daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 28th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #301
waj0527

Likes (Received): 469

Yeah.....I know the reasoning. Still sucks tho.
waj0527 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #302
jpav

Likes (Received): 0

I was at my gym at the power plant looking out the window and noticed that there really aren't that many trees. Many of the tree holes in the sidewalk didn't even have any trees in them. Hopefully they will plant new ones in the spring because this is right on Pratt St. and should be the best looking street in the city.
jpav no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #303
getontrac

Different parts of the City have varying amounts of trees. I think we need better captial investments and more O&M. I think we've got more tree cover than other cities of comparable density. We simply need better ways to keep and maintain them.

NW Baltimore is full of trees.

NW Baltimore is one of the most overlooked sections of the City, these days in the popular presses and discussion boards. I think a lot of the "nuevo-Baltimoreans" are completely unfamiliar with its simple existance.

Lots of opportunites and classic early 20th century middle/upper-middle class Americana with lots of trees. It also has lots of higher density housing in the form of apartment buildings and triple-deck flats.

Let's save it now, before it falls down!

Someone with a digital should get some shots on here. Best value for a large, detached house (not to change the subject too much! ).

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2007, 08:06 PM   #304
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
Different parts of the City have varying amounts of trees. I think we need better captial investments and more O&M. I think we've got more tree cover than other cities of comparable density. We simply need better ways to keep and maintain them.

NW Baltimore is one of the most overlooked sections of the City, these days in the popular presses and discussion boards. I think a lot of the "nuevo-Baltimoreans" are completely unfamiliar with its simple existance.

Lots of opportunites and classic early 20th century middle/upper-middle class Americana with lots of trees. It also has lots of higher density housing in the form of apartment buildings and triple-deck flats.

Someone with a digital should get some shots on here. Best value for a large, detached house (not to change the subject too much! ).

Nate
speaking of which......

i think i remember hearing news of a new park being developed near sinai hospital off of greenspring avenue. i wonder if this is still going to come into fruition.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #305
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Commercial growth spurs building boom
Office, warehouse, retail space being constructed
By Larry Carson
sun reporter
Originally published January 28, 2007

Commercial construction in Howard County is booming - at 1999-2000 levels - according to Richard W. Story, chief executive officer of the county's Economic Development Authority.

In concrete terms, that means 1.5 million square feet of office, warehouse and retail space under construction, with another 2.9 million square feet being planned.

In addition, Story said, the county is likely to gain a corporate headquarters moving from another county, though he would not identify the company.

The 600-employee firm is planning to build a 120,000-square- foot "signature" building in the Gateway Office Park.

The announcement is expected by summer, said Story, who added that the average salary at this firm is $90,000 a year.

"My job is to be an optimist because I sell Howard County. But I'm as optimistic as I've been in a number of years," Story said at a recent meeting of the county's Spending Affordability Committee.

Another indicator of business confidence, Story said, is that developers are planning a seven-story, 200,000-square-foot office building in the Gateway park without any space leased ahead of time.

They are going ahead "on the assumption that the Lord will provide," he said. Since 2002, the vacancy rates for office buildings has shrunk, from 16.6 percent to 11.7 percent, and industrial vacancies have been halved in the same period.

Another quarter-million square feet is going up as a six-story building in the Montpelier Research Park in the 7600 block Montpelier Road.

Ronald Weinstein, the county budget director, said the activity is welcome, though the huge increase in house prices over the past few years has made commercial projects a smaller proportion of the county's total assessable base.

It now represents about 18 percent or 19 percent of the total, but the uptick in commercial construction is an important part of the county's revenue picture.

"To me, it means we're going to continue to have growth in the property tax revenues," Weinstein said.

"It's important because it has less of a draw in county expenditures because there are no children going to school" as in residential developments, he said.

The residential portion of the tax base is five times the size of the commercial portion, Story added.

"Residential is bigger and growing faster," he said.

Story said growth in the financial services and health care industries is primarily fueling the commercial construction boom, and some of the buildings are the result of job growth at the National Security Agency at Fort Meade in Anne Arundel County.

