daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #3161
Huck
Registered User
 
Huck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 309
Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbalto View Post
IF you happen to be rolling around in a Diesel this is worth a look. A couple neighbors of mine were big in getting this coOP going.

http://www.baltimorebiodiesel.org/

They distribute just off of 28th st. and cars built after 2000 need very little modification to run on the beans........
Cool! I just bought a VW diesel last summer, which was my reaction to gas prices.
__________________
Native Baltimorean (Baltimoron)
Huck no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #3162
jamie_hunt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,544
Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionDave View Post
Public waste was buried there at a time when landfill construction was pretty much dig a hole and bury it. ... Better off to let sleeping dogs lie.
Right. OTOH, this particular dog was leaking toxins into the Jones Falls, remediation of which (IIRC) is part of Loyola's plan.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #3163
southbalto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 473
Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Cool! I just bought a VW diesel last summer, which was my reaction to gas prices.
One of the pump guys there tells me that all you need to do is replace the fuel filter on the car a couple times over the first 6 months. Apparently, the biodiesel cleans out the petrocarbon that has built up in the fuel lines. There is a lot of information out there on going biodiesel….especially for VWs. I’m not sure if it voids you’re warranty in the states but in Europe I’m pretty sure that it doesn’t. I think I remember him telling me that it reduces your mpg slightly but it's much better for the environment and good for our farmers!
southbalto no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #3164
cgunna
2A
 
cgunna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 739
Likes (Received): 7

Pratt Street Shopping

IMO,

Pratt Street is the 100% WRONG PLACE for a Bloomingdales or equivalant. All of the sentiment for making Pratt street like Wisconsin street fall short for one teeeny little detail.... (speaking of Wisconsin, where is the high end retail folks keep mentioning???? Banana Republic, Steve Madden, Aldo and Up Against the Wall don't exactly strike me as high end. Aside from the Polo store, I don't know what I would call 'high end.' but maybe I am forgetting some stuff.)

Pratt Street is the backbone of the CBD. Pratt Street is not, should not, and probably will not become a flashy shopping destination. Its first a place for business. It is also what the City is planning to be the main boulevard in town.

Now, one of the top tourists destination in the world happens to be located on Pratt street and they needs things to buy as well. However, I think its misguided to expect tourists to have any significant impact on the overall sales figures of a Neiman Marcus. Most tourists just are not going to buy a $875 Hermes shirt. CD's from Best Buy or a pair of shades or a new shirt from Filene's, sure.

If we are going to try and put that sort of retail in the City, I'd like it to be in Harbor East. Keep Pratt Street retail functional, mainstream, and accessible for most. I'd much rather see a Macy's (man I miss Hecht's ) on Pratt than a Saks.

cgunna no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #3165
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Baltimore/Columbia, Md.
Posts: 2,257
Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofterps View Post
Baltimore has no high-end retail department stores in the city right now. We need some to maintain increase our tax base over the long haul
i agree with you on this and i'm all for increasing the tax base, but you can't blatantly say that the high-end retail should pertain "exclusively" to the rich and wealthy. i have to agree with tricia on this one. scando also made a good point that it's not good to build too much high-end retail.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #3166
Maudibjr
Indeed
 
Maudibjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,265
Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
This isn't anything especially new but when the TC re-do was announced, they were taking about $30 million worth of upgrades. That would not seem to add up to a 30 story building, but it's a pretty significant facelift. They also bought the office building around the corner on Chesapeake Ave. I would be happy if they could go back to the way it was with Border's and some restaurants. It's pretty ratty in its current limbo.
Scandois correct. Sombody called Towson Commons LLC own Towson Commons. They also bought the Layfayette Building(real narrow building on Chesapeake) next door. Apparently they ended the leases with the restraunts and have some plan to turn the whole thing into condo's. I am assuming just the retail space and not the leased out office space. I have no idea how that could work.


BTW , in case you were wondering about the construction at Towson Town Center, Apparently there will be a 4 level pottery barn at 63908 sq foot and 23510 sq ft of restruants , supposably a PF Changs /Cheescake factory combo.

General Growth properties owns Towson Town Center. My wife has been struggling with this projects documents for Baltimore county recently. They are on there 9th admendment and they kept putting them on top of each other for the plat and it is almost unreadable.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #3167
Hugh Jaramillo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 236
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudibjr View Post
Scandois correct. Sombody called Towson Commons LLC own Towson Commons. They also bought the Layfayette Building(real narrow building on Chesapeake) next door. Apparently they ended the leases with the restraunts and have some plan to turn the whole thing into condo's. I am assuming just the retail space and not the leased out office space. I have no idea how that could work.


