daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 26th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #3161
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbalto View Post
IF you happen to be rolling around in a Diesel this is worth a look. A couple neighbors of mine were big in getting this coOP going.

http://www.baltimorebiodiesel.org/

They distribute just off of 28th st. and cars built after 2000 need very little modification to run on the beans........
Cool! I just bought a VW diesel last summer, which was my reaction to gas prices.

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #3162
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionDave View Post
Public waste was buried there at a time when landfill construction was pretty much dig a hole and bury it. ... Better off to let sleeping dogs lie.
Right. OTOH, this particular dog was leaking toxins into the Jones Falls, remediation of which (IIRC) is part of Loyola's plan.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #3163
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Cool! I just bought a VW diesel last summer, which was my reaction to gas prices.
One of the pump guys there tells me that all you need to do is replace the fuel filter on the car a couple times over the first 6 months. Apparently, the biodiesel cleans out the petrocarbon that has built up in the fuel lines. There is a lot of information out there on going biodiesel….especially for VWs. I’m not sure if it voids you’re warranty in the states but in Europe I’m pretty sure that it doesn’t. I think I remember him telling me that it reduces your mpg slightly but it's much better for the environment and good for our farmers!
southbalto no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #3164
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

Pratt Street Shopping

IMO,

Pratt Street is the 100% WRONG PLACE for a Bloomingdales or equivalant. All of the sentiment for making Pratt street like Wisconsin street fall short for one teeeny little detail.... (speaking of Wisconsin, where is the high end retail folks keep mentioning???? Banana Republic, Steve Madden, Aldo and Up Against the Wall don't exactly strike me as high end. Aside from the Polo store, I don't know what I would call 'high end.' but maybe I am forgetting some stuff.)

Pratt Street is the backbone of the CBD. Pratt Street is not, should not, and probably will not become a flashy shopping destination. Its first a place for business. It is also what the City is planning to be the main boulevard in town.

Now, one of the top tourists destination in the world happens to be located on Pratt street and they needs things to buy as well. However, I think its misguided to expect tourists to have any significant impact on the overall sales figures of a Neiman Marcus. Most tourists just are not going to buy a $875 Hermes shirt. CD's from Best Buy or a pair of shades or a new shirt from Filene's, sure.

If we are going to try and put that sort of retail in the City, I'd like it to be in Harbor East. Keep Pratt Street retail functional, mainstream, and accessible for most. I'd much rather see a Macy's (man I miss Hecht's ) on Pratt than a Saks.

cgunna no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #3165
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofterps View Post
Baltimore has no high-end retail department stores in the city right now. We need some to maintain increase our tax base over the long haul
i agree with you on this and i'm all for increasing the tax base, but you can't blatantly say that the high-end retail should pertain "exclusively" to the rich and wealthy. i have to agree with tricia on this one. scando also made a good point that it's not good to build too much high-end retail.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #3166
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
This isn't anything especially new but when the TC re-do was announced, they were taking about $30 million worth of upgrades. That would not seem to add up to a 30 story building, but it's a pretty significant facelift. They also bought the office building around the corner on Chesapeake Ave. I would be happy if they could go back to the way it was with Border's and some restaurants. It's pretty ratty in its current limbo.
Scandois correct. Sombody called Towson Commons LLC own Towson Commons. They also bought the Layfayette Building(real narrow building on Chesapeake) next door. Apparently they ended the leases with the restraunts and have some plan to turn the whole thing into condo's. I am assuming just the retail space and not the leased out office space. I have no idea how that could work.

BTW , in case you were wondering about the construction at Towson Town Center, Apparently there will be a 4 level pottery barn at 63908 sq foot and 23510 sq ft of restruants , supposably a PF Changs /Cheescake factory combo.

