daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 25th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #3121
probaltimore

Likes (Received): 20

A Saks or Bloomies downtown would be great, but I'd rather see a store I'd shop in, like Boscov's. If Boscov's wants to be viewed as Baltimore's hometown store, as they have publicly stated, a downtown store might be the ticket. Also, with the success of Filene's Basement, any speculation that its sister store, DSW, might open - maybe in the old Fuddruckers site?
probaltimore no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #3122
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
North Ave will be our Newberry St....one day.

Nate
Optimism is indispensable. North Ave., despite its decline, still has a cool factor hopelessly hip Newberry Street can only aspire to. In time, the tide will turn, and a slow cruise in this (top down, of course) from Baltimore Cemetery at the east end to Gwynns Falls Park in the west, will (once again) be a great way to while away a sultry summer evening.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #3123
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
I know there's a sports stadia development thread somewhere on this board, but I'm so freaking happy about this, I'm gonna post it here. My alma mater is finally upgrading Byrd Stadium!!!! I'm a HUGE Maryland fan. To help you all understand how cised I am about this...this is how I would feel if the final renderings of 10IH and 300EP being delivered on the same day.

Maryland's Byrd Stadium to Add Some Luxury

Wednesday, April 25, 2007; Washington Post Page E02

University of Maryland athletic officials yesterday unveiled details of a plan to add 64 luxury suites to Byrd Stadium, the first and most critical part of a proposed pay-as-you-go expansion project that would add new amenities and eventually raise the building's capacity to nearly 60,000.

The first phase of the project, which will cost the athletic department $50.8 million, will triple the size of the Tyser Tower complex on the stadium's south side and will include the new luxury suites, a larger press box, a new team store and more than 500 new mezzanine-level seats.

Construction is expected to start after the Terrapins play their final home game this season and last until just before the start of the 2010 season. A new LED video board, which is also part of the first phase of expansion, will be installed in the west end of the stadium before the start of this season.

"It is a truly exciting plan for us at Maryland," Athletic Director Debbie Yow said. "There will be something for everyone in the overall expansion, in the vision for what Byrd Stadium could be."

Revenue from a $20 million naming rights deal with Chevy Chase Bank signed last August will cover part of the cost of the Tyser Tower expansion. The remainder will be funded through a $35 million loan to the athletic department by the University System of Maryland and through private donations.

Officials plan to use the revenue from the sale of the luxury suites, which start at $40,000 apiece, to repay the loan and help fund the completion of the remaining phases of the proposed larger expansion and renovation project.

"These phases will only be initiated, and we will only seek approval for this campus, once we identify the funding sources for them," Yow said.

Those plans call for the addition of safety railings in the stadium's existing lower bowl, lowering the playing field to improve the sight lines of the first 10 rows, the addition of restrooms and concessions on the stadium's south side and chair-back seating on the second tier of seats on the north side.

The final phase of expansion calls for the construction of a two-tiered seating structure that would wrap around the stadium's west end, similar to the one that stands on the north end. Plans also include an expansion to the Gossett Football Team House and the installation of synthetic turf to replace the natural grass playing field.

Yow said the school has received 10 commitments for the luxury suites.

Terrapins Note: Cornerback Richard Taylor may be sidelined for the season, pending an examination of his injured left knee. Coach Ralph Friedgen said Taylor will undergo arthroscopic knee surgery to determine whether the anterior cruciate ligament is sprained or torn.

-- Marc Carig,
wow, impressive!! i wish the orange bowl would do the same for my beloved hurricanes.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #3124
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by probaltimore View Post
A Saks or Bloomies downtown would be great, but I'd rather see a store I'd shop in, like Boscov's. If Boscov's wants to be viewed as Baltimore's hometown store, as they have publicly stated, a downtown store might be the ticket. Also, with the success of Filene's Basement, any speculation that its sister store, DSW, might open - maybe in the old Fuddruckers site?
welcome!!
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #3125
DemolitionDave

Likes (Received): 208

Nate,
You are right. It is Dillon adn Lakewood. It is right across the street from my favorite watering hole Mahaffey's. I saw the zoning signs, asked around and that was what I was told.
DemolitionDave no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #3126
vivo
Baltimore/DC Corridorite

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Optimism is indispensable. North Ave., despite its decline, still has a cool factor hopelessly hip Newberry Street can only aspire to. In time, the tide will turn, and a slow cruise in this (top down, of course) from Baltimore Cemetery at the east end to Gwynns Falls Park in the west, will (once again) be a great way to while away a sultry summer evening.
North Ave is that hip?
is it cuz of the art's district and grittiness?
charles theater ?
vivo no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #3127
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
North Ave is that hip?
is it cuz of the art's district and grittiness?
charles theater ?
Not hip: cool. Hip is temporary; cool is bred in the bones. And there's no mistaking it: North Avenue--in its history, architecture, vistas, rolling topography, and the neighborhoods it transects--is cool. Faded and neglected, but still cool.

[Probably should attach an mp3 clip with the staccato beat of bongo drums to accompany the above. ;-)]
Old April 25th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #3128
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

No doubt about the coolness of North Ave. It has character from one end to the other. The decline of pretty much the entire stretch speaks volumes to the decay of the city from the inside out. Things will eventually change and that character cannot be replicated anywhere.