BTW , in case you were wondering about the construction at Towson Town Center, Apparently there will be a 4 level pottery barn at 63908 sq foot and 23510 sq ft of restruants , supposably a PF Changs /Cheescake factory combo.

General Growth properties owns Towson Town Center. My wife has been struggling with this projects documents for Baltimore county recently. They are on there 9th admendment and they kept putting them on top of each other for the plat and it is almost unreadable.

I thought it was going to be a Crate & Barrel. Where did you get Pottery Barn from?
Hugh Jaramillo no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #3168
pfd103
Bmore
 
pfd103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,349
Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
IMO,

Pratt Street is the 100% WRONG PLACE for a Bloomingdales or equivalant. All of the sentiment for making Pratt street like Wisconsin street fall short for one teeeny little detail.... (speaking of Wisconsin, where is the high end retail folks keep mentioning???? Banana Republic, Steve Madden, Aldo and Up Against the Wall don't exactly strike me as high end. Aside from the Polo store, I don't know what I would call 'high end.' but maybe I am forgetting some stuff.)

Pratt Street is the backbone of the CBD. Pratt Street is not, should not, and probably will not become a flashy shopping destination. Its first a place for business. It is also what the City is planning to be the main boulevard in town.

Now, one of the top tourists destination in the world happens to be located on Pratt street and they needs things to buy as well. However, I think its misguided to expect tourists to have any significant impact on the overall sales figures of a Neiman Marcus. Most tourists just are not going to buy a $875 Hermes shirt. CD's from Best Buy or a pair of shades or a new shirt from Filene's, sure.

If we are going to try and put that sort of retail in the City, I'd like it to be in Harbor East. Keep Pratt Street retail functional, mainstream, and accessible for most. I'd much rather see a Macy's (man I miss Hecht's ) on Pratt than a Saks.

I agree about the Macy's for Pratt...perhaps the higher-end stores will find a place on the west side development in years to come.
pfd103 no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #3169
30 Floors Up
Registered User
 
30 Floors Up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Blue Ridge Summit
Posts: 3,375
Likes (Received): 811

I'm and avid Baltimore booster, but I don't think high-end shoppers will go to the West Side. The stores would never locate there because of the demographics. They need neighbrohoods like Federal Hill, Canton, and Harbor East in their 2 mile radius. Moving west removes those neighborhoods and replaces them with the West Baltimore slums thus lowering critical statistics such as disposable income.

Furthermore, even if by some miracle a Sak's or Nortstrom opened in the West Side, I simply can't imagine the Hunt Valley, Columbia, or Roland Park set shopping there. That area still has to many negative conotations associated with it. Also, it is too far from the major tourist attractions to get hords of visitors.

High end on Pratt Street, sure. The West Side – I’ll never live long enough to ever see it. I do think Harbor East has a good shot at landing some luxury stores though.

I take the above back. Park's Chicken in Lexington Market is a luxury store to me. I go there every 2 year and get the hot and spicy chicken wings. I'd go more often but it takes that long for the cholesterol to clear my system. I guess the term luxury is all relative isn't it?

BTW, I like the 1 big thread we have. It gives you to opportunity to go back in time without having to search for threads which are now archived.

The "Town and Country" sign is now gone from the skyline.

I think that Pratt Street should be a home to business, retail, and people. Just about every street in Manhattan is and that is one of the things that make it special!

Scarlet Place has 7,000 square feet of retail space for lease at President and Pratt Streets. It's about as big as the Fudrucker's site.

Come the think about it, we were supposed to hear who is moving into the Fudrucker's site by now! Everyone is late reporting to us these days - Fudruckers - 10 Inner Harbor - 300 East Pratt Street. Isn't anyone on time anymore? DON'T THEY KNOW WHO WE ARE? I'm writing my Congressman damn it! Opps. Sorry, one to many gin and tonics.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; April 26th, 2007 at 10:44 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #3170
Naterpotater
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 29
Likes (Received): 0

Crate and Barrel

Towson Town Center will be getting a new Crate and Barrel and a Cheesecake Factory. I used to work at the C&B in Towson while I was in school, and they finally landed a deal with General Growth to raze the parking lot and Mobil and build a full fledged furniture store.
Naterpotater no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #3171
slake707
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 21
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
IMO,

