daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 27th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #3221
Xander21
B-More Believer

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
Pimlico. Pimlico is becoming Baltimore's concert venue. Both the Virgin Festival and the HFStival are being held there this summer.
There's going to be an HFStival this year? HFS doesn't even play music anymore, except streaming online.

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #3222
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

99.1 went loco years ago, but HFS lived on in primetime on 105.7 for Baltimore and 106.7 for DC... the HFStival has still occurred each year since 99.1 went to spanish programming. The HFStival is actually just a stop on a national tour. Most of the major cities have their own "hfstival" with just about the same line ups each year, so even if HFS didnt exist, this concert would still happen, probably just under a different name.
House3780 no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #3223
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

I nabbed this off the Toronto forum, originally posted by Goku.

Quote:
NORTH AMERICAN CITIES OF THE FUTURE

1. Chicago, Ill., USA

2. Toronto, Ont., Canada

3. Pittsburgh, Pa., USA

4. Atlanta, Ga., USA

5. Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico

6. Baltimore, Md., USA

7. Montreal, Que., Canada

8. Mexico City, Federal District, Mexico

9. Boston, Mass., USA

10. Miami, Fla., USA

Toronto finishes second in North America behind Chicago

Apr 27, 2007 11:23 AM
Curtis Rush
Staff Reporter

Toronto has been named runner-up in a British financial magazine's ranking of North America's Cities of the Future.

Chicago was named the top major city by Foreign Direct Investment, the business magazine of the Financial Times of London.

Researchers took more than six months to assess cities on their potential to attract investment projects.

Chicago was selected for its ambitious development plans, massive infrastructure development, reasonable location costs and energetic regional economy.

Toronto scored high for its good affordable housing, low crime levels, strong health and education sectors and falling unemployment.

Cities were grouped in four categories, according to population, and rated on seven criteria: Economic potential, cost effectiveness, human resources, quality of life, infrastructure, business friendliness and development and investment promotion.

Toronto was selected as the top major city for quality of life, ranked fourth for best development and investment promotion, ranked fifth for best human resources and fourth for best infrastructure.

The overall winner is the city that scored the most points across all seven categories.

One other Canadian city made the top-10 list. Montreal came in at No. 7 behind Chicago, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Guadalajara, Mexico, and Baltimore. After Montreal came Mexico City, Boston and Miami at No. 10.

Windsor was named the top small North American city of the future, beating out Huntsville, Ala., for cities with populations between 100,000 and 500,000. London, Ont., was No. 4 and Waterloo came in at No. 5, while Chatham, at No. 9, and Saskatoon rounded out the top 10.

The only Canadian city on the top 10 list of large cities, with a population between 500,000 and 2 million, was Edmonton at No. 4.

However, two Canadian cities made the top-10 list of micro cities of the future - those with a population under 100,000.

Sarnia was No. 3 and Fredericton, N.B., was No. 8. The winner in that category was Zapata, Texas.
This is just another article in relation to the same survey that wada mentioned a few days ago, so I won't comment too much on this, but I have to wonder what is going on in Pittsburgh that makes it rank #3... This survey also flies in the face of another article that identified Chicago as the city that will experience the least amount of economic growth in the near future. That same article named Seattle and Philadelphia as the cities that stand to grow the most. I can't remember where I found that article at the moment, but it was an interesting read.
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #3224
pennster

Likes (Received): 7

I'm not giving that article a lick of consideration. For a few of those cities, I'll believe it all when I see it. It was also extraordinarily surprising not to see DC or Philadelphia in any part of the list, only a section of which is shown in that article. It would be difficult for a group of organizations, let alone one, to "rate" an entire CITY's ability to attract investment, especially in the future.

Last edited by pennster; April 27th, 2007 at 11:05 PM.
pennster no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #3225
B'moreOrioles
B'MORE LIKE CHARM CITY

Likes (Received): 2

Aww come on!! Give it a rest will ya? Stop hating!
B'moreOrioles no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2007, 04:18 AM   #3226
pennster

Who's hating? I don't believe everything the media spits out, including sensational stories that try to list things based on broad and incomplete assumptions. Sure, I'd like to believe Baltimore is a North American "city of the future", and it has a lot of things going for it, but to try to list things based on how successful they'll be in the future isn't very responsible. So we'll see.
Old April 28th, 2007, 06:41 AM   #3227
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Cleveland's new federal courthouse is pretty tall and stylin', too.
That is pretty stylin, its like if the Zenith was givin a full blown Baltimore hat.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #3228
scando

