daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 1st, 2007, 12:23 AM   #3261
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2694

Wasn't the idea floated around maybe a year or two ago about Oldtown and Jonestown being prime for high-rise development, especially for hotels? I have a vague recollection of something to that effect.

Also, speaking of the scar that the JFX creates across the city, what ever happened to the plans to terminte the JFK further north and turn its southern portion into a grand boulevard? Was that just a pipe dream?

Last edited by PeterSmith; May 1st, 2007 at 12:36 AM.
PeterSmith no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2007, 02:39 AM   #3262
LilMoeJoeJoe

Likes (Received): 20

Mexicana leaving BWI

For the life of me I can't understand why BWI cannot attract and sustain international air service? The population is there and there seems to be lots of growth in Baltimore and around BWI Airport. I truly believe that the state of Maryland has proven that they don't know how to grow this part of the business.

Mexicana pulling out again
After just a year and a half, Mexicana Airlines says it is suspending service from BWI to Mexico City. It's the second time the airline has launched and then retracted at the airport. Officials thought that business travelers would make this round a go. But the airline said yesterday that it was "restructuring" and the planes will head back to Mexico permanently. That leaves about a half dozen international carriers at BWI.
LilMoeJoeJoe no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 03:49 AM   #3263
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
Wasn't the idea floated around maybe a year or two ago about Oldtown and Jonestown being prime for high-rise development, especially for hotels? I have a vague recollection of something to that effect.
yeah, i remember this. former raven michael mccrary was in on one of the bids for redeveloping the oldtown area along with five other bids. i guess they all went belly up.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 03:56 AM   #3264
scottbbfm

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMoeJoeJoe View Post
For the life of me I can't understand why BWI cannot attract and sustain international air service? The population is there and there seems to be lots of growth in Baltimore and around BWI Airport. I truly believe that the state of Maryland has proven that they don't know how to grow this part of the business.

Mexicana pulling out again
After just a year and a half, Mexicana Airlines says it is suspending service from BWI to Mexico City. It's the second time the airline has launched and then retracted at the airport. Officials thought that business travelers would make this round a go. But the airline said yesterday that it was "restructuring" and the planes will head back to Mexico permanently. That leaves about a half dozen international carriers at BWI.

Baltimore's international day will come once Southwest and Ryanair go international. The open skies amendment was approved in March and actually signed today. (As a refresher, the open skies amendment will allow any US or European Carrier to fly to any US or European city) Baltimore is really the only east coast airport with the size and available capacity to handle a signficicant amount of international traffic, and will be a natural choice for Southwest, as it is its busiest (by far) east coast airport.
scottbbfm no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:24 AM   #3265
micrip

Likes (Received): 1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpietropaoli View Post
I was wondering if anyone had information on two properties, one being the former CVS building on Fort Avenue between Marshall and Patapsco Sts. This building has sat vacant for a long time, and it was my understanding that Federal Hill Development Group was building new luxury rowhomes. Any idea on how to get info. on this?

Secondly, does anyone know who owns the Southside Shopping Center? Talk about an undervalued asset...this place could be a gold mine of a 50-year anchor lease with big name in-lines, instead there's a low-end grocery store (Shoppers) in a neighborhood where the median income is approaching six figures.
Now-now..Shoppers isn't THAT bad...at least the one in Brooklyn Park. Pretty good produce dept., nice grab and go section, etc. Don't like it too much for meats, though. Truly low-end would be Sav-a-lot, Box n Save, or Food King.
micrip no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:29 PM   #3266
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 823

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
Now-now..Shoppers isn't THAT bad...at least the one in Brooklyn Park. Pretty good produce dept., nice grab and go section, etc. Don't like it too much for meats, though. Truly low-end would be Sav-a-lot, Box n Save, or Food King.
Agreed. I went to Whole Foods in Harbor East and purchased a bottle of peanut oil, a small bag of potato chips, and a loaf of bread last Sunday on my walk home from Bertha's. I kid you not, the bill was $14.08! That's $14.08 for 3 little items! I saw people with a cart load of food and thought, damn, that's $500.
30 Floors Up no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:33 PM   #3267
fanofterps

Likes (Received): 121

Towson U will add 3,000 dorm beds

Should really aid Baltimore and bring in alot of out of state students. Also, they have started an MBA program.

Towson to start 2 new dorms
Phase I of college's West Village project breaks ground today
By Laura Barnhardt
sun reporter
Originally published May 1, 2007

In the Towson area, where community leaders sometimes complain about unruly college students living in their neighborhoods, the university has come up with a place on campus to house a new influx of undergraduates.

The first phase of Towson University's new West Village is made up of two dormitories with a total of 670 beds on university grounds. A groundbreaking ceremony for the project is scheduled for today.