Pratt Street is the 100% WRONG PLACE for a Bloomingdales or equivalant. All of the sentiment for making Pratt street like Wisconsin street fall short for one teeeny little detail.... (speaking of Wisconsin, where is the high end retail folks keep mentioning???? Banana Republic, Steve Madden, Aldo and Up Against the Wall don't exactly strike me as high end. Aside from the Polo store, I don't know what I would call 'high end.' but maybe I am forgetting some stuff.)
There are many pieces of Wisconsin. There is Wisconsin by M Street in Georgetown, which is what you are describing. Maybe they are thinking of Wisconsin by Friendship Heights. There is a Saks, Bloomingdales (coming after new building finishes), NM, Tiffany & Co., Jimmy Choo, Klinger, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Barney's, Dior, etc..
slake707 no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #3172
Silver Springer
The Flagship State
 
Silver Springer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,521
Likes (Received): 8

Is this something new or old?

This is rendering of the 550 Pratt Street office building, I'm not sure if this is something new or old, if it's old please disregard.

__________________
SILVER SPRING SCENE 3.0
Silver Springer no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #3173
30 Floors Up
Registered User
 
30 Floors Up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Blue Ridge Summit
Posts: 3,375
Likes (Received): 811

I doubt it will be constructed. It is on the same site as the new U of M hospital which is now under construction. Note the fencing around the parking lot which would have been the site.




Last edited by 30 Floors Up; April 26th, 2007 at 10:37 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #3174
Silver Springer
The Flagship State
 
Silver Springer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,521
Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slake707 View Post
There are many pieces of Wisconsin. There is Wisconsin by M Street in Georgetown, which is what you are describing. Maybe they are thinking of Wisconsin by Friendship Heights. There is a Saks, Bloomingdales (coming after new building finishes), NM, Tiffany & Co., Jimmy Choo, Klinger, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Barney's, Dior, etc..
And that's the Maryland side, there really isn't any place wealthier shopping than that in the D.C. area. They don't call it the Rodeo drive of the east coast for nothing.
__________________
SILVER SPRING SCENE 3.0
Silver Springer no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:39 PM   #3175
30 Floors Up
Registered User
 
30 Floors Up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Blue Ridge Summit
Posts: 3,375
Likes (Received): 811

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springer View Post
And that's the Maryland side, there really isn't any place wealthier shopping than that in the D.C. area. They don't call it the Rodeo drive of the east coast for nothing.
Don't know about all that. Manhattan and Chicago are better then both I think.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #3176
Maudibjr
Indeed
 
Maudibjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,265
Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jaramillo View Post
I thought it was going to be a Crate & Barrel. Where did you get Pottery Barn from?

Thats what they told the county they are building, it could of changed. Isin't there a C & B in Towson Town Center. I do very little shopping, so I'm not really overly familier.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #3177
jamie_hunt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,544
Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
I doubt it will be constructed. It is on the same site as the new U of M hospital which is now under construction. Note the fencing around the parking lot which would have been the site.


Right. Incidentally, two things:

1. UMMC is spending $329 million on an ambulatory care facility on that site, and there doesn't seem to be a rendering anywhere.

2. It must suq just a little to be a tenant of the Greene House (the converted 19th c. lofts in the pic) ... in the past couple years, a Hampton Court hotel was built to the south, the Zenith to the east, and construction started on the a/c center to the north. That's a lot of dust and noise. Not at night, of course, but still ...
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #3178
StevenW
Born in Baltimore
 
StevenW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Newberry, SC
Posts: 11,705
Likes (Received): 1602

Hal Wheeler e-mailed me and told me that Stern is still the architect. The "texas Firm" is just additional players.
__________________
Baltimore, my hometown.
StevenW no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #3179
jamie_hunt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,544
Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springer View Post
And that's the Maryland side, there really isn't any place wealthier shopping than that in the D.C. area. They don't call it the Rodeo drive of the east coast for nothing.

Wait a minute ... thought Newbury Street in Boston was the "Rodeo Drive of the East." At least, that's what they think (3rd paragraph). ;-)
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #3180
PeterSmith
Moderator
 
PeterSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami/Baltimore
Posts: 5,856
Likes (Received): 2660

It seems to me like Light St. would also be an ideal corridor for high-end retail since it would be just as accessible to the harbor tourists, and it could serve to bring them deeper into the CBD. It could also reach into Federal Hill, and would be more or less just as easy to get to as Pratt St. from Canton, Fells Point, etc. It just doesn't seem like there are many Light St. properties capable of supporting large department stores and chains. But it would be nice if we could turn Pratt and Light into retail corridors that both converge on the Inner Harbor. Perhaps it could be similar to the spoke-and-wheel like shopping corridors that converge on Piccadilly Circus in London.
PeterSmith no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu