daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 27th, 2007, 04:19 AM   #3201
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

^I didn't suggest big box necessarily; I said of that calibur. I did read your post, I simply disagree with it.

Downtown is more convenient for more people than any other location. It really is the center (or close to the center of Baltimore population). The transportation network is more centered there than anywhere else.

I'm not suggesting we don't have high end stores, I'm suggesting include a broad range of mainstream level goods. I don't want to have to go to NW Plaza for everything because I'm not well-to-do. Is that convenient for John Q. Baltimorean in Waverly? No. But downtown is convenient for most. Service Baltimore first. I think the Westside can become that, again--the best place for a large cluster of retail.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2007, 04:38 AM   #3202
southbalto

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
FWIW, that grand house at the SW corner of Calvert and North is for sale, listed at $320,000. It's gutted and stabilized and ready for complete rehab.

Nate
I guess it was only a matter of time before that 20' by 15' section of the front wall fell onto the sidewalk. Pretty spectacular.........
southbalto no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 05:03 AM   #3203
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia_Lvs_Baltimore View Post
Can someone please explain to me why is it that anything built outside of Baltimore is looked at as a challenge? This National Harbor is going to help us as a state. It's going to, as the article said, gives us a nice balance so that we have key economic generators in every region of the state.
Youre right.. in the market of states Maryland is better off versus other states. in the market of cities, however, Baltimore is competing against other counties within MD. Therefore, this IS competition FOR BALTIMORE.

Other people want to bring up these topics of unification but you have to understand in certain markets we will be working together, eg MD vs VA, but all markets can be narrowed making groups who are cooperating in one competing in another.

Be aware of the scopes of markets and who the competitors are.
House3780 no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 05:08 AM   #3204
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

That Pepsi Sign along 83 is definitely broken. I sure hope they fix it.
The MICA Dorm is looking impressive so far. Its taller than the RK&K building now.
House3780 no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 05:29 AM   #3205
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by House3780 View Post
Youre right.. in the market of states Maryland is better off versus other states. in the market of cities, however, Baltimore is competing against other counties within MD. Therefore, this IS competition FOR BALTIMORE.
well-said.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 05:31 AM   #3206
pennster

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
^I didn't suggest big box necessarily; I said of that calibur. I did read your post, I simply disagree with it.

Downtown is more convenient for more people than any other location. It really is the center (or close to the center of Baltimore population). The transportation network is more centered there than anywhere else.

I'm not suggesting we don't have high end stores, I'm suggesting include a broad range of mainstream level goods. I don't want to have to go to NW Plaza for everything because I'm not well-to-do. Is that convenient for John Q. Baltimorean in Waverly? No. But downtown is convenient for most. Service Baltimore first. I think the Westside can become that, again--the best place for a large cluster of retail.

Nate
Remember a few posts back, we were discussing that you don't have to be well-to-do in order to buy from an upscale store once in a while.

Nobody (especially me) is saying that Westside wouldn't be good for moderate retail. In fact that would probably be its best use since it isn't within easy walking distance from the Inner Harbor. Service Baltimore to the east and west of downtown, then you'll have convenient shopping for the centers of population. Leave downtown for the destination shopping. You want to draw people from the Inner Harbor into the rest of downtown, but it has to be within easy walking distance. The Westside could be good for more the more moderate/everyday shopping that you're looking for since it is more likely that nowadays a higher end retail district would develop closer to the Inner Harbor.
pennster no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #3207
scando

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by House3780 View Post
That Pepsi Sign along 83 is definitely broken. I sure hope they fix it.
The MICA Dorm is looking impressive so far. Its taller than the RK&K building now.
This building seems to be moving along quite fast. MICA is really developing a campus lately and it is dragging the rest of Mt Royal along with it.
scando no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 07:01 AM   #3208
MountVEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
Pratt St wouldn't do well to have too much high end. It's customer base needs to include not only high-end Ritz dwellers but tourists, lunchers and local people visiting the harbor. Note that a big part of the new retail there now includes Best Buy, Barnes and Noble, Urban Outfitters and an upcoming Panera, all of which are pretty middle of the road. Even Filene's is ostensibly discounted good stuff. We just don't have enough income heft there to support a lot of high end retail.
I Don't know about you, but I know alot of young professionals who live in Baltimore and have alot of single twenty-somethings with expendible income to waste on high-end clothes. The problem is, now, everyone has to go to Georgetown to spend it.
MountVEE no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #3209
MountVEE

