daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 18th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #2981
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

The question Dave has asked of "Who are these people?" is one that I have asked on occassion before as well. The Baltimore I grew up in just didn't seem like the kind of place that attracted millionaires, but being a millionaire and affording a million dollar condo isn't as elite as the name seems to imply. We live in a country where the richer keep getting richer and greedier, and there are literally millions of people who can afford a $1 million+ condos. They can't all live in New York and LA.
The Ritz condos aren't the only million dollar condos in the city either. I believe many of the units in Harbor East have also reached seven digits, as will some of the units in the Pinnacle. And while I have yet to hear anyone say, "I'm moving to the Ritz," I'm sure they're out there, just like they are in any other city.
PeterSmith no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #2982
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

Report: Baltimore is second-tier city with first-tier prices
Baltimore Business Journal - 2:43 PM EDT Wednesday, April 18, 2007by Julekha DashStaff

The city's main tourism agency and the Baltimore Convention Center should report to the same board of directors, according to a new audit by an outside tourism consultant.

The report decried the separation of the Baltimore Area Convention and Visitors Association and the convention center itself in marketing the city as a meeting spot. It also criticized Baltimore for being a second-tier city with first-tier pricing and said meeting planners had concerns about crime and panhandlers.

The report, unveiled Wednesday at a news conference at Sports Legends at Camden Yards, was created by Frontline Inc., a Mercer Island, Wash., consulting firm. The firm, led by David Brudney and David R. Evans, was hired by BACVA this year to assess the city's strengths and weaknesses through interviews with meeting planners, tourism leaders and hotel executives.

Other recommendations from Frontline include:

Providing an additional $1.5 million funding for BACVA, up from its current $8.8 million;
Devoting more money to marketing to gays, Hispanics, seniors and other niche groups;
Creating a new "wow" attraction to draw more visitors;
Providing better transportation options to get around the city.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #2983
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

Thats justthe point. You'd be surpirised who is a 'millionaire' these days. There are millions of them infact.

A million dollar condo in Baltimore is a huge deal. A million dollar townhouse in San Fransisco is merely 'pretty nice.'

Its all about perspective.
cgunna no está en línea  
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #2984
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
Dave I asked you eariler in this thread about where you got the figure that UA was looking for 400k of space.
i also recall asking him the same exact question a couple of pages back. we need to see facts. evidence. articles. anything.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #2985
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

I spent some time in Philadelphia yesterday and was really impressed. The south side is a great area and their downtown continues to boom, especially with the new Comcast building going up.

Baltimore just wants to be a big city but will continue to fail if 23-story Towers in Canton are shunned. Umm, folks, it's a city there is going to be traffic. If you don't want traffic, move to Garrett County.

The Silo point project is really moving along amazingly quickly and could be a really great addition to our skyline when completed. I really hope our talls start to get going a bit here. We have five or 6 proposed 50-60 story buildings and we haven't seen anything with any of this for a year or so now. Pretty frustrating.
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #2986
Brian21

Likes (Received): 0

I agree Philly is awesome. I was there this past October when Comcast was only halfway up. I'm gonna try to get there again this summer.
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #2987
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