General Growth properties owns Towson Town Center. My wife has been struggling with this projects documents for Baltimore county recently. They are on there 9th admendment and they kept putting them on top of each other for the plat and it is almost unreadable.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #3167
Hugh Jaramillo

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudibjr View Post
Scandois correct. Sombody called Towson Commons LLC own Towson Commons. They also bought the Layfayette Building(real narrow building on Chesapeake) next door. Apparently they ended the leases with the restraunts and have some plan to turn the whole thing into condo's. I am assuming just the retail space and not the leased out office space. I have no idea how that could work.

BTW , in case you were wondering about the construction at Towson Town Center, Apparently there will be a 4 level pottery barn at 63908 sq foot and 23510 sq ft of restruants , supposably a PF Changs /Cheescake factory combo.

General Growth properties owns Towson Town Center. My wife has been struggling with this projects documents for Baltimore county recently. They are on there 9th admendment and they kept putting them on top of each other for the plat and it is almost unreadable.

I thought it was going to be a Crate & Barrel. Where did you get Pottery Barn from?
Hugh Jaramillo no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #3168
pfd103
Bmore

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
IMO,

Pratt Street is the 100% WRONG PLACE for a Bloomingdales or equivalant. All of the sentiment for making Pratt street like Wisconsin street fall short for one teeeny little detail.... (speaking of Wisconsin, where is the high end retail folks keep mentioning???? Banana Republic, Steve Madden, Aldo and Up Against the Wall don't exactly strike me as high end. Aside from the Polo store, I don't know what I would call 'high end.' but maybe I am forgetting some stuff.)

Pratt Street is the backbone of the CBD. Pratt Street is not, should not, and probably will not become a flashy shopping destination. Its first a place for business. It is also what the City is planning to be the main boulevard in town.

Now, one of the top tourists destination in the world happens to be located on Pratt street and they needs things to buy as well. However, I think its misguided to expect tourists to have any significant impact on the overall sales figures of a Neiman Marcus. Most tourists just are not going to buy a $875 Hermes shirt. CD's from Best Buy or a pair of shades or a new shirt from Filene's, sure.

If we are going to try and put that sort of retail in the City, I'd like it to be in Harbor East. Keep Pratt Street retail functional, mainstream, and accessible for most. I'd much rather see a Macy's (man I miss Hecht's ) on Pratt than a Saks.

I agree about the Macy's for Pratt...perhaps the higher-end stores will find a place on the west side development in years to come.
pfd103 no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #3169
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 811

I'm and avid Baltimore booster, but I don't think high-end shoppers will go to the West Side. The stores would never locate there because of the demographics. They need neighbrohoods like Federal Hill, Canton, and Harbor East in their 2 mile radius. Moving west removes those neighborhoods and replaces them with the West Baltimore slums thus lowering critical statistics such as disposable income.

Furthermore, even if by some miracle a Sak's or Nortstrom opened in the West Side, I simply can't imagine the Hunt Valley, Columbia, or Roland Park set shopping there. That area still has to many negative conotations associated with it. Also, it is too far from the major tourist attractions to get hords of visitors.

High end on Pratt Street, sure. The West Side – I’ll never live long enough to ever see it. I do think Harbor East has a good shot at landing some luxury stores though.

I take the above back. Park's Chicken in Lexington Market is a luxury store to me. I go there every 2 year and get the hot and spicy chicken wings. I'd go more often but it takes that long for the cholesterol to clear my system. I guess the term luxury is all relative isn't it?

BTW, I like the 1 big thread we have. It gives you to opportunity to go back in time without having to search for threads which are now archived.

The "Town and Country" sign is now gone from the skyline.

I think that Pratt Street should be a home to business, retail, and people. Just about every street in Manhattan is and that is one of the things that make it special!

Scarlet Place has 7,000 square feet of retail space for lease at President and Pratt Streets. It's about as big as the Fudrucker's site.