Too add another thing, I highly doubt the West side will ever live up to it's glory days of retail. I know Howard Street was where everything use to be but now it's just so obcsure, run-down/demolished, and out of the way, I highly doubt any major stores, other than the everyday discount variety, would ever consider it. Give it up. It had its day, long ago when the waterfront was nothing but industrial property. It makes sense. Now? Not so much. Maybe i'm a pessimist. Maybe i'm an optimist. i don't know. To me (as a relative baltimore newcomer), it has ALWAYS seemed clear that Federal Hill, Fells Point, and Mount Vernon are some of the only downtown neighborhoods that have the architectural UMPH to pull-off any high end shopping. "Center City" is Blah and full of post-war, retail-less office buildings that empty at night. West end is blown out and obscure. Pratt and Light/calvert is WAY too distracting and traffic-filled. Retail always needs an "enclave" to thrive in. Trust me. I design retail architecture. I know what stores look for. Those three neighborhoods are by far the most attractive neighborhoods in downtown. Maybe leasable footprints or landlords or whatever don't technically work but they'll make it. Fells Point, IMO, is a an absolute star-bound neighborhood. When you bring people there from out-of-town, their jaws drop. It's just too good to give it away to trashy people that have occupied it for the last 40 years. And this is coming from a former resident. Harbor East and Fells Point will merge into one shopping destination. That's my guess for the future of high end shopping. It's only a matter of time. Final Answer

Last edited by MountVEE; April 27th, 2007 at 07:46 AM.
MountVEE no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #3210
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Well, that's an interesting point of view. The Harbor East/Fells Point idea sounds promising.
Old April 27th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #3211
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by folsomfanatic View Post

i'll see if i can find it. we had it during the pratt street project. from what i remember, the building is fairly plain and isn't really a focal point. it'll just add to the urban fabric and that's about it. i am not a fan of the drop off that will be on pratt street. one more thing to chop up the pedestrian environment.
As I recall, wasn't it almost a mirror of the Homor Gronski (sic) Building diagionally across the street? The below picture shows that structure and I think the new building will look similar - including a curved wall at Lombard and Paca Streets..

EYE CANDY: Whiting Turner's web site

http://www.whiting-turner.com

Here is some eye candy for you all. When you go to the projects page and select a project type, there is more than 1 page of projects for each type. Use the down arrow at the very bottom of the page under the last picture to see them all. It is very easy to overlook.

A Different Turner Company:
Iconic Office Inches to 100% Occupancy

By Erika Morphy

250 W. Pratt St.

BALTIMORE-Turner Construction has picked up 6,657 sf in Baltimore’s iconic office building, 250 W. Pratt St. According to a spokeswoman for Cushman & Wakefield, the new lease brings the occupancy up to 91%. The building’s owner, Addison, Texas-based Behringer Harvard Funds, opted to sign a new leasing agreement with C&W at the beginning of the month. After CB Richard Ellis acquired Trammell Crow last year and the leasing agents that were handling its building left the firm, it had the option of either finding a new brokerage firm, remaining with CBRE, or following the team that had been handling leasing for the 368,194-sf tower for the last three years.

It chose to follow Tim Jackson, T. Courtenay Jenkins and Whitney Nye, who had moved to C&W’s recently established Baltimore office at the beginning of the year. The Turner Construction lease is the first new lease the trio has signed for Behringer Harvard Funds under the C&W flag, a spokeswoman tells GlobeSt.com.

Turner Construction is moving from its current location at 10400 Little Patuxent Pkwy. in Columbia, MD to Baltimore. Behringer Harvard Funds is planning a lobby renovation to include new lighting and wall finishes. It bought the 24-story, class A building in December 2004 for approximately $52 million.

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; April 27th, 2007 at 02:37 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:10 PM   #3212
scando

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountVEE View Post
I Don't know about you, but I know alot of young professionals who live in Baltimore and have alot of single twenty-somethings with expendible income to waste on high-end clothes. The problem is, now, everyone has to go to Georgetown to spend it.
That's quite true but that is a narrow slice of the retail market. It's possible to support some retail with that sector, but Baltimore's downtown, young-pro, shopping-downtown population is still pretty thin. For evidence, just look at the difference in the crowds in stores in and out of tourist seasons.