i agree.... you'd be amazed at how much money is in b-more. in my professional life, i deal with these people ona daily basis. trust me...atheletes do NOT make the big bucks. the big bucks is in buisness. the leggs. the masons. the roache's. the bill jews and kevin planks of the world are out there and they are recession proof. i am in 16,000 sq ft houses everyday and there are a lot of them around. one of the athletes i deal with who moved from the dallas area commented to me once that ..."baltimore has money." dallas and atlanta have debt...these people have money." lets also not forget how perochial this city is. i mean jeeze...the calvert family still has reunions every few years where half of the family flys to ireland or the other half flys here. our state flag is a medieval coat of arms!!!! plenty of cash to fill the ritz.
quabex no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #2988
DCer
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by quabex View Post
i agree.... you'd be amazed at how much money is in b-more. in my professional life, i deal with these people ona daily basis. trust me...atheletes do NOT make the big bucks. the big bucks is in buisness. the leggs. the masons. the roache's. the bill jews and kevin planks of the world are out there and they are recession proof. i am in 16,000 sq ft houses everyday and there are a lot of them around. one of the athletes i deal with who moved from the dallas area commented to me once that ..."baltimore has money." dallas and atlanta have debt...these people have money." lets also not forget how perochial this city is. i mean jeeze...the calvert family still has reunions every few years where half of the family flys to ireland or the other half flys here. our state flag is a medieval coat of arms!!!! plenty of cash to fill the ritz.
I don't know what you mean by recession proof. If you were around in the early 90s real estate crash you know no one is immune to bankruptcy.

"Dallas and Atlanta have debt...these people have money." Truer words were never spoken. The lifestyle in other parts of the country, especially places like Atlanta where I currently reside , is one of carefree money spending. Marylanders just seem more responsible with their money, and they make more of it anyways. Perhaps it has to do with the state's incredible levels of educational attainment.
DCer no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2007, 01:43 AM   #2989
quabex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCer View Post
I don't know what you mean by recession proof. If you were around in the early 90s real estate crash you know no one is immune to bankruptcy.

first...i WAS around in the early 90's, and second i didn't claim bankruptcy. in fact, most people ARE immune to bankruptcy. the reason you go bankrupt when a specific sector of the market crashes is because you've invested all of your eggs in that sector. anyone with a correctly balanced portfolio and responsible spending habits is certainly reccession proof. granted, the crash of a sector (especially housing) can effect the entire market. but unless all of your cash is in one investment, in the one bad market sect, you won't go bankrupt. the people who did have trouble in the early 90's were developers and the banks who funded them. thats just part of the risk of real estate.

i forget who said it, but one of our forumers here called to light that well over a trillion dollars are managed within a 2 block stretch of pratt street. don't for a minute think that its all out of town money.
quabex no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2007, 01:58 AM   #2990
scottbbfm

Likes (Received): 22

oh man...everyone is very crabby today! I think we ALL need to try the other side of the bed tomorrow.
scottbbfm no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2007, 02:03 AM   #2991
quabex

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbbfm View Post
oh man...everyone is very crabby today! I think we ALL need to try the other side of the bed tomorrow.
sorry, not trying to be crabby. actually in a good mood today. its just that i know these people are out there in our fair city.

cheers!

quabex no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2007, 04:31 AM   #2992
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Construction View Post
Inside bits for this group.

You will see something start on Naings site before the Fall (and yes the design has changed, both buildings are beautiful)

ARCWheeler has dropped Stern as the architect on 10 IH, that's why there has been a delay, they have selected a Texas firm to take the place.

Also, calling the Ritz a bust is far from legit (from Dave's comment) they are selling units as soon as they are released and have a waiting list in the 100's of people ready to buy.
In regard to Naing's towers, can you give us a little bit of "detailed" info on them?
Height? Floors?
Design? Crown or no crown?

And, that is interesting news on the architectual change for ArcWheeler. I hope it is designed better.

Thanks for the update.
Old April 19th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #2993
scando

Likes (Received): 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by quabex View Post
While I have never had money myself, I have often found myself around people who do because of accidents of geography. I've always found it interesting that "Old Baltimore" money is not as flamboyant as it might be. There are families still descended from colonial times that have held on to their money, invested conservatively and lived beneath their means for centuries now. When they want to spend, they can do it well. Places like the Ritz can be appealing when the romance of property and horses becomes a burden (i.e., getting old). I'm not all that surprised that the Ritz may sell well because there hasn't been anything like that in downtown Baltimore since the days of huge Mt Vernon townhouses.
scando no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #2994
scando

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue View Post
I spent some time in Philadelphia yesterday and was really impressed. The south side is a great area and their downtown continues to boom, especially with the new Comcast building going up.