"We're the bull's eye between Baltimore and Washington," Story said, and the jobs coming to the area as part of the federal Base Realignment and Closure process will only boost the trend further.

As open land available for development becomes more scarce in the county, redevelopment will become more common - with the much-discussed plans for central Columbia the prime example, Story said.

"Surface parking in Howard County will be a fond memory. It's going to be exciting," Story said, explaining that as more buildings are constructed on what are now parking lots, multiple-story garages will have to be built to hold vehicles.

State property assessor Howard Levenson talked more about the residential housing market.

Despite frequent news stories about slow home sales, Levenson said, "now we're in a normal market."

Prices haven't decreased, he said. "The number of sales is what has decreased."

Despite huge assessment increases in western Ellicott City and the River Hill area on homes revalued in 2006, Renee Mierczak, assistant supervisor of assessments for Howard County, said the number of people appealing their new assessments is about on a par with last year.

"I don't think values are going to go down. The tax base will continue to rise," Levenson told the group, which is studying the county's economy in preparation for recommending how much borrowing County Executive Ken Ulman should propose for next fiscal year.

Story said one offshoot of the sales slowdown in houses is a tightening rental apartment market, partly because people uncertain about buying a home are waiting and renting.

One-bedroom apartments are renting now for $1,000 and higher, and larger units cost up to $1,800 a month, plus utilities and parking fees, Story said.

[email protected]
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #306
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

The Zenith is actually a lot more brick than you think. I agree it would have been great had they made it taller. The Hilton Hotel is just going to be a big ugly box. My hopes for it aren't very high, although it's hard to imagine how such an important project could turn out looking so badly.
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #307
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Yeah, but the density should make up for the lackluster architecture of the Hilton. IMHO.
Old January 29th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #308
scando

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post

Nate
You're right on this. Downtown, waterfront, etc get most of the publicity but the north and northwest of the city have carried the tax base burden of the city for decades and still are full of great places to live. They are also much more cradle-to-grave neighborhoods than the young-pro/empty nest population of the cooler inner parts of the city. We don't have any shortage of trees in this part of town. If you zoom in on Google Earth, you can really visualize the greenery quotient. I started a photo series on the area once from the high rises of Canturbury Tuscany to the wilds of Mt Washington and the area around Cross Country Blvd, but got distracted and never finished it. I'd also like to do one specifically on Falls Road, which is an amazing anachronism. From Penn Station through Hampden/Woodbury, the old industrial buildings, through the flood zones, narrow winding curves where streetcars still run (the museum) and railyards, and out to the pristine C1810 stone village of Rockland which seems long-ago distant but is almost walking distance outside the city and still inside the beltway. One of these days.
scando no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 06:30 AM   #309
scando

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpav View Post
I was at my gym at the power plant looking out the window and noticed that there really aren't that many trees. Many of the tree holes in the sidewalk didn't even have any trees in them. Hopefully they will plant new ones in the spring because this is right on Pratt St. and should be the best looking street in the city.
They might be waiting a design from the proposed Pratt St remake. There are lots of trees in the berms along Pratt but these might be going if they tear out the berms.

Last edited by scando; January 29th, 2007 at 06:37 AM.
scando no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #310
scando

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Yeah, but the density should make up for the lackluster architecture of the Hilton. IMHO.
I suspect that the Zenith, the Hampton Inn and the Hilton will really add to the critical mass of the area around the Convention Center and Camden Yards, something that has been lacking. This area has been a windy dead zone when there isn't a game. I guess you can't have great architecture every time, but lots of people and activity can overcome the lack of design.
scando no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:16 AM   #311
Balmurfan

Likes (Received): 308

Virginia biotech plans to build $15M research plant in Baltimore

Cel-Sci, a Virginia-based biotech firm with offices in Baltimore, plans to build a $15 million manufacturing plant here to produce its first cancer drug, which after 24 years is heading into final testing.

Cel-Sci is partnering with California-based developer BioProperties Inc., which has an office in Washington, D.C., to build a 30,000-square-foot plant near its facility at Seton Industrial Park in Baltimore City. Set to open next summer, the plant will be used to produce Cel-Sci's complicated blend of cytokines, or immune system proteins, that make up its lead drug Multikine.

This post and the next several are from the BBJ and unfortunalty I don't have access to the entire article.
Balmurfan no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:17 AM   #312
Balmurfan

Panera Bread stakes out spot in downtown

Officials at Panera Bread Co. are finalizing a deal to open a 5,000-square-foot cafe at a new retail center for its first downtown Baltimore location.

Managers at Lemek LLC, an Elkridge firm that operates all of Maryland's 34 Panera franchises, plan to open a store in May at Lockwood Place, at the corner of Pratt Street and Market Place, said Sheree Wu, Lemek's marketing manager
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:18 AM   #313
Balmurfan

New trash hauling facility to bring 145 jobs to city site

Groundbreaking is set to begin next week on a new Waste Management hauling facility in Baltimore City that is expected to bring about 145 jobs to the Fairfield area.

Waste Management of Maryland Inc. is planning to relocate its Baltimore-area operations from a smaller property in Elkridge to the Fairfield Business Park in Baltimore City, said Lisa Kardell, director of public affairs for Waste Management's Virginia and Maryland region. Kardell said the property could be ready by June.
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #314
Balmurfan

Hale's Canton site in hunt for grocery

A new master plan for Edwin Hale Sr.'s Canton Crossing calls for an upscale grocery store and a department store for the East Baltimore development.

Retail brokers for developer Hale Properties LLC envision an upscale grocer like a Whole Foods and a department store like Filene's Basement, though not specifically those brands, said Ryan Wilner, a broker with KLNB Retail in Towson.
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #315
Balmurfan

It's great to see all the positive things happing around the city. I am still waiting anxiously, but impatiently for news about 300 East Pratt, H10, new arena and now what will hopefully be extremely good news regarding the BDC talks with a "large company".
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #316
bmore87
B-MORE LIKE US

Likes (Received): 2

I got settled in Frostburg last night and let me tell you guys how amazing it was to see no snow on I68 until I turned off onto the Frostburg exit. To make matters even more difficult, the weather channel here is calling for snow showers all the way up til next Monday! All I got to say is brrrrrrr. I wished for snow and I got it. There's no way I can back down from that now.
bmore87 no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #317
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

True

It will make the area busier and hopefully add employment to Baltimore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
I suspect that the Zenith, the Hampton Inn and the Hilton will really add to the critical mass of the area around the Convention Center and Camden Yards, something that has been lacking. This area has been a windy dead zone when there isn't a game. I guess you can't have great architecture every time, but lots of people and activity can overcome the lack of design.
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #318
wada_guy
Oh say can YOU see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springer View Post
Excellent article I especially like this line "$5 billion in highway and transit projects on its priority list, said Bob Leib, an aide to the county executive, including extension of the Washington Metro's Green Line to Fort Meade, which could cost about $3 billion. ".

Could Maryland officials actually be on the ball with this whole BRAC thing? They seem very bullish about the economic growth potential surprisingly. The media coverage has been good and putting Lt. Gov Brown in the mix gives it even more importance.
I sure hope they don't take 3/5 ths of the funds for that. Most (60%) of the jobs are expected to be in the Aberdeen Proving Ground area which is in Harford County north of Baltimore.

Last edited by wada_guy; January 29th, 2007 at 01:55 PM.
wada_guy no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #319
wada_guy
Oh say can YOU see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian21 View Post
I was downtown the other day and there seems to be another crane rising at the Convention Center Hotel site. Hopefully it will finally start to rise up from the ground.

Yeah, I reported that back in December. It seems to be stuck. This photo was taken on 12/23/06. You can see the stub.

Last edited by wada_guy; January 29th, 2007 at 01:53 PM.
wada_guy no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #320
jpav

Anybody get the feeling that there are going to be to many eating establishments in Lockwood Palce with the addition of Panera? Is Lockwood totally filled up now?
jpav no está en línea  

Closed Thread