Likes (Received): 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
A bit off-topic, but the lineup for the Virgin Music Festival was announced today, and, while I won't be in attendance, I'm pretty impressed. Not since the heydays of the HFStival have I seen so many big name acts in Baltimore.
I went to last year's one day event but this one seems much bigger. Last year, however, it was in September. I can see that spending 2 days in that big, flat open race course in early August will be pretty trying, heat wise. No shade at all out there. The will need a bunch of mist tents. I hope they get things working better this time. Last year the sound system really sucked for most of the day.
scando no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2007, 07:05 AM   #3229
scando

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountVEE View Post
Too add another thing, I highly doubt the West side will ever live up to it's glory days of retail. I know Howard Street was where everything use to be but now it's just so obcsure, run-down/demolished, .....
I don't think any of these areas can ever live up to the glory days. In the glory days, what is now the West Side had a half dozen major department stores and 12 live vaudeville theaters/first run movies as well as numerous smaller stores, restaurants, etc. That worked then because there was NO other serious shopping in the Baltimore area. Department stores hadn't branched out, there were no malls in the burbs, no big box stores, no fake town centers, no cineplexes, etc. Howard St was Baltimore's combination of Times Square and 5th Avenue.

If you wanted the good stuff, you dressed up in your Sunday best, got on the streetcar and came downtown. The only shopping in the burbs was the mom-and-pop store, the feed store, Jakes Hardware, etc, all small stuff. None of this will ever happen again. I think we will have to live with the fact that our retail sector in the city will have to adjust to the local population, day visitors and the tourists. As much as we might not like it, the low-end stores that exist on Howard now, will continue to be part of the picture. I'm real happy to see what has been developing on Pratt St and Harbor East. I think it will be quite a while before we know how things will develop in the West Side. It will depend on residents, office workers, etc, but the glory days are past.
scando no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #3230
scando

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennster View Post
Who's hating? I don't believe everything the media spits out, including sensational stories that try to list things based on broad and incomplete assumptions. Sure, I'd like to believe Baltimore is a North American "city of the future", and it has a lot of things going for it, but to try to list things based on how successful they'll be in the future isn't very responsible. So we'll see.
Stuff gets rated and listed all the time. Nobody bothers much with the validity of the lists and most people forget them as soon as the publication hits the recycling bin. If you are a city promoter, you save the ones you like and forget the ones you don't. These lists are the equivalent of the celebrity stalker magazines' list of who has the most or least cellulite on their butt.
scando no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #3231
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
I don't think any of these areas can ever live up to the glory days. In the glory days, what is now the West Side had a half dozen major department stores and 12 live vaudeville theaters/first run movies as well as numerous smaller stores, restaurants, etc. That worked then because there was NO other serious shopping in the Baltimore area. Department stores hadn't branched out, there were no malls in the burbs, no big box stores, no fake town centers, no cineplexes, etc. Howard St was Baltimore's combination of Times Square and 5th Avenue.

If you wanted the good stuff, you dressed up in your Sunday best, got on the streetcar and came downtown. The only shopping in the burbs was the mom-and-pop store, the feed store, Jakes Hardware, etc, all small stuff. None of this will ever happen again. I think we will have to live with the fact that our retail sector in the city will have to adjust to the local population, day visitors and the tourists. As much as we might not like it, the low-end stores that exist on Howard now, will continue to be part of the picture. I'm real happy to see what has been developing on Pratt St and Harbor East. I think it will be quite a while before we know how things will develop in the West Side. It will depend on residents, office workers, etc, but the glory days are past.

It probably isn't likely to resemble the past in magnitude, but we have a much higher overall metropolitan population to draw from, so in theory, the potential for a highly dynamic scene is possible.

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #3232
micrip

Likes (Received): 1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Hmmm. Pretty sure it burned down, and that the building you're referring to used to be the home of WCBM ... now Heaven 600?

OK, will stop now before launching into a riff about what an amazing neighborhood that was in the 50s and 60s. Wasn't even a gleam in me parent's eyes then, but the stories are written in the buildings there that, ah, didn't burn down.
It was the Carlins Park rink that burned down, around 1958. My dad was there that night. He had gone to a hockey game, and a few hours later, the place burned to the ground. I was sick in bed and vaugely remember the TV coverage at the time...there was a big snowstorm that same night.
micrip está en línea ahora  
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #3233
pennster

Quote:
Stuff gets rated and listed all the time. Nobody bothers much with the validity of the lists and most people forget them as soon as the publication hits the recycling bin. If you are a city promoter, you save the ones you like and forget the ones you don't. These lists are the equivalent of the celebrity stalker magazines' list of who has the most or least cellulite on their butt.
Exactly....so let's stop posting them!
Old April 28th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #3234
MountVEE

Quote:
Stuff gets rated and listed all the time. Nobody bothers much with the validity of the lists and most people forget them as soon as the publication hits the recycling bin. If you are a city promoter, you save the ones you like and forget the ones you don't.
My favorite one was the "fittest and fattest" cities in the country by Men's Fitness magazine. Baltimore was #1 most fit and Chicago was #1 most fat!