Baltimore just wants to be a big city but will continue to fail if 23-story Towers in Canton are shunned. Umm, folks, it's a city there is going to be traffic. If you don't want traffic, move to Garrett County.
I was up there a few weeks ago for the King Tut exhibit, did some walking around and was really impressed that downtown has really developed a critical mass and looks good. The same thing is happening here although I don't think we will ever be as big...we're just starting from different points. Philadelphia has similar fights like the Icon thing, every city does. It's just part of the natural process of people protecting what they see as their interests. For decades nothing in Philly could be taller than City Hall and there are still plenty of neighborhoods where you can't think about building tall. I don't think that the Icon will mean much in the larger scheme of things. If anything, it's an indication that people have the means to organize and have concern about their neighborhood.
scando no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2007, 05:29 AM   #2995
Eerik

Likes (Received): 205

Interesting conversation about wealth…

All I have to say is that Baltimore does have a significant share of blue blood scattered throughout the area. Baltimore wealth traditionally has been extremely conservative and not flashy by any means. Therefore, new developments like the Ritz Carlton, and Four Seasons would have no appeal: too ostentatious.

As for the trillion dollars managed along Pratt Street, trust me…the majority of that capital is based outside the region.
Eerik no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2007, 05:33 AM   #2996
Eerik

Likes (Received): 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
I was up there a few weeks ago for the King Tut exhibit, did some walking around and was really impressed that downtown has really developed a critical mass and looks good. The same thing is happening here although I don't think we will ever be as big...we're just starting from different points. Philadelphia has similar fights like the Icon thing, every city does. It's just part of the natural process of people protecting what they see as their interests. For decades nothing in Philly could be taller than City Hall and there are still plenty of neighborhoods where you can't think about building tall. I don't think that the Icon will mean much in the larger scheme of things. If anything, it's an indication that people have the means to organize and have concern about their neighborhood.
Good point. While it was another generation altogether, it was still a form of NIMBY-ism that prevented “the highway” from being built through Canton, Fells Point and Federal Hill.

I think just about EVERYONE here would say it was a good thing the highway was never built.

So, in a sense, aren’t we all NIMBY’s?
Eerik no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2007, 05:41 AM   #2997
scando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerik View Post
Good point. While it was another generation altogether, it was still a form of NIMBY-ism that prevented “the highway” from being built through Canton, Fells Point and Federal Hill.

I think just about EVERYONE here would say it was a good thing the highway was never built.

So, in a sense, aren’t we all NIMBY’s?
Exactly. It's one of those questions about just whose Ox is being gored. One man's NIMBY is the other's neighborhood protector. Many of Baltimore's best old areas have been preserved by militant NIMBYISM for decades. Imagine trying to build something big in Guilford, Roland Park, Ruxton, Homeland, etc. One might have different views about the "rightness" of NIMBYISM, but it's hard to argue that it hasn't been successful at keeping these places desirable.
scando no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #2998
pennster

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
For decades nothing in Philly could be taller than City Hall and there are still plenty of neighborhoods where you can't think about building tall.
Just to be technical, you could build taller than City Hall; it was just a gentleman's agreement that dissuaded so many developers from doing so until the early 1980s.

Of course, in any city there will be neighborhoods where it is innapropriate to construct tall buildings.
pennster no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #2999
Baltimoreguy

Building a highway thru a city neighborhood is a little bit different than one 23 story tower on a two acre lot. That just my opinion
Baltimoreguy no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #3000
DCer
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreguy View Post
Building a highway thru a city neighborhood is a little bit different than one 23 story tower on a two acre lot. That just my opinion
I completely agree. If you don't want development, don't live in a city. As some one else said, go to Garrett County. This definitely applies to the people of HoCo as well.

#3000...ha!
DCer no está en línea  

Closed Thread