"We're happy to see they're adding housing," said Mike Ertel, president of the Greater Towson Council of Community Associations, an umbrella organization of neighborhood groups and homeowners associations.

But, he said, "They need a lot more."

The West Village dorms will be the first new on-campus student housing since 2000. The first students would live there beginning in August 2008.

Plans call for 10 housing buildings - some apartments, some suite-style dorms - to be built eventually on more than 60 acres near Towsontown Boulevard and Osler Drive.

By 2016, about 3,000 students would be living in the village, said Jack Nye II, director of facilities planning at the university. Every two years, two new buildings at three to five stories each would be completed as part of the $380 million West Village project, he said.

By the fall of 2010, a commons building, which would include dining, recreational and medical facilities, will be complete, according to the plans. Between 2010 and 2014, a multi-story parking structure will be added.

The first phase - a $36 million project - is being developed and will be managed by Capstone Properties, the company that built Towson University's Millennium Hall, which opened in 2000.

The first two dorms will house freshmen and some sophomores, according to campus officials.

Currently, the campus has about 13,539 full-time undergraduate students and about 3,400 beds available in 12 campus dorms, said Carol Dunsworth, a university spokeswoman.

By 2012, the university projects an enrollment of about 13,850 full-time undergraduate students, a 13 percent increase from the decade before.

Some students are now assigned to rooms that were designed for two people but are shared by three. Others are offered discounted temporary rooms created in former study lounges and recreation rooms.

Students living off campus have been a source of tension between the university and neighborhood groups. Two years ago, community leaders were upset by a proposal to build a 600-bed, off-campus dormitory as part of a restaurant and retail development near the York Road traffic circle. The university eventually rejected the plan.

Noise, trash and disruptive behavior by college students only gets worse when there's not enough student housing and they're forced to live off campus, according to Ertel and other neighborhood activists.

"It's destroying some neighborhoods," Ertel said.

The most recent housing built for area college students, University Village, opened in 2002 on the grounds of Sheppard Pratt Healthcare. Developed and managed by American Campus Communities, the complex features saunas, tanning beds, a heated pool and a gym.

The 615 residents there - students from Towson University and other nearby colleges -have private bedrooms and share living rooms and kitchens, with rents that range from $635 to $875 per month.

The 420 students at Millennium Hall have private bedrooms in the four-person furnished apartments. The cost is $7,277 for the academic year, August through May. The cost to live in traditional dorms and apartments on the campus, operated by the university, is less than $6,000 for the academic year.

In the new West Village dorms, two students will share the rooms, each with a private bath. Most floors will be equipped with three study lounges.

[email protected]
fanofterps no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 03:11 PM   #3268
folsomfanatic

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
the shoppers in southside marketplace is an embarassment. compared the the safeway in canton, it's even more ridiculous. produce isn't fresh, the store is always out of items and there are terrible lines all of the time.

i cannot wait for the new store at the chesapeake paperboard site to open to get shoppers to clean up their act.

we've gotten so sick of it that we on;y shop there is we need certain items. safeway has our business!
Old May 1st, 2007, 03:47 PM   #3269
LilMoeJoeJoe

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbbfm View Post
Baltimore's international day will come once Southwest and Ryanair go international. The open skies amendment was approved in March and actually signed today. (As a refresher, the open skies amendment will allow any US or European Carrier to fly to any US or European city) Baltimore is really the only east coast airport with the size and available capacity to handle a signficicant amount of international traffic, and will be a natural choice for Southwest, as it is its busiest (by far) east coast airport.

I personally think they should stop trying to attract new international carriers until either Southwest or Ryanair decides to fly across the pond. The list of carriers that have tried BWI and failed keeps on growing. I wonder how long Air Greenland will last?
LilMoeJoeJoe no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 03:56 PM   #3270
k25150

Likes (Received): 419

I just think the bueaurocrats running the airport could care less about it's success. What's in it for them? "Cool, we made some money this year. Now we can go fix those old bridges, YAY"! It should be privately operated. The monetary incentives will most likely help BWI land more international business. Even domestic. Competition and profits are what motivate businesses. Well, the state isn't in the profititng business.
k25150 no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 04:38 PM   #3271
sdeclue

Likes (Received): 47

Development news is soooooooo slow lately. With the Zenith and Water Tower finishing up, there isn't much going on outside of the Hilton and Silo's Point, as well as the Ritz, a project that never really excited me.

We need more news!!
sdeclue no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 05:17 PM   #3272
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofterps View Post
Should really aid Baltimore and bring in alot of out of state students. Also, they have started an MBA program.

Towson to start 2 new dorms
Phase I of college's West Village project breaks ground today
By Laura Barnhardt
sun reporter
Originally published May 1, 2007

In the Towson area, where community leaders sometimes complain about unruly college students living in their neighborhoods, the university has come up with a place on campus to house a new influx of undergraduates.