Here's to a reborn North Ave.
cgunna no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #3129
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
No doubt about the coolness of North Ave. It has character from one end to the other. The decline of pretty much the entire stretch speaks volumes to the decay of the city from the inside out. Things will eventually change and that character cannot be replicated anywhere.

Here's to a reborn North Ave.

The building on the North West corner of Calvert and North Ave. looks to be getting extensive renovations. Anyone know whats going in there?
southbalto no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #3130
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

Mason, as a fellow MD alum and huge Terp fan, I'm also very excited about these new upgrades. However, I'm worried the expansion behind the end zone will take awhile.

Also, these renderings don't seem right, particularly the third one. That is def the Alumni Center in the foreground and there definitely is nothing there except Cole and the tennis courts. The Alumni Center sits way over in the corner right next to the stadium. Do you agree with me on this?
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #3131
waj0527

Likes (Received): 468

SDE...the renderings dont really make much sense. (we were talking about this over on the TerpTown.com message board).

Cole seems to have moved from its current location to a little closer to Lot 1 and the Alumni Center seems to have moved as well. I was more worried about the design of Tyser. I was hoping they wouldnt just elongate the current building. Im really happy that the new structure would be clad in glass and concrete a la Comcast Center.

The west end zone expansion is NOT apart of phase 1 construction (nor should it be). Maryland football isnt there...yet. Besides, Debbie Yow needs to raise more money for the expansion of Tyser first. The end zone expansion seems a little ambitious anyway. It seems to be strictly a 'fan base building' type of move. Those 3rd deck seats would be hard as hell to sell. Family 4 packs would be like $50 or so for every game except those against Va Tech and WVU. Maybe Penn State will finally play us.

I am excited that lots of little cosmetic things will be done ASAP i.e. the new Jumbotron behind the student section, lowered field, new synthetic playing surface like what the Ravens play on, an improved club level, etc.

But yeah, the background of those renderings is def. a little fishy.

Dr. Yow has done a solid job improving our facilities. All Maryland needs is a new soccer stadium, a new full-size outdoor bubble for the football team, and a new baseball stadium and I'll be happy.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 12:46 AM   #3132
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionDave View Post
Nate,
You are right. It is Dillon adn Lakewood. It is right across the street from my favorite watering hole Mahaffey's. I saw the zoning signs, asked around and that was what I was told.
hmmm... i live a block away from there and i havn't heard anything. i'll start nosing around a bit! btw...was there any OFFICIAL news regarding the icon tower after last weeks hearing?
quabex no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:04 AM   #3133
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

What happened to the Pepsi Sign along 83. The top half is gone and I cant tell if it was removed or damaged... I want to say it looks damaged but I dont see how that could have happened.
House3780 no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #3134
quabex

Quote:
Originally Posted by House3780 View Post
What happened to the Pepsi Sign along 83. The top half is gone and I cant tell if it was removed or damaged... I want to say it looks damaged but I dont see how that could have happened.
i saw a crew working on it this morning on my way to the office. i figured they were changing bulbs or something.
quabex no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #3135
quabex

does anyone know what is going on north of tv hill? there is a LOT of land being prepped for something. mt washington's childrens hospital expanding? new homes? you can see the progress from jfx. whatever it is will be substantial.
quabex no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:32 AM   #3136
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by quabex View Post
does anyone know what is going on north of tv hill? there is a LOT of land being prepped for something.
Pretty sure it's Loyola College's Intercollegiate Athletic Complex.
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:36 AM   #3137
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbalto View Post
The building on the North West corner of Calvert and North Ave. looks to be getting extensive renovations. Anyone know whats going in there?
Think NW corner Calvert and North is a vacant lot that used to be an ice rink years (and years) ago. Are you thinking of the NW corner of Charles and North? Not sure what that is, other than that it's owned by Charles Street Properties, LLC.
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:49 AM   #3138
quabex

Quote:
thanks...probably so. although i was under the impression the loyola complex was going to be north of cold spring. iof it IS loyola, it'll be very visable from 83. very cool spot.
quabex no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:59 AM   #3139
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

This would be good

I want Saks on Pratt St. We can put Boscov on the Super Block. Pratt St. should cater to the wealthy population or upper middle-class. The super block could handle the middle class(teacher's, nurses,etc..) Newberry in Boston is high end and caters to the Upper Middle Class.

I would like Pratt St. and Harbor East to be similar to Newbury St, Fifth Avenue, or Wisconsin Avenue in D.C.

Quote:
Hear, hear. Throw in an iconic UnderArmor* store along Pratt on part of the Legg Mason tower block and a Target where the Hecht's used to be in the BoA building on the NW corner of Pratt and Charles and we'd really be cookin.'

*Was in the iconic NikeTown store on Newberry Street in Boston over the weekend. It's a three story advertisement for the brand, with a Boston Marathon motif. Very cool.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:14 AM   #3140
AHHHHH

Likes (Received): 0

does anyone know what's goin on with Towson Commons? i've been hearing a little about a facelift there, and there was a rumor that a thirty story office building was going there. I haven't heard anything on here yet, and was just wondering if anyone knew anything

Closed Thread