Ha! That's hilarious.If so, then where are all these hard-bodied people? I don't even think Miami, LA or San Diego were mentioned.

I don't know how the come up with that information but it must be wrong.
MountVEE no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #3235
LilMoeJoeJoe

Likes (Received): 20

M&T Bank Stadium

Does anyone else wonder why the Maryland Stadium Authority doesn't pursue a college bowl game or maybe the world championships of track and field for M&T Bank Stadium? It's too nice a facility to sit empty for much of the year. Maybe they could have an occasional European soccer game there much like the NFL does in preseason overseas. It would be great to see Chelsea vs Newcastle at M&T Bank stadium. Although it would be a single event, it would put B-more in the spotlight.
LilMoeJoeJoe no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #3236
BigBalto1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Hal Wheeler e-mailed me and told me that Stern is still the architect. The "texas Firm" is just additional players.
Who is the "texas Firm"?????
BigBalto1 no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #3237
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2660

In fairness to the article I posted, I don't think it warrants a comparion between the "Cities of the Future" and the "Fattest and Fittest" and the like, or a comparison between Foreign Direct Investment of the Financial Times of London and any of the rag magazines previously mentioned. Perhaps the most notable difference is that Baltimore, and every other city involved, was required to submit a bid to the Financial Times. That bid was then put to a three judge panel who examined each bid with regards to the criteria listed below. The entire process takes about a year, and the competition occurs once every two years. While nobody is claiming that being on this list is a guarantee that Baltimore will be a "City of the Future," I definitely think this is a little more of an honor than being named "The Best City of Singles" by some writer looking for an interesting article to sell. There were 108 North American cities that submitted bids for this years competition, including just about every major North American city (Philadelphia included ).

Anyway, here is the list of criteria that was evaluated. How each city stacked up against one another in the individual categories can be found on Foreign Direct Investment's website www.fdimagazine.com

Quote:
CATEGORIES & CRITERIA:

Economic potential
• Economic potential [judged]
• GDP
• GDP growth
• Level of inward investment
• FDI deals [judged]

Cost effectiveness
• Out-of-town office rent
• Centrally located office rent
• Industrial rent
• Secretarial salaries
• Middle management salaries
• Manual labour rates

Human resources
• Universities [judged]
• Number of 2006 graduates
• Percentage of population with a degree

Transport
• Transport [judged]
IT and telecommunications
• Phone lines per 1000 people
• Mobile phone ownership (% of population)
• Broadband connectivity (% of population)
• Maximum broadband speed available
• Telecommunication charges

Quality of life for expatriates
• Housing [judged]
• Hospitals [judged]
• International schools [judged]
• Natural and cultural heritage [judged]

Best FDI promotion strategy
• Promotion strategy [judged ]
• Three biggest attractions for FDI [judged]
• Incentives [judged]
• Infrastructure and urban planning projects [judged]
PeterSmith no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #3238
scottbbfm

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMoeJoeJoe View Post
Does anyone else wonder why the Maryland Stadium Authority doesn't pursue a college bowl game or maybe the world championships of track and field for M&T Bank Stadium? It's too nice a facility to sit empty for much of the year. Maybe they could have an occasional European soccer game there much like the NFL does in preseason overseas. It would be great to see Chelsea vs Newcastle at M&T Bank stadium. Although it would be a single event, it would put B-more in the spotlight.
A track doesn't fit in the inner bowl...bowl game is a little more feasable, but College Football just isn't that big around here, and besides the Holiday Bowl in Boise, Idaho, it would be the farthest north of any bowl game thats not in a dome. Bowl games are typically warm-weather events.
scottbbfm no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:50 PM   #3239
pennster

I'd like to see Chelsea vs Liverpool!
Old April 29th, 2007, 01:04 AM   #3240
rxsoccer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennster View Post
I'd like to see Chelsea vs Liverpool!
I wouldn't be surprised to see a game like that in the near future. In the most recent article talking about the plans for the stadium use, they mentioned a strong desire to get a recurring, high profile soccer match at M&T. I went a few years back to see AC Milan vs Barcelona at RFK and that was very successful (it turned out to be Ronaldhino's first game with barcelona too). An annual game of that quality would be incredible! Best of all, sounds like a realistic dream for us to have.
rxsoccer no está en línea  

Closed Thread