The first phase of Towson University's new West Village is made up of two dormitories with a total of 670 beds on university grounds. A groundbreaking ceremony for the project is scheduled for today.
Did there MBA get approved, I know Morgan State was raising a fuss? The west village is only a small part of a greater plan Towson is working on to rebuild a lot of there campus as part of TU:2010.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 05:57 PM   #3273
gohorns

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by k25150 View Post
I just think the bueaurocrats running the airport could care less about it's success. What's in it for them? "Cool, we made some money this year. Now we can go fix those old bridges, YAY"! It should be privately operated. The monetary incentives will most likely help BWI land more international business. Even domestic. Competition and profits are what motivate businesses. Well, the state isn't in the profititng business.

I agree. BWI needs to go private to be able to attract more international service and just do better in general. A private company running BWI will have a greater incentive in making the airport more profitable and attractive as a destination.
gohorns no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:13 PM   #3274
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohorns View Post
I agree. BWI needs to go private to be able to attract more international service and just do better in general. A private company running BWI will have a greater incentive in making the airport more profitable and attractive as a destination.
How will going private help BWI? Actually how many big city airports are private? Airport expansion is not for the financially weak of heart.

While International is lacking, the amount of domestic travelers has grown amazingly under the state. If Southwest goes international or its partner Ryanair comes here, no one will remember that international is lacking now.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:21 PM   #3275
MasonsInquiries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue View Post
Development news is soooooooo slow lately. With the Zenith and Water Tower finishing up, there isn't much going on outside of the Hilton and Silo's Point, as well as the Ritz, a project that never really excited me.

We need more news!!
yeah, we do need more news. but we have to be hopeful that there's going to be news coming soon about 300EP, 10IH, Naing, and even 1 Light Street. i think that of all the projects that are currently underway, i'm a little bit shocked that recreation pier hasn't started yet now that struever is involved. but then again, j.j.'s also involved, so i have to be realistic here........lol.

just took a look at the railway express building right next to penn station. the development there is coming along really well.
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:58 PM   #3276
Huck

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudibjr View Post
How will going private help BWI? Actually how many big city airports are private? Airport expansion is not for the financially weak of heart.

While International is lacking, the amount of domestic travelers has grown amazingly under the state. If Southwest goes international or its partner Ryanair comes here, no one will remember that international is lacking now.
I agree. BWI isn't a major international airport because we are a hub for discount carriers like Southwest. Southwest doesn't have any partnerships with foreign carriers, therefore there is no reason for Air France, KLM, Lufthansa, etc. to fly here. Case in point, 2 weeks ago, I flew home from Paris on Air France. I flew from Paris CDG to Boston Logan on an Air France flight, connected in Boston on a Comair (Delta) flight to BWI. This was done because Delta and Air France have a partnership. Once SW starts international service or partners with Ryanair, I think you will see international travel increase greatly.
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:07 PM   #3277
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudibjr View Post

I think all you have to do is go to the MVA to see what he means.. just making a comparison between Govt and Private. Govt has no insentive to work harder than it has to. Why should it when it has gauranteed income via taxes.

People do what ever the bare minimum is to stay employed and annoy people up to a point just below where they would feel like doing something about it via protests elections.

As much as I cant stand corporate americas greed, the govt's laziness can be just as bad. I wish certain govt institutions would be privatized to increase efficiency and to put employees in the MVA who dont give you that look of "im going to take my sweet old time because Im going to get paid whether it takes me 5 minutes or a half hour to get you out of here." because private companies although not always will actually consider customer service as a part of their responsibilities to its CUSTOMERS/CLIENTS/EMPLOYERS/CONSTITUENTS.

But besides things like efficiency, you can actually get people in there who are specialized in travel and marketing.

PRIVATIZE THE MVA AND DEPARTMENT OF PARKING AND CITATIONS!!!

Im done >_<
House3780 no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:21 PM   #3278
robert parsons

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
yeah, we do need more news. but we have to be hopeful that there's going to be news coming soon about 300EP, 10IH, Naing, and even 1 Light Street. i think that of all the projects that are currently underway, i'm a little bit shocked that recreation pier hasn't started yet now that struever is involved. but then again, j.j.'s also involved, so i have to be realistic here........lol.

just took a look at the railway express building right next to penn station. the development there is coming along really well.
well at least they have started construction of the new leg mason tower and the new apt tower in harbor east finally!!!!!
robert parsons no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:36 PM   #3279
canvasback13

Likes (Received): 0

They haven't started the Legg Mason Tower yet, what you see is the Fourseasons being started.
canvasback13 no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:40 PM   #3280
MasonsInquiries

it's inperative that they start the LM tower 1st. if i'm not mistaken, it has to be built by 2009. by the way, welcome!

Closed Thread