daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 15th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #2901
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

disregard---double post

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #2902
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionDave View Post
The right of way issue can be solved by elevating it and running it up the median of I -83.
The grade changes on I-83 would probably be prohibitive for a truly elevated rail line, esp. commuter rail.

BTW, at $100 million/mile for elevation, that's about $4 BILLION!!!! to York.

Ask York and PA to pay for that stuff, I want my Red and Yellow Lines! We could pay for an HRT line from SSA through DT to Towson for that money--a much more beneficial and purposeful project!

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #2903
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 208

Another nice developable parcel is where South Balto.General/Harbor Hospital is located. I wish I had a $ for every budget I developed for the demolition of that building.
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old April 15th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #2904
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

this is a project that i can't wait to see once it's finished. it's really going to change fells point for the better. they've gotten the approval from the BDC, so they should be starting some time in the near future.

MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #2905
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionDave View Post
Another nice developable parcel is where South Balto.General/Harbor Hospital is located. I wish I had a $ for every budget I developed for the demolition of that building.
Are you talking about the old one on Light St. or the "new" 1968 building on Hanover St.? I can't imagine them going anywhere, unless the hospital closes completely.

I thought there was a proposal years ago to build mid rise condos just to the south of the hospital. I wonder what ever became of that?
micrip no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2007, 01:29 AM   #2906
bobysayshi

Naing Towers

Does anyone know how tall Naing Towers will be?
bobysayshi no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2007, 01:35 AM   #2907
Baltimoreguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobysayshi View Post

Does anyone know how tall Naing Towers will be?

If they are 60 stories purely residential i would say 625 to 675. If they are mixed use including offices I would say 675 to 750. with 60 stories if they wanted with an ornate crown it could easily go 800 feet tall.
Baltimoreguy no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2007, 01:53 AM   #2908
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

Nice project! It should really help connect the Harbor East, Harbor Point, and Fells Point neighborhoods.

Any news on the Naing Towers?Also StevenW I thought we were supposed to hear about 10IH or 300east pratt.
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2007, 01:54 AM   #2909
bobysayshi

Sorry i'm new how do I post pictures
Old April 16th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #2910
bobysayshi

[IMG]download[/IMG]
Old April 16th, 2007, 02:36 AM   #2911
bobysayshi

IS 10ih jusT proposed or approved?
Old April 16th, 2007, 03:17 AM   #2912
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreborn1 View Post

Nice project! It should really help connect the Harbor East, Harbor Point, and Fells Point neighborhoods.

Any news on the Naing Towers?Also StevenW I thought we were supposed to hear about 10IH or 300east pratt.
Very nice project, indeed! Reminds me of the marketplace in Charleston, SC.

Yeah, 10 IH is late on getting out their latest details. Have not got any new info yet. As for 300 east pratt street, I'm supposed to be contacted this week about it's progress. Just stay tuned. One thing Baltimore people should be, is patient. We all should be used to waiting.
I am getting tired of waiting myself, I must say though.
Old April 16th, 2007, 03:19 AM   #2913
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
IS 10ih jusT proposed or approved?
Technically, it's still proposed. But, believe me, it'll be approved soon.
Old April 16th, 2007, 03:22 AM   #2914
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Quote:
Sorry i'm new how do I post pictures
Welcome, bobysayshi.

[img]paste url address here, followed immediately by this[/img]
Old April 16th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #2915
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Baltimore Tops Most Underrated City List

Meteorologist Tim Williams
Reporting

(WJZ) BALTIMORE As the upcoming travel season fast approaches, Baltimore has soared to the top of one list that is both good and bad.

Tim Williams reports there is a sweet and sour distinction of being the number one underrated city.

If you log onto Sherman's Travel and click on the top 10, you'll get the most underrated cities in the United States. Baltimore tops that list.

"What they're saying is we're a destination you don't want to miss. And when they're saying we're underrated, it means that not enough people know about us," said Tom Noonan from the Baltimore Area Convention and Visitors Association (BACVA).

Noonan is marketing the city's charm beyond the Inner Harbor. BACVA wants to draw summer travelers who want to "get in on it." They are especially interested in introducing people to the lesser known attractions.

And some people are answering the call.

"I love how this is. It reminds me of Chicago and the lakefront, and how they've redone it. It's a nice tourist area," said Anita Sobkoviak, who is visiting from Chicago.

"I live two blocks from the Inner Harbor and I'm raising a two-year-old there. There's tons to do, every museum...all kinds of restaurants," said Cathy Karducci.

Top Ten List:

Baltimore
Fort Lauderdale
Houston
Kansas City
Louisville
Minneapolis
Pittsburgh
Portland
Providence
Sacramento
Old April 16th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #2916
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 811

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21230 View Post
Just an aside...

I'm currently in Beijing now and I've never seen construction like this. I'm talking miles upon miles of old alleys being leveled to make way for buildings. Hundreds of thousands of displaced residents making way for the 2008 olympics. The term NIMBY doesn't even apply to this city. I haven't had the time to photodocument the construction, but it would honestly take weeks. Asking residents about how they feel about the construction gets blank stares as if thinking, "You mean I'm supposed to have some sort of opinion?"
Sounds like Berlin when they decided to move the capital back there. At one time, there were 2,500 tower cranes on the skyline.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #2917
30 Floors Up

I wonder if the closing of the JP Morgan office will impact the start of construction of Harbor Point? I think they were sort of counting on them to lease some of the new office space. Brown's Wharf will have a big vacancy now.
Old April 16th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #2918
Baltimoreguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
I wonder if the closing of the JP Morgan office will impact the start of construction of Harbor Point? I think they were sort of counting on them to lease some of the new office space. Brown's Wharf will have a big vacancy now.

It is Morgan Stanley that is leasing Browns Wharf and going into HarborPoint not JP Morgan. There will no no large vacancy at Brown's wharf.
Baltimoreguy no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #2919
30 Floors Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreguy View Post
It is Morgan Stanley that is leasing Browns Wharf and going into HarborPoint not JP Morgan. There will no no large vacancy at Brown's wharf.
Opps. Same roots, wrong tree. That's good news! Where was JP Morgan's Baltimore operation then? Was it near the main Post Office? Anyone know?

Baltimore got 2 national awards for the Crescent and Charles Commons. Also, Forest City Residential will be doing the Hopkins Bio Park housing project. The National Association of Home Builders and Freddie Mac sponsor this award. Apparently, it's a big deal.

SPECIAL REPORT: NAHB Announces Winners of Pillars Awards

By Kelly Sheehan, Online News Editor

APRIL 13, 2007 -- Hollywood, Fla. -- Forest City Residential was the big winner last night at the National Association of Home Builders’ (NAHB) Pillars Awards Gala at the Westin Resort & Spa in Hollywood, Fla. The firm earned five awards, including “Development Firm of the Year,” an award sponsored by Freddie Mac.

Other winners prominent awards presented were “Property Management Company of the Year,” sponsored by Orkin Commercial Services, presented to AvalonBay Communities Inc., and “Best Community of the Year,” also sponsored by Freddie Mac, awarded to University Commons, a student-housing complex in Chicago designed by Pappageorge/Haymes Ltd. and developed by the Enterprise Cos.

After the event, Ron Ratner, president of Forest City Residential, tells MHN that this year’s finalists were all noteworthy. “You could have tossed a coin to decide which companies should win,” he said. “All of the projects were projects that the companies were proud of.”

Ratner added that all of Forest City’s winning projects were individually crafted and designed, and featured affordable-housing components because one of the firm’s goals is reaching out to the surrounding communities.

“This is only a small part of the thousands of people that make up our company,” he added. “All of them are dedicated and creative, and we’ve accomplished a lot. It’s been a fun ride, and to receive [these awards] only makes things a little bit sweeter and a little bit better.”

Additional winning projects, companies and multifamily professionals included:

Best Multifamily Community Site Plan: Austin Ranch, Phase IV, in The Colony, Texas. Presented to James Harwick + Partners Inc., designer.

Most Creative Financing of an Affordable Apartment Community: Dorado Senior Apartments, in Buena Park, Calif. Presented to Simpson Housing Solutions LLC, developer.

Best Condo-Hotel: Twelve Atlantic Station, located in Atlanta. Presented to Novare Group, owner and developer.

Property Manager of the Year: Linda Books of Tarragon Management.

Registered in Apartment Management Professional (RAM) of the Year: Henry Dubro of Douglas Elliman Property Management.

Best Corporate Web Site: Kettler, formerly KSI, for www.KSICondos.com

Best Mixed-Use Community Site Plan: The Villages at Fort Belvoir, in Fort Belvoir, Va. Presented to Clark Realty Capital LLC, owner and developer.

Best Leasing or Sales Center: South Lake Union Discovery Center, in Seattle. Presented to Vulcan Real Estate, owner and developer.

Best Clubhouse at a Multifamily Community: Burbank Senior Artists Colony, in Burbank, Calif. Presented to Meta Housing Corp., owner and developer.

Best Garden Apartment Community: Jefferson at Congressional Village, in Rockville, Md. Presented to JPI Multifamily, owner and developer.

Best Rental Apartment Community: Shade at Desert Ridge, in Phoenix. Presented to TCA Architecture-Planning.

Best Mid-Rise Apartment: The Crescent at Fells Point, in Baltimore. Presented to the Hanover Co., owner and developer.

Best Interior Merchandising at a Multifamily Community: The Depot, in Fort Worth, Texas. Presented to Moore Design Group, interior designer.

Best Property Web Site: www.view14.com, of View 14, in Washington, D.C. Presented to HZDG, graphic designer.

Best Student Housing Rental Apartment Community: Charles Commons, in Baltimore. Presented to Design Collective Inc., architect and interior designer.

Best Brochure for a Rental Apartment Community: Sky55 in Chicago. Presented to Forest City Residential Management.

Best Repositioning/Conversion of a Multifamily Asset: 100 Park Ave. in Denver. Presented to KEPHART, architect. Uptown Square, in Memphis. Presented to Looney Ricks Kiss Architects.

Best High-Rise Apartment: Sky55, in Chicago. Presented to Forest City Residential Management.

Best Garden/Small-Scale Condo Community: Cienega, in Long Beach, Calif. Presented to Dahlin Group Architecture Planning.

Best New Loft Apartment Community: Loft 23, in Cambridge, Mass. Presented to Forest City Residential Management.

Best Brochure for a For-Sale Multifamily Community: The Phoenix, in Philadelphia. Presented to Merrick Towle Communications, marketing.

Best Adaptive Reuse: The Victor, in Camden, N.J. Presented to Dranoff Properties, owner and developer.

Best Overall Leasing Campaign for a Rental Apartment Community: University Park, in Cambridge, Mass. Presented to Forest City Residential Management.

Best Adaptive Reuse of a Condominium Community: University Common, in Chicago. Presented to Pappageorge/Haymes Ltd., architect.

Best High-Rise Condominium Community: The Parkside of One Bayshore, in Tampa, Fla. Presented to The Housing Studio, architect.

Best Overall Sales Campaign for a Condominium Community: The Phoenix, in Philadelphia. Presented to Merrick Towle Communications, marketing.

Best Affordable Apartment Community: Columbia Heritage Senior Residences, in Atlanta. Presented to James, Harwick + Partners, architect.

Best Affordable Neighborhood Revitalization: Monterey Bay Military Housing, in Monterey, Calif. Presented to Clark Realty Capital LLC, owner and developer.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; April 16th, 2007 at 04:46 PM.
Old April 16th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #2920
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

[QUOTE=folsomfanatic;12678919]if the Sam's Club and Wal-Mart were redeveloped and the Sun sold their 60 acres, Port Covington would become a VERY attractive place for new development. /QUOTE]

Hey I already claimed that spot as the space for a new arena
Maudibjr no está en línea  

Closed Thread