventional rail with maglev systems are the relative performance and cost of construction and operation.

And here maglev has decided advantages - it can negotiate grades of up to 10 percent (compared with a maximum grade of 3 percent for rail), and it can accelerate much more quickly to full speed.

While the costs of construction are comparable for maglev and conventional high-speed rail on dedicated track, the cost of operation and maintenance for maglev, with no moving parts, has been shown to average about one-third of the cost for operation and maintenance of high-speed rail systems.

Jack Kinstlinger
Hunt Valley

The writer is chairman emeritus of a firm that consults on the Baltimore-Washington maglev project.
Yup,

thus the advantage of Maglev at super high speeds.......

still back burner to other transit stuff for Baltimore/Washington, though.....

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2007, 06:50 AM   #2884
getontrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbbfm View Post
I agree 100%...I just posted the article, I gave no opinions. I think a commuter rail (MARC) from harrisburg to Baltimore wouldn't be a bad thing. Stop at Penn Station, Hunt Valley, Sparks?, Shrewsberry, York, prob a couple others would def have some demand....only problem is that there is limited transit from the Penn Station to the CBD. I realize there is the light rail which is fine for once in a while trips, but not daily commuters. Yellow line anyone?
The MTA CAC Red Line is essentially the stub of the Yellow Line. That's why it's important to build first.

Nate
Old April 15th, 2007, 06:59 AM   #2885
getontrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
Prospects are good? Did any of them ask anybody in Maryland? Say what they wish about LRT being cheap, the current system is more expensive to operate per mile than buses or subway and building 40 miles more would probably run into billions by the time they built tracks, platforms, overhead wires and bought more trains. The obvious place to put it would be on the old North Central ROW, which is currently the very popular and bucolic North Central Trail. Can't see any opposition there. And just how many people commute between York and Hunt Valley/Baltimore? Enough to support a system that has trouble even inside the metro area? And just who would pay for it? Maryland? With its $40 billion in transportation deficits?
Exactly. Except that the York area is becoming a distant sattelite suburban complex to B-more. I love the NCR (and the B&A) trails, but trains will need to run again near or along the path at some point, thank God we saved the ROWs.

Sounds like a meeting is in order to quash this LRT delusion. It is truly the most inappropriate transit mode for this alignment. Our 29 miles is bad enough. Where the hell does there exist a 70 mile long LRT line?!?!

Nate
Old April 15th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #2886
scando

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
Exactly. Except that the York area is becoming a distant sattelite suburban complex to B-more. I love the NCR (and the B&A) trails, but trains will need to run again near or along the path at some point, thank God we saved the ROWs.

Sounds like a meeting is in order to quash this LRT delusion. It is truly the most inappropriate transit mode for this alignment. Our 29 miles is bad enough. Where the hell does there exist a 70 mile long LRT line?!?!

Nate
Pretty much all of my extended family lives in the York County area. Some are long time rural folk and others are expat Baltimoreans who moved there because it is the mecca of non-urban-close-to-the-country suburbs where there is no trace of urbanity. Once a year they come to Baltimore for an O's game but other than that, this place is pretty alien to them. I don't know who it is that think they will be hopping aboard a train for a "quick" trip to downtown Baltimore, but this would be the antithesis of everything that attracted them to that area. I don't think this attitude is at all unique up there. Many commute to Hunt Valley or Owings Mills but that is a 20 - 30 minute drive so I can't see them using light rail, especially given their militantly auto-centered lives.
scando no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #2887
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
Has a building that tall ever been demolished (on purpose..I'm not talking about the WTC in NY) before? Lots of cities are full of 500ft+ buildings that are getting quite old. You would think some of them are going to be taken down soon.
The singer buiilding in NYC was over 600 feet an demolished in the 60's.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #2888

Just an aside...

I'm currently in Beijing now and I've never seen construction like this. I'm talking miles upon miles of old alleys being leveled to make way for buildings. Hundreds of thousands of displaced residents making way for the 2008 olympics. The term NIMBY doesn't even apply to this city. I haven't had the time to photodocument the construction, but it would honestly take weeks. Asking residents about how they feel about the construction gets blank stares as if thinking, "You mean I'm supposed to have some sort of opinion?"
21230 no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #2889
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 208

The landmark Tower in Dallas had that many floors (I think it was a little shorter) and it was taken down last year. Detroit had a 459' building taken down also.
This is avctually the 2nd time an owner/developer has proposed demolishing it. The first time we looked at it was for USF&G. This was one of the last major buildings constructed where asbestos was used. USF&G had it removed and it was extremely costly.
I think at one time (maybe still is) it was the tallest building between Philadelphia and Charlotte.
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #2890
urbane

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21230 View Post
Just an aside...

I'm currently in Beijing now and I've never seen construction like this. I'm talking miles upon miles of old alleys being leveled to make way for buildings. Hundreds of thousands of displaced residents making way for the 2008 olympics. The term NIMBY doesn't even apply to this city. I haven't had the time to photodocument the construction, but it would honestly take weeks. Asking residents about how they feel about the construction gets blank stares as if thinking, "You mean I'm supposed to have some sort of opinion?"
Hehe, I remember having the same impression when I was there in 2002.
urbane no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2007, 08:06 PM   #2891
urbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionDave View Post
I think the old USF&G/Legg Mason building is going to be demolished. There is way too much wasted space with the plaza. Plus there is limited parking. Somebody could build a building which stretches curb to curb and get a heckuva lot more net leaseable space.
I agree with the wasted space part. Redesigning the plaza could already make a difference, however, I don't see that tower being demolished any time soon.

By the way, I walk through that gray plaza every morning, and I always like to look at the faces of the people walking there (mostly Legg Mason employees, I suppose): has anyone else had the impression that they all look forlorn ? Only once have I seen a person with a smile on his face. It's like all the others are sacrifical lambs going to the corporate temple. It's quite fascinating
urbane no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #2892
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbane View Post
I agree with the wasted space part. Redesigning the plaza could already make a difference, however, I don't see that tower being demolished any time soon.

By the way, I walk through that gray plaza every morning, and I always like to look at the faces of the people walking there (mostly Legg Mason employees, I suppose): has anyone else had the impression that they all look forlorn ? Only once have I seen a person with a smile on his face. It's like all the others are sacrifical lambs going to the corporate temple. It's quite fascinating
the building is a disaster....old. outdated and away from the street. it could be reinvented with a new signature tennant and new development on its edges. the pratt street plans from the EDSA Team proposed transforming the entire block into an indoor garden and gathering space. i thought it wasa pretty cool idea and it would've worked well on the corner of the harbor and mckeldin plaza....

the ayers saint gross plan had one building fronting along pratt street. i hope that the future plan incorporates more development around the tower. i just don't see the tower going away...

Old April 15th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #2893
scando

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbane View Post
......By the way, I walk through that gray plaza every morning, and I always like to look at the faces of the people walking there (mostly Legg Mason employees, I suppose): has anyone else had the impression that they all look forlorn ? Only once have I seen a person with a smile on his face. It's like all the others are sacrifical lambs going to the corporate temple. It's quite fascinating
I walk by a couple times each week at lunch time and you are right. It's just an unpleasant space. It's cold and windy during winter and in the summer it's like walking on a big paved frying pan with sunlight reflected off the hot pavement. Even if your job in that building makes you happy as a clam, the plaza is as uninviting of a space a city can have. I've speculated about someone building something to wrap the building, extending out toward the regular sidewalk, but the building itself seems to be such an icon that I can't see that happening any time soon.
scando no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #2894
urbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by folsomfanatic View Post
the building is a disaster....old. outdated and away from the street. it could be reinvented with a new signature tennant and new development on its edges. the pratt street plans from the EDSA Team proposed transforming the entire block into an indoor garden and gathering space. i thought it wasa pretty cool idea and it would've worked well on the corner of the harbor and mckeldin plaza....

the ayers saint gross plan had one building fronting along pratt street. i hope that the future plan incorporates more development around the tower. i just don't see the tower going away...

I remember seeing the EDSA plan's. I thought theirs was a pretty good idea.

I really wonder what the architects/urban designers were thinking back in the day when they developed that block. It looks like it would be a perfect example of what not to do in an urban design textbook.
urbane no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #2895
scando

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbbfm View Post
We're only short on one thing, which is a right of way. Having close connection to some people in that corridor, I can give high odds that the thought of reviving trains on the North Central would bring out villagers with torches and pitchforks. Other than that, there isn't a suitable ROW that wouldn't involve lots of eminent domain, which would bring out more of those villagers with pitchforks.
scando no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #2896
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Nimbys may win one for Columbia.
Old April 15th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #2897
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 208

The right of way issue can be solved by elevating it and running it up the median of I -83.

Concerning the LM building, the owner is going to have trouble finding new tenants especially having to compete with all the new Class A office space going up around town. And it also has to compete with the World Trade Center which is only about 30% occupied.

I am a member of the Center Club and have spent lots of time looking at it while enjoying a cocktail. It is interesting the way it is designed utilizing deep beams so that there are only 4 exterior columns.
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #2898
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

JP Morgan to close downtown office
Baltimore to lose 220 jobs; firm to pay back incentives
Baltimore Business Journal - April 13, 2007by Rachel SamsStaff

Seven years after economic development officials lured a check-processing center to Baltimore with incentives worth $1 million, financial-services giant JP Morgan Chase plans to close the facility, which employs 220 people.

The JP Morgan center did not meet job-growth targets and will have to return up to $500,000 to the city, according to officials with the Baltimore Development Corp., the city's economic development arm.

Old April 15th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #2899
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Smith Barney taking space in popular Harbor East spot
Baltimore Business Journal - April 13, 2007by Daniel J. SernovitzStaff

Citigroup subsidiary Smith Barney has signed a lease for more than 40,000 square feet at the Harbor East development in Baltimore as part of a consolidation of its city branches, a company spokesman said.

"We are combining the branch into Harbor East," Smith Barney spokesman Alexander I. Samuelson said April 11.

Old April 15th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #2900
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

Port Covington

if the Sam's Club and Wal-Mart were redeveloped and the Sun sold their 60 acres, Port Covington would become a VERY attractive place for new development.

You could rebuild the Hanover Street and Key Highway interchanges to give the site better acccess. It'd also be perfect for a mixed-use development with an arena as a focal point.

It'd also help connect to the Westport development and would take advantage of this unique spot in the City. IT'd be a perfect spot for cruise ships to dock as well.....

go here if you can't see the images:
http://folsomfanatic.blogspot.com/20...blog-post.html

Last edited by folsomfanatic; April 15th, 2007 at 09:42 PM.
folsomfanatic no está en línea  

Closed Thread