Come the think about it, we were supposed to hear who is moving into the Fudrucker's site by now! Everyone is late reporting to us these days - Fudruckers - 10 Inner Harbor - 300 East Pratt Street. Isn't anyone on time anymore? DON'T THEY KNOW WHO WE ARE? I'm writing my Congressman damn it! Opps. Sorry, one to many gin and tonics.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; April 26th, 2007 at 10:44 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #3170
Naterpotater

Crate and Barrel

Towson Town Center will be getting a new Crate and Barrel and a Cheesecake Factory. I used to work at the C&B in Towson while I was in school, and they finally landed a deal with General Growth to raze the parking lot and Mobil and build a full fledged furniture store.
Naterpotater no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #3171
slake707

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
IMO,

There are many pieces of Wisconsin. There is Wisconsin by M Street in Georgetown, which is what you are describing. Maybe they are thinking of Wisconsin by Friendship Heights. There is a Saks, Bloomingdales (coming after new building finishes), NM, Tiffany & Co., Jimmy Choo, Klinger, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Barney's, Dior, etc..
slake707 no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #3172
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 8

Is this something new or old?

This is rendering of the 550 Pratt Street office building, I'm not sure if this is something new or old, if it's old please disregard.

Old April 26th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #3173
30 Floors Up

I doubt it will be constructed. It is on the same site as the new U of M hospital which is now under construction. Note the fencing around the parking lot which would have been the site.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; April 26th, 2007 at 10:37 PM.
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #3174
Silver Springer
The Flagship State

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slake707 View Post
There are many pieces of Wisconsin. There is Wisconsin by M Street in Georgetown, which is what you are describing. Maybe they are thinking of Wisconsin by Friendship Heights. There is a Saks, Bloomingdales (coming after new building finishes), NM, Tiffany & Co., Jimmy Choo, Klinger, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Barney's, Dior, etc..
And that's the Maryland side, there really isn't any place wealthier shopping than that in the D.C. area. They don't call it the Rodeo drive of the east coast for nothing.
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:39 PM   #3175
30 Floors Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springer View Post
And that's the Maryland side, there really isn't any place wealthier shopping than that in the D.C. area. They don't call it the Rodeo drive of the east coast for nothing.
Don't know about all that. Manhattan and Chicago are better then both I think.
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #3176
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jaramillo View Post
I thought it was going to be a Crate & Barrel. Where did you get Pottery Barn from?

Thats what they told the county they are building, it could of changed. Isin't there a C & B in Towson Town Center. I do very little shopping, so I'm not really overly familier.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #3177
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Floors Up View Post
I doubt it will be constructed. It is on the same site as the new U of M hospital which is now under construction. Note the fencing around the parking lot which would have been the site.

Right. Incidentally, two things:

1. UMMC is spending $329 million on an ambulatory care facility on that site, and there doesn't seem to be a rendering anywhere.

2. It must suq just a little to be a tenant of the Greene House (the converted 19th c. lofts in the pic) ... in the past couple years, a Hampton Court hotel was built to the south, the Zenith to the east, and construction started on the a/c center to the north. That's a lot of dust and noise. Not at night, of course, but still ...
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #3178
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Hal Wheeler e-mailed me and told me that Stern is still the architect. The "texas Firm" is just additional players.
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #3179
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springer View Post

Wait a minute ... thought Newbury Street in Boston was the "Rodeo Drive of the East." At least, that's what they think (3rd paragraph). ;-)
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #3180
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

It seems to me like Light St. would also be an ideal corridor for high-end retail since it would be just as accessible to the harbor tourists, and it could serve to bring them deeper into the CBD. It could also reach into Federal Hill, and would be more or less just as easy to get to as Pratt St. from Canton, Fells Point, etc. It just doesn't seem like there are many Light St. properties capable of supporting large department stores and chains. But it would be nice if we could turn Pratt and Light into retail corridors that both converge on the Inner Harbor. Perhaps it could be similar to the spoke-and-wheel like shopping corridors that converge on Piccadilly Circus in London.
PeterSmith no está en línea  

Closed Thread