daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 16th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #2921
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

^Turn it back to Port property. We're going to need it in the future.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #2922
probaltimore

Likes (Received): 20

Under Armour going into the Legg tower would be awesome. Just imagine the huge UA logo towering over the city, and visible baseball fans and cameras in Oriole Park. While I disagree that open space at the base of the tower is 'wasted space', it would even provide space for UA events. Plus it could encourage UA to finally open a HQ store downtown.
probaltimore no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #2923
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 810

Come back down to earth people. I simply can't imagine a small/medium sized clothing company needing 400,000 square feet of OFFICE space. Manufacturing or distribution space, perhaps, but not office. That amount of office space is almost as much as Legg Mason is taking at Harbor East. I think 40,000 square feet of offices is more realistic for a company this size.

I've been wrong before and I'm sure I will be wrong again, but I wouldn't bet the farm on this. It just doesn't make sense to me.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #2924
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 208

Not 40k but 400k. I couldn't believe it either. Looks to me like they might be getting ahead of themselves. I don't think a big UA logo towering over Baltimore would be that great of an idea.

PSINet is still a fresh wound.
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #2925
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

yeahhh.....

To the point, where did the 400,000 figure come from anyway?
cgunna no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #2926
cgunna
2A

Under Armor > PSINet
cgunna no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #2927
LilMoeJoeJoe

Likes (Received): 20

Concerning Wasted Space of Legg Mason Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by probaltimore View Post
Under Armour going into the Legg tower would be awesome. Just imagine the huge UA logo towering over the city, and visible baseball fans and cameras in Oriole Park. While I disagree that open space at the base of the tower is 'wasted space', it would even provide space for UA events. Plus it could encourage UA to finally open a HQ store downtown.

I don't know how much office space Under Armour really needs but if they did move into the Legg tower, part of the lobby could be turned into a signature Under Armour store. Just a thought.
LilMoeJoeJoe no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #2928
DemolitionDave

The main reason Legg Mason wanted out of that building is the lack of parking. Why would Under Armour (or anybody else for that matter) fall into the same mess?
The WTC has the same problem.
Old April 16th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #2929
Xander21
B-More Believer

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMoeJoeJoe View Post
I don't know how much office space Under Armour really needs but if they did move into the Legg tower, part of the lobby could be turned into a signature Under Armour store. Just a thought.
Well if on the off off chance this actually did happen, the signature UA store could be placed at the base of the building where some of the Pratt St. redesign concepts envisioned building out to eliminate the depressing plaza around the tower. that would look pretty sharp if you ask me.
Old April 16th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #2930
Xander21
B-More Believer

Likes (Received): 10

So is there a chance that at some point over the next say... 3 years, we could have cranes up over the city for 10 IH, 300 E. Pratt and the new Legg Building and 4 Seasons Tower ALL at the same time?

Last edited by Xander21; April 16th, 2007 at 09:14 PM.
Xander21 no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #2931
DemolitionDave

I believe Legg MAson is leasing 385,000 sf presently at a cost of $9 million.
Old April 16th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #2932
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbane View Post
I really wonder what the architects/urban designers were thinking back in the day when they developed [the USFG/Legg Mason] block. It looks like it would be a perfect example of what not to do in an urban design textbook.
Pretty sure they were thinking: visual link between Charles Center and the Inner Harbor. The base of the black, trapezoidal Charles Center South building on the NW corner of Lombard and Charles has a sort of gateway facing SE towards the harbor.

Demo would be nice, but doesn't seem likely. Legg was going to settle the parking issue with a new garage on Lombard. Not sure what happened with that. Would settle for some sort of garden with sculpture on the plaza. Used to be a pink granite Henry Moore sculpture, "Conception," there. It was removed to the lobby of the Convention Center and from there, dunno.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #2933
Balmurfan

Likes (Received): 308

Is microsoft still searching for space downtown??
Balmurfan no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #2934
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 810

1970's 101 (Henry Moore Where Art Thou?)

The USF&G building, along with the WTC, were supposed to be the exclamation points of the harbor. All the other building were low rises and were designed to focus attention on these two buildings. The planners at the time considered them to be the architectural crown jewels of the Inner Harbor renewal project. In the case of Charles Center, One Charles Center by Mies van der Rohe was the signature building. World famous architects designed both the WTC and USF&G buildings. In the WTC case it was IM Pei. For USF&G is was Vlastimil Koubek.

They were built at a time when "Modernism", and the "International Style" were at their zenith and glorified the power of Corporate America. Wind swept plazas were cropping up all over the place - especially in New York City which had light and air issues due to its density. NYC revised its zoning code to allow for taller structures if they were set back from the street. The zoning change eliminated the need for buildings to be stepped back at the top if the structure were built in the middle of the block. Hence light and air could now reach the ground. This resulted in huge plazas and soon this was the style of the day. Baltimore got on the bandwagon, as did most American cities, not so much for the light and air issues but because it was considered to be modern design.

There was little ornamentation placed on the buildings. At one time corporate America showed how successful they were by adorning their buildings with everything imaginable. The Nationsbank building is an example of this. By the 1970's, the pendulum had swung the other way and ornamentation was frowned upon. In the case of the USF&G building though, they did use quality materials. The plaza and facade of the entire structure are all imported cut stone. No cast concrete here.

Little attention was given to the pedestrian. When it opened, there was a very large Henry Moore sculpture that adorned the plaza that I didn't particularly care for. It was supposed to act as a focal point. I don't remember where they moved it but I do know that it was in the Convention Center for a while. It was made of a porous stone and couldn't take the Baltimore climate. It is now worth millions but I wouldn't pay $10 for it.

I remember looking out the back window of our home near Memorial Stadium and watching the USF&G building rise. It was built just like the Comcast building now going up in Philadelphia. The elevator shaft went up first and then the four corners were constructed. Everything else hung off of those 5 supports.

Microsoft has offices above the Gallery. They moved in last year.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; April 16th, 2007 at 11:11 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #2935
cgunna
2A

great post
cgunna no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #2936
baltimoreisbest

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander21 View Post
So is there a chance that at some point over the next say... 3 years, we could have cranes up over the city for 10 IH, 300 E. Pratt and the new Legg Building and 4 Seasons Tower ALL at the same time?
Yes, if oil prices, interest rates, and demand cooperate.
baltimoreisbest no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #2937
waj0527

Likes (Received): 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionDave View Post
Not 40k but 400k. I couldn't believe it either. Looks to me like they might be getting ahead of themselves. I don't think a big UA logo towering over Baltimore would be that great of an idea.

PSINet is still a fresh wound.
UA will NOT go the way of PSINet.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #2938
bobysayshi

Heres an arTicle I found on an other site. Baltimore’s service-learning project will be a collaborative effort between Jewish Volunteer Connection, the JCC of Greater Baltimore, and Beth El Congregation. The majority of the projects will take place in Baltimore’s Reservoir Hill neighborhood, a diverse neighborhood that has recently begun significant revitalization, due to the strength of its neighborhood association. Service projects will include the removal of garbage from abandoned lots, creation of community gardens, and construction of green spaces for the community, thereby helping to beautify the area while also converting abandoned and often dangerous lots into beautiful and useful neighborhood assets. The work that volunteers and neighbors will accomplish by working together will create tangible benefits for the neighborhood and once the service projects are completed, the neighbors will be able to sustain and build upon the work that was done for the benefit of the whole community. The development of community gardens and parks will also encourage community building among the diverse residents of Reservoir Hill
bobysayshi no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #2939
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Quote:
Originally Posted by probaltimore View Post
Welcome to the Forum, probaltimore!
Please post often.
Old April 17th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #2940
bobysayshi

The Project
The expansion and renovation of the Baltimore Convention Center was critical to the Maryland Stadium Authority to boost the number, and size of conventions to be held in Baltimore. The facility more than doubled in size to a 1,225,000 square foot, state-of-the-art exhibit and meeting venue.

PK Role
Due to the advanced scheduling of exhibitions and convention events, it was necessary to complete the Baltimore Convention Center project on a fast-track construction schedule. Poole and Kent's scope of work included the installation of the mechanical systems, including: HVAC, plumbing, and utility piping. Some interesting figures from this project, includes: 5.5 Acre Urban Construction Site, 13,000 tons of structural steel, 13 miles of copper tubing, 450 plumbing fixtures, 135 fans, integration of DDC controls with existing facility, 40,000 cubic yards of concrete, 1.4 million pounds of duct work, 87 pumps, and 54 air handling units.

Highlights/Challenges
Poole and Kent's "can do" philosophy facilitated the Baltimore Convention Center's tight schedule. One example, from both a scheduling and value engineering standpoint, was our proposal of the deletion of the mechanical room canvas wrap. This costly item was substituted with efficient fiber board providing a substantial cost savings to the Owner.

In September 1996, the Baltimore Convention Center opened as scheduled, and today it is regarded as one of the Nation's top convention centers
bobysayshi no está en línea  

Closed Thread