In addition, historically, Baltimore in general (not just downtown or the city) has always been known as a pretty narrow place for high end shopping. We seem to be a cheapskate population; a glance at fashions you see walking around on the street in and out of the city will tell you that. While some people have always grinched at that idea and did their shopping in DC or New York or whatever, the mid range retailers have continued, decade after decade to rake in most of the bucks. If downtown misses that unglamorous fact, they do so at their own peril.
scando no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #3213
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by folsomfanatic View Post

i'll see if i can find it. we had it during the pratt street project. from what i remember, the building is fairly plain and isn't really a focal point. it'll just add to the urban fabric and that's about it. i am not a fan of the drop off that will be on pratt street. one more thing to chop up the pedestrian environment.

check this link:

http://bp1.blogger.com/_9FpPsebMAiY/...ncept_plan.jpg

you'll see the footprint of the building in the plan.
Thanks, folsom (and 30 Floors) ... good data. Agree on the drop-off. Ech. Looks like the west and north facades of the Paca-Pratt building are going to be absorbed into the new project. Hmmmm.

The Pratt Street plan in the link could start a few threads ... would love to see the Garmatz Federal Court House across from the Conv. Ctr. relo-ed and anchor retail go on that site.
jamie_hunt no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #3214
getontrac

I remember The Sun posted an image of the building early on when it was first announced. I seem to recall it having a square footprint and being reasonably attractive and sympatric with their other recent constructions (per their master plan design guidelines). It is to have 3 levels of parking underground.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #3215
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2654

A bit off-topic, but the lineup for the Virgin Music Festival was announced today, and, while I won't be in attendance, I'm pretty impressed. Not since the heydays of the HFStival have I seen so many big name acts in Baltimore.

Quote:
On Saturday, the Police and Beastie Boys are joined by Modest Mouse, Amy Winehouse, Cheap Trick, The Fratellis, Incubus, Ben Harper, TV on the Radio, Fountains of Wayne, Booka Shade, Danny Tenaglia, LCD Soundsystem, Miguel Migs, Paolo Nutini, Peter Bjorn and John, Sander Van Doorn, Sasha & John Digweed and Shout Out Out Out Out.

Sunday features Smashing Pumpkins, Velvet Revolver, 311, Wu Tang Clan, Chris Cornell, Bad Brains, CSS, Deep Dish, Diesel Boy and Andy C w/ MC GQ and MC Messinian, Felix Da Housecat, Fiction Plane, Girl Talk, Infected Mushroom, Interpol, James Zabiela, M.I.A., Matisyahu, Regina Spektor, Spoon, The Crystal Method DJ Seet and Yeah Yeah Yeahs.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #3216
waj0527

Likes (Received): 468

^is that are Pimlico or M&T Bank Stadium?
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #3217
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2654

Pimlico. Pimlico is becoming Baltimore's concert venue. Both the Virgin Festival and the HFStival are being held there this summer.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #3218
jamie_hunt

UMMC ambulatory care center SE corner Lombard and Greene

Quote:
I remember The Sun posted an image of the building early on when it was first announced. I seem to recall it having a square footprint and being reasonably attractive and sympatric with their other recent constructions (per their master plan design guidelines). It is to have 3 levels of parking underground.

Nate
Good news. Thanks, Nate. Better news is, that's five surface parking lots in that immediate vicinity being built on: two for the Hilton, one each for the Hampton Inn, Zenith, and this project. On to Charles Street in Mount Vernon! ;-)
Old April 27th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #3219
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Thanks, folsom (and 30 Floors) ... good data. Agree on the drop-off. Ech. Looks like the west and north facades of the Paca-Pratt building are going to be absorbed into the new project. Hmmmm.

The Pratt Street plan in the link could start a few threads ... would love to see the Garmatz Federal Court House across from the Conv. Ctr. relo-ed and anchor retail go on that site.
Wasn't there a discussion a while ago that the feds wanted a new courthouse, because the current one is getting dated? We could hope to get a new courthouse like Seattle's, at 400+ ft.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #3220
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudibjr View Post
Wasn't there a discussion a while ago that the feds wanted a new courthouse, because the current one is getting dated? We could hope to get a new courthouse like Seattle's, at 400+ ft.
Cleveland's new federal courthouse is pretty tall and stylin', too.

